Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• rolo77rolo77 Posts: 31
    Military overseas just priced with the dealer the Magnum 07

are you ready for this the road and track package

performance group msrp 3192.00 and will be available

after OCT 1st, so I ran back to the Lincoln side of

the house and put a down payment on the MKZ 07

the price of the magnum was worth it but only 1700.00

MSRP, the Great warranty at Lincoln was just to hard to

pass up and they gave me 3450.00 off MSRP, but boy

I wanted to hear this magnum cat purr!!

See my post in Lincoln for the new MKZ colors for 07

Chief
  • Let me beg you ... don't buy the dodge magnum ... I bought a 2005 brand new june 30th and it's been in the shop 11 days since ... it rattles, vibrates, generally a big expensive piece of crap and chrysler won't help ... this is the 3rd chrysler product purchased in less than a year totalling $80,000 in sticker values... wouldn't you think I'd be a good customer? Wrong -- Chrysler doesn't care and won't help me ... oh, forgot to add -- does OK on gas mileage... however, poor quality, poor customer service, poor dealer support ... what else can you ask for?

jeff
  • Oh, let me say, I'll never buy another dodge or chrysler product after my nightmare with my brand new 2005 dodge magnum. this is the 3rd brand new chrysler product in less than a year, stickers totalling $80,000, so I thought I would be a good customer? NOPE! They don't care! The dodge magnum is the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned and unable to get the rattles, vibrations, noises out of it. Just a poorly made car ... let me beg you -- don't buy one of these! You'll be sorry --- bad quality, bad (or no) customer support -- would I come back? I think Not!

jeff
  • Do you know why there are no more than 3 magnums driving around your area? Cause people don't want them. They are a poorly made, poorly designed big piece of crap car ... if you havent bought, stop, stop and dont buy ... save your headaches, money and time and buy something else ... you'll be sorry if you buy one of these monstrosities...
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Posts: 42
    I too had a rocky start with my Magnum R/T AWD. The car was in the shop 14 times in 5 months (see my earlier postings). However, the car has settled down now and hasn't had any problems for 3 whole months!

There are plenty of reasons to buy a Magnum: it's a hoot to drive. It's one of the the coolest looking cars on the road today - I've had many people come up to me to admire and enquire about the car (that never happened with all the Saabs and Volvos I've owned). The price is awesome compared to all other high performance wagons out there (i.e. Saab 9-5 Aero or Volvo V70R at $48,000). The Hemi sounds great with a CAI. It's very roomy and comfortable and has a lot of trunk space. Its got great safety ratings (important to an ex-Saab/Volvo owner). The Magnum performs extremely well with AWD and four Continental snow tires in the severe winter weather conditions of Upstate NY and Vermont. It's a hoot to drive (did I say that already?). The local Dodge dealer here in Rochester, NY has been good about servicing the numerous problems at the start. As this is my first American car ever, I did purchase a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty out to 7 years or 100K miles to be safe (I drive 20K miles a year).

To sum it up, I love my Magnum. I was disappointed with the quality and reliability for the first 4-5 months, but the local Dodge dealer was good about fixing the issues. It seems to be doing well since then and I've got my fingers crossed. The only real downer is the gas mileage at $3.15 per gallon. I get at most 16mpg around town and 19-20mpg on the highway at 75mph.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I respectfully disagree. I bought my 2005 Magnum RT in October of 2004. The only significant issue I have had with it was the crappy Continental tires that came standard on it and only lasted 16000 miles. The car drives great, is solid and quiet as a bank vault, hauls our stuff, goes like a bat out of you know where yet still can get 25MPG on the highway, and is so distinctive on the road. There is nothing out there that can compare with the Magnum RT's value, practicality, and performance for anywhere within $20,000 of the price. I am sorry that you got a lemon, because my experience with this car has been superb. If mine was stolen tomorrow I would be getting another one just like it ASAP.
  • peterskmpeterskm Posts: 79
    A little background would be nice.
  • edvmedvm Posts: 2
    My 2005 Magnum (3.5L) 60K miles. Had car alignment checked - ok, tires changed twice ($750), balanced. I even had both front bearing replaced (at $280 each..ouch!). Still I experience a noticable VIBRATION in the steering wheel, floor, dash and seat. It becomes more noticable from 40 MPH and up. It is getting more noticable in the last 2K miles. Cannot figure if it is a harmonic problem (transmission -rear wheel drive). Feels like bad bearings (but both are now brand new). Note: when my mechanic ordered them they were on back order nation wide. Are others needing new ones this soon? I begin to wonder if the bearing design is flawed. The front bearing use a roller bearing on the inside and a ball bearing (like bycicle bearings) on the outer. Any one else experience the same problem? It's extremely frustrating feeling the constant vibration. Any solutions?

Edvm
  • I am having this EXACT same problem, AND along with my ESP/BAS lights are on. I purchased my 2006 Magnum RT about a month ago with 18k miles. Started noticing the bad vibration - only way I can describe is like when you're on the highway and you get too close to the side and the grooves in the road make your car vibrate. That's what my Magnum does and it almost seems as if it is having a hard time switching gears. Like yours, the problem has progressively become worse - especially in the last few weeks of holiday driving. I'm dreading taking my car to the dealership so bad I'm just about in tears. I dread the whole, "We've fixed this and we've fixed that, but can't seem to remedy your problem. We'll just have to keep it another 2 weeks and figure it out." I plan on researching it some more online, but if you could, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep me updated on your progress and if/how your Magnum gets fixed. Thanks and good luck!
  • Water the in transmission caused my 2005 RT to shudder at 40 mph. I have been following this thread for quite a while and want to share my own experiences with everyone. I ran through standing water in Mentor Ohio and the shuddering started immediately. The dealer there knew nothing and said I had water in a spark plug well. This was not the problem (no way, Jose) and the shuddering continued. After I returned to Illinois the problem was gone until I hit more standing water a few months later. Again the shuddering started almost immediately but this time it did not go away. The dealer in Libertyville didn’t know about the TSB until I brought it to his attention (the problem is the leaky 0-ring and affects certain 2005 RT’s). The dealer then said he couldn’t reproduce the problem and gave me the run around. Thoroughly ticked off and thinking I would never get any satisfaction I took the car to Gurnee Dodge. Their tech, Colin, took the car for a drive with me as passenger and made it flunk half a dozen tests. The car made noises I hadn’t heard before. I have rebuilt transmissions and as far as I am concerned he is one of the very best: he advises other dealerships and provides input to the engineering department at the factory. Daimler Benz refused to exchange the transmission (our first option) so we performed the TSB: fluid change, filters and new seal at the dipstick tube. This didn’t work because water-contaminated fluid remained in the torque converter. Colin then replaced the converter and went through the transmission, replacing the pump seal only. He told me that the Mercedes transmission has an excellent reputation and the clutch in the torque converter is what chatters and causes the shuddering. I was concerned that he didn’t replace all of the clutches in the transmission as well because I thought contaminated fluid would get into all of the clutch linings. After the repairs there was slight shuddering on the 4th-5th gear change. I trust Colin’s judgment so I kept on driving the car. A week later it is as good as the day I bought it. A few days ago it rained hard again and I was hydroplaning across the puddles. Still no problems. My Magnum is still perfect! I hope this account helps anyone else that may have had or is still having the same problem.
  • Have you folks who have this vibration problem had your rotors checked for warpage? I have an '01 Grand Caravan ES and replaced the rotors (3rd time with 173K on van) with Bosch brand 5 yr warrantied rotors and less than two weeks later, there was about 10" of standing water after a downpour that I had no choice but to negotiate. Rotors were warped on my next stop attempt and vibration suddenly returned. Just an idea that a decent brake shop can verify. Next set of rotors after these Bosch brand are out of warranty will be cross-drilled high performance. Good luck.
  • Stay away from cross-drilled rotors. Cross-drilling rotors actually weakens them and could cause them to crack. A better option is slotted rotors. If you want them for cosmetics, you can get dimpled rotors which give you the cross-drilled look without compromising the rotors' strength.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Stay away from cross-drilled rotors. Cross-drilling rotors actually weakens them and could cause them to crack."

That used to be the case with rotors with poorly planned and/executed drillings. With CAD designed drilling layouts and proper quality control that are used on quality rotors (PowerStop, Brembo and others) weakend and cracked rotors are very much a thing of the past.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Picked up my 2006 Magnum R/T AWD 3 weeks ago. Ten days later we were hit with 20" of snow (where else but Buffalo NY). The car handled extremely well, plowed thru with no problem. My main concern was possible damage driving over downed tree limbs but no damage, yeah...
    Initial thoughts on the Magnum:
    - Love the hemi (thought I was done with my 2nd childhood)
    - Gas mileage...if I wanted better gas mileage I would have bought a different car. But then again, ask me if and when gasoline reaches $5.00/gal
    - 2 continental tires had to be replaced by the dealer (slipped belts). Tracking tire concerns thru this forum.
    - Stalk controls for wipers,speed control were confusing at first
    - Plenty of room for passangers and cargo.
    All in all extremely pleased with car. This is the 1st American made (well, actually Canadian) car I've bought in over 20 years. Will be interesting to see how well it holds up, even with the extended warranty.
  • Picked up my '05 AWD RT off the lot in Aug. of 2005 and put 23K miles on it since then and have enjoyed every mile. The only repair items have been replacing the parking brake release handle the week I purchased it and having the leaky transmission O-ring fix done at 19K (had the repair done when I dropped it off for an oil change, no big deal ...).
    No problems with pull, "crowning" or uneven tire wear (although I do run 5-7 lb more pressure than the sticker).

Drives & handles great on everything from interstates to gravel back roads in the WV mountains. Love the power and sure-footed feel. For comparison, it has a turning radius smaller than that of my old PT Cruiser GT turbo, and stops shorter from 60 mph by a couple of feet even though it weighs 1000 lb more!

Although not equipped with the tow package's self leveling shocks, I have had absolutely no problem with towing trailers up to 3400 lb total weight with tongue weights up to 290 lb (using a HiddenHitch hitch, not the Mopar "invisible" hitch). AWD plus 4 wheel disc ABS is a real plus there.

People talk about the "bare" interior, but I prefer an unpretentious, functional, interior to one dolled up with fake wood, "leatherette", and fake chrome. Hands down, this is the preferred vehicle for long family road trips.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    Well, your post scared me off enough that I went for a Saab 9-5 wagon to avoid the problems you spoke of. The Magnum SXT was in serious contention -- I love the storage space and the comfort. I'm a previous Saab owner and while I hate the lack of utility up front (poor cubby/pocket/cupholder space), it's otherwise got plenty of room, is equally distinctive in looks, and with 260 hp and a powerful turbo, it hauls you know what! Hope you were right. The one thing Dodge (and the Jeep I traded) have is very thoughtfully designed storage space and nice quiet rides. I miss my Jeep center console! (On the other hand, I now get killer mileage (20/28)...
    For the price of a Saab 9-5 you should have looked at the Magnum R/T AWD. The SXT is not a fair comparison.

After owning a Saab 9-5 Aero wagon for 6 years I went for a 2005 Magnum R/T AWD. I was very disappointed with the quality and reliability of the Saab over the 6 years I owned it. It was my third Saab, but the first one to not measure up on quality. The Saab Aero handled better, but was hobbled by front wheel drive. You need AWD with that kind of power. The Magnum offers more leg room than the Saab both front and back - my two boys and I are all well over 6 feet tall.

Saab's engine doesn't even come close to the 5.7L hemi with an after market AFE cold air intake - 350hp and zero to sixty in around 5.7 seconds!

The Magnum R/T with AWD and 4 high-speed rated Continental snow tires handled last winter in Upstate New York and Vermont as well as any Saab I've owned, in spite of it weighing 500lb more than the 9-5.

(I also considered the Volvo V70R, but it was $18,000 more than the Magnum and had NO room in the front seats.)
  • I'll be in the market for a wagon type vehicle come the end of April 2007, and I'm currently considering a used Dodge Magnum to replace my leased 04 Honda Oddysey to haul the wife and kids around in. I'll be looking at around $14k at that time, so the AWD and RT models are out of the questions.

I live in Wisconsin, so I'm concerned about how the RWD Magnum handles in the snow! Anyone have any experience to share on this subject?

Also, I'm heard a few complaints regarding the reliability of the 2.7 engine... should I only look at Magnums with the 3.5 then?

Thanks!
    Having lived in snowy climes all my life I would NOT recommend buying a RWD car, especially one as big and heavy as a Magnum. Go AWD if you can, otherwise stick with FWD. Safety first when hauling the family. (I have a good friend in Spokane whose whole family survived a roll-over accident in their Honda Odyssey after his wife fell asleep at the wheel!)
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    To bbfd86, yeah I know Saabs have issues. It's actually really odd that I returned to Saab since I had a sort of love/hate thing with my previous one, an 02 arc wagon. And I agree this newer one has some very apparent build quality issues in terms of interior materials and the odd rattles. I actually test drove both an SXT and an R/T Magnum. I found 340 hp on the R/T to be an insane amount of power to drive my son to school or hit the local starbucks. But otherwise, I did love the comfort of the cabin, the seats, etc. Didn't love the cargo area -- just so cramped. But ultimately, I just don't trust Dodge/Chrysler. Maybe if in a couple of years, I hear better things in terms of reliability, I'll look again. I know, GM really isn't any better, but I just went with what was familiar.
  • Looking to purchase new tires for 2005 RT.Would like some feed back.
  • Hey all,

I am interested in a Magnum to replace my existing T&C. I am curious if anyone out ther has actually measured the back of the car to see what the height vs width works out to be.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Lee
    We replaced our T&C with a Magnum RT in Oct. of 2004. I never measured, but the difference in space is dramatic. Far less utility in the Magnum. That said, I love the drive, ride, & power of the Magnum. The thing we really miss is no third row, which we need from time to time. The Magnum does have considerably mmore luggage space than the 300C, which we were also considering at the time.
  • I traded my '00 Grand Caravan for a ne '06 Magnum RT. I think that everything I used to fit behind the third row of the GC can now fit in the back or the Magnum. I figure what I lost was the space in the third row seating area. For me, the trade-off is well worth it in performance and fun-to-drive gains.
  • I have an '06 Magnum RT and was hesitant with the first snowfall here in Illinois but it handled great in the snow! I think the idea that rear wheel driven vehicles can't handle well in snow/ice conditions is a little outdated. There have been lots of advances in tire compounds, electronic stability programs and anti-lock brakes since large rear wheel drive cars were popular many years ago. Now I would not hesitiate to drive my Magnum anywhere in any conditions.
  • lrs5lrs5 Posts: 1
    Could not agree with you more! I also have an '05 Magnum and have had nothing but problems with the front end. Has been "fixed" many times and TSB performed (which if you read this TSB it is a joke how they fix the problem). Have had to replace tires at 30,000 miles and front suspension is worn the vehicle now scrapes on the smallest bump. Steering wheel is not centered,turns harder to one side than the other and so on. This is my fourth (and last) Chrysler vehicle since 1997 and your right,they refuse to acknowledge that this is a problem. They don't even respond to the numerous times I have contacted them.
    And maybe all of these "new" problems with the steering rack and steering vibration are related to this. (I have not had this particular problem yet, but my car does not drive straight either) As I believe this "fix" has already been applied to these vehicles because there is no real fix for this problem,only the TSB used to disguise the design flaw and tell the consumer the vehicle is "road crown sensitive". EVERYONE needs to contact the NHTSA and file a complaint about the front end and get them to start a defect investigation. It is not right to pass the cost of their engineering flaw on to the consumer. This is the only way Chrysler is really going to fix these vehicles.

And those of you who think your car rides correctly, are you sure your not just willing to settle for the road crown excuse. No new car should drive this way.
  • I have an 05 SXT and have been pleasantly suprised with the handling in snowy Michigan. I traded in my 01 Deville with front wheel drive and previous to that I owned a Saab 900 and Audi A6 Quattro. While it can't compare to the Quattro for traction, I haven't been stranded or felt unsafe. With the stability and traction control, the car manages quite well. Don't let people scare you, this car handles well.
  • jacktbjacktb Posts: 41
    After reading these posts concerning front end vibration and suspension issues, I felt compelled to add my experiences. I have an '05 Hemi Magnum purchased new in October 2004. In 2 plus years of ownership, this vehicle has been nearly flawless. The interior, although laden with plastic, remains tight and rattle-free. I have had this car up to 100 mph with no vibrations or rattle issues. The vehicle is stock with original tires and brakes.

These experiences make me wonder if there is a design flaw in the car or something is happening during the build process. This may explain why some cars have issues while others remain problem free. I would be interested to know the build date of these cars. Mine was assembled in September 2004.

Just a thought.
    I have an '05 Magnum RT that was built and leased at the same time as yours. Other than the worthless Continental tires, which lasted only 16,000 miles, my experience has been very similar to yours. The car has been great and I enjoy it very much. I unreservedly recommend it to all.
  • jacktbjacktb Posts: 41
    I completely agree on the tires. The Continental tires seem too soft and not the best choice for this application.

Since I am approaching replacement, what brand/model did you choose and are they any good? I understand the Cooper is a good replacement and I have run them in the past with no problem. --Thanks.