Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Design your Ultimate Hatchback!

2»

Comments

• dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    go to

http://www2.saabusa.com/concepts/

and look at the lower right hand corner.
  • Sorry, I added an "x" inadvertantly. Although I like the 9-x, the 9-3x to me looks rather so-so even though the general idea of the vehicle is great.

I've admired the P-1800 for decades but am simply too tall to ever have a chance of fitting. I think Saab could be on to something successful w/ the SportHatch if they play the game right.

I also like the 3-door Hatch that is drawn in one of the recent European Car magazines. It's included in the article on the SportHatch for visual interest only but that little car could be pretty neat too. One glance and you know it's a Saab yet it's very elegant too.

Dr. Daryl
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,278
    thanks for the link.

the x looks ok, but the sport hatch seems rather bland and just like a blending of other wagons that are already out there (lexus sportcross and the existing saab wagon) and ones on the way (new Legacy). the pics just don't excite me. but we'll see when it is available in person.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• Hi new to edmunds but was interested in this discussion. Not to many people now about the mazda cosmo. Rare and very fast. It did come in a hatchback and was made in mid to late 70's. came with a rotary engine that redlined a 8 thousand rpm's. but could not blow. (my dad said he tried). but anyways, a 76 mazda cosmo with complete side to side airbags complete carbon fiber interior 18 inch spinners complete sniper body kit with wide body included. house of color paint with ghost flames. I think this would be the perfect hatchback even though it isnt the newer style of car. look into this car but dont expect to find one like i said very rare. and dont let the year of make fool you this car will smoke the piss out of your normal v6 turbo. but dont take it from me do your own research. please reply if anyone else has heard of this car
  • gandrigogandrigo Posts: 87
    I thought the cosmo came as a 2 door coupe, and if memory serves I don't think it had much more than 120hp. if you have links to any pics or info, i'd like to see it.
  • conallconall West TexasPosts: 91
    There is some info on the '68 Cosmo at the following link. This particular year, the sport model produced 130hp.: http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=94600
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    I've only seen the '70's Cosmo coupe.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    There are already too many overloaded hatchbacks out there. Make this hatchback light - in the spirit of the 89-94 Suzuki Swift GT or even the original Mini. By the way, it has to be a 3-door.

This needs to be a cheap car, light and great handling, no leather, no dual climate controls, heck, toss the power windows.

The weight goal should be 2200 pounds, with a horsepower goal of about 140. The engine should be small and lightweight to keep the car balanced, and improve fuel economy.

There must be a modern version of the Swift GT's 1.3 liter (g13b) engine out there. I'm sure Suzuki could make a car like this overnight, if they don't have one in Japan already.

I would like to see a k-car class in America. (650cc cars)
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    make a hatchback version of today's Saab 9-3, toss in a light pressure turbocharged version of the Malibu's 3.5L, retune it for 255 horsepower, price it at $35,000 well equipped with two rows of seats and a very small third row. There we go. My hatchback.
    Fit the 2.4l turbo from the Mazdaspeed 6 into the Mazda 3 hatchback, give it four-wheel drive (like the Mazdaspeed 6) and maybe the 6-speed manual gearbox, also. Or is Mazda already considering that for the future, anyway?!
  • That sounds more like a big wagon than a hatchback - three rows of seats? I like the Saab idea, but I would rather bring back the 900 as an entry level Saab - skip the fancy amenities, and sell it for $20-25k. Make it as a coupe or convertible only, lightweight, great handling. Make it a _real_ Saab, and have it compete with the RSX.

I would choose to emulate the early 80s 900, maybe 1982.

That would be cool.
  • jojojojojojo Posts: 6
    remember when the difference between a hatchback and a wagon was that the hatchback had a lip like a trunk? i havent actually looked at any recent model hatchbacks but it seems that the mfg's have wisely gotten rid of the lip.

my ideal hatchback / mini wagon would be the return of the honda civic wagon. it was the best car ever conceived. i am simply disgusted with honda for making only large cars. i had hoped that the crv or the element would be the replacement for the civic wagon oh but not so. this would be an entry level car, 3 door, fast, reliable, all the features of the civic wagon.. seats that fold flat. durable.
  • saaboysaaboy Posts: 23
    That's a GREAT idea. I own a 1986 900s myself... If only SAAB had more people like jchan2 working for them.
  • tiger10tiger10 Posts: 46
    i can show you a hatchback if you follow these directions:
    1:Go to Hyundai.com
    2:choose the country India
    3:you will be in website of the Indian Hyundai and now select the car called Santro.
    4:it might be the hatchback for some people.
  • aeroluvraeroluvr Posts: 42
    Bring back one very similar to Nissan 240SX..about 1993 version, perhaps a bit more power in the engine and a few added "newer" technologies and you'd have the perfect hatchback...at least I would LOL.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I'm a finance guy though. But I wouldn't mind working for Saab.

Neither would my thirteen year old son.

The idea of a stripper base model 900 sounds interesting.

Why not call it the 9-2 though?
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,719
    Audi A3 3.2 Quattro, but with:

1. V6 engine with direct fuel injection
    2. Touring, not sports, suspension
    3. Higher profile tires to handle bad roads
    4. Forged aluminum wheels (17" is just fine)
    5. Narrower interior center console for more leg room
    6. Longer service hours from Audi dealers

Maybe I've described a Toyota '06 RAVE4 here?
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    Sounds like everyone has a different idea!
    I want something stylish, yet practical, room for 4 adults. European details and options. Go to their sites and many of them offer huge range of options and ways to make the cars personal. I hate the US way of selling cars. no choice other than color and maybe just maybe you can chose between two different color interiors. you want that one option, well you have to get the whole package to get that. sorry i digress. Power would be a 150 hp/300 ft/lb diesel that got 40 mpg. It would look something like this styling wise.

• tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    I've got a Hyundai Elantra hatchback. The similarities in styling to the 9-3 are striking.

So is the price difference.
  • cjshowcjshow Posts: 16
    The closest I've seen to my ultimate hatchback is the Nissan Moco, available overseas and made by Suzuki. It is very tiny four door that comes is great colors inside and out. In a couple reviews I've read that mentioned it (through a global nissan party of sorts) the reviewers (men) said it was a chick's car and completely ingnored it. Hello, women are 50% of the buying population! Ah, well. They were biased because the test car was pink, I bet.

My ultimate hatchback will have:
    *Sub- to compact exterior
    *Mid-sized interior
    *Plush seats that are comfy on long trips and don't make your bum numb.
    *Heated folding power mirrors with turn signal
    *Oversized rearview mirror and/or excellent rear visibility
    *Fold flat seats (including passenger) and level load floor
    *wide, low loading opening with scratch guards
    *Under seat storage
    *easy to read guages and stereo controls
    *a Manual that's not written for dummies who can't buckle their seat belt properly nor for tuners who already know where to put the fluids but for someone in between (aka me)
    *Latch system (might have kids one of these days)
    *powerful a/c and heat
    *stain-resistant carpeting and seat cloth
    *snazzy colors for exterior (keep black, white, silver and red, but add more interesting choices like turquoise, sage green, butter yellow, and metallic pearl options).
    *heat-resistant interior materials and colors (ban black interiors! Bring on the beige!) Moco is available in either teal or apricot interior.
    *tight turning circle
    *great gas milage, of course (like 40-50 mpg) or biodiesel
    *self-cleaning every time it rains, instead of looking dirtier (how is it possible, anyway?)
    *Occasional seating for 6 would be nice

Search for pics of the Moco on the web. I know it looks like a toy car, but that's part of the appeal, mind you! If I got one I'd like it to be 50-75% bigger but still retain the cute factor.
  • mikelg2mikelg2 Posts: 7
    1. 1960s Mini Cooper Body.
    2. 15" wheels.
    3. 4 Seater. Elevated center column for structural rigidity, the driveshaft, and other linkage (similar to the Rx8)
    4. RWD, Limited Slip Differential.
    5. 105hp 1.5L Yaris motor.
    6. 6 speed manual; 6th gear deep overdrive e.g. 80mph at 2200rpm.

So that makes it fun to drive, very economical, practical, quick, and attractive.
  • forbesjforbesj Posts: 22
    Base the platform loosely on the European Focus, but for RWD. Make it a bit longer, and use that for rear seat legroom. 4 door only.

For engine options, go for a 2.0/2.2 (2.0 in Mazda3 would be an example), 2.4/2.5 (Altima 4cyl - something with a bit of grunt), and stick a small (works at low RPMs) turbo in the big engine for the performance model, for ~220-230bhp). A diesel option would be nice, too.

15-16" wheels on the base engine, 16" or 17" on the middle model, and 17-18" on the sporty model.

5 speed manual or auto on "normal" versions, 6 speed manual on performance model.

RWD, LSD on performance version.

Usual range of accessories. A/C, power stuff standard, but not much else.

Styling like a Lancer or Mazda3 would be fine. Nice, non-tacky interior would be nice. A speedo that was useful for normal road travelling speeds would be nice, too.

Price would start probably around $16k or so, and go up to $25-28k fully loaded, and they'd be very different cars.

Nominally, it'd likely fall into the compact class, or maybe edge in to the bottom of the midsize class.

Oh well, the Mazda3 comes close enough :)
    >>Oh well, the Mazda3 comes close enough.<<

I think you and I both would have prefered an
    AWD MazdaSpeed 3 to the current FWD one. :shades:
2»
This discussion has been closed.