Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, since there is only about a 1500.00 difference between our invoice and MSRP on an LX 2WD CRV, one would have to wonder why a dealer would offer you 2000.00 less than MSRP??

And there is no such thing as dealers getting cars from a "distribution point"
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Well, I'm not a salesman, and I think that it is all market based. If there is a shortage of a certain model, then MSRP is what it will take to buy it. Some people will want the latest regardless of price; it is worth it to them. Others will walk away. Either choice is based on the personal opinion of the buyer (or non-buyer ;) ). Either choice is completely valid, in my opinion.

That is not the same thing as recommending to everyone that they pay MSRP. People should negotiate the best deal they can. But keep the scarcity (or lack therof) in mind. I think this is what isells is trying to say, and I agree.
  • banjolaya1banjolaya1 Member Posts: 88
    Okay, let's talk about the shortage. Do you think the shortage is man-made or they really can't whip them out as fast as they are selling? Remember how they were trying to keep the 2007 CR-V under wraps so nobody would see it until release date? Why?
    Remember how long it took Honda to release the invoice price? More than a month! Maybe even two.
    So, maybe somebody (Honda) is playing games? Maybe this shortage IS actually man-made so they can create this artificial hype and have people pay MSRP? Just remember, 2008 CR-V is only 6-7 months away. If you pay MSRP now your vehicle will be worth very little compared to MSRP (no matter how good of a vehicle this CR-V 2007 is). Just another rule of market.
    So, in the end, I congratulate these few people that purchased new CR-V's and saved some $$$. I always smile when people save money.
    Happy savings and drive safely!
  • nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    I doubt if this is really a deliberate shortage. The risk to Honda is that every person who can't find a ready CRV might end up buying a Toyota or some other brand (like you did!).
  • feefoefeefoe Member Posts: 36
    I'll take your word for it that there is no such thing as a dealer getting vehicles from a, "distribution point." Unfortuately, that means that the sales manager who told me same is either using the wrong terminology, or that he was lying to me.
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    ...or that he was lying to me.
    Ya think? :)
    No way! :P
    Don't worry about me, I don't "buy" anything when I buy something, especially when it comes to cars. The whole "we can get you anything that you want in two hours" game is one that they're going to lose every time unless the car shows up by the end of the day (What can I say, I'm a magnanimous kind of guy...). I don't put down deposits, I don't finance, and I don't do trades, so my money stays with me until the car is sitting right in front of me.

If I'm handing over a nickle, I'm leaving with my gumball.
  • bms5533bms5533 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 honda crv ex with 28k miles for 19,800 + 389 doc fees. I bought the extended war 8 yrs 75 k for 900. ( i can refund it with in 30 days)
    deal or not a deal???

what do you think....
    thanks
    I just read that Honda is using the superbowl tv advertising slots to advertise the CRV. Here is the reference "..thirty-second spot, called Elvis, will showcase Honda's CR-V sports utility vehicle to the tune of Elvis Presley's "Burning Love."
    Well, I guess the supply situation might remain tight for some more time due to new demand.
    My point exactly.

We have very few CRV's. The EXL's are really scarce.

With this in mind, why would any dealer cheap sell them?
    Oh, I hope you're wrong on this one but it wouldn't surprise me!

Why advertise something you don't have??
    This is the first I've heard of this.
    Nice...advertise cars we don't have to sell.
  • asmdasmd Member Posts: 6
    hi, am from houston.
    and me and the mrs decided to go in for a 2007 cr-v and lo and behold.. nobody seems to have enough to give us the light of day. how sad. i already own 3 other hondas in my household. 2 accords and an oddessy. and i was of course expecting a return experience as with my previous vehicles with the bargaining and expected dicounts.
    apparently, nobody here has them in stock and of course its a deposit, msrp or nothing at all. i really dont understand how the cr-v could be in short supply. really odd. it may be a good car.. no car is that good. i would have to assume that the recall may have something to do with it before releasing cars that have been rectified.
    nonetheless.. am waiting till dealers have them on their lots again before i go back.
    any idea as to when this could be.. anybody hear anything.
    if honda has ads up.. and no cars to sell. then theres something definately not right somewhere. probably a quite way of fixing the situation without having to raise too many eyebrows. honda prides itself in quality. it would be easier to fix it than expleain it.

regards,
    asmd.
    Honda always seems to be cautious when introducing a new model. When a new model is an instant hit like the CRV has been, they get blindsided and then they scramble to get production caught up by building new factories etc.

The Ridgeline is a good example of the opposite. Sales on these started out VERY slow. This is no longer the case but for awhile, we were looking at a lot of unsold trucks.
    well, i do hope they do sort out the supply issue. as i maybe willing to wait upto not more than a month, else its off to the toyota dealers for a rav4 or camry (they kinda tied for 2nd place.). witing any longer makes needing to buy a car self defeating. its no longer a need then, simply a want. unfortunate timing for me i suppose to have the need at this time.

regards,
    asmd.
  • ccacpccacp Member Posts: 117
    Does anyone have any insider info on the arrival of USA production of the CR-V for the US market. Any East Liberty Ohio plant workers read this forum. Your input would be appreciated. Canadians have been receiving US-made CR-Vs from the beginning.
    I speculate that there could be a many reasons for the delay:
    -East Liberty already is at full capacity
    -Quality issues, Canadian owners are guinea pigs !
    -To create a virtual supply issue and thus benefit Honda dealers in the US who have to discount sometimes below invoice on Odysseys, Accords, Pilots.

On this last note, supply is probably just below demand. Dealers are creating the perceived supply problem to demand deposits, pre-orders and wait lists.

Any of you have input on my comments ?
    My take - Honda will export duty free from US to NAFTA. Since US tarrifs are the lowest in the world, they will continue to import cars from Japan in to the US. I don't see much US production being sold within the US, unless demand in NAFTA countries is low in which case they will reduce imports from Japan. This is not based on any published material, but my own interpretation.

No manufacturer will starve the market when demand is there. They will loose market share to competitors like Toyota!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061
    I don't think Canada has enough demand, once the East Liberty plant is producing CR-Vs at full capacity. Once that happens, then most of the US will get US made CR-Vs. Or, at least the eastern half.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I can't understand why anyone would think for a minute that Honda or the dealers create a supply problem!

We make our livings by producing and selling cars!

From what I hear, production is expected to ramp up quickly.
    The East Liberty Ohio plant was near full capacity before the CR-V arrived ! And now with consumers in the US wanting more Civics, they have increased production of the Civic and do not have room for increased CR-V production for the US market ! That is my take !

They would probably have to decrease production of the element and Accord to make more CR-Vs.
    They expanded the plant, to be able to produce CR-Vs.. I don't think they would plan to supply the US from a US based plant, if there was no capacity.

They have a lot of room up there in the Marysville/East Liberty area for expansion(basically, the same place... the zip code depends on what side of the property the building is on).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Isellhondas, you would be surprised. Are you telling me that this supply issue has not helped you get MSRP for this car ? Look at Accords, Odysseys, Pilots and RDXs that are on the lot. Like I said, supply is just below demand and people are willing to wait a couple of weeks for their CR-V. But, they are paying near MSRP for the upscale models and thus you and your colleagues are benfiting from this virtual supply issue. I just hope they ramp up production in East Liberty fast enough before buyers move to very attractive products such as the RAV4, the Outlander, the Nissan Rogue (a smaller version of the Murano) and other products.
    So, if your hypothesis is correct, why haven't they brought US-made CR-Vs to the US market yet? They would be foolish right now to have people waiting if they have capacity at the Ohio plant right now, unless quality is an issue.....or, they are helping out their dealer network by creating a virtual supply problem.

Anyone out there that knows somebody that works at the OHio plant ?......
    "Okay, let's talk about the shortage. Do you think the shortage is man-made or they really can't whip them out as fast as they are selling? "

Honda is a conservative car company, and the CR-V has to be produced for the entire world. Therefore the initial run from Japan was limited until the US based plant gets up to speed. So no, I don't think there is a Honda induced shortage.

"Remember how they were trying to keep the 2007 CR-V under wraps so nobody would see it until release date? Why?"

Honda always does this, partially (I think) to encourage people to continue buying the old model instead of waiting for the new model. Good thinking in my opinion.

"Remember how long it took Honda to release the invoice price? More than a month! Maybe even two. So, maybe somebody (Honda) is playing games? Maybe this shortage IS actually man-made so they can create this artificial hype and have people pay MSRP?"

I don't think Honda ever released the invoice price - I suppose people either guessed it or got it from dealers, but so far as I know none of the auto manufacturers ever release invoice numbers.
    "I bought the extended war 8 yrs 75 k for 900. ( i can refund it with in 30 days) "

You can refund it at any time, but for the first 30 days you get all your money back; after that it is pro-rated based on how long and how many miles are driven.
    Why would a car manufacturer want to restrict production of a car in high demand?

Why would that make any sense to you? We, the dealers pay Honda their MSRP for every one we can get our hands on!

Honda could care less what we end up selling them for!
    "We, the dealers pay Honda their MSRP for every one we can get our hands on!"

correct me if i'm wrong, but you mean you pay the dealers invoice price right? max sugg ret price is for us the consumer.
    a agree a manufaturer's concern doesnt all lie withthe final sale price. although as a manufacturer, if you dont play ball with your retailers.. your cars dont sell. so theres simply something more to it than just "they dont care". i my opinion honda wouldnt on purpose restrict supply.. they would be simply asking for trouble, and secondly, its way too abvious coming from scuh a car giant. too much liability invovled right there. there their reputation to protect and honda relies very very heavily on their reputation to sell cars.

regards,
    asmd.
    Honda gets the same amount for every car they sell to the dealer. Not having enough cars available that are in demand could be beneficial to the dealer, if they are making 3 times their normal gross, but it does nothing but cost Honda money.

I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories about car shortages... Consumers are too fickle for manufacturers not to take advantage of having a popular item.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"Consumers are too fickle for manufacturers not to take advantage of having a popular item."

entirely true. car companies milk them for what they're worth.
    got to be some thing on their end. would be real nice for us at the end of the line to have some idea as to when stocks become freely available.

regards,
    asmd.
    Of course, that is what I meant. We pay whatever price they decide to charge us and we will take every CRV they would be willing to send us about now.
  • wiredpairwiredpair Member Posts: 25
    As with many other posters here, the supply in my area (Long Island) is short. My local dealer has zero on the lot and according to the salesperson I've met with twice, 5 of the 8 they are expecting are gone.

The only incoming not sold that I was interested in was a Black EX-L AWD model. Her best price was $600 below MSRP after initially being $300 less than MSRP. I walked. I was told I would have to wait 12 weeks if I wanted to order one.

I called the dealer where I bought my Odyssey from and he offered $500 off MSRP because I was a prior customer - otherwise it was MSRP. He said he had 2 EX-L AWD models in stock.

Is anyone getting better pricing than this? I guess the supply demand theory is accurate.

Thanks,
    Eric
    If I had that black EXL 4WD in stock right now it would be gone immediatly.

I'm sure some will disagree but 600.00 below MSRP was actually a great deal.
  • wiredpairwiredpair Member Posts: 25
    Apparently it will be arriving in early March but I was hoping to get one now or very soon.
    That is my whole point: If you can sell all your CR-Vs at MSRP right now there is no impetus for Honda to glut the market with CR-Vs. Especially for smaller dealers that only receive 5-10 every month at most, if they make 3000 instead of 1000 that is a huge gift from Honda corporate on top of holdback.

So, I guess every one of us is in agreement, except for dealers who are reaping from this right now.

Let us get back to the people who are actually getting DEALS on these things....
  • bigpapibigpapi Member Posts: 10
    It's been the same in Boston. Depending on the dealership the market for CRV's is all over the place. I've contacted about 7 different dealerships within 20 miles of my town on a CRV EX AWD and have had some insisting that I have to wait a month to get one and must pay MSRP or higher (this was in the nicest town) and others who say they have a few on the lot and are willing to take as high as $1400 off MSRP (this was in the worst town). Most have offered to take at least $800 off MSRP right off the bat, but there are a few who won't budge from MRSP simply because they keep getting customers who are willing to pay more than they should.
    march eh.. that would be just about the 1 month wait that the dealers have mentioned when i inquired. well, those who will buy, will buy. those who wont will either buy some other car next on the list or simply wait.
    frankly, if you add up the numbers in my opinion, volume generates better revenue than just a few slightly higher yield sales. so, both the manufacturer and the dealer lose on this. i can inderstand why the dealer would want to stick by his higeet margin so to make up for the loss of profit generated by volume sales.
    still, in the end... no one wins. honda had better perk up on this.

regards,
    asmd.
    I guess I wasn't clear...

Honda WANTS to send as all of the cars they possibley can!

They don't CARE what we make on them!
  • chwtomchwtom Member Posts: 46
    Hello all.

Just wanted to let people know what a wonderful experience I had buying a CR-V. I bought a royal blue 2007 CR-V EX-L AWD for 24,900 (about $100 over invoice) including destination. We leased it, so I can't give you a final price, but that was the selling price without tax and approximately $200 in fees.

I got it from Boyland Honda in Greenfield, Wisconsin. I exclusively dealt with the internet sales manager there, and he was an absolute pleasure to deal with. He was honest and upfront from beginning to end, and never played any games. If anyone in Wisconsin, Illinois or Minnesota wants a CR-V for a good price without getting jerked around, I can't recommend enough that you email Dan the internet manager.
  • snoopy21snoopy21 Member Posts: 114
    That is my whole point: If you can sell all your CR-Vs at MSRP right now there is no impetus for Honda to glut the market with CR-Vs.

honda motor company makes their money by selling as many cars as they can to the dealerships (at invoice)...whether it sells for MSRP, above that, or below that makes no difference to HMC as that is the money the dealerships make. therefore, it is in honda's best interest to make as many cars as necessary to meet demand.

look, it's a new model, they did a nice job on the design, we're coming out of the slowest car sales time of the year (winter), it may have taken some people some repeated exposure to appreciate the new "look", and the U.S. plant production is still going over the border...add all that together and you have demand exceeding supply. the car business is not like some other industries that can start and stop on a dime...there are hundreds of suppliers and thousands of workers involved and the lead time is tremendous.
    I'm as guilty as anyone... but, let's get back to actual prices paid...

Thanks.. :blush:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thanks chwtom.
    I just put in an internet quote request for a CRV:)
    Your rationale is much too simplistic. There's more going on behind the scenes. Honda sells to the dealers, but unless the dealers can sell at a high price, Honda must recalculate and sell to the dealers for less so that they can move inventory. Whether this lower price comes in the form of a lower invoice price, rebates, or whatever is simply a matter of juggling numbers.

If you don't think that there is a whole department focused on managing inventory so as not to creat a glut, you're deluded.
  • undertoadundertoad Member Posts: 5
    $900 for 45K miles worth of service??? My '02 CR-V has 67K and I have replaced oil, filters, one set of tires and a battery. I'm sure none of those items are covered by warranty, extended or otherwise. Me thinks you have little experience with Hondas. Having had 13 Honda products since 1982, I never spent that kind of money on any of them. I typically trade between 100-125K miles.
    I agree, I never had to use the 100k Hondacare extended warranty of my current 2001 Odyssey. Honda vehicles are one of the least expensive to maintain.
  • snoopy21snoopy21 Member Posts: 114
    hi gang, i created a new discussion topic called

Pricing, Supply, Demand and Availability where we can move all this off-topic discussion so this one can return to normal.
  • bmwguy23bmwguy23 Member Posts: 43
    Current lease MF's on the CRV are pretty bad...cash is king on the CRV for now. I hope you were able to calculate your own lease and your payment matched what the dealer gave you...acquistion fee, cap, MF, residual for your term.

2007 Honda CR-V 4WD 5dr Wagon EX-L / Compare Bank Lease Programs HERE

24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 67% of MSRP – .00380 Base Money Factor Buy Rate
    36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 61% of MSRP – .00275 Base Money Factor Buy Rate
    48 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 50% of MSRP – .00255 Base Money Factor Buy Rate
    60 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 39% of MSRP – .00460 Base Money Factor Buy Rate

24 mo/12k mi – Residual Value 68% of MSRP – .00380 Base Money Factor Buy Rate
    36 mo/12k mi – Residual Value 63% of MSRP – .00275 Base Money Factor Buy Rate
    48 mo/12k mi – Residual Value 52% of MSRP – .00255 Base Money Factor Buy Rate
    The most popular lease is a 3 year, 12K lease. With a Money Factor of .00275, that would roughly equate to about a 6.5 % interest rate. That's about as good as the banks and credit unions are offering.

It isn't subsidized like the Accords are and for good reason.

But, just look at the RESIDUAL! A WHOPPING 63% after three years!! Try that with a domestic or Korean car!

Speaks volumes about the great resale values!