Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    The Capital One check can only be written to a car dealer. Write it for a new car and get the new car rate, write it for a used car and get the used car rate. At least this was how it was last time I used one. You can't use it to pay off the loan you signed, but you might go back to the dealer and get them to take it today. If not, but can try for a re-finance loan from Capital One and see what the rate is. If it is less than what you are paying, then you could pay off the loan as soon as the account is set up with a re-finance check from them.

You did good in checking in here before buying the USED CR-V you were looking at, I just wished you had stepped out of the finance office for a break once things started to go wrong. If you had walked away and thought about things and even come online and asked, you would have been a lot better off. They count on that, and the longer you stay the less likely you are to leave. Just remember you are in control, they tell you something you don't like or don't understand or don't believe call them on it - or just take a break and walk away.

Dennis
  • bongo2363bongo2363 Posts: 7
    How likely am I to find an 2005 SE (specifically Pewter Pearl) in September or October. Is this a popular color and will 05's still be somewhat stocked at this time of year? Also, will the price possibly go down in the Fall due to new models being introduced. I
    am a first time new car buyer and am trying to get a good deal on the SE. Can anyone post prices they've recently paid for the SE.

Thanks,

Trish
  • dekoraidekorai Posts: 56
    Congrats on your first car purchase. I bought my first car purchase (a 2005 CR-V 4wd LX) a week back. I got a good deal on the price ($1080 below invoice, i.e. $18,685 before dest) but I made the mistake of telling the F&I manager what CapitalOne financed me at - 10.8%. I have 3 years credit history in the US so my credit score of 670 was kinda average I think. Perhaps I should have just let them check my credit and make me an offer but a slip of my tongue cost me some money. But as I see it, they offered me 3% lower that CapitalOne's 10.8% so I figure I had nothing to lose.
    They took $7500 on my credit card and I financed the balance $13,450 (OTD was $20,950) for 36 months. I plan to double my monthly payments to $850 and pay it off in 18 months. Will prepaying adversely affect my credit score? What are the chances of refinancing below 7.8% after paying on time for 6 months?

Anyway, lets enjoy the thrill of a first-time car purchase and learn from the experience of dealing in a dealership.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Where did you find that AHFC offers GAP insurance for free? I couldn't find anything in my signed documents. It would be great to have it, even though Hondas do not depreciate as much.
    Thanks

When did you buy yours? I had a little leaflet that I had to sign acknowledging that I am aware that AHFC includes GAP protection when Financed though AHFC. I just bought one at the end of March, taking them on the 2.9% APR offer.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,621
    The longer you wait the slimmer your choices will be. The pewter SE's are probably the most popular of the CRV's. If you wait intil September, there's a good chance you won't find one for ANY price.

Deals won't be any better than either. That's more of a perception.
  • mafernamaferna Posts: 83
    Thanks, I bought mine on 3/31/05, also to take advantage of the 2.9%, but I did not get any leaflet about the GAP insurance. I even asked the F&I guy if they offered it for a fee, and he said they did not. Is there a name of some sort in the document to identify it?

Oh well, that's not that important; what is, is that my V is in the shop, waiting for a 'solenoid' (whatever that is).
    Thanks,
    With a high rate in hand, you MIGHT have been better just to see what they would do.

Nope, pre-paying will not hurt your credit score at all - will not help either except you will have less debt showing and of course once you have it paid off then it is a big help.

Generally re-finance rates are higher than new car rates, but it would not hurt to check later to see if you could get a better rate. Of course, check anyone other than Capital One again and it will show on your credit report....

Dennis
  • debtabordebtabor Posts: 2
    I'm working the dealers now and the best price I have offered is $19,172. I'm seeing how much lower I can ge them to go, and using interest rate as a bargaining tool as well (I'd like to get it below 3.9% and with a high-700/low-800 score I should be able to). How does this sound?

I'm not adding any extras, no stainguard, no undercoat, nothing else, so this should be close to the final price, right? I can maybe add another $200 for state fees, I think...

You guys have been amazingly helpful, reading this forum for the last month while I decided to take the plunge (I'm currently driving a 1995 Kia Sephia with nearly 145K miles, so as you can see I stick with a car!).
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,621
    Well, that's dead invoice on that CRV. What more do you want?

2WD CRV's aren't very popular in the northwest so that'll help you if the dealer is sitting on a few of them.

Good Luck!
    how about $450 below invoice (that's what I got)? Or how about $1,000 below invoice like other poster?
    Thanks, I bought mine on 3/31/05, also to take advantage of the 2.9%, but I did not get any leaflet about the GAP insurance. I even asked the F&I guy if they offered it for a fee, and he said they did not. Is there a name of some sort in the document to identify it?

Oh well, that's not that important; what is, is that my V is in the shop, waiting for a 'solenoid' (whatever that is).
    Thanks,

Hey we bought our cars on the same day. That is funny. I will look through the papers to see what the document number is. If you financed through AHFC you should have it.
    Isellhondas do you have any input? Is it strictly regional offer? Is is for people who don't put any money down?
    What is 'dead invoice'? Does that include holdback, dealer to cash and perhaps other volume incentive (sell x units by month end, get $$)? Apparently, BMW currently has a $5000 factory to dealer incentive for moving Z3 and Z4. Does that mean dead invoice is printed invoice less holdback less $5000?
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    .. **Edit:
    Just read your previous post. You have FICO 745 and got taken on the 8% loan! Yes, your income is low, but I don't know what your bills are, still at 745 FICO you would have qualified for Honda finance no problem, and if you are a recent grad, you would have definately qualified.** ..

Fico scores don't guarantee anything, even a 745 ....

There's lots of folks that are working at Burdines with a Sears card and have a high Fico ... it's the credit history and the income that makes the difference .. also gap insurance is included on the leases, not the finance contracts ....

"They give dealer a $600 to $1000 check for each victim"

Capital.? ... really now .l.o.l...

Terry.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,876
    There is holdback naturally, but no dealer cash or volume incentives on the CR-V..

BMW? Well.. for one, they haven't made the Z3 since 2002, so I doubt any of those incentives are still current...

The Z4 incentive varies according to model between $2500-$4500, but I'm not sure what that has to do with Hondas?

But, there is the double secret probation cash on the CR-V.. Don't forget about that...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kfranci2kfranci2 Posts: 31
    I know there was already a thread on this, but i have found 2 dealers who have the 5spd CRV EX i am looking for. I calculated a price of $19,440 by taking 3% of MSRP off of invoice. With new 2005s invoicing at $21,000, what price would you guys expect for a leftover '04? I am thinking i can pit the dealers against each other and try and drive them low, but don't know how low to expect. Did the dealers recieve any cash pmt when the 05s arrived for the leftover 04s they had?
  • debtabordebtabor Posts: 2
    how about $450 below invoice (that's what I got)? Or how about $1,000 below invoice like other poster?

I'm down to $100 under invoice now, but I'd sure like to get better. I thought that under invoice was doable as you show at $450! If you're in the northwest, where did you go?
    I would pass. It will be hard enough to sell a stick shift CR-V but the 05 has too many new features to separate it from the prior trucks that "surely" an 05 (even with a stick) will return more money. Since you can get an 05 for invoice or even less, you are not going to save much by getting an 04 and will miss out on a lot - and have a lot less value when you go to sell or trade.

From a message I posted last week:

The 2005 is a MUCH more desirable truck as well, and should be worth a good bit more down the road used. From the Edmund's description of the 2005:

What's New for 2005
    All models get redesigned headlamps and front fascias along with antilock brakes, stability control, side airbags for front passengers, head curtain airbags for front and rear occupants, strengthened B-pillars (for better side-impact crash protection) and minor interior styling refinements. A five-speed automatic transmission replaces last year's four-speed unit.

5 speed tranny VS 4 speed = huge difference is smoothness, extra air bags and stability control for safety, better side impact. Pretty much a no-brainer decision unless you could get the 04 for THOUSANDS less. Then I would only go for it if you just can't afford the 05.

I would find an 05 with stick, the dealer will be "inspired" to move it off the lot below invoice and you get a better truck.

Dennis
  • kfranci2kfranci2 Posts: 31
    The updates for '05 don't affect the EX model as much since it already came with ABS and side airbags ... correct me if i am wrong here. Head curtain airbags would be nice, the styling "improvements" are take it or leave it for me, and most importantly, no one in the twin cities even has an '05 EX 5-speed for us to look at. We're going to compare the 04 to 05 when we look, so i will know exactly the difference. I'm wondering, wouldn't the dealer have to offer significantly less than invoice on this truck since he has to get rid of it? I am thinking of offering him around $18K-$19K, which would be at least $2K less than an '05 and make up for the extra year of depreciation i'll take a hit for.
    Sorry for the typo re. Z3 - I meant Z4. I used the BMW as an example of any factory to dealer incentive.

What is this double secret probation for the CR-V?
    Unless the dealer got a "buy down" on the left over 04 then he could sell it for invoice - hold back (3% of MSRP). Since you should be able to get an 05 for under invoice a bit anyway, this would not mean a lot of savings to get an 04. I guess they could be willing to lose money on the 04, but if that were the case then they might have already sold it.

Dennis
  • bongo2363bongo2363 Posts: 7
    I kinda thought my choices would be slimmer if I waited. Will the 06's have an SE model. What I'm really looking for are leather seats, and this the only model with it available. How much more will 06's be (SE model) when they first come out and when do they begin selling them?

Thanks
  • tempallptempallp Posts: 1
    I got mine for 18900+dmv fees and no extras(fwd lx silver moss) from thomason honda.i got an internet quote from the manager there her name is cindy lee.it is very tough to get an lx fwd in oregon as they have very few on ground.with my fico score of 710 i was able to get only 6.5% apr through american honda.better than capital one.
    .. also gap insurance is included on the leases, not the finance contracts ....

"They give dealer a $600 to $1000 check for each victim"

Capital.? ... really now .l.o.l...

I will go through the papers tonight, to make sure I understood it right about the GAP insurance.

With the bank kickbacks, I meant the bank that financed the guy at 8% as opposed to have the guy just pay with his Capital one check. Capital would not give dealer any kickbacks, but the bank that the dealer arranged financing through at higher interest surely gives something back to the dealer.

I still think the guy bought a vehicle that is out of his price range. I know no dealer would ever say "No, you can not afford it," even the guys on welfare get Lexus's and Mercedes'. The kid barely makes $25K and got a $20K vehicle. WAY OUT OF HIS LEAGUE. This is allot, unless he lived at home with his parents and had no other debt, but mentioned that his fiancée helps him out or what not, meaning he does not live at home. I wouldn't be surprised that the car was financed on a 72 month note, and soon will become a thread in
    "I am upside down and can't get up" board
  • dromedariusdromedarius Posts: 307
    I'd agree that waiting with Hondas in general isn't beneficial to the buyer. Honda just had it's biggest month in history in April while GM is trying to give cars away, so Honda doesn't have any reason to offer incentives on a solid seller like the CR-V.

I'd also add that colors are a regional thing. We picked up our gold SE this past Monday and we had to wait for it. Our choices were to wait two weeks or a month, so we chose to wait a month. They got an additional gold one when our's came in, and it was purchased before it ever hit the lot. They had a pewter one for a couple weeks, and before that they had another, but in general they haven't had many of them, they sell when they have them, and the gold ones seem to be especially hot items, at least around here.

On the other hand, they have many EXs on the lot, which seem to flow in pretty regularily, and they only keep one or two LXs on the lot at any given time. People around here seem to have no use for the LXs, and you can't find a manual one. Again, that's just in my part of the country.

PS - To the person wanting to buy an 04, I agree w/Dennis. You're not going to save much going the 04, and the added features are well worth it, IMO. The five speed automatic alone is worth it to me, as are the now standard features such as VSA and the side and curtain airbags.
  • neonostraneonostra Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Just joined few mins back. Already got lot of information on buying cars.
    Guys, I am thinking of buying HONDA CRV AWD LX 2005 at the end of June or Ist week of July. I want to know from the members, do the dealers offer any kind of deals on the occassion of Independence Day, July 4 . I am living in North West Suburbs(Arlington Hts,IL 60004) of Illinois.
    Can you advise me who are the best local dealers.

Thanks, I appreciate ur help

Neo
    .. also gap insurance is included on the leases, not the finance contracts ...

Looks like FREE GAP INSURANCE to me, and I financed at 2.9%, not leased. The sales guy told me that Honda is including it with finance contracts, when I quesitoned this before signing this piece of paper.
    I signed something similar when I bought my CRV last week and financed through American Honda. Its free GAP insurance, but the 'cost' of this insurance is included in the finance rate (the salesman told me so). Nothing in life is free!
    I am in the Phoenix area, don't know about the NW, good luck!
    Hmm, I wonder why I did not get this form.

Any ideas where I can get it? Even if I don't have it, I assume I am also covered. Maybe if I contact AHFC directly?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,876
    Wow... that is great.. I wonder if it is now standard on all AHFC loans?

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs