Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Big Surprise, It's Great for Commuting - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in BMW
imageBig Surprise, It's Great for Commuting - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Say what you will about the 2014 BMW i3's limitations as an extended-range EV, but it's a fantastic car for commuting.

Read the full story here

Comments

• gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    "All EVs are still science projects to some extent"

You didn't really say that, did you? My 'science project' (Nissan Leaf) has gotten me to work and around town for over 2 years.

If it takes gas-like EV range to make it more mainstream for you, then consider the Tesla Model S. EVs are 'real' cars, not like the Citicars of the 1970s.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    @gslippy - no disrespect intended but Erin is spot on. So long as EV's continue to require careful planning for extended trips, vacations, etc., they remain science projects to some extent. Edmunds found that out themselves earlier when they took this I3 on an extended trip and were unable to maintain safe highway speeds up hill at the end of their trip.

I've got nothing against EV's... as I actually like the I3 and like them for what they are... but they remain not yet ready to replace everyman's car.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    An hour and ten minutes to go 20 miles...does that ever suck out loud.

My commute is 27 miles...takes me half an hour, thankfully.

Kind of agree with that science project assessment...how can they green-light an operating mode that doesn't allow the car to make it up a modest grade?
  • markedwardsmarkedwards Member Posts: 32
    I look at my i3 not as as a science project but a specialized tool for daily driving. I live and work in a congested city. It often takes me 45 to 50 minutes for the 5.2 miles needed to drop off my spouse and get to my office. The i3 has transformed that drudgery into something approaching enjoyable. Far superior to any ICE vehicle in these circumstances. Still, we are a two-car household so have the luxury of an E90 for weekend jaunts out of town.
  • ruckusriderruckusrider Member Posts: 9
    Man, lots of butthurt over the "science project" comment. If anything, that makes having an EV more fun. That's the whole idea behind early adopting. Who buys and EV and wants it to be seen as normal? It's not normal, and that's what makes it awesome.
  • anotherdrunkanotherdrunk Guest Posts: 30
    edited March 2015
    i get a free (included with the lease), dc fast charge to ~85% in 20 minutes every other day 2.2 miles from home

then top it off with the L1 (occasional use) 120V home garage charger