Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stalsstals Posts: 2

I have just purchased a 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD, from my local dealership here in Los Angeles. OTD price was 28649.40. Had to agree for their financing option with no pre-payment penalties to get that deal. I paid $26380 + $80 + TTL -$500(Cash Back). The price includes free 2 year Value Care Program (VCP X - Synthetic Oil Changes). How did I do on my purchase?

Also, the dealer is asking me take a 84 month/100000 honda care with zero deductible for $2200. I have some time decide on this. Is this advisable?

• db14db14 Posts: 1

Hello stalls..I am in LA area too. Do you mind sharing the dealership and salesman name? Thx!

• I live in Michigan and am in the market for CR-V EX 4WD. I have contacted all of the dealerships in a 100 mile radius to get quotes and am waiting to here back. I went into a dealership here in town(Grand Rapids) yesterday and was talking to a Sales rep and he was very adamant about me paying the MSRP 27125 PLUS the dest fee.. I think that is totally ridiculous. For the car he was asking OTD 29500. Is it reasonable for me to try and get 27000 OTD at these dealerships or should I be shooting for lower. The invoice price of this model is 25,520, correct?

• gjmgjmpt1gjmgjmpt1 Posts: 5
    edited December 2013

@crutch07 said: I live in Michigan and am in the market for CR-V EX 4WD. I have contacted all of the dealerships in a 100 mile radius to get quotes and am waiting to here back. I went into a dealership here in town(Grand Rapids) yesterday and was talking to a Sales rep and he was very adamant about me paying the MSRP 27125 PLUS the dest fee.. I think that is totally ridiculous. For the car he was asking OTD 29500. Is it reasonable for me to try and get 27000 OTD at these dealerships or should I be shooting for lower. The invoice price of this model is 25,520, correct?

Is this for EX AWD ? 27000 OTD is more than reasonable. You should be able to get better than that. Is that the best quote that you got in 100 miles radius?

• I know someone was looking for EX 2wd. Just purchased at Gillman in Houston Tx.

23,000 and will finance AHFC. so flex cash included doc fee 189.--You shouldn't pay more unless comes off price.....

1300 or so under invoice sounds average but I traded a 2007 Pilot LX and was given 11,500 for trade... 3 other dealers were at 10k

I purchased my 2012 Accord from Gillman also. They won't add anything other than tint unless you request it and are easy to deal with. If your in or near Houston check them out......

• stalsstals Posts: 2

db14-

I messaged you the details. Hope this helps.

• @gjmgjmpt1 said: Is this for EX AWD ? 27000 OTD is more than reasonable. You should be able to get better than that. Is that the best quote that you got in 100 miles radius?

Yes, its a CRV EX AWD. Right now the best quote I have gotten is 26307.82 OTD. I think I am probably going to go with this deal.

• This is the quote I have from BayArea Dealer. This is for 2014 CR-V EX-L 2WD.... Let me know if this is good or is there room for negotiation as we near the end of the year?

• Selling Price - $25,488
    • OTD Price - $28,200
    • Financing is needed with Honda
  • Please help me I am trying to buy my first car. I am in NJ looking to buy a 2014 CR-V EX AWD. One NJ dealer has given me an OTD price over the phone(not in writing) of $26,700. Is this a good price? I tried to get a better deal from some other dealers but no one is committing. All are saying you come to us and we will give you a better deal. Some are asking for written quote to better it/match it. Any suggestions ??

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 3,179
    edited December 2013

ena

Break down your deal so we can help.

Selling price w dest/ charge included

Dealers doc fee charge.

any added accessories on vehicle.

OTD pricing does not help due to taxes, tags, and doc fee charges. These prices differ from state to state making everybody's OTD pricing different..

NY/NJ pricing is not as good as the other markets .NY doc fee charges are only 75 dollars not like NJ they range from 299 to 499 depending on the dealerships greed.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• ena0304ena0304 Posts: 3
    edited December 2013

Brian, thanks for your reply.

I dont have a written breakdown but this is what the sales rep told me. Something like this...

Sale price = 24400 including destination charges of 830

Doc Fee = 299

DMV charges = 301

Tax = 7%

plus a tire fee of 7.50 and some online reg fee of 12.50

Adding it all it the OTD comes roughly around 26700. No accessories and no incentives other than the 1.9% APR for 60 months through Honda finance. Is this good or do I need to negotiate further?

ena

Your at $ 1,119. below invoice. try to get get other dealers to match or beat this price before taking that offer. your model invoice with dest/charge is $25,519.

Direct calls to the dealerships internet managers is how you negotiate price on the phone.

So lets say Auto-sport Honda in NJ gave me that quote.... when i'm calling Hamilton or dch paramus i'm telling those guys 1500 below invoice i buy from you right now........ yes or no. Put each dealership on the spot for the sale that moment. At worst you take the 1st offer which is a good deal if nobody else will match or beat.

• Brian, thanks for the tip. This is very helpful with all the confusion in my head. I will give it a go tomorrow morning.

• @brian125 said: Remember the important thing with your deal is getting that vehicle for 800 to 1500 below invoice price.

Brian,

When you make the above statement, do you mean 800 to 1500 below invoice price after any fees the dealer tries to assess? So, this would include doc fees, for instance? But not TTL?

• @brian125 HI I'm in the market also for a CRV-EXL AWD. In the South Bay / CA. We are looking for a specific Color scheme and can not seem to find one on ANY lot - we have searched even 200 miles away.. So we have reached out to see what the Offer would be to "get us" what we want.

Since we are not taking a car off of their lot.. do we still have negotiation power

Currently our lowest offer is 27,805(this is Including Dest fee of 830) **+ **Tax/Lic & doc Fees.

• Brian, also looking forward to buying a 2014 Honda CRV LX AWD. Right now the best offer is around 24,000 + Tax in NY + State Fees = Approx $26,000. I got these numbers in the following from the local dealer, didn't want to make a decision before your expert opinion...

I'm sure we can do a little better on the price I gave you in the last quote. However, that price of $22,733 is less than all Honda dealers pay for a 2014 CR-V LX AWD. Please see the attached screen shot from Edmunds.com. It shows the invoice (price all dealers pay for the car), True Market Value (average price people are paying), and MSRP.

As you can see $22,733 is less than invoice. So I can not see any dealer honoring that price, unless that price in contingent on you buying other products for the CR-V or accessories. Or it does not include the $830 destination fee.

If you are willing to pay a little over invoice then we will be happy to help you with the purchase. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Thanks for your help again!!!

cooper123

800 to 1500 below invoice on the selling price of the vehicle............. doc's, tags, taxes then are added onto that number. If a dealer has the flex cash and you plan on financing vehicle thru honda minus a additional 500 off bill of sale at the end of your transaction..

donnelle

The most leverage and buying power is buying off the dealers lot. You may make up the difference in price this month due to dealers trying to make end of the year sales incentives. Alot of dealers will swap cars with each other.. Supply and demand will dictate pricing most months..

calculus

I will look into your numbers later with some NY advice on dealerships and pricing.

• calculus1918calculus1918 Posts: 3
    edited December 2013

Brian,

Thanks so much, been reading your post on this thread the last few days and have learned so much. My problem is that we live in a pretty rural area compared to NYC, 12901 zipcode for Plattsburgh, NY and we only have 2 dealerships locally (one in Burlington, Vt). Either way, will way for your advice before we proceed, we will probably buy in cash without any financing, being saving up for this. Thanks for taking the time to help all of us and happy holidays!!!

• Flex cash is some sort of American Honda Finance promotion, and is only available at certain dealers?

edited December 2013

Calculus,

Every area's market will have different pricing. I always tell the folks buying here on edmunds not to be fooled into thinking you could get xxx price like in Md , Va, or CA, area. The leverage and key factors to getting a good/ great deal all depends on how far your willing to travel. How many dealerships you get involved and how good you play the game or can negotiate.Buying at the end of the month will get you better pricing from dealerships trying to make there sales numbers for the month or quarter. Like a good card game you never tip your hand til the end of the month. Always make each dealer feel if he cant close you that moment or give you his very best price he/she may have lost that sale once you hang up with them.

Up in Plattsburgh you have 2 local dealerships with dellla honda being one. Not the greatest dealership as far as pricing. Here is my suggestion. Call and email as many honda dealerships that your willing to travel to within a 100/ 200 mile radius. there might be 10 or 12 maybe more. If you decide to stay with only your 2 local dealers make your best deal last 2 days last day of this month Expecting pricing within a few hundred of each other. There probably both in cohoots with each other anyway... LOL.

Call/ Email each dealerships internet manager.... tell each one that for 1000 below invoice price on your model and choice crv you will buy it that moment leaving a credit card deposit til you could get down to pick up vehicle.

After you called all your dealerships leave a number and tell them you will be buying at the end of dec unless someone meets your price to buy today of 1000 below invoice price... make each dealership comit to your price with yes or no.. All dealerships that say no make them give you a counter offer. If a dealership cant do it.. thank them and move on to the next dealership. I like to talk directly to each manager i know within 3 mins if he is lying to me or if he/she wants to sell a vehicle that moment.. Managers that are clueless or wont deal over the phone just thank them and move on.. Another key is not stepping into that showroom floor unless your there to pick up your vehicle.My way cuts out the middle man and that whole let me talk to my manager 5 times while you sit there hours on end..

If your not a good negotiator put what i'm saying to you in a email directly to the dealerships internet mgr. If you go this route call /google each dealerhip and ask for the name, number and email address of the int/ mgr. Its always best to work out pricing online or by phone then going to the dealership to close the deal.. Or you could have dealership fax you over the bill of sale then leave dealership a deposit by credit card. this is how i buy most of my vehicles by fax.

here is the correct number on your lx awd model

Invoice.....................22,723

dest charge...................830

23,553 is the Invoice price with out......... tax, tags , and doc fee's added onto bill.

23,553 minus 1000 below invoice price = 22,553 this is your target price to buy.

After you call your dealerships and xxx price is the best you could do on the last days of this month... make your best deal closest to your home. Your area's market is not selling like other states. A target price of 500 below invoice to 1000 below should be obtainable. If you cant get 1000 below you may get a few dealers willing to sell at 800 below. etc. but atleast you know by getting more dealerships involved you will have the best chance to get to or close to your target price.

merry x- mas .. good luck you will do good

• IS $30000 OTD a good price for a Honda CR-V EX-L AWD W/ NAVI?

edited December 2013

Buyer80

every state has a different tax rate, dmv fee, and doc fee charge. without listing these charges plus the actual selling price of the vehicle nobody will be able to help you. below is what you need to post for help

selling price ?

was dest/ charge included in price?

how much is dealerships doc fee charge?

what state are you buying in?

The total OTD price will only help people buying in your state. Otherwise OTD pricing is a useless number to all of us for reasons listed above..

• I live in Southern California and looking to buy a 2014 CRV-LX model and see that several of you from Southern California got some great deals. Please send me the name of the dealer. I am thinking of buying on December 31.

• @brian125 1st off happy holidays! and thank you so much for answering during this time! I will wait to get closer to what you and someone else also is suggesting - based on the Invoice price of 28,574 hopefully they can come down some more. I was wondering also the same as someone else "Flex Cash" - is this for specific dealers? and at what point do you question about it.

you ask every daelership you call or visit if they have flex cash to give. The dealerships that have flex cash are the dealers you try to make your best deal with 1st.

• I am from Southern CA-Los Angeles area. I got an offer of 23584 for 2014 Honda CRV EX 2WD. The dealer is quoting OTD as 25,642. Is this a good deal? What is the best price for 2014 EX 2WD that I can expect? Please let me know.

• Brian,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will start to explore over the next few weeks. Hopefully a decent deal will be found despite the lack of dealerships in our area. Can't thank you enough to take the time for the write up, happy holidays!!!

• Hi, I am in the philly area and got a price on crv-EXL includes dest of 26883. does not include doc tax dmv.. Does this seem good. MRP is 29875