Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Thanks Brian. Why do doc fees vary so much?
    Also, do you have any info on Bay Ridge Honda Hillside Honda and Plaza Honda?
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,408
    edited December 2013
    Doc fee's vary from state to state. all dealer profit its a bs charge.

I'm in S.I. Very familiar with all local dealerships

Plaza ............... Bad dealership play to many games and lie
    Hillside .............. Wont deal on the phone want you in the showroom.
    Paragon..............Play alot of games lie often
    S.I ............Will Match local dealerships but never set best prices..
    Bayridge.......... They are hit or miss from month to month.
    if you not to far from Bayridge make them match or beat Weymouth honda lease price quote.

Remember get the lowest price possible on the vehicle then have dealership work in the correct lease numbers.... residual, cap cost, money factor, etc.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• Awesome. Thanks for the info.
    Yea, i'm not far from Bay Ridge.
    So then I should be looking at $27,500-$28,500 as a good price on the vehicle?
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    I am flying to Atlanta this weekend to assist my adult daughter in buying a loaded or nearly loaded CR-V with AWD. The vehicle doesn't have to have NAV, but it would be preferred. Must be AWD. A few questions:

1. What exactly do you get for the about $1500 NAV package? What's missing without it?
    2. What incentives are available on the 2014 CR-V? For a new college grad?
    3. It appears that the higher priced CR-Vs are showing $1500-$1700 below sticker as the Edmunds True Selling Price. What else might I be missing?
    4. Any other tips would be appreciated. We have a 2010 CRV-EX-L so are familiar with the vehicle although, yes, we know it was updated in 2012.
  • thedealmanthedealman Posts: 10
    edited December 2013
    Hey Brian, your help is much appreciated!

You mentioned in the first two paragraphs that the target is 800-1500 below invoice. So I need to be adding back in the doc fee and destination charge into the selling price of the card to find how good the actual offer is. That would make my best selling price so far 24,994. Is that right?

In the next paragraph you mentioned calling back each dealer's internet manager. Is emailing them also ok? Or I need to call the dealer and specifically ask for the internet manager?

When I do make my proposition to the internet manager it should sound something like: "I am willing to pay $24,000 for the car right this moment, but that must include your doc fee and destination charge". And if they say no I'll just respond "well please keep my offer in mind"... Like that?

You also mentioned end-of-month incentives. Every single dealer I have contacted deny they get end-of-month incentives to sell more cars. They claim Honda does not do these kinds of incentives. In fact, the usual line is that "flex cash will run out by the middle of the month so you need to buy now or the price is going UP!" believe it or not.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,395
    Just curious, why is it you "need" AWD in Atlanta? Have you considered buying out of state & driving the CRV to your daughter? GA dealer doc fees are notoriously high. You will pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 - $700 extra just for th privelidge of buying in GA.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Save your money the Nav is not worth the extra money. For 200 bucks you could get a Garmin Nuvi that will be way better than the CRV Nav system.

AWD is not needed in Atlanta. Your front wheel drive CRV will get thru most snow storms and save you a couple of mpg. I have had front wheel drive SUV's here in New York and in all my years maybe 1 or 2 storms were bad but never got stuck.

edited December 2013
    dealman

Take your models invoice price and minus it from your buying price make sure dest//charge is not included in that offer. Thats how much below invoice your getting CRV for ...
    Now add the 830 dest/charge to it. We all have to pay dest/charge which is added onto the final bill after the agreed sale price of the vehicle along with the dealers doc fee charge. This is how you breakdown your deal. Now your taxes and dmv fee's will be calculated into that price.

Emails are fine to dealerships but at some point you need to speak directly to the internet manager to close the deal on price. Once you have done that then go to dealership to sign paperwork. Dont believe things dealers tell you about how they are not making money. Your main concern is hitting your target price or getting close to it for the sale that moment. Thats where your leverage lies. Telling each dealership meet my price i buy today. That puts each dealership on the spot for the sale that moment. or making that dealer give you his bottom line price..

Flex cash does come on a first come basis. dealers have been handed this incentive out for 4 months. Line up all your flex dealerships first and make your best deal. If a dealerships says he has no flex move onto the next dealership or make him match the other dealerships price w/ flex

edited December 2013
    I find it easy when i'm negotiating to say something like this to the Internet managers. Make sure dealers have flex cash before negotiating the deal.

Hi jim,

I'm looking to buy this make model for xxx price today plus flex cash for financing thru honda. If your dealership is willing to meet my price i will give you a credit card deposit and will pick up the vehicle as soon as you have it ready.

If Dealerships do not have a Vin number or vehicle on there lot make sure you tell the manager you will leave a RE-fund able credit card deposit until they produce a Vin number and vehicle for your agreed price. CYA

No need to step foot in any dealership and deal with all that nonsense.... let your emails and calls do the work and close the deal in the comfort of your own home.

Good luck..............Brian

AWD is a must as this car will probably be coming to the snowbelt, permanently, in about a year. And I still would like to know from someone who knows for sure: Is the $1200 NAV just a NAV or is it part of a package with other stuff?
    edited December 2013
    Just for the Nav

• So in this dealer quote, how much "below invoice" am I paying?

2014 CRV EX AWD Invoice price: $25,520 (truecar.com)

23,500 car price
    830 destination
    1,703.10 State tax
    299 Doc fee
    296 MV fee (Plates and 4 year Reg)
    7.50 tire tax
    8.50 MV processing fee

= $26,644.10 OTD price.

I did not include the flex cash for simplicity sake, but I would just subtract $500 from the OTD price, correct?

Thank you so much again Brian.
    edited December 2013
    Here is your breakdown in price.

2014 ex awd invoice = $ 24,689
    Dest/ charge.....................830
    total..........................$ 25,519

Your previous post was correct . Dealer is selling you vehicle for $1189 below invoice price. Dealer is taken back 300 for doc fee's so your total is 889 below invoice price. Your 500 flex will come off after taxes and final bill is totaled.

Given you a $1389 dollar below invoice price on a 2014 vehicle. Its possible to get a few more dollars off your deal but overall if you make this deal tomm..... you have done well..

Post your deal with state and dealers name so others can get similar pricing after you wrap up your deal.

• "Remember get the lowest price possible on the vehicle then have dealership work in the correct lease numbers...."

So do you tell the dealers that you don't know if you're looking to buy or lease, and you don't know if you're trading in or not in the beginning?
  • Thanks Brian I'm understanding this now! You are awesome.

I see you put flex back into the total giving me $1389 below invoice... The previous buyer said he got $1500 below invoice PLUS the $500 incentive. That's how he got it for 25,000 OTD. That is way far from my current $26600+ you say is a good deal.

Regarding the phone call with the internet manager. If/when he agrees to my price. I just give him my credit card over the phone and trust that he will honor the price? Shouldn't I ask to see it in writing by fax or email first? How can I be sure he will refund the deposit if the deal is not the same when I get to the dealership?
    You could tell dealer if your buying or leasing. When you trade in a vehicle makes the deal alot harder. No matter what price dealer gives you on the new vehicle you still need to go show them your car. I never mention it til i go to dealership. telling each of the 3 best price dealers i decided to trade in my car.

Prepare to lose money on your trade especially if your getting a great deal on the new car. Most dealer use Galves or nada pricing. If you could get pricing close to kelly blue book you have done well. Its always best to sell your car privately.

What are the current, if any, incentives on CRV in the Atlanta area? What exactly is "flex cash" and how do I know if it's available? And my daughter is a May 2012 college grad...is there some additional "college grad" deal? And if she finances thru Honda, is there some deal that gives extra cash for financing? We prefer to pay cash but if we can finance and pay it off within a few months (but still keep the cash) we'll play that game. Also am I correct that all CR-Vs come with Bluetooth and backup camera?
    If you pursue no more money off your current deal with the addition of flex cash you have a good deal on the table. You are in that 500 to 1500 below invoice range plus incentives/ rebates. Not every area sells the same. some states you will see better pricing. By contacting 10/ 20 dealerships in your area is how you determine your area's market price.

Your email/ phone calls to dealerships. If dealer agree's on price and goes over all charges and you believe him/her you could go down to dealership to meet them. If dealership is not close i make them send me a faxed bill of sale were we both sign it. then i leave a credit card deposit. If dealership cant produce a vin number for my model having that bill of sale sign by him is very important.
    Credit card deposit with vin number of my model

RE- fundable credit card deposit with no Vin number written on deposit with dealership signing it.

edited December 2013
    Your daughter is entitled to honda's college grad money either 400 or 500.

In addition to that if she qualify's for financing thru the Honda corp. she will also get another 500 dollar rebate called flex cash.

Some dealerships have it to give some dont, You need to ask each dealership and make your best deal with a flex cash dealership Or you lose out on 500 off your bill of sale if your financing vehicle.

• bj77bj77 Posts: 12
    edited December 2013
    If anyone manages to get a 14 CRV EX AWD for 25k OTD (everything included) or less in DC area, please post your invoice details.

Thanks for your help!