Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• marchcarmarchcar Posts: 5
    edited March 2013
    So I used Brian's formula and came up with 24027 without documentation fees, registration and taxes. If I take away the doc fees according to the dealership it brings me to 23678...Is this a realistic number to begin negotiations? I plan on purchasing on the 31st. I am located in the Boston area.

I did get a price for 24156 including destination and excluding doc fees (299), taxes 6.25% and registration. any thoughts or where I can go next?

Thanks!!
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,764
    edited March 2013
    Boston dealers

Weymouth honda...doc 249
    Herd Chambers............299......3 locations in m.A.

try to close your deal with these dealers on friday.
    Both these dealers were close to 1000 below invoice for my accord i bought on Feb, 28th

Both dealers hate each other .. pit one dealer against the other.
    make sure you tell Weymouth that herb is a few hundred cheaper. Lie if you have to and make your best deal.

Dont settle for getting just the hold -back............ these are high volume dealerships they well deal... Its end of quarter time..

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

edited March 2013
    Should I say I am looking for a certain OTD price or just try to go with 1000 under invoice plus all the other fees. I guess i am just not clear what # to start with.

GREAT ADVICE! I will definitely go between these 2!!
    edited March 2013
    outside of both dealers doc fee's your state tax and dmv fee's are the same. i would ask for all the otd numbers when making your bid.

1k below invoice at herb is 701 below invoice. doc's are $299
    1k at weymouth is ...... 761 below doc are $239 at weymouth not $ 249

Work the below invoice number 1st both dealers otd numbers are almost same..

You were right about W verse H--- I emailed W at told them a number a bit lower then H and they emailed right away and wanted to know if it included dest fee and doc fees!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,754
    Brian,

You should really go to work at a car dealership for a few months. Then you would REALLY know the business.

I know you mean well.....but......
    26114 is the best price so far...MA area.

Can I go lower?
    edited March 2013
    Just make sure if your emailing these 2 dealerships they know you will buy today for the price you are asking along with any other dealership you speak with. You need to know every dealers doc fee's first before you give them your number.

Your leverage will be in a couple of days. dont worry about email quotes and could i go lower. meet my price i buy now / making your best deal friday or Sat. and not before.

Post how you did for the forum this week........................

I'm glad to see your back.

• Hi,

The last time I bought a car I got had. I would like to know if this is a good price for a 2013 CRV EX!

Sell Price: $23,786

+ Taxes, Tags (transfer tag), Fees

Total O.T.D. : $26,214.14

I am in Florida!! Thanks!
    Rick Case honda... Put there high doc fee's on the sale price of car.
    i bought 2 honda's from them over the years.

• suvcrvsuvcrv Posts: 6
    Ok, Brian, I am trying to do exactly what you told me and am waiting it out an prepared to go to next month at the end if I have to.

Here is what I am looking at with one dealer that has been emailing me daily to try to work a deal:

AWD HONDA CRV EX-L with NAV AWD
    Car Price: $27,500 (inlcudes Destination fee)
    SCV Fee: $199
    TAG & Title Fee: $154.50
    Tax : 5.5% (How do I calculate the tax?)
    OTD: $29,366.00

I also asked about some added options but they are quoting me almost $4,000 on options that I can purchase online for $2,600 but I do not know what it would cost to have them installed. Should I purchase through dealer with warranty or purchase online and have installed. If so where do I go to get the installed?

I have two other dealers sending over quotes right now that said they are going to beat the price and a third that told me they will beat anyones final price. I am waiting on the emails.
    Ok, Brian, I am trying to do exactly what you told me and am waiting it out an prepared to go to next month at the end if I have to.

Here is what I am looking at with one dealer that has been emailing me daily to try to work a deal:

AWD HONDA CRV EX-L with NAV AWD
    Car Price: $27,500 (includes Destination fee)
    SUV Fee: $199
    TAG & Title Fee: $154.50
    Tax : 5.5% (How do I calculate the tax?)
    OTD: $29,366.00

I also asked about some added options but they are quoting me almost $4,000 on options that I can purchase online for $2,600 but I do not know what it would cost to have them installed. Should I purchase through dealer with warranty or purchase online and have installed. If so where do I go to get the installed?

I have two other dealers sending over quotes right now that said they are going to beat the price and a third that told me they will beat anyones final price. I am waiting on the emails.
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    The last time I bought a car I got had. I would like to know if this is a good price for a 2013 CRV EX!

Sell Price: $23,786

+ Taxes, Tags (transfer tag), Fees

Total O.T.D. : $26,214.14

Taxes and tags may be part of the price you pay, but don't tell us much about your deal because the state sets those.

What you left out that is important is what the doc fee is.

Assuming it's an EX 2WD, invoice is $24209, so you're getting most of the holdback. Could be a decent deal, could be a good one for the dealer. Don't know without knowing the doc fee.
  • mnc4494mnc4494 Posts: 13
    I just want to verify your numbers so far.

2013 CRV EXL-NAV AWD

MSRP 31,125 (Destination included)
    Invoice 29,264 (Destination included)

Your quote 27,500 (Destination included)

Are dealer doc fees included in any price?

Does your state charge the SUV Fee or is that a dealer fee?

Tax is calculated on the price of the car so it would be 5.5% of 27,500.

$4,000 sounds like a lot of options, way beyond mud guards and roof rails.

you are about 1,736 below invoice. Good going so far.
  • sam1461sam1461 Posts: 16
    H Brian,
    I am going to close in on the deal tomm like you expected. I emailed all the dealers for lowest price and got them bidding and all but one dealer offered me a deal for 25050 out of door including all whether floor mats and cargo tray (which comes to about 250 $)taxes are 6.5 % in MN.
    The invoice is 23414 , so I think it's roughly 600 below invoice, am happy with the deal but the Kona coffee color was not available so he said it might take him 2 weeks to get it and I agreed as I am in no rush.

Although I am happy with the deal my biggest consolation is that there is no dealer who even responded to match that price in a 100 mile radius so I am content that I did not leave any stone unturned and got as low as I could in the time frame.

Thanks for all your help.
    Sam
    Close out your deal on friday. If your not going to buy like my prior post suggested by emailing/ calling these dealerships and telling them this is my price i buy at . then take the lowest price the 3 dealers are giving you and buy. buy parts online and have a reputable shop install them..

edited March 2013
    Sam
    Good job.. get them involved in pricing make your deal friday or sat. Every time one dealers gives you a price tell them the other honda dealership is cheaper . If your still at 600 below on friday tell other dealers that 800 gets it done on that day . play the game til you feel you are satisfied with your price. Time is still on your side.... tell every dealer that the other dealers are giving you free bee's like oil changes, car washes etc.

Call the closest dealer to your house and make them match or beat your best deal. On Friday night if you have not struck a deal yet..

edited March 2013
    Sorry about that I didn't notice the incorrect word: SUV should have been SVC for service fee or in some places called a doc fee.

I am looking at alot of options but may not get them due to the price of the car and what the dealers are asking for install fees.

Some of the other dealers are telling me there is no way that any dealer is going to sell me this car at this price and that they are going to add to it when I go in to pick up. But there are others that are offering to beat it.
    If you make your calls on friday to as many dealerships with meet my price i buy . you will have your own answers on pricing and where the market is for your vehicle in your state.. Once you do your homework with your targeted dealerships you make your best deal. dont always believe some of the posted prices in these forums. people lie.

I have been helping and telling people for years in this edmunds forum

How you find out market price,
    and how to make your best deal with the least amount of wasted dealership time and B.S.

post your deals so you could help the other members.

good luck and happy hunting

Will do as you said. Thank you. I will let you know what happens by the weekend!
  • mnc4494mnc4494 Posts: 13
    OK, factoring in the SVC you are at about $1,500 below invoice, that is a pretty good price. Honda tends to be a little tighter than other manufacturers, but there are always exceptions. Yes, I heard the same thing from dealers that they could not believe a dealer was going to sell me a CRV at that price. Well a dealer did and if you find a dealer in a situation where they can make a bonus worth $50,000 by selling a car or two at a "loss" to an educated buyer than both the seller and buyer win.
    Is it the best price you can get, you will only know by having dealers compete against each other.
    Again , follow Brian's advice and decide on Friday or Saturday. It is the end of the month and the end of the quarter. Dealers that are close to meeting sales incentives will be more likely to give you a better price. The only way you can find out is to have multiple dealers competing to sell you a car.
    Just in case it is always a good idea to keep the next lowest offer open in case your low bidder is going to play games, you have a backup and can walk. Don't wait too long on Saturday at 9am you have options, at 4pm you may run out of time unless your dealers are open Sunday.
    you will do just fine .

edited March 2013
    Good advice.
    i never try to burn bridges with my lowest bidders. sometimes its as many as 5 to10 dealerships.

• shamilshamil Posts: 5
    I plan to buy Honda CR-V EX FWD and requested quotes from dealers. The one that I have got is $26, 633 (OTD price). Does OTD include sales tax? Is it a good offer for Dallas/FortWorth area?
  • dghtrfgddghtrfgd Posts: 30
    So far the lowest quote I'm getting is 27,236 on 2013 crv exl awd (otd before tax+dmv). I want to be OTD before nyc taxes and dmv at 27,000--but if no one meets my price by tomorrow or saturday-- Should I expect to start fielding HIGHER quotes in the beginning of April, and then wait again for the end of the month to try to get my price?
    why are you jumping the gun. let these 2 days play out. start your buying process tomm. If you do not reach your target price wait til next month.
    Honda may put out a cash incentive for april depending on there sales. will have to wait and see.

• dghtrfgddghtrfgd Posts: 30
    Seems like the decision might have been made for me, since my insurance office is closed for Easter until Monday April 1st.
    This being my first car purchase-- i'm not sure how the buying process works-- can you close on a deal and not pick up the car for a few days waiting for the insurance to come through?
    will the dealership still be as anxious to get my business if i wont pick up the car until AFTER the end of the month (beginning of april)?
    As long as you buy the car and do the paperwork by sat the 30th you can pick up the car later that week. .

• ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    At 27236 including doc fee, you're 624 under invoice... which means you've gotten all of his holdback, and he's just trying for the bonus money from Honda.

How many CR-V's does he have? Do you care what color you get? I think you'd have to wait until the dealer is pretty sure of the bonus from Honda before you can get any lower in April.

If I was in the market and ready to buy a CR-V right now, I'd pull the trigger at that price.