Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• Just took our 2004 Armada with 13,000 miles in for the 4th and final brake problem. Good News or at least I hope so. The Nissan Rep said that 2 weeks ago engineering finally found the brake problem fix and real issue. It was in the electrical not the brakes although that is what was affected. He said that so far everyone that has had this new repair has not had more problems.....so we are hoping this is the end of the brake issue. Will let you know if we have any more issues for we really like this vehicle but can not keep it if the brake issues persists. Anyone that is still experiencing brake problems, take it back in for this electronic repair. :)
  • brad701brad701 Posts: 20
    I have to say that the pads and rotors on my brother's truck are smaller than I would have expected, especially given the weight of the truck and its 9000 lb. tow rating. I always assumed the brake rotor problems for the first year trucks were a result of customers overheating their brakes because the brakes were on the small side, and that perhaps Nissan underspeced the rotors given their relative lack of experience with heavy vehicles at the time. Of course that's all speculation. I don't see how electrical issues could cause the rotors to be warping (unless it's ABS related, but Nissan would have figured that out 3 years ago), would love to know more details about the suppossed "electrical fix".
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Has anyone here used their Armada to tow more than 7000 lbs. How well did it tow this weight, and how did the auto leveling rear suspension handle the tongue weight? Did it keep the rear of the truck from sagging and prevent swaying?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Nissan Armada
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • haropharop Posts: 59
    First I would like to thank the HOST for reopenning this thread.

I am having some weird feeling when I let the accelerator pedal and coast say when approaching a red light. After a few seconds of taking my foot from accelerator pedal and without breaking, I feel like the truck "jerks" forward, something like it accelerates for a moment and let it go. This happens very fast, but it is not too hard to feel it. After that it kind of like shifts into neutral. I don't mind this and consider it normal, unless someone tells me this is wrong.

BTW, I am getting around 14.5MPG from my LE 4x4 in everyday heavy traffic morning and evening commute. This is better than I was expecting. Did not see any difference for mileage when using base vs. super gasoline.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Perhaps it's the torque converter locking and unlocking?
    I am looking for comments from anyone who did off-roading with Armada. I tried to search the web, but really could not find any info related to specifically Armada. I am planning some light-offroading, primerally dirt-road through some mountains in CA. Any input, advice would be greatly appreciated.

According to different specs, like approach angle, departure angle, etc., Armadas' characteristics are the best in its class for off-roading. But I don't want to be guided( or perhaps misguided ) by specs, hence looking for real experience from you.

Thanks,
    -haro
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I've had mine offroad, it did extremely well. Much better than I thought, considering I heavily offroaded my previous truck a 2000 Isuzu Trooper (one of the top 10 offroaders ever) If I planned to offroad it I would remove the sidesteps as I almost messed them up badly on mine and get a replacement front bumper (at least take off the lower valence)

-mike
    In the past 2 years I've had my 2004 Armada I've put on 32k miles and of those 32k I've towed probably 28k of them.

My 2 trailers are:
    6000lb Race-Car Trailer
    5500lb Hi Performance Boat

The auto-leveling works great, just give it about 3-4 minutes of idle time when before you start driving to allow it to level it for you. I don't even notice the trailers on there and the towing hasn't effected my brakes after having the final upgrade done on the brakes by Nissan at 3k miles. This coming spring I'm upgrading my boat from a 22ft to a 33ft with a towing weight of 9000lbs triple axle trailer. I've actually towed the 33 before and it tows well on the Armada, not as well as the smaller boat or car trailer but not bad at all.

-mike
    Thanks Mike,

Good to know your experience on Towing and Off-Roading.

One more thing I am interested is to know if the OEM tires would be OK on snow. I am sure I can get something better than OEM, but I live in Texas and don't want to get new tires just for some travel when I can get some snow or not.

-haro
    I used the OEM ones last winter and they weren't that good in the snow, however if you live in TX I wouldn't run out and replace them. I am in the process of actually purchasing tires for mine as they are shot. I'm getting the Bridgestone AT Revos for it. Was gonna get bigger BF Goodrich TKOs in a larger size, but since I'm going to be towing near the limit next year I don't want to get worse gearing so I'm going to stick with the stock size Revos.

-mike
    Just put on a new set of Bridgestone AT Revos in stock 18" size. AMAZING IMPROVEMENT even in the dry with them over the stockers even when they were new. These tires should have been the stock tires. I expect my milage may drop a hair but the grip is great. Can't wait for the first rain and snow to get here!

Next up is a front light bar with 2 or 4 Hella 4000s on it :)

-mike
  • :) It is December and the brakes are still working great!! Before this last fix we would have already had problems again. I didn't believe it when they said it was in the electical signals for it didn't make sense....but here's hoping it continues!! Merry Christmas!
  • Paisan: do you remember how many miles you got out of your Continental Tires...mine are badly worn at 20k....not sure if it's too much (light)off-road use or just not rotating enough.

Are the Bridgestones quieter?

Thanks! Daniel
    And the Conties weren't bald, but I was out of alignment on 1 front one and these tires sucked bad in the snow, and were pretty bad in the rain at this point.

The Bridgestones are about the same noise wise, ride is the same and I haven't driven in any snow or rain yet with them but I'll keep yah posted.

-Mike
    Just wanted to share with you guys my Driving Lights...

2-Hella 4000 Pencil Beams (2-2.5mile range)
    2-Hella 4000 Euro Beams (2500-2600ft range)

-Mike

• Just reading back and obviously can see the brake issues between complete failures to pulsation problems, but no one is stating the years of there Armada's that this is effecting. Is this still happening on the 06's and 07's Armada's as well??? Want to buy one and just want to make sure the brake failure issues are at least taken care of. Pulsation i can live with easily fixed with cross drilled rotors, but brake failures is another thing?? Looking for some feed back??

Coop
    Only the 04s. The Pulsing was undersized rotors and pads on the 04s and 05s. I've had my 04 updated and not an issue even after towing 9000lb trailers for a good portion of it's life. I did have problems with them warping before I upgraded them.

-mike
  • Did you ever have the braking system completely fail? or the brake pedal go to the floor as I have been reading? Also what do you think about your Armada? How does it tow? even 9000lbs worth?? I will be towing 7200 lbs of travel trailer regularly so just curious if the Armada is up to the task?

Thanks
    Koop
  • Since our last fix...our SUV has worked like a charm. This is after taking it in 3 times and being told it was fixed. I think Nissan finally realized that they would not be selling another SUV of any sort if they didn't get to the root of the problem. We had the first model so I feel very comfortable recommending later models now that the brake problems is finally fixed. We love our Armada...very roomy, very comfortable, nice ride. When we go on trips with our friends they always want us to drive for the comfort and room. Buy with confidence that this issue is I feel finally over :)
  • You wouldn't happen to have any vibrations in your Armada? When i road tested an 07 loaded navi and all all i could feel is a vibration from 20mph and up in the seat of my pants, even in the second and third rows seats? Not sure if it is just this model we road tested, so were going back to road test another one once they PDI another for us to try. If no vibrations felt i will be buying one that's for sure. I went tonight to road test an 07 Suburban for the same size vehicle well almost a bit bigger but still,. This thing really needs and engine like the Armada. It felt heavy and sluggish even when floored. So that road test sold me alone on the Armada. Way nicer vehicle and a lot more power to have on tap especially when towing.

Thanks for every one's helps and advice.
    On the vibration, have them check the pressure, often times dealers over-inflate the tires so they don't flat spot while sitting on the lots. This can lead to vibrations.

I have no vibrations on mine after 36k miles and some heavy duty offroad excursions.

As for room, they are awsome, we regularly load up the race team which is 4 hefty guys and all our gear plus a 6,000lb race car trailer and head out. We do 75-85mph with the cruise control set up and down the mountain interstates, no issues. I also regularly tow a 6,000lb boat trailer up to the Adirondacks and no issues there either. At race events we usually put 6 hefty guys in there to run back to the hotel Fri/Sat night and everyone loves to ride in it and we aren't small folks.

Recently I did a 1000 mile treck with 25 subarus and was the support vehicle and the only guys who were able to keep up were the STis and Legacy GTs. :)

I towed my buddy's 9000+lb cigarette boat (Triple Axle) without issue a few times and am about to sell my boat and buy his 33ft cig boat with the tri-axle and will be towing that regularly this summer.

I'll put it this way, if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd go get an 07 Armada loaded.

-Mike
  • We've never pulled anything with our Armada but in normal driving we have not felt any vibration. Good Luck on your purchase. :shades:
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    We bought our 05 in Dec 04 and had brake problems at about 7K and then about 13K. After 2 new sets of rotors they finally got the right rotors on the 3rd try. They did actually tell me that it may or may not work after the first 2 services. Got about 45K miles on it now with no problems. Except for the occasional overhead rattle.
  • I can't believe there's no talk about the 2008 Armada. Pictures & comments were released during Chicago Auto Show a couple weeks back. Interior looks MUCH better (IMO) than before... And unless pics are deceiving, it appears that the leather texture/quality may have increased closer to that of the Infinity version. And outside is a bit different (no more heavy chrome) and rear reminds me of Infinity version.

If it weren't for gas mileage, with these interior changes (my biggest complaint before), this would definitely be my next vehicle.

What are some opinions on the new designs?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,663
    Here ya go Mike. Maybe this will get something started here.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2249

Bob
  • petro33petro33 Posts: 192
    OK.... I am in the market for a new suv. I have a '01 sequoia (133,000 miles Limited) and love it but I will be buying a new trailer and need to upgrade to a higher tow rating. I know the seq will have a new engine in it in '08 that will tow 9,000 + but I want to reconsider all vehicles. When you read consumer reports about the Armada they still give it lousy report on reliability. I always thought that was due to the brake problem that has now been fixed, so why the low rating?

The new seq will also be bigger than my '01 so I need to compare it to vehicles the same size?

My biggest criteria on purchasing a new vehicle is reliability. I'll pay for one that holds together rather than buy one at a lower price with a longer warrenty only to be going back to the dealer for constant repairs.

Any thoughts about the Armada that make it the best suv? I like leather, heated seats, power seats, navagition system, moon roof, and easy access to last row of seats ( I have a disabled son who likes to ride in the back all the time).
    45k miles on my truck. Pretty much flawless. I regularly tow 10,000lb cigarette boat trailer and a 6,000lb race car trailer. I push mine HARD and it's still working well.

I'm not sure what the new sequoia will have in terms of towing my guess is it will be low again around 7500. Toyota will likely be more reliable though than even my quite reliable 04 Armada.

-mike