Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    As a for instance, I bought my 2003 Pro ES - 6 cd, moonroof, 5 speed - for 11,300 in november. Its sticker was over 17k.

Look at it this way, if you check the edmunds trade-in value of a 2003 Pro and it's lower than what you're paying, you might want to keep negotiating.
  • lonestarlonestar Posts: 15
    Anyone have any leads on where I could locate an unsold LX or ES in the Midwest? I live in the St Louis area. Thanks!
  • oskwioskwi Posts: 88
    I just got back from vacation and saw your post from last week...blueguydotcom is right, keep negotiating. I bought a 2001 Protege ES in early September for about $10,500. Car was loaded with CD, fog lamps, sunroof, alloys, side air bags, spoiler, etc. It only had 19,000 miles on it. List price was $13,599 but purchased for $10,500. I would not have paid almost $14,000 for the car BUT $10,500 was reasonable. I had originally wanted a new one with all the rebates, but there were none to be had (that were fully loaded) anywhere in WNY and I needed a newer car fast!

Good luck with your buying!
    After 3 days of negotiating, I currently have a deal on the table for $11K for a leftover 2003 blue DX with 5 spd, fog lights, 6-CD, AC, spoiler. Sales manager says they're already taking a bath on this car at $11K--thoughts?

Also, a local dealer just picked up a blue LX automatic with 9,750 miles. Great condition even though it's lean on accessories (no 6-CD, no fogs, no spoiler). Kelly blue book trade-in is $9K even, while Edmunds prices out trade-in at $9.8K. Any guesses on what a reasonable offer should be?
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Posts: 314
    You should be able to get it a bit cheaper than that. I got a DX AUTOMATIC with 6-disc CD for $11,200 way back in November, so a manual after 5 months should be cheaper.

It is a terrific car. A blast to drive and with probably the best driving position of any car I've ever owned, and thats without height adjustable seats.
    But did your model have fog lights and a rear spoiler? While an automatic trans adds $720 to the base price, fog lights add $213 and the spoiler as $247. If yours came equipped without these, I'm only $260 higher than your final negotiated price.

Also, are the manual windows a pain? I found the position of the crank on the driver's door to be poorly positioned...hand keeps bumping into the dashboard.
    No foglights or spoiler, but my 6-disc CD changer was the same price as both of those, or close to it. I actually had to look long and hard for a car WITHOUT a spoiler, as I just don't like them.
    Actually the DX model I'm looking at has as options/accessories: fog lights, spoiler, AC, and 6 cd-in dash audio system.

Just worried that I may later regret not landing an LX that would have the power features.
    I was worried about it too, and I'm still not sure I made the right choice. The LX has all of the luxury goodies and of course those things are nice to have, BUT.....

For me, when I drove the cars the DX seemed more right. I don't know, the luxury goodies were just not in character with the rest of the car, which to me feels very much like a modern-day Datsun 510 or BMW 2002, and thus, should have manual locks and crank windows.

Of course, buying a new car close to $11 grand is its own reward.
    Thanks to those who gave me feedback on earlier posts... Bit the bullet and bought a leftover 2003 Protege DX 5-spd this past Wednesday. Lovin' life, as they say. After a decade of SUVs and family vans it's sooo nice to ride in a small car that's so much fun to drive. Just can't believe how underrated Mazda is...can't imagine riding around in a plain Corolla or Civic right now.
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    Hi, this is my first post to this board. I need to get my 19 year old daughter an inexpensive car. $10K or thereabouts is the most I can spend. We're both sold on the Protege. Hertz is selling '03 LX's with around 25K miles on them for $9995. The Mazda dealers around here (central IL) still have a few new '03s sitting around on their lots, and I'm wondering if it's possible to snag one for around the same money. There was talk here earlier this year of $6500 discounts off sticker which would put an LX auto at around $10K. But I don't know if all the rebates and dealer incentives that were available earlier for '03 Pros can still be had. Any advice on whether an LX automatic for $10K - 11K is a realistic objective at this point?
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    ... but a few months ago, my dealer (Richmond, VA) had $2,500 discounts on the '03s to get them off the lot. I would [non-permissible content removed]-U-ME something similar still applies, being that it's mid-2004 and almost time for the '05s to come out, LOL!

Meade
    I bought a DX 5-spd. with rear spoiler, AC, and in-dash 6-CD for $11K. I dealt over the internet with a dealer 139 miles away. Some SoCal posters have bragged about buying ES models for $11.3K or so, but I don't think there is currently enough incentive money out there to get the prices down that far, or perhaps my dealer didn't want to sell at a huge loss. I can't complain about buying at $3.8K below invoice, though.

There is a St Louis dealer that still shows Proteges in its inventory as of less than a week ago (Randy Blount Northgate Mazda). Go to the MazdaUSA website and click on "build and buy," then "search inventory." You'll have ZIP code and distance options from there.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    This seems like it could be a very helpful tool

www.mydealerreport.com
    When did the last Proteges get delivered to dealers? I'm assuming any new ones still in dealer inventories have been sitting on their lots for at least a year...correct?
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    I think the last deliveries took place in July/August of 2003.
    My new 2003 was built in July 2003 and was delivered to the dealership in Aug/Sept. Folks in the market for leftovers should check out the data plate to ascertain the manufacture date. Had mine been built in late 2002, for instance, I doubt I would have bought it.
    "Had mine been built in late 2002, for instance, I doubt I would have bought it"

Just curious.....why not?
    Thanks for the replies. I called up a local dealer about a new '03 LX shown on their website. MSRP is $15,890 plus destination charges. Right off the bat he quoted me $12,462 including destination charge. I'm hoping to knock at least a grand off that.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Check for what the same car goes for on a trade-in.
This discussion has been closed.