Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant

1789101113»

Comments

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,637
    One trip on US highway 50 through Nevada would convince anyone not to tow much weight with a passenger car. I've seen too much carnage on that road. I'm a believer in never pushing your tow weight.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,584
    I was able to pull-start a fully-loaded moving van once with a '68 Dart. However, it was a V-8. And also, being on level ground helps a bit. And I don't take that as an indication that I would want to tow that much weight at highway speeds! :P
    Oh you could pull 2,000 lbs with a V-8 Dart for a short distance at moderate speeds I would think. Besides a van is a lot more stable than a two-wheel trailer I would guess and there's not much tongue weight.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,584
    Back when I delivered pizzas, one of the other drivers had a 1991 Civic hatchback that died on him while on a run. I helped him get the thing home. We went by his friend's house and got a dog chain, and tied his Civic to my Dart and towed it home. For the most part I couldn't even tell that the other car was back there, except when slowing down, if the guy in the Civic hit his brakes too hard.

A couple years later, my '89 Gran Fury refused to start, and I used the Dart to tow it to the repair shop about 2 miles away. In this case, the Fury outweighed the Dart, but it still wasn't that noticeable. But then, it was mostly flat ground, which isn't going to stress out a car too much. Heck, when you think about it, a couple guys on foot could probably push a car to a decent speed, on level ground.
    When I was poor and stupid, or should I say stoopider :P I had an old Audi with no reverse gear, and I would push it out of parking spaces all the time. If it was parked downhill I had to wait for the car in front of me to leave. Those German wheel bearings saved my butt!

the laws of physics do allow a 5,000 lb truck to pull a 10,000 lb truck, but "pull" and "tow" are rather two different things.
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    imageheight="450"
    If I were that guy I'd just stop resisting and let the train tow him. :P
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    Yeah, and what I really like is that orange safety vest he's wearing. It's going to make all the difference!
  • zaken1zaken1 Posts: 556
    I just hope he's not wearing false teeth (OUCH!!!).

Actually, he is neither pulling nor being towed by the train. What really happened is that the train's air brakes went out; which forced an emergency stop and the evacuation of all the passengers. The train is now located on a very shallow incline; and the man is holding it to prevent it from rolling away; until the Sagvagen arrives.

This is the undisclosed reason why KTM refuses to equip its motorcycles with air brakes.
  • Of course I plan to beef up the valiant before towing anything. Disc brakes trany cooler bigger radiator ad lower gears for sure and The trailer I want to pull will be small maybe even a vintage pop up tent trailer or a tear-drop style. Thanx for the info based on what I have read here I think I will be fine.
    Best thing you can do is weigh the rig you plan to pull, once it's loaded up. That way you know right off if you are beyond the car's AND the hitch's capabilities.
1789101113»
This discussion has been closed.