Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,937
    What model are you talking about /what state are you in/ what dealership. You left out all the important info in your post. What are dealers doc fee's.
    EX... fwd....or awd ..... 2 diff/ prices.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• 2013 CRV EX FWD, dealer in Anaheim, CA, $22,800(inc dest charges) + tax, lic, fees. Another dealer in Costa Mesa quoted $23,000 for the same package. I don't know doc fees I will ask.
    Your at 1,409 below dealers invoice price. Minus dealers doc fee's off that $ 1409 and thats how much below invoice you will pay. If you could wait til the end of the month you probably will get a few more dollars knocked off. Overall a very good price.
    Good luck

• ok, new update dealer in Corona, CA has the best quote yet: $22,443. The doc fee for all Honda dealers is supposed to be $80.00
  • karhill1karhill1 Posts: 110
    Having bought four Honda vehicles in Maryland in the past few years, I have experience with most of the Honda dealers. For a variety of reasons, easily found in the internet, College Park Honda is one dealer I avoid at all costs. In my experience, a better buying experience will be found at Criswell, Sport, Hersons or O'Donnell to name a few.
  • karhill1karhill1 Posts: 110
    Your calculation method is correct. Of course, you probably need to add a bit for dealer profit to the computation, a few hundred at most. I have essentially used this method for years and I have always found a dealer willing to meet my price. Not all dealers will, but there is always one or two who will.

One other consideration is to check Edmund's forums and other car pricing web sites like True Car to make sure their pricing is higher than the price you compute. If not, there is likely a hidden dealer incentive.

When shopping for a vehicle, contact as many dealers as you can via the internet. Ask for a price. You will quickly identify those dealers who understand the internet shopper as someone who is knowlegable. Best to avoid those dealers who refuse to provide a price or ask you to drop in for a discussion. It is far more likely such dealers will resort to the old selling games. While sparring with a sales person can be found, it is time consuming.

Recently bought a new Ford. Contacted about eight dealers. Five or six responded by telling me there were many incentives available which they would be happy to discuss. They did not provide a price. A couple did provide a price which was very attractive, not far from the price I computed using your method. Visited one of the dealers and reached an agreement within an hour.

Funny, several of the other dealers continue to contact me. With all this effort, perhaps had they provided a price in response to my request they may have had my business.
    edited May 2013
    Karhill, that was a well written post....

I agree with almost all your message on buying/ method.

The msrp and invoice price are made up by the car companies. You could throw away the msrp list price thats useless to us. The so called dealers invoice price most likely is not the real number the dealer is paying. At invoice price i believe there is still profit being made off that number. How much nobody knows. All we have are web sites like Edmunds , Consumer reports , kelly blue book etc. to go by. There have been many years i have purchased a new vehicle for family/ friends or myself that had NO Incentives / New model, beggining of the year for hundreds/ thousands of dollars below the dealers invoice price and hold-back . Thats how i know that invoice price is a made up number so dealers can make a few more dollars.. And they certainly do off alot of buyers..

By contacting many dealerships by email / phone is how you could determine the market price in many area's and different states.
    i have been telling people in these forums since Edmunds started up these forums in 1998...... how and when to buy.
    The internet has hurt the car industry. people can find out pricing in 1 hour from hundreds of dealerships spaning tru several states.

• srabidsrabid Posts: 1
    I just got the same quote from them. Does this include dest/handling?
  • mompimompi Posts: 2
    Location: South Florida - Need help with purchase. Got a few quotes today. Best quote so far $27,100 plus Tax, Title and Registration. Does not sound to good to me. Any suggestions?
  • mompimompi Posts: 2
    Yes it does, from Pompano. Quite high in my opinion. We need help from the CRV wizards!
  • mstronginmstrongin Posts: 4
    Decided on a CRV EX-L AWD with NAV. Went to several car buying sites to see what was the best deal. Registered with Costco and AAA and printed out 3 TrueCar certificates. The TrueCar prices were by far the best (27,847, 28,677 and 28,777), but the lowest one was over 50 miles away, while the highest was about 7 miles away. Once the Costco and AAA dealers called me, I asked them about the TrueCar prices and they told me they wouldn't match those prices (they were around $29,450). Went to the True Car dealer close by and they said they could get close to the lowest price only if I agreed to finance the car through them because I could then take advantage of a $500 discount. I had just sold an Audit A4 Avant that I owed outright and decided I didn't want the financing (probably dumb of me since I could have prepaid it after a short time). I offered to pretty much split the difference and got the CRV EX-L AWD with NAV for $28,250. That is about $1,500 below the Edmunds True Car Value and about $1,200 below the Costco and AAA prices. I'm sure that depending on the time of year and the vehicle/color/options you want, different car buying services win out at different times. Bottom line is that doing the research really makes a difference.
  • austin130austin130 Posts: 1
    I think I'm going to drive to the dealership and purchase the car. Here are the details:

White CR-V EX 2WD
    Selling Price 23,111.20
    Rebate From Honda 1,250Total Purchase 21,861.20
    Taxable Fees (Estimated) 55.00
    Battery Fee 1.50
    Doc Fee 599.00
    Tax 1,476.30

Net Price 23,993.00
    Trade Payoff
    Cash Deposit .00
    Balance 24,000.00

OTD Price transferring a title - 24,000. What do you think?
  • vj6vj6 Posts: 1
    please give me the name of the dealer and city. you got a great price!

thank you

VJ
  • mstronginmstrongin Posts: 4
    Did a lot of research and got prices from Edmunds, Cars Direct, TrueCar, AAA and Costco. Called many dealers and found lowest price of $27,887, but it was about 50 miles away. Went to local dealer who said they could only match that price if I took the financing, which I didn't want to do, so settled on $28,250 at South Coast Honda in Costa Mesa, CA. Other dealers where any where from $200 to $1,500 more. Pays to do the research.
  • rich96rich96 Posts: 37
    Can you tell me the details of the $1250 rebate? Does everyone get it, or is it a financing rebate?
  • charles_guycharles_guy Posts: 55
    maybe can help you out. posted in lease forum week ago. promised car_man i'd hang round for while to help. not much action over there i understand with lousy 00145/000135mf. better buy 0.9interest. i read over here and jus tryin to help

for may honda has loyalty/conquest 500. flexcash it seems max of 750 like april=1250. my area dealers ran out flex last month so did my deal early may

buying push for 500+750=1250 pretax and easy to get 500+500flex=1000. maybe better if you wait but then they say no more flex

1250 was no go for us but got 1000. thats cool cause know honda lease 0 turnin and 1500 damage credit

keep updating us. it helps other buyers and leasers
    agree with other links. dealer exwarranty can be canceled and you'll po the finance guy

cheaper on the web. recommend get 8/120k 0 decuct

when you cancel they probly take it off your last payment or two

good luck. let us know price you payed so you can help the forum here
  • jezasmomjezasmom Posts: 1
    We recently bought 2013 CR-V LX AWD with 11miles on it and total cost of the unit was $24,171.94. We only had 2 dealers 50miles from where we live. It was the best price I can get and $800 cheaper than the other dealer. Not sure if I even got a great deal. Would have loved to get the EX one but my husband does not want the leather seats.
    --- I took Honda extended care for 7 years/100000 miles and paid an additional 1650 ---

cancel. buy online. cheap sell price but big exwarr$$$ like big doc fee$$$
    leather only on ex-l not on ex. long drives very hot w/leather. your husband probly has hotbutt like mine on big drives

mass awd lx goes for 22100 right now and saw coupla ex 2wd in ca for 22500 so with 9.25% ca tax on 22100=24144+ = decent deal for awdlx but not great. oregon/washington? no tax = bad deal

whats state tax you got
    doc fee ca max 80 state mandate. been this way for years. then they hit you with state tax :(
  • ken117ken117 Posts: 196
    It is important to understand dealers make a profit off financing, dealer reserve. There are times when a dealer will sell a vehicle for less if they believe they will make a profit on financing.

Astute buyers can use this to their advantage. If the dealer offers financing at or below the rate you can obtain elsewhere, finance with the dealer with the lower selling price.

Even if you are paying cash. If you can save $500 on the sales price letting the dealer finance, better to finance with the dealer. You can always pay the loan within the next week and not have to pay much interest.
  • jim573jim573 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Looking to buy CR-V EX-L FWD in Houston area over the next couple of weeks. Would appreciate any comments on prices paid in the area and experiences with various dealers.

Thanks to all for any help...
  • ucbsupaflyucbsupafly Posts: 9
    LA Area
    CR-V LX 2WD
    Received an offer of $21343 through TrueCar.
    $23675 out the door with alarm thrown in at the last minute to seal the deal because the color available on the lot was not our top choice. No back and forth. Overall a fairly pleasant experience. Got 0.9% APR as well.
  • hellounohellouno Posts: 5
    CR-V EX AWD
    Got an offer of $23,715 (price including $830 destination)through USAA auto insurance from spreen honda in Loma Linda, CA (southern Cali)
    I was also able to get a San diego dealer here in San Diego to match it, they (The San Diego dealer) say they'll also through in 10% Off of any repair. Note the USAA price automatically includes the destination charge of $830. Also there are supposedly no other hidden cost (besides the normal tax and license). I bought a civic from Spreen 3 years ago and had a top notch experience but the salesman that I dealt with no longer works there. So I'm still debating on the dealer but I plan to make a choice in a day or 2. Side note I asked a mazda dealer to match this price on an 2014 mazda CX-5, AWD touring. He couldn't go a dollar below invoice. Don't think I would've gotten the cx-5 anyway due to its lack of cargo space but just a little FYI.
  • crv_buyercrv_buyer Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    Looking to lease a 2013 CRV EX-L. First went to a dealer that kept me 2 hours and paraded 5 different sales guys into/out of room ... classic run around.

Then went to TrueCar and got quote for $25,6xx which would be a $0 down, $300/mo lease. Going tomorrow. So, if:

Cap Cost is $25,6xx
    Residual at 61% MSRP ($17,308) -- adjusting down from 64% b/c I want 15k mi/yr.
    Money factor of .00145, as read in these forums.
    Lease is 35 months.

What should I pay out of pocket for Tax, Title & Registration -- looks like some people are getting those covered by the dealer. Is that using incentives like Flex Cash and Loyalty?

Thanks for the help!
    ---You can always pay the loan within the next week and not have to pay much interest.---

:)
    --- Then went to TrueCar and got quote for $25,6xx which would be a $0 down, $300/mo lease. Going tomorrow---

lease tough to do with spredsheet. you get that lease let us know where. probly socal or dc area huh

normal lease is 36 mos

friendly dealers may absorb oop with dmv n tax n stuff. go for sign n drive with 35 mos payments

weymouth shows 319 before tax sign n drivex35 2wd

if you get 300+tax times 35 seems like good deal 2wd. awd be 324+tax. whats tax 6 7 10 perr cent

flex seems to be maybe 750 probly 500. loyalty conquest 500 for may crv

good luck
    Hi Charles Guy!

Well you're right, they told me $0 down and $300/mo on the phone, but when I went in, the sales manager couldn't make that work for the price they quoted me ($25,6xx). He said the internet manager must have been quoting an EX model. To their credit, they held to the TrueCar price. But took some money out by devaluing my trade in at (-$731 negative equity). In the end, it was $329/month for 36 months, and I had to put down $2000 for T/T/L. Tax here is 9%. I'm in Norcal. They had no flex cash left, but I did "remind them" of the loyalty bonus. Also found they were not calculating the residual based on MSRP. All kinds of tricks they try to pull. What do you think about that deal?
    P.S. That monthly payment ($329) includes tax. Only things where I think I got screwed:
    -- He would only give me .59 residual (due to me wanting 15,000 miles instead of 12,000
    -- I think my car was worth $1200 or so to them, that's what another dealership was going to make. He said they had to pay for body work to rear bumper and to replace two tires. I'm thinking they get that stuff free, right?

Regardless, I learned a TON from this forum, the lease calculator here, the keasing spreadsheet I downloaded based on a recommendation here, and the Weymouth calculator.