Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Armada

Comments

• Options
    gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    No one can hear him over the resonance noise!
  • Options
    azfunazfun Member Posts: 8
    rshe and dklanecky, your points are well taken. In negotiating the warranty with the dealer, the perception that you have done your homework on warranties could save you several hundred $.
    If dealer comes close to the after market price, I would take it for the reasons that you have mentioned.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I would not touch the 3rd party warranties. Warranty gold after being recommened on this site and numerous others filed bankruptcy and left 10's of thousands of customers holding the bag. Yeah they might be ok now but what about year 4 or 5 of a 7 year plan. At least you know the carmakers will still be there (unless you bought a daewoo).
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    LOL greg!

-juice
  • Options
    rshershe Member Posts: 236
    I don't know about that, Nissan almost wasn't here a few years back ;). The manufacturers, in most cases, don't self insure their own warranties.. A lot of dealers use a wholesale division of these aftermarket companies for their extended warranties.
  • Options
    shairkhanshairkhan Member Posts: 28
    What is the deal with Warranty Gold? I remember receiving a letter from them a while back regarding unpaid claims (not mine). I never had a claim... we have this for wife's van. Are they still in business and covering the old policies? Anyone knows? Do I need to call them and ask for my money back?

--
    S. A. Khan.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they have discharged all warranties sold prior to 6/03 because of their insurer and reinsurer going bankrupt. In October or november they themselves filed for bankruptcy protection. Check out their topic under Finance/insurance and warranty here on town hall. After you guys read that topic tell me if you still want a 3rd party warranty.
  • Options
    If you financed the warranty itself, stop paying.

-juice
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you financed the warranty itself, stop paying.

If you financed the warranty then you're paid in full and you're now withholding payment from the financing agent.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Yikes, guess so.

-juice
  • Options
    thylantyrthylantyr Member Posts: 28
    The Armada cheap interior topic has been beaten
    to death. The next question is. What can the average
    consumer do to improve the interior and how much do you
    estimate the cost ?

The Armada base price is under $31k 2WD SE,
    if you buy cloth interior but desire leather,
    how much do you think a 3rd party would charge
    to redo your seats?

What about aftermarket chrome or black front/rear
    bumpers with thick steel all around, not 1/2 steel
    1/2 plastic. What 3rd party would most likely
    produce such a product ?

You see modded vehicles all the time, interior
    and exterior. If the Armada price is competitive,
    buy base and 3rd party upgrade - unless it voids
    warranty ?

/hehe
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I don't think the interior is that cheap looking.

Bob
  • Options
    Two rows of leather goes for as little as $900, so for 3 rows, maybe $1200 for starters.

I thought the interior had room for improvement, tolerances were only so-so. Not bad, but not class leading.

One biggie was the door handle was way too high for our kids. She's the tallest 4 year old in her class and likes to open her own door. Things like that make a van a better choice for families.

-juice
  • Options
    You must be coming out of a Chevy then.
  • Options
    tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    Hehe, I like the chevy interior comment. I have no less than three folded pieces of paper stuffed in various spots of the dash of my Silverado stopping squeaks, except the one damn spot that I can slide a magazine through LOL- yes, compared to a lot of vehices the interior may not look cheap, but it sure could use some work- re: leather aftermarket, be sure you check the work of the shop you have do it, you may find that what you get makes the factory leather look like it came out of a Maybach. "hoping for an Armada under my tree"-Tigger
  • Options
    twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    The Interiors are just so boring even compared to my Explorer. The uniformity of the Armada and even the F150 is much more interesting then the plain looking Chevy. I havent looked at a Dodge interior so cant comment on those.
  • Options
    Haha, I had a 95 Ford Taurus that was like a rolling toolbox it rattles so much! I used the little folded pieces of paper also, hehe. Towards the end there wasn't enough notebooks on earth!
  • Options
    popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 50
    Interesting comment about the Taurus, but what does it have to do with the Armada? I think we all agree that nobody agrees on the quality of the interior. Can we leave it alone? Go see one and judge for yourself. gkatz...how can we miss you if you won't go away?
  • Options
    blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Popinjay, was that comment really necessary on Christmas eve? Come on.
  • Options
    It's OK, I realize that negative observations are not often welcome, especially when someone is contemplating or justifying their purchase. And, I certainly didn't want to offend or send anyone into a hissy fit. The bottom line for me is that Nissan is now simply the equivelent of a domestic as it relates to interiors, not surpassing them as they once did. Long-time Nissan owners, like myself, aren't happy about this. Granted, many don't even hear rattles and squeaks, or simply don't care. Those who frequent other forums will realize the extent of this, just read up on the new Quest.
  • Options
    zrap17zrap17 Member Posts: 5
    jomi - seems like we are both destined to wait for our new LE 4X4. Dealer is giving me the typical "union truck deliveries and working around Christmas" excuse. This experience has been very typical - excuses, no delivery, not following through on commitments, etc. I can easily back out if I want, and may do so depending on if the car actually arrives tomorrow. I have a locked price on my trade-in 2001 Yukon XL Denali, and it is actually above what edmunds shows as "private party" price, so I am okay to wait this one out. I actually did call around to see if I could find another Smoke LE 4X4 with factory DVD and Technology Package/Navigation, and I cannot find one anywhere, so I will play this one out a bit.

I keep expecting that my next car buying experience will be one where I actually have an honest and dedicated dealership with integrity - none so far, and Nissan is no exception I see. Based on what I am reading about dealer/Nissan responsiveness to issues, I am not feeling any better.

I am getting a "dealer cost" quote on a 7 year, 100K warranty due to the other delays, I will let you know what they come up with.

Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    drich2drich2 Member Posts: 17
    received a weathertech cargo mat for behind the second row seat. It fits perfectly and looks good-as far as cargo mats go.

Since the interior, resonance, and questionable service from some dealers have been sliced, diced,
    and shake and baked, why not move on to some other
    more positive topics about the armada.

Actually, I love mine, good experience everywhere, and I am ok with the interior even after coming out of a lexus sedan. Wish it had a few things it doesn't like a tape player, some backlighted buttons and a few other things, but really it is not big deal.

I did have someone follow me in my pfa around about a week ago ( for about 10 minutes) I thought they were kind of weird, but once we got close enought to talk she was excited about finding out what this vehicle was I was driving. She said she had to have one ( she was in a Tahoe)

Hope every one has a blessed holiday and new year
  • Options
    gmarga56gmarga56 Member Posts: 17
    I guess Santa didnt find me that good of a boy to leave me an Armada in the driveway this year. So now I can pose my question....Does anybody know what the PFA will lease for either in a 36 or 48 mo trem? I know with residuals and with time this can change, but I was wondering if anybody priced leases before they bought. I would love to buy, but it seems the almighty dollar might force me to lease. Coming out of an 01' Pathfinder which i love re. the power and engineering but it is a bit small with 2 car seats, double stroller etc. Kudos to drich2 on posting that everybody move on re. the interior etc. I think it's been beat to death too. Hope everyone had a good holiday and hey - did santa leave anyone a new Armada this year????
  • Options
    fremar1fremar1 Member Posts: 6
    Santa said mine was built two weeks ago (true story) but it would not fit on his sleigh and he can't figure out how or when it will be delivered to the dealer. The dealer doesn't know any more than Santa. I still believe in Santa and I still believe there really is an Armada. I hope I'm not wrong. Maybe Nissan needs more elves. Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    jomijomi Member Posts: 20
    zrap17, good luck on getting your LE delivered. It sounds like these unfulfilled promises are becoming more common with the dealers. I'm going back to my dealer today to tell him point blank to get my vehicle within two weeks or I want my deposit back and will wait another year or two to make this purchase. I did fine another dealer in the area with a smoke LE outfitted with the Tech pkg and DVD player but he won't match the deal I already have. He said the demand is too great to heavily discount the PFA's. I'll try them one more time today and if they won't deal I tell my current dealer to get their trade manager working on getting the vehicle on their lot.
  • Options
    does anyone know if all armadas are prewired for satellite radio? I got mine early, before they gave you the option and just wondered if there is a way to get the radio added on. I would be more interested in one that I could take out if I trade the vehicle. Seems like I remember someone making a post about a Infinity kit, but I did not search for it.

If anyone has a suggestion or if Bowke is still around could you let me know about the prewiring or the best way to go and an idea as to cost

Thanks
  • Options
    http://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com/en_US/

Here is the link again for. These are the same as the factory kit and per the person I talked to, they even integrate with the navigation.
  • Options
    rshe, you the man! thanks
  • Options
    cnikkcnikk Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I just picked up my Smoke 2004 Armada LE with Tech from the dealership on Wed. This thing is amazing. By far the best SUV i have ever owned. The interior seems to have alot of plastic, but i am sure the QX56 will have the upgraded interior. Anyone knows where i can look for some accessories? Thanks in advance.
    cnikk
  • Options
    A strange turn of events these past few days. After my LE was not delivered this past week I called a few other dealers and found another LE with the tech pkg and DVD (in smoke - not my 1st choice). I went to see it and try to strike a deal. I told them my current deal and said they would have to match it. In the end they said they couldn't come close to my current deal. I didn't want to pay more ($2000 more) for a color choice I really didn't like so I walked away.

I decided to go to my original dealer and look at an LE they had in Galaxy with the Sand interior. I was surprised by a few things. First, that they even had the vehicle (with Tech pkg and DVD). I was skeptical and thought they might be playing games with me. I was even more surprised to see the vehicle had a sold sign with my name on it. They had done that to reserve the vehicle so they could trade it for the color choice I wanted (Silver). Between this and the pricing I got, I felt bad about doubting this dealer. I then surprised myself by liking the Galaxy better after comparing it to the Silver and even more surprising I liked it with the Sand interior. Considering I almost threw-up the first time I saw the Sand interior, this was a complete change in my opinion (I also had my wife along to get her view).

The bottom line is they are prepping the vehicle and I will be able to pick it up on Monday morning. I have the vehicle I wanted with all the features I wanted and I do like the Galaxy better than any other color - I just have to wash it alot.
  • Options
    shamahlshamahl Member Posts: 13
    For those of you that have it, are you able to play it through the sound sys.? I read somewhere that you could if you didn't want to use the headphones. The Nissan web site doesn't state it but the Infiniti does for the QX56.
  • Options
    dodger22dodger22 Member Posts: 9
    Yes. That is one of the awesome features of the DVD. My kids use it through the sound system more than with the headphones, plus there's nothing like driving through commute traffic with the Lord of the Rings DVD playing for Dad....just press the Mode button on the steering wheel...Does anyone know how to make the DVD player under the front passenger seat (Navigation DVD) play regular DVD's?? Thanks.......4000 miles on my Smoke 4x4 LE and still rolling!
  • Options
    The only way would be to completely replace the unit, I am told.. It is a NAV DVD only.
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    to have "visible" video monitor panels to drivers in vehicles. The law was revised recently in CA from "TV" to "Video Monitors". The new law takes effect on 1/1/2004. On that topic, the GPS are excluded since they are considered as part of the dash instrumentation. Just FYI.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "As more and more motorists get in-dash DVD players, the state gears up to try driver Erwin “Jamie” Petterson Jr. for murder in a fatal wreck. Among other things, he is charged with watching a movie while driving."

Anchorage Press

Food for thought...

Steve, Host
  • Options
    digginpfadigginpfa Member Posts: 1
    Actually, Santa delivered my Armada a couple weeks ago. Thanks to all on this board who have been posting. I have been following the board for the past couple months to help make my decision on the armada.

Got a galaxy 4x2 with sand interior for $1000 over invoice. Since we drive cars til they die (traded a 98 Tahoe with 140K for armada and still own a 95 maxima with 198K), I sprung for the extended warranty 7 yrs/100K - paid about $1600 for it. Could've done better on that but I'm dealing with a dealer that I do business with and want some goodwill.

No resonance issues on mine - though I test drove a 4x4 WITH sunroof that had terrible resonance - I wished my salesperson luck in selling that one. Hubby didn't like the pfa at all going in - maybe also because he was inheriting the Maxima:). It has definitely won him over - he loves driving it - and the black really is sharp! Kids love it - we're a tall family and it has tons of room! Can't wait to take it on a trip!

Hope I continue to love it as much as I loved life without any car payments!
  • Options
    twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    I took another PFA for a test drive saturday. Road very well but didnt have the opportunity to test at highway speeds. It was a base Galaxy Se 4x4. Acceleration and handling was very good from 0-50 shifted smoothly. Although the throttle is a bit sensitive but it would just take some getting used to. As well as getting used to where the buttons and other controls are located. I like the newer RDS which I had on my Explorer but it only displayed the station name. This one displays the station name number and the song that is playing very nice feature. I also got to sit in a King Cab Titan. It doe not have as much room in the front as an Armada. This one didnt have running boards and step in was a bit difficult for my wife. But still a nice truck.
  • Options
    pmtrepmtre Member Posts: 55
    Hello Everyone!
    My first post, have been following the discussions for two weeks. Very helpful info.

Picking up a new canteen colored LE with sunroof package, in Westboro, MA. today!
    Paid $100.00 over invoice,$60.00 for dealer installed wheels locks, $160.00 for the dealer to locate and pick up 90 miles away. $165.00 dealer prep, No trade in. MSRP 43,100 /Contract price $39452.00 plus TTR.
     My question is during yesterday's test drive I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel at 60+ mph the pfa has 18" goodyear wranglers, I expected a much smoother ride, the dealer said they hadn't prepped anything and would check it out today. Has anyone else experienced that issue?
    I currently own a 2002 Durango with GY Wrangler off road tires which are very quiet and smooth on the highway.
  • Options
    thylantyrthylantyr Member Posts: 28
    Start with the basics. Tires balanced correctly?
    Have them double check.
  • Options
    Yesterday. Only drove 25 miles the first day but so far it's impressive. It took a few trys to get the DVD player working (I had to look at the manual) and I spent some time last night reading through the Navigation manual. It is a more complex system than my last car and I don't think I could have used it without reading most of the manual.

The dealer offered an extended warranty, but in a very low key way. He offered a 6 year, 100,000 mile program for $1600 (list of $2400). It seemed better than some of the on-line programs I looked at because it covers the DVD player and the navigation system (excluded from all the after market programs I looked at). I'm still not sure if I'll go for it or not.

My LE is in Galaxy with the sand interior and it looks sharp.
  • Options
    dg1616dg1616 Member Posts: 10
    After much research- finally closed on a galaxy SE 4X4 with the basics. Sticker 37,120, invoice was 33,741, paid 33,591 tax and tags. In keeping up with the communication here, I feel I did OK. Will pick up tomorrow - FYI - located in NJ
  • Options
    peter_in_atlpeter_in_atl Member Posts: 42
    You paid $150 UNDER invoice and you feel you did "OK"? Something's not right.
  • Options
    I hear what your saying, especially with all the other deals being shared. Nonetheless, I picked it up this morning. Everything is legit. Had a couple delears really going at it. End of the year, competitive market... Anyway, the vehicle had 28 miles on it. Now the trade was a bit trickier as I was unloading a 1995 quest with over 100K. They offered me 850 more then any other dealer, so the deal was made. So far so good. If anyone wants details, let me know. To be honest, I honestly believe there was another buck or two to be saved, but overall pleased with the process.
  • Options
    rccdrccd Member Posts: 1
    The manuel says "mineral oil recommended", can I use Mobil 1 ?
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    careful, or i will send you over to the "inconsiderate buyers" board. you are $150 under invoice, got $850 more for your trade than other dealers offered.

"...To be honest, I honestly believe there was another buck or two to be saved..."

if i offered you the deal they did, and you kept grinding, i would show you the door...and even write directions to the other dealer.
  • Options
    knockoffknockoff Member Posts: 72
    Where is this dealer and do you think they would deal after the new year?
  • Options
    I hear what your saying, especially with all the other deals being shared. Nonetheless, I picked it up this morning. Everything is legit. Had a couple delears really going at it. End of the year, competitive market... Anyway, the vehicle had 28 miles on it. Now the trade was a bit trickier as I was unloading a 1995 quest with over 100K. They offered me 850 more then any other dealer, so the deal was made. So far so good. If anyone wants details, let me know. To be honest, I honestly believe there was another buck or two to be saved, but overall pleased with the process.
  • Options
    slow down b-28. Please don't confuse inconsiderate with informed. When galves lists the trade at X and even the best offer is 6-700 below that, I have every right to "work". No one twisted anyone's arms to make a deal. They did well, so did I. All happy. happy new year.
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Besides not "looking" or "feeling" as good as leather, does the vinyl also tear easier or something?
    I know the difference between real wood trim and synthetic wood trim; real wood looks better, but synthetic lasts longer.
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    what vinyl?