Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mpd2mpd2 Posts: 12
    I know the prices they are charging because I emailed the dealers where members here got great prices. So I have several quotes which are well over a THOUSAND dollars cheaper than the dealers here, who aren't willing to budge on price.

They're staying in business because they're able to profit off uninformed people in my market. I've been one of those people, on my last car purchase when I didn't do my research. Plus, if all the dealers keep their prices similar, people can't shop elsewhere. I really wish we could buy DIRECT from Honda, and cut out the middle man.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,694
    I don't see buying cars direct ever happening but I could be wrong I suppose.

So, don't buy your car there. Simple as that. This is what competition is all about.

A couple of possibilities.

Maybe that dealer simply wants to make a certain amount on every unit he sells.

Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is totally wrapped up in price although it sure seems that way these days. Nothing wrong with a businessman making a decent profit. Yes, he will lose some sales but by making more on every car he doesn't ahve to sell as many to net the same result. Some very small stores and the high end stores will do this.

Is the store in an isolated area or a place like Alaska or Hawaii?

Or maybe this is a store that installs a thousand dollars in unwanted accessories and "forgets" to mention this until you get there?

I think I would just tell them..." ABC Honda will sell it for this amount. Will you match that or do I have to go there?"

Personally, I wish prices weren't negiotable as is the case with almost everything we buy. I have to wonder how this started in the first place with cars?

It would sure make my job easier!
  • tocatoca Posts: 147
    Where would you test drive the vehicles? Where would you pick up your car? Who would provide warranty service on your new purchase (this would be a nightmare)?

The dealer network is the best way to handle sales, marketing and most importantly warranty service.

If you think it through, I just can't imagine it working any other way in today's world and would take a tremendous amount of work to change it.
    You are correct and if you think prices would drop, think again!
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Posts: 184
    isellhondas wrote:
    >>>Maybe that dealer simply wants to make a certain amount on every unit he sells.<<<

I have about half a dozen Honda dealers within an easy drive.

The closest -- about two miles away -- posts a price for each vehicle (usually somewhat under msrp) and refuses to budge from it. Retail or Internet customer, young or old, guy or girl, you pay the same price. Their service shop is honest enough that they've steered me away from work they considered optional or deferable.

About 20 miles away is a volume dealer who will play ball on pricing, especially if you enter via the Internet. If you ask if you need an oil additive, they'll sell it to you, no matter what the owner's manual says.

The thing is, when I bought my CR-V five years ago, these two dealers were less than $500 apart in price. So I bought from the lower priced guy who negotiated and usually go for service to the closer dealer, unless I feel like a ride through the countryside. When my daughter bought her CR-V in 2008, the volume dealer's price was so low that the price fixe shop told her, "If you can buy a new EX-L for that price, go do it." So she did.

I've never seen much point in puzzling over why one price is higher than another. I try to be cordial, tell 'em what I want, and ask for the lowest price they'll accept on their first offer. And I talk to at least three dealers. I've found most dealers respond very well to this approach. I don't waste their time, they don't waste mine.
    It sounds like the dealer closest to you has decided how he wants to run his business. Some people will pay a bit more to support a store who is honest and who provides great service after the sale.

For some people it isn't just price that drives them to a store.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Posts: 184
    >>>Some people will pay a bit more ...<<<

That's likely true, and many people just plain hate bargaining largely because they equate it with arguing. But it's not arguing, it's just the process that precedes a substantial personal business decision.

The question is, How much is "a little bit?" My rule of thumb is less than the amount of one payment. For me, the $500 was in the two payment neighborhood.

Also, I haven't verified this, but I think the prices of the two dealers are much closer for high demand models. The volume dealer will likely have a better price on commodity models.

I think the CR-V is an excellent choice for the buyer who values functionality. If it had, say, 200 hp, I'd boost the excellent to well-nigh perfect.
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Posts: 94
    bratcute, I don't seem to be able to PM you now but would you give the dealership name in Northern NJ where you purchased your CRV (its not against the rules...) Thanks
  • dg19dg19 Posts: 2
    On a 2010 LX, Round Rock would go to 21100 + $100 doc fee + TTL. It's 6.25% here so the drive out was 22700. Nobody in the area will budge below this
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 168
    I gather you sell Hondas? If so, can you do me a big favor and let me know what I should pay for CRV EX-L with Navi? I don't want to haggle and would like to walk in with one price. I would like a reasonable profit for the local dealer so that everyone is somewhat happy. A ball park figure would do. Thanks very much.
  • Please help me check out this price. quote price $25699 including destination charge, free lifetime warranty, and up to $300 off. What do you guys think of this price? The dealer won't make it any lower. I am in Southern MA. Thank you very much.
  • xiaommxiaomm Posts: 3
    Is this for 2010 EX-L 4WD? then it is a great price! What does 'free lifetime warranty' mean?
  • tocatoca Posts: 147
    $300 off what? Is it a demo, meaning it has more miles than brand new? The price you mention is already below the published dealer cost assuming it's EX-L AWD. If you want a AWD CRV with leather at a good price, then I'd grab this one.
  • I dont know much about the tax refund thing...I bpught my car before the 1st of january....how would it go? are we really gonna get something back from what we bought? what are going to do when we file our ITRs?
  • I just did my 1040 and the tax refund save me $563 on a Honda Ridgeline I bought in Oct. I use the 1040A so all I had to do is make out a Schedule L work sheet and add the amount to my Standard deduction. It doesn't give you back all the sale tax just a %. But $563 bucks is nothing to complain about.
  • Hello, I've been shopping around for a 2010 CR-V EX. The best "out the door" price in our (Atlanta, GA) area is 24,995. The best offer I have is in fact 24,695 "out the door" from a dealership in South Carolina, which is about 120 miles from here. Please note that tax in the county where I live is 7%.

Please advise if the price earmarked by the Atlanta area dealer is good. Or do you think I should buy from the South Carolina dealer? Thank you all for your input.
    Well, that's a hard question for me to answer and if I were to throw out a number, people would immediatly jump in and tell you that is too much.

Just offer what you think is fair. If it makes sense, you'll own a new CRV. If not, they will walk you. It really doesn't have to be as difficult as a lot of people make it.

And pricing will vary by the supply situation. NAVI CRV's have been very hard for us to get but your neck of the woods may be different.

I'm not sure what you consider a "reasnoble" profit but since you feel this way, you really should have an easy time. Some people try to grind every last cent out of a deal and they still leave unhappy. They are scared to death that they may have paid a bit more than someone else did.

You sound like a person I would enjoy dealing with!

Tough way to go through life...
  • rbaderrbader Posts: 1
    brachute,
    I am looking to buy the same car. your email says private. please email me the dealer and salesperson you used. my email is rosebuhd1@optonline.net.
    thx
  • fasttexfasttex Posts: 24
    Here in Dallas, Navi CR-V's are also very difficult to get and I know our most dealerships are "Asking" very close to MSRP but if an offer is made that is not below invoice on a Tuesday or Wednesday either early or late in the day it would usually be accepted. It is supply and demand. A lot of dealers would pass on a "skinny" deal knowing that they could get a little more by just waiting. Start at invoice and go up from there looking for a dealership that does not add a lot of unwanted stuff.
  • I got an EXL AWD for 25915 + a protection package for 399 (which was worth about 200). I live in Minnesota but was going to Illinois and got it there. I did Email many dealers in Illinois and had many qoutes around 25950. So Add in the difference from MSRP with NAV and that should be your price. In minnesota no budge on the prices all around 27500 for EXL AWD. Taxes,tile registration extra.
    Thanks. I don't know what the invoice is and where to get it. I think $500 is a reasonable profit for the dealer. But I am not sure if there's any holdback or any other rebates that may or may not exist so I feel sort of in the dark.
    OK. So I guess I'll assume $28k as the target price for EXL Navi. Tax in my state is 7% so I think I'll be very happy with OTD price of $30k.
  • Somewhere from 27k to 27.5K. + all the other taxes fees title.
  • I got a price quote at Seattle WA area.

2010 Honda CR-V LX 4WD for $22,525.00 plus tax, license, $150.00 document and any dealer installed accessories. However, my price does include the $710 destination charge.

Is it good?
    That's 500.00 over invoice and it's a good price.

LX's have been slim around here but we have a few.
  • glitch1glitch1 Posts: 25
    that sounds at least $1K too high.
    Here in Portland, OR, I was getting $21.5K already including any doc/destination fees. And then add TTL of around $350 for Oregon making it less than $22K out the door. This was without negotiation.
  • finnerfinner Posts: 10
    Picked up the car yesterday in Fallston, Maryland. Had a great experience with the salesperson and dealership. Pays to do your homework!!!
    Listed below are the details:
    2010 Honda CRV EXL 4WD Black Outside, Black Interior
    Bottom Line $27788.00
    Price included Splash Guards,Alloy Wheel Locks,6% Sales Tax,$202 Tags
    In & Out of the dealer in 2 hours
    Honda Care; Check with other Honda dealers on price. :) :)
  • Weymout Honda Weymouth Ma.

2010 CRV-Ex 23,300.00

Trade 03 Jeep Liberty 8500.00 allowence

249.00 doc fee 399.00 remote strater.

No pressure seems like a good deal to me.

Frank
  • Am I the only one who goes to consumer reports online to buy the auto buying report for the make/model of the car your interested in? They give you the dealer hold-back amount as well as cost to ship, and even a break-down of all the add-ons and what the dealer pays and what is MSRP. Remember, MSRP is "suggested" retail price. The report has gone up - it's now $14.00 but if you tag on multiple ones they are reduced. :)

My father had originally said we wanted this car for $25K OTD, and he got a credit check etc. Then the guy who had agreed on the price goes back and says it's actually going to be $26,038. We said no, got up to leave and he said okay wait, let me ask again. Came back with $25,500, went down again to $25,250, my dad said $25,100 and it's a deal. The seller goes back once again and has a talk with their people. Comes back and says he can't do it. As we were walking out of the lot, the dealer comes back and said okay $25,100, and I said no since I was totally tired of them running around back and forth about it. We had already wasted 2 hours.

Did we make a mistake? (As you can see, we don't know what's a good price on it) Should I have accepted that price? Was it a good price or was it inflated?

Also, I took a picture of the stickerage on the vehicle and I'm wondering about the $895 Protection Package, do I really need to pay for that? Can I not have it? Do I need it? Also these are options that were added on already, is there any way to not have to pay full for unasked for options?

What is a good OTD price for a 2010 CR-V EX 2WD?
    I'm guessing Invoice for this was around $22,400...?