Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Towing capacity on the Sequoia is about 6000-6500lbs. That is well below the 8000-10000 capacity of the Armada/Burban/Expedition. The Sequoia is also significantly more expensive than an Armada. I picked mine up for $37k with 1% financing for 60 months. With every option except the Navi/DVD/Sunroof. A sequoia would have been 10K more with the same options and 6% financing at best.

With a towing capacity of only 6500lbs you might as well get one of the larger mid-size vans out there with AWD and have the same towing capacity and more interior room.

-mike
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    Well, someone has realized how over priced the Sequoia is. Carmax has them with Nav/DVD for about 45k, about 600 under invoice. When that new engine and Nav system came out, you couldn't get one under MSRP. Of course that doesn't make up for the lack of towing capacity or the second row room which is superior in the Armada to anything not a Sub or Excursion. My daughter, who is a tall 2.5 year old can't kick the front seats from her car seat and believe me, she's been trying. To me, that's priceless.
  • rotti92201rotti92201 Posts: 14
    Paison......... Which dealership did buy your Armada from???.. I noticed you said that you live in NYC.
    In Keyport, NJ, I'm in Staten Island.

-mike
  • rshershe Posts: 236
    Your right.. I don't need to tow anything that weighs 10,000 lbs... In regards to the other capabilities, I don't know what you are referring to. I bought this vehicle as I go off road on to soft sand at our beachouse and only true 4WD vehicles are allowed into this area.(of which the Sequoia is more than adequate).. No minivans with AWD are allowed in this area.... Don't get me wrong I love the Armada, but Nissan just sucks on reliability, build quality and customer service.
    Well there you go, at least you have a reason, and for your purposes the sequioa is probably great. As for reliability? Nissan is fairly decent, it's not Toyota, but since my truck was at least $10K less than a comparably equipped Sequoia, $10k goes a long way to repair my car in the event it does break (although that's only after my 100k btob warranty runs out) :) It's a matter of preference, but to say the Sequoia is "superior" in the Armada forum is a bit ridiculous.

-mike
  • khousworthkhousworth Posts: 3
    Mike i agree with you, I just purchased a 05 SE with leather package. I have researched this vehicle and the Toyota for about a month. I know Brake Pros,makes a full kit for $1600.00 that will stop that Armada like a brick wall. I hope that maybe the 05 since it is on the lot in Miss. that it might have the upgrades on brakes. The rattles and squeaks will be taken care of the day it hits here. Nissan does not add sound deadening material to the rear doors and can use extra on the rear floor and the headliner. I will be able to take care of that for $400-600 dollars.
    Mike how much did the 100K mile btob warranty cost you? Did you puchase it from Nissan?
    And the comparable Sequoia is $5,000 to $6,000 more than the Armada.
    We do all of our own maintenance here at our business and I am used to extreme customization of trucks and car stereo installation. I will let warranty handle what it will and I will take care of the rest.
    I rolled it into my payments. Came to about $15/mo extra over 60 months for the Premium Gold + I got the LE so an equivilent Toyota financed at 6.9% would have been at least 10K more.

-mike
  • rshershe Posts: 236
    "$10k goes a long way to repair my car in the event it does break"

There comes a point when this $ difference isn't worth it if your constantly taking it into the shop or if it leaves your stranded. The Sequoia is superior in overall quality and having been in the Armada's, Infinity cousin (QX)I would say the Sequoia is superior in quality to that as well.

What I will give the Armada is

#1-fold flat 3rd row-Toyota really needs to look at that, but can't do anything until a complete redesign as a result of the rear axle.

#2-Sequoia is bland compared to the Mada.

#3-towing if you need the xtra 3000 lbs., but I doubt that most Armada drivers tow anything at all..

In regards to saying the Sequoia is superior to the Armada in this forum, where should I say it? In the Hyundai forum? ;) Like the umpire, I call them as I see em.
    I don't see any difference, as there have been almost no problems with the Titan/Armada other than the brake issues. No blown motors, etc. If we want to talk about Toyota reliability.... we can always bring up the sludge issues that Yoda tried to sweep under the carpet....

"Overall quality is Superior" please quantify this. I mean anyone could say that about anything...

As for towing, well if you aren't towing or offroading, there is absolutely no reason to own a big SUV, a van or mid-van would serve those purposes far better than even the best SUV. So $ for $ I feel the Armada is a better buy.

As for refinement, the Armada having 4-wheel indy suspension will outhandle the Sequioa any day of the week and the ride is significantly better due to this as well. I've also tried to sit in the 3rd row of the sequoia and find it to be a lot smaller with less leggroom than the armada has.

Also anyone who tows knows you can't have "too much towing capacity" essentially you want to tow about 70-75% of the weight that the manufacturer recommends, and you have to subtract any cargo and passengers from the towing capacity....

So take the 6500lbs of the Sequoia....
    Put 5 of your closest friends @ 175/each
    A cooler, some overnight bags etc @ 200lbs
    1100 lbs total.
    6500 - 1100 = 5400lbs towing capacity 75% of that = 4050lbs of towing capacity, which isn't a whole lot of towing.

Same scenario in the Armada.....
    9100 - 1100 = 8000lbs 75% of that = 6000lbs of safe towing capacity....

That's about 33% more than that of the Sequoia. This also translates to how well the vehicle will handle and accelerate when not trailering but loaded down with bodies and gear.

If you bought your truck just for the family of 4.... or to pimp around in, then yeah there is not a big difference between the sequoia and the armada...

But if you bought it to actually use, the capabilities, standard features and VALUE can't be beat on the Armada.

-Mike
  • rotti92201rotti92201 Posts: 14
    Mike thanks for the info.. i am in Brooklyn and trying to get out of Pathfinder lease that ends in August. I have been neg. with some NYC dealers and would like to compare with the Jersey ones... See who will offer me a better deal.

Just out of curiosity why a '04 rather then '05???

christina
    The rebate on the 04's is 3,000 right now, and 1,500 on the 05's .
    1% financing + Rebate :) My e-mail is in my profile if you need to contact me with questions regarding the dealer's performance.

-mike
    Paisan how much did the bumper to bumper warranty cost you for 100K?
  • norbnnorbn Posts: 70
    What kind of defeatist mentallity do you need to purchase the Armada? The kind that needs $10K for upgrades, or $1600 for new brakes on a $30K+ new car? Or $400 worth of sound deadning?!!!! Geez, the whole reason you buy a new car is because you don't have to pay extra to maintain it. So buying an Armada is like buying a new old car???!!!!

Come on Nissan fix the Armada. Almost bought the Land Cruiser but its so dated looking. Still holding out for the real Aramada to show up.
  • kidsddskidsdds Posts: 11
    I had the same problem with the Fuel Gauge from day 1 with my 2004. I kept taking it in saying that there was a problem that I could only get at the most 22 gallons into my tank even if gauge was below E. I was told repeatedly that this was normal. Finally the gauge was stuck the full position for three days before they would even test the thing. They eventually replaced something in the fuel tank and have had no problems since then. I am able to actually "fill up" my tank now with the proper amount of fuel.
  • kidsddskidsdds Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if Nissan comes out with periodic update discs for the Navigation Systems? It appears that the discs are already a few years behind.
    What kind of defeatist mentallity do you need to purchase the Armada? The kind that needs $10K for upgrades, or $1600 for new brakes on a $30K+ new car? Or $400 worth of sound deadning?!!!! Geez, the whole reason you buy a new car is because you don't have to pay extra to maintain it. So buying an Armada is like buying a new old car???!!!!

Come on Nissan fix the Armada. Almost bought the Land Cruiser but its so dated looking. Still holding out for the real Aramada to show up.

No car is ever built perfect every time. So basically if you want a perfect car you will NEVER find it. As for brake issues, they'll get worked out, that's what happens on a 1st year build of a new car. As for "10k in upgrades" I'm not adding anything, i'm saying that you have $10k worth of discount for a superior car in almost all respects, of course you don't get the "Toyota Name" but i'm not into names anyway.

-mike
    I belive cost around 1100 for the Premium Gold + from Nissan.

-mike
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    The Nav maps can be purchased from Zenrin.com at about $185 each.

I originally received v 6.1 with the vehicle, and bought the v 6.3 a few months ago.

I didn't notice a huge amount of changes from v 6.1 to v 6.3, in the area that I drive.

I plan on updating every two or three years, no more often, unless my daily driving routes need to change for some reason.