Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    and "Chrysler 300N" conversations
  • fsvfsv Posts: 196
    Otto, it's middle of July - what's happening on the plant - when the first cars are rolling out?
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    we are still building the LH cars till Aug 28 . Then we shutdown for major retooling for the LX cars . I dont know if they have a date on when we start building pilot LX cars , but we were told the first sellable LX cars will not be built till late Jan 04 . Hope this helps
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Recently I saw a spot saying the base Chryslers would continue to use the 2.7 and the 3.5... Is that correct based on your understanding? Seems like an awful lot of car for the 2.7...
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    i agree jason. but, an article in automobile magazines quoted a chrysler engineer as saying the 2.7l and 3.5l deficiencys would be fixed. there has been talk of hemi heads for some of the v6 engines, but i'm not sure how that would work with overhead cams...?
    That's interesting... I don't know that I'd consider the 2.7 or the 3.5 "deficient"....I just don't see how the 2.7 could ever produce reasonable power for a 3900 pound car...
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    yeah, if it were me, the smallest engine in the lx cars would be the 3.5l...2.7l just doesn't have enough low end grunt! also i'm a little surprised they aren't gonna use the 4.7l engine. i think that would be a great in-between powerplant (ie 3.5-5.7l).
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    "Tentative Launch Dates (JOB 1)

Chrysler Sedan 300's
    Monday Feb. 2nd 2004

Dodge Magnum
    Friday April 2nd 2004

Dodge Sedan (Charger?)
    April 4th 2005

There is a 30 to 45 day containment window on top of these dates
    just to make sure everything is O.K."

Note that the Dodge sedan is not coming out till 4/05, presumably as an '06 model. Considering that the Dodge Intrepid goes out of production 8/03, that's a loooong time for Dodge dealers to wait for a new shipment of sedans!

-Andrew L
    with all the inventory sitting on all new car lots now, I wouldn't be worried for DC - good if they'll seel most of them to the time 300 shows up.
    BTW, some update from http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6249&sid=178&am- p;n=158 - see the 300 on the way there.
    They say, engine choice will start from 3.5L V6. The car looks like some old model Mercedes.
    I start looking more and more on Q45 - at least it's not generic and derivative.
  • amadeus1amadeus1 Posts: 1
    I currently have a Chrysler 2004, 300M with approximately 2200 miles on it. After having a 2002 that was a lemon, I traded out of the '02 for the '04. Nothing wrong with the car, just not happy with the entire process or service via Chrysler. Any ideas on a fair trade-in value for this vehicle that isn't even listed in the Blue Book yet? Thanks...

D.I.
    You should have leased the car - Chrysler ownership could be disasteros (former Intrepid owner). Theoretically you shouldn't loose too much, but with the car prices now you could be in a tight spot. Dealers, to the best of my knowledge, don't go with KBB, I saw them using NADA, but Honda guys, for example, have their own book. You'll be better off visiting some dealership and try to talk them into looking in one of their little books...
  • rusty104rusty104 Posts: 39
    The Edmund's reviews of Chrysler radios have not been good. Does anyone know if they are being upgraded for the new models?
    I didn't have problem with mine - was the only thing which didn't break on the car.
  • svevarsvevar Posts: 160
    While I haven't read all of Edmunds' reviews, I believe that they usually dislike only Chrysler's head units and find the sound quality to be pretty good. It actually annoys me how Edmunds reviewers find it necessary, in each and every Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep review, to complain about the complexity of using the presets on Chrysler's radios. Sure, theirs might be different than other manufacturers' systems, but does this make the Chrysler preset system bad? It seems pretty simple and logical to me.
    You needn't be too surprised by this... Edmunds.com is no less free from bias--warranted or otherwise--than any other group. They seem to have some sort of axe to grind with Chrysler. The Intrepid test was replete with this. Just as you'll see dubious claims from posters in these boards.
    I also noticed strong anti-Chrysler bias in Edmunds' long-term Grand Caravan review. While it's arguable that Honda's Odyssey is a better van, most other automotive writers agree that Chrysler's is pretty damn good, too. But Edmunds could never stop talking about how expensive the Grand Caravan was, and they dwelled on the van's weaknesses while just briefly mentioning its strong points. And if I hear one more time about how "counter-intuitive" the preset system is...

Getting back to rusty104's radio post, there is an article in the September issue of Car and Driver in which Patrick Bedard ponders the industry's move from traditional fender-mounted, mast-style radio antennae to more aesthetically pleasing, in-glass systems. The article states that with the in-glass systems, car-makers must make a trade-off between sound quality and weak-station performance. GM tends to handle weak stations well, whereas Chrysler and BMW concern themselves with sound quality under optimal radio signal conditions. This explains the common complaint among Chrysler owners on Edmunds that their radio reception is sometimes poor.
    Good observations... Again, Edmunds isn't the only industry media that seems to do this, witness Consumer Reports, etc.etc... It's surprising too how blatantly it manifests. My favorites are the minivan "kvetching" you mentioned and harping on the Intrepid's styling (a.k.a. the "squished whale" fallacy). The Intrepid and the Concorde were routinely honored for their styling when they debuted in late 1997/early 1998. C & D, Motor Trend, Autoweek etc. all raved about it and continue to mention how well it "stands up" 5 years later.
        So, low and behold, when Edmunds can't find so much to complain about in the long-term test suddenly the "squished whale" styling issue emerges. You can almost hear the gears turning..."well damn it didn't fall apart like we had hoped, and the transmission didn't break like they do on ALL Chryslers (wink). In fact it had some of the lowest maintenance cost of any long-termer....what CAN we pick on???"
          I rarely listen to my radio, using my 4 disk CD changer instead. When I have I don't have any qualms about reception in my Trep'--however, I do notice an occasional harmonic buzz in my speakers..
    I'd written off Consumer Reports so long ago I forgot about its tremendous biases. If I recall correctly, they once recommended a Hyundai Sonata over a Chrysler Sebring sedan. At least the 300M and other LH models are "recommended," though CR never really seems to have anything good to say about them.

With the recent Ram, Pacifica, and Crossfire introductions, Chrysler has begun to receive the respect it deserves from the majority of automotive journalists. Let's hope this continues with the `04 Durango, `05 LX's, and so on.
  • but i wish daimler chrysler had kept the twin circular front headlight design and solid red rear lamp design from the concept vehicle. with its cost-cutting one piece mirrored front headlight assembly, the production magnum looks a lot less menacing. still, i think it's a pretty good looking wagon. it looks like it'll come down to a test drive of the Dodge Magnum SST with all wheel drive and the new Subaru Legacy GT Turbo with all wheel drive. Either way, I think i'll be one happy guy on the way up to Whistler. Snowboarding, anyone?
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    Dodge Magnum SST ?. The Magnum will come as SXT or RT .Then down the road will come the SRT-8 option, 6.1 Hemi power .