Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the armada's manual says that using the outer anchors for a center-mounted seat is ok as long as its ok with the seat manufacturers. im wondering why this is that big of an issue, since no sedans have the center anchors either. my solution would be to get the captains chairs and keep the console out.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Not yet, sir. We're having way too much fun with the FX. :)
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    My reason for not going that route is; I have two big carseats and we typically take my mother in law on vacation with us. If we go the captains chair route, we have no storage capability, since we would have to keep the 3rd row seat up. If the rear seat was a split fold down I might have considered the captains chairs. Last year we rented an Expedition and had the entire back filled (3rd row folded down) and a car top carrier. So you can see my problem--I have a wife who likes to take everything but the kitchen sink on vacation.
    put the car seats on the outsides. the space between the 1st and 2nd rows is still more than enough to slide through to the middle seat.

also, check your carseats instructions and see if they allow for doubling up on the anchors.
  • andy85andy85 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 PF LE and am seriously considering the Armada. I have test driven the LE with the entertainment package a couple of times and really enjoyed it. It feels like a giant compared to my 2000 PF. As a newbie to this site, I appreciate the discussion...and, as a result, knew way more about the Armada than the salesman I was dealing with ! Thank you.

I was, however, very disppointed to learn that the only way climate control is available is with the LE and Navigation Package. I really like the LE but don't need nor want the navigation package. I would have thought like my 2000 PF LE, that climate control is a standard feature with a premium model like the LE. Any thoughts on this ?

Also, are there any Canadian $$ dealer invoice costs on this site ?

Look forward to new information.
    Unless I am mistaken the reason it is tied to the NAV package, is because the bottom of the nav screen is where the set temp and actual temp are displayed...Otherwise they would have to install a separate screen just for climate control....Bowke28 could confirm this...

Bowke28--I think you misunderstood my response... I just wouldn't have enough cargo space to take the 5 of us if I had to have the 3rd row seat in the upright position. As it is I will probably have barely enough. Contemplated the Suburban, but no side curtain air bags--which my wife said was a must.
    thats accurate...there is nowhere to display the climate control readout without a screen on top.

rshe...my suggestion was that your mother-in-law could slide in past the outer car seat to sit in the middle, and have immediate access to both of her "beautiful grandbabies" ;-) this would also allow the 3rd row to be folded down.

if side-curtains are a must, according to your wife (which i think automatically makes it a must...lol.), then you may HAVE TO get the armada, since its the only one that has them standard.
    Sorry, I misunderstood your response.. Your right and that is what I will most probably do.. Ordered my Armada last week-- LE 4x4 with Tech and DVD. Would love to have gotten XM, but not available yet. I guess I will just add it aftermarket. Can't wait for it to get here.

I find it funny though that Nissan has had this vehicle out for a few weeks now and not a single dealership has a brochure for it yet???
    you are right. i just got my 1st one, but they sent only 15 of them...enough for everyone to have 1.

by the way...where did you get yours? i have a customer looking for one like yours in smoke/graphite, and we cant find one.
    I ordered mine... Won't be in untill after Christmas...

I did notice one (just like I ordered) when I did an inventory search, that was up in PA...Sent the dealer an e-mail, but they didn't respond... Probably sold it already.

I didn't mind ordering mine--I wanted the guys in Mississippi to get a few more months under their belt.. Maybe work out some of the kinks we are seeing on this site.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Go to www.infintiwholesaleparts.com they have Nissan/Infiniti Kits for the Armada. It will work just like the factory kit. You can probably do it yourself in an hour or two.
    Tried your link, but It came back as an invalid address. Could you check and let me know.. Thanks for the info.
    i did a national search, and the only one equipped like we're looking for is in PA...lol. the quest SE in smoke is the most sought after model made, and i think smoke LE armadas are going the same direction. we even tried to trade for a quest SE w/dual screen DVD from a guy in st. louis, and he wanted to charge us, as a dealer, $1000 over MSRP. i asked my customer if he would pay $2500 over, and its likely you all know the answer...lol. i just have a feeling that finding one of the loaded armadas in smoke will be a similar problem.
    Sorry I was missing an "i" www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    Does anyone know anything about after market navigation? The Armada SE and SE off road, my personal favorite, do not offer a navigation system as an option. I wish Nissan would have had navigation as an option on all models, but nope. :)

So, I am wondering about after market navigation. Is that feasible? Does it like factory installed, or do you get a mobile unit, much like a computer lap top, hand held? Any opinions?

Also, what are opinions on auto navigation systems in general?
    Thanks, That did it !!
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    Does anyone know anything about after market navigation? The Armada SE and SE off road, my personal favorite, do not offer a navigation system as an option. I wish Nissan would have had navigation as an option on all models, but nope. :)

So, I am wondering about after market navigation. Is that feasible? Does it like factory installed, or do you get a mobile unit, much like a computer lap top, hand held? Any opinions?

Also, what are opinions on auto navigation systems in general?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Canadian pricing is hard to come by, at least for free. Try this link for some pay sites.

Steve, Host
    Most expensive.

There are several aftermarket systems..Pioneer, Alpine, etc.. These are all good systems, but require a good mounting location for the screen, mounting location for the nav. unit (about the size of a car radio) and tapping into the cruise control speed sensor. These would be most like the factory installed nav for accuracy and reliability.

Less expensive
    Garman makes portable units which are good, but can lose service in the urban environments and require downloading map detail info. off of a CD, before a trip.. There latest unit however does offer a speed sensor option, but allows the main unit to remain portable.

Least expensive (assuming you own a laptop)
    The Laptop units are supposed to be good as well,but any of them that don't have the gyro and speed servo hardwired to the vehicle are subject to lost signals in the urban environment and will not as accurately place your location on the map.

My biggest issue with the portables is that unless you secure them well you have a projectile in the vehicle.
    Yes, that's why I just ordered mine.. Got tired of searching for it and talking with dealers that wanted over invoice..Or like the one in PA that didn't respond at all.

Just hope the dealer I ordered from doesn't sell it out from under me when it gets on their lot in Dec LOL.. I have requested the order # (when the order goes in in Nov.) and VIN # as soon as it is asembled so there is no funny stuff..The dealer I ordered from seems really good, so I don't think there will be a problem..
    they have no reason to screw with you...its a bird in the hand instead of 2 in the bush.
  • juriasjurias Member Posts: 9
    how can i get invoice price on an armada?
    buy a nissan franchise! ;-)
    edmunds has it listed under new cars
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Someone mentioned this earlier. Just doing an unscientific survey of some large SUV's I saw over the weekend, none of them have locking fuel doors. Those I noticed include; Chevy Suburban and Tahoe, Lincoln Navigator, Ford Expedition and Explorer and Mercedes ML350. I'm sure there is a reason that they don't have it. It may have something to do with the length of some of these vehicles. The Navigator which can get up to mid 60's didn't see fit to do it. Just some observations.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    This has got to be the dumbest designation I have ever seen - a monstrous vehicle with 2 wheel drive, leather seats, and everything except a water fountain in the back, advertised as an "off road" vehicle. This thing will get stuck in soft sand or deep mud in an instant and it will take full size truck with a winch to get it out. And who is going to do serious offroading with a 40K+ vehicle this size?

Just because somebody ads a few skid plates to a vehicle, it does not make it an all terrain jeep. This is an insult to those of us who have real off road vehicles, even if they do not bear that designation on their doors. I thought that Nissan had better taste than this.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This is an insult to those of us who have real off road vehicles...

You should feel flattered that so many want to emulate you even if they don't quite have what it takes! ;-)

tidester, host
  • dennisgeedennisgee Member Posts: 1
    A local dealer by my house in Ca. has added a $6000 dealer markup for a grand total of $49K. This is for a LE 4X4 smoke.
  • rosie726rosie726 Member Posts: 40
    I know some dealers are price gouging, but I can tell you it is not all of them, We ordered ours (a 4x4 LE loaded) for about 3300 off of list. Could've had the same deal for one on the lot, but it wasn't exactly what we wanted) Our salesman says it's more important to get some on the road! Just my experience...............
    the off-road designation has to do with the suspension. what the 2WD version gives is 4x4 ground clearance with much more heavy-duty suspension. but realistically, its for the ego trip and cutting across those treacherous gravel parking lots! lol
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    Prices - wait a year, or so. Dealers are just stupid greedy people. Also, even the best cars have some teething problems first year. So, may be Sequoya is better choice this year, since the car is great. Or a Suburban - rebates are just unbeliveable. Or Dodge, or Ford/Lincoln/Merqury....
  • peter_in_atlpeter_in_atl Member Posts: 42
    No one within 100 miles has an LE 4x4 with the Technology and DVD packages.
    there are a total of 2 fully equipped like that in the nation. i did a national search earlier today.unless you want to pay for a flatbed, you probably should order it.

fsv...careful here with generalities...those who want one will buy one, no matter what prices are on the window. also:

"Or a Suburban - rebates are just unbeliveable. Or Dodge, or Ford/Lincoln/Merqury...."

are you kidding?!?! dont you ever wonder WHY they offer all that money? they obviously know what their vehicles are REALLY worth...
    They may be greedy, but who's the stupid ones--those that are paying over sticker. Nobody needs an Armada today(or any other vehicle for that matter), it is a matter of want. I ordered one (since I don't have to be the first on my block to have one in front of my house) and it will be in towards the end of the year. $1500 over invoice and my dealer was great. No BS and the price was as quoted over the internet.
    BTW I have been visiting another Nissan thread and the resonance issue (getting a little heated) has been noticed on all models SE,SEOR,LE and 4x2's and 4x4's. The funny thing is that it isn't across the board in every vehicle. Some owners say they have never had any noise at all. Some have suggested it is a tire inflation issue, but I just cant see how that can have an effect what feels like a wind buffeting resonance. I'm am not an engineer though. Any thoughts.
    The QX56 is now on the Infiniti website. It apparently has a couple of goodies left off of the loaded LE Armada. Nav is standard as well as the rear camera. The interior should please those here who commented on the "tupperware" look. They also squeezed a few extra ponies out of the engine. They list it at 310+ horses. I couldn't find any info on power folding rear view mirrors but they're probably there. 50K to start. Sunroof and Rear Entertainment are optional. Not many differences here so it's probably not worth the extra money.
    Gained in HP, but lost 200 lbs in towing capacity?? Must be the weight of the extra crap they threw in there.. The interior is identical to the Armada, with a little burlwood thrown in. And I think the grill looks better on the Armada.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    hey steve, didn't you find the name for this resonance anomaly? (which BTW, occurs on most SUVs, not just the Armada).
  • wdogwdog Member Posts: 21
    Aggiedog, thanks for the post. One place you can save is if you want a nav system and not a moonroof. All told it's a PFA $4000 option, but as nav is standard on QX56 there's a saving of $1200 leaving out the moonroof.

I got a Lincoln Navigator rather then an Expy just because it liked the former's looks so much more. Five years later I realized the extra sound deadening, fourth year on the warranty, higher speed handling problems that I did not share with some Expy owners, better carpeting, etc., made the Navigator the no regrets right choice for me.

I'd buy a Tahoe Z71, but nav sys not available. To me, interior in LE PFA disappoints by comparison.

Now why Infiniti forces premium gas on you for 5 extra hp's is beyond me. Both my 99 Navigator and the Expy run on regular. Seems, unless I can figure differently or gas prices soar, that it's right for me to wait. Let's see holding a QX56 5 yrs => $1000+/yr.
  • auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    Towing capacity of QX56 is posted as 9100lbs in the infiniti website, comparison section, and it is identical to the one of Armada...
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    is the new VW Touareg, and not the Armada. Here's the link. I just got my issue in the mail, and have not had a chance to read it yet.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/suv/112_0310_suvoy_touareg/

Bob
    If you sit through the flash presentation on the site, it says 8900 lbs??????
    That flash presentation is not very user friendly. I'm sure they'll get the message about that towing discrepancy. I don't know why they hurried and put out the pics if they're not going to be available until spring 04. As far as the differences, I think the leather looks better, at least in pictures. Also, did I read something about dual exhaust? My better half, who I'll admit likes "the finer things" will probably take one look at that QX56 and forget all about the Armada LE which she initially said was our next purchase as soon as prices drop from MSRP. I'll try to hide the pictures as long as I can.
    I just saw a response on another web site that suggests the resonance has to do with the position of the roof rack crossbars.. They can be adjusted and the resonance will go away. Not sure if this is accurate but worth a try.
    Have to agree with you on the leather in the QX56 vs. the pleather in the Armada.. Looks better hands down.. Can't justify paying another $6000-$8000 for it thought..
    I agree but you know the saying; What a girl wants ...
  • hsfordhsford Member Posts: 14
    rshe, I dont know if you are allowed to mention the other thread in this forum, but I would be interested to see it...I experienced the resonance again the other night on the freeway. I will adjust my crossbars on the roof rack and see if it makes any difference. Sounds slightly plausible so I will give it a shot and Keep everyone posted.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Usually I see complaints about helicopter noise when a window is open; see Tidester's message:

tidester "Volvo XC90 SUV" Jan 4, 2003 12:19am

The other thing that comes to mind is periodic vortex shedding that I picked up from Juice in the Subaru boards. That's the theory behind the wrapping on your radio aerial - break up a smooth surface.

My aftermarket roof rack howled too until I put some 1x4's on top of the round bars. Maybe wrapping some cord around the factory crossbars would help if adjusting the roof rack spread doesn't? Or try a fairing?

Steve, Host
    Trust me I know!!LOL My wife demanded something with side curtain AB, so it quickly limited my search to the Seq. and Arm..

Hsford---I would love to know if that works for you. It sounded like the most plausable explanation I have heard so far.

Steves idea of a rack fairing would be interesting as well. The other thing I wondered is, would a sunroof deflector disturb the air enough over the crossbars to eliminate the problem.. An even easier solution.
    get one without leather and add aftermarket leather. its often much higher quality than factory.