Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Si/SiR Maintenance and Repair

moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
edited April 26 in Honda
Items to be aware of on 2002 Civic Si. Based on my actual experience.
1. High oil usage. 1 quart in first 2300 miles.
2. CEL due to fuel system leakage.
3. Radio defects/failure. On long trips the radio will cease to function.
4. Tire/Suspension issues- currently being diagnosed. The symptom is vibration at highway speeds.

Comments

• gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    And the car has been out 10 months or so?
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    your kind of on your high horse now. You probably know this discussion was opened only two weeks ago, not 10 months ago. Also, it was openned by the host of the Civic SiR board because there were a number posts there regarding 02 Si problems. It is just hard to find these when you have to look through 1400+ posts.

I am not saying the 02 is a defect riddled car, but there have been posts about oil consumption, vibrations, paint problems, peeling dash materials... to mention some.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Thank you so much for your helpfulness in solving my Si problems. I can only assume you are trying to be funny or sarcastic instead of helping.

For others who have a genuine interest.

Parts were replaced in fuel system.

Radio was replaced.

Oil usage is being monitored.

The front wheels were rebalanced, I will see if the vibration reappears.

Gee35- If you think there are no problems on the Si then you need some of the other boards and even the tests in magazine articles. Oil usage, radio defects, paint problems, tire/wheel/suspension vibration, CEL, EPS, and fit and finish issues.

• I thought we got here from trying to compare Honda reliability with that of other makes. On that (beside the point here), my take is that Honda tends to be stronger but can still produce an individual problem car. I think it's a bummer that you got one of 'em, Mopar.

Since I'm gonna buy an SI anyhow, I'd like to know how you feel about how Honda has attempted to fix your probs. Have they been responsive or hard to deal with? Give you the 'customer service' shuffle, or engage with and effectively resolve probs?
  • hamproofhamproof Posts: 241
    Man, I've never had any car making so much noise as the Si is.

I can't blame it solely on the cold weather anymore like someone suggested. It wasn't bone chilling cold this weekend. Around 40F or so. But the car is developing some weird noise from the right and left side of the car. It used to be only the left side. I think it is coming from the engine compartment. I looked in it but I can't find anything loose in there. Even the rod to hold up the hood is secure.

It is also hard to describe the noise but it comes on when I'm going at highway speed. Like I said, it is worse now since both side are developing that sound. It doesn't sound like tire noise nor wind sound. I've made sure I've nothing loose in the car but the sound doesn't seem to be emanating from the cabin. Definitely outside noise.

If I turn on the radio, I can't hear it anymore but when the radio is off, it is almost as clear as day to me though my gf. often says what noise??

I guess there's only 1 perfect Si in US that runs as smooth as glass and we all know who owns it. Bummer for the rest of us.

On the plus side, I'm getting better gas mileage going from 91 to 87. In my A4, I have to use 93 or 91 at min. So, it was a habit to automatically put in 93 or 91 though I've read conflicting reports that you should never use higher rated octane than what is recommended. I don't believe the Si is a car that will actually adapt to higher octane. In my last fillup, I was seeing 28MPG compared to 23 or so just the week before.
    The Honda dealership has provided an excellent service experience in all respects.
    Cross my fingers I hope that all the initial issues are resolved. Other owners have reported that oil consumption is an issue that will disappear as more miles are put on the car.
  • sigirlsigirl Posts: 13
    all hondas and acuras eat oil especially if you dont break it in right the first few thousand miles
    What is the break-in period of my Honda?
    Help assure your vehicle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles (1,000 kilometers). During this period:

Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
    Avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be broken in by moderate use for the first 200 miles (300 km).

I followed the above and my Si is using oil. It will not be using oil after 10,000 miles according to the experience of others. Even when car had 140,000 plus miles my previous Accord never used any oil.

Break in oil- according to Honda- Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?
    Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
    American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions
  • I've never heard of Honda and Acuras eating oil. You almost never see a old Honda/Acura blowing any blue smoke. It may have been a different case back in the early 80's but since 86 it hasn't been.

Last time I checked my oil (7000 miles) I had not used any oil since the 3000 mile mark. I am going to get it changed within the next couple of days and hopefully I saw the last of the oil burning at the 3000 mile mark.
    I've never heard of Honda and Acuras eating oil

You just heard moparbad saying his 02 Si is consuming oil. So, there you have it. You heard it.

On the other hand, I'm at 1000miles, and my oil level remained the same. Hopefully it will as the miles rakes up.
  • The RSX, SI, and S2000 have had reports of consuming oil during the first few thousand miles but to say that all honda/acura products eat oil is a little bit of an exaggeration.
  • My Si does run "smooth as glass" (~4500 miles), that said, I don't think there is any point in having people disputing other people's problems. ie "I've never heard of Honda and Acuras eating oil."
  • Well I haven't. And there aren't alot of complaints on Edmunds about Hondas using an abnormal amount of oil except during the first few thousand miles of RSX, SI, or S2000 ownership.
  • But if people are saying that it happens to their car, what difference does it make what you have and haven't heard of?
  • The difference is that the person who said that Honda/Acuras eat oil hasn't owned enough Honda/Acuras to make that judgement. I don't see anyone else complaining of oil "eating". And if it does eat oil during the first 10,000 miles and you know it's using oil then check your oil.
    quote-The difference is that the person who said that Honda/Acuras eat oil hasn't owned enough Honda/Acuras to make that judgement.-end

The same person that made the above statement has no problem making negative judgements about Ford, GM, VW and other makes they have not "owned enough to make a judgement about".

I've had some problems with my Si. Other owners of Si or Honda telling me their car did not have a problem did not persuade my Si to fix itself and was not helpful in any way. Please step off the pulpit and realize that Honda is a car and not a religion. Try offering a solution instead of criticism.
  • between someone saying all Honda/Acuras eat oil vs. saying VW, Ford, and GM tend to have above average occurences of problems in general. Other than the SI, RSX, and S2000's early oil consumption (which by almost all accounts ends after you put some mileage on the car) you will not read of any excessive or abnormal oil consumption on a well-maintained, or even OK-maintained Honda/Acura engine. Whereas, if you do a search for VW, Ford, and GM problems pages upon pages will come back with websites devoted to hating the company and their cars.

As far as me not having experience with VW, GM, and Ford .. I haven't owned them but I do work for a VERY high-volume used car dealer and see all kinds of cars go through both in service and sales. And our one GM product was the nightmare that it was made to be. Got rid of that 2000 Silverado after 10 months and 7,000 miles. Lost about $6,500 in the process but boy was it worth it to get out of that gas-guzzing heap of pretty metal. Got a 94 LS400 instead. Had 113,000 miles when we bought it and has been flawless.

Long story short ... you don't need personal experience with a Ford, GM, or VW to know that they are subpar. The facts are right there for us to read. Facts also show that under normal circumstances your Honda (Passports not included) will be more reliable than the above-mentioned brands.
  • "all hondas and acuras eat oil especially if you dont break it in right the first few thousand miles" isn't about a specific car, problem, or owner; it's about 'all' Hondas. It's neither a true statement in my personal experience nor consistent with 'lore'. My '99 Si, broken in fairly carefully for 600 miles and driven hard sometime everyday thereafter, never used more than 1/2 a quart between changes.
    FWIW, I think general statements about a make or model can be valid and still not apply to every single car sold. I.e., Honda's have a rep for reliability and value retention that seems true over all, whether or not Ham and Mopar are having probs. That doesn't make those probs any the less probs, any more than the probs make the rep any the less true. (I suspect the rep makes the probs less acceptable - to the owners as well as the dealers, who, reports have it, have been very responsive in resolving the probs.)
    Personally, I'm glad to know the 2 liter engine is 'atypical' in using oil during break-in. It won't bum me out if that's my experience, and I know to check more carefully.
  • I felt the same way. I saw some people were reporting oil consumption so I knew to keep a closer eye on my oil than I normally do and I was especially obedient to the break-in procedures. The owner's manual says to check your oil between fill-ups anyways although I admit I check my oil now about once a month since I have 8,000 miles and haven't used oil since the 3,000 mile mark.

It somes some people disagree to disagree. Maybe that's just the affect I have on people. :-)
    The same person that made the above statement has no problem making negative judgements about Ford, GM, VW and other makes they have not "owned enough to make a judgement about".

I like this statement. A lot! LOL.

Btw, anony, no one said ALL Honda/Acura ate oil.

Anony said:
    Got rid of that 2000 Silverado after 10 months and 7,000 miles. Lost about $6,500 in the process but boy was it worth it to get out of that gas-guzzing heap of pretty metal.</>

Hmm, let's see. Buy a brand new truck which has the highest profit margin for the big 3 and keep it for 10 months and you just lost $6,500. I think you did pretty good. Someone else would have lost at least $10k. No wonder you and gee35 can afford to buy/lease 2 news cars (average) every year.

Anony also said:
    Whereas, if you do a search for VW, Ford, and GM problems pages upon pages will come back with websites devoted to hating the company and their cars.

So, you are saying if I do a search on google now, I'll never find a single website with complains about Honda and Acura?? I'm sure you'll say there aren't as many websites for Honda/Acura compared to the rest of the car makers.

Face it. You may follow Honda like a cult. We don't.
  • Look at post #9: "all hondas and acuras eat oil especially if you dont break it in right the first few thousand miles"
  • If someone said that all hondas ate oil than you should argue with them, I didn't notice that. Mine hasn't eaten any.
  • 'Tain't no biggie.
    'Twas said.
    'Twas argued.
    Arguer was argued with for arguing.
    Still 'tain't true.
    Might be true that the 2 liter uses oil during break-in. I haven't been skeered enough (or I'm too skeered) to check at 225 miles on the odo; so I dunno about mine.
  • Thanks river. It's funny that hammie will disect every word in my posts and skip over someone else's. :)

And no .. I wasn't saying you won't find Honda/Acura problems if you do a google search but there will be no where near the number of results vs. doing the same for the above mentioned manufacturers.

BTW: Can you believe a MILLIONAIRE won that $315 MILLION dollars? Talk about luck. And I'm happy when I get a free chic-fil-a sandwich.
  • Had a good visit with my tire guy today. His input about 16's or 17's with more aggressive (lower sidewall) tires was, "Don't do it." The upside is tighter handling. The downside is more tire failures; the tire gets pinched against the rim more often with bad potholes.
  • redsirredsir Posts: 34
    I think this oil consumption issue is out of proportion. Having owned six Civics from 1978 to 2002, oil usage is minimal. have always followed the break in and change intervals.

1978 Hatch......180k Km none
    1979 Wagon......180k Km none
    1984 Si Hatch...160k Km none
    1997 4drEX......110k Km none
    2001 2DrLX......48k Km 1/2 litre on break in only
    2002 SIR Hatch...4500 Km 3/4 litre on break in. None since.

Others were Datsun,MGB,Suzuki,Toyota Volkswagen and unfortunately a Plymouth. Only the MGB and Plymouth needed weekly top ups.

If you are thinking of buying, oil usage is not some to worry about.
  • I believe we've got it!
    Notice the contention level dropping already?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    ....seems to be a huge drift forming here. There have been a few posts removed as they are off topic. Please remember that this topic is for owners to discuss Honda Civic Si/SiR problems and offer helpful/supportive solutions.

Thanks for your cooperation.

KarenS/Host

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• redsirredsir Posts: 34
    Fuel economy to date remains below expectations. Best I can get is 400 km on a tank with a 40 litre refill. 10 litres/100 km is a long way from the 7 to 9 specs.

Tire vibrations experienced when new have not gone away completely. Also I have noticed they can flatspot overnight.

I had the dealer balance them yesterday with little or no effect. I will be going back again.

Perhaps the tires and fuel economy are related?
  • I have the factory Michelins and a few weeks ago on a trip to SC I averaged 33MPG. Average speed was anywhere from 80-85MPH with some 90MPH bursts. I do notice that the tires do not like it when it's cold and you first start moving. Mine usually smooth out after the first 10 miles or so.
This discussion has been closed.