Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Design your Ultimate Hatchback!

Comments

• mikusmikus Posts: 109
    Modern European diesels do not take american high-sulphur diesel fuel.

Put 2.0 into Matrix, and it will be the best "short hatchback" ever. Well, Mazda3 seems promising. Mazda6 will be the only "long hatchback" now, when Saab gave up hatchbacks. Mazda also has Miata (though aging) and RX8. Zoom-zoom :)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886
    Saab has been showing a new 9-3 hatchback/wagon design and rumors are it will be built.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Well I really like the Mercedes C230 Sport Coupe, but that is out of my price range.

I just bought a 2003 Mazda Protege DX (base) sedan, and would definitely have bought a hatchback had one been available. Just as the Protege is two generations evolution of the 1990-1994 Protege and the 3 is another generation still, I would have loved a 1999-2003 323, improved along the same lines as the sedan.

The Mazda 3 is nice, but the hatchbacks are all loaded 5 doors with all the luxo-stuff and the big engine. What I would like is a two door hatchback version with the smaller 2.0 liter, big enough tires and a firm suspension, at a price of about $13000 with AC.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I want.....
    5 door configuration
    leather seats
    hybrid
    Bluetooth/Smart Start/Navigation System/ Power Sunroof
    Automatic Climate Control
    Power Liftgate
    Alloy Wheels
    Decent Warranty
    All for $26K (wishful)
    The Toyota Prius comes close, but I want factory leather and that Power Liftgate. I'll compromise though and I'm thinking whether to line up at the dealer and give them my order.To keep prices affordable, maybe I'll need to not order a few items listed.
  • conallconall West TexasPosts: 91
    How about the Lancia Delta Integrale!? Not exactly a great passenger car, but definitely one of the ultimate hatchbacks. Unfortunately not sold in the U.S. Last model was a '94. Rival to the Audi Quattro after '85, it owes its existence to the competition Audi brought to offroad rallye racing.
  • Something like a Scion xA (i.e. well-equipped, stylish, cheap), but with a 2.0 liter engine and about a foot longer (for a bigger trunk) would be about perfect. And oh yeah, cruise control.

Matrix would almost be it if the base model was equippped like the Scion, had a better engine than the 1.8, and got rid of the 'funky' dashboard/controls. Ew.
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    If you could have made my old saab 900 turbo move like my 328i, you'd be doing pretty good.

Toss in bmw's 3.0L diesel and you're doing REALLY good. You could do donuts while burning soybean oil.

Of course, looking just now i spy the c320 sport coupe. It doesn't look too bad. The 20/26 mpg though, is not that great.

dave
  • My ulitmate hatch is as follows:

(whisper this just loudly enough so that Mike Mauer [spelling??] at Saab hears this). "I want a 3-door version of the Saab 9-3x SportHatch."

3-doors 'cause I'm big and need a long side door.
    4-wheel drive.
    Plenty of low end torque/high end pep.
    Ergonomic interior to rival any Honda product.
    Subwoofer standard....yes I'm an audiophile.
    Soft-touch leather.
    No shiny,plasticky dashboard.
    Standard cooler in the back
    6-speed stick
    Sport suspension/wheels/all-season tyres.
    Durable as can be.
    Glance'n'go dash/instrument center stack.

In other words, a thoroughly modern Volvo P1800 with all the Swedish blessings mixed with the best Japan offers and sold to this American. I love to drive; I love to look good; and sometimes I have to haul stuff. And no, I don't want an SUV, pickup, or another minivan. 90% of my time in it would be commuting, 5% hauling, and 5% playing.

If anyone is up to the task, it's Saab.

But, that is just a pipe dream. But that's what this thread is, isn't it?? :-)))

Kindly,
    Dr. Daryl
    The 9-3 sporthatch looks REALLY cool. 250hp, 260lb-ft. 15% better fuel economy. Glass roof, integrated bike carrier. I worry about the expense of all those bells and whistles i don't need ( like a DVD player, camcorder, and hydraulic rear gate ). But it looks good.

A mercedes sport copue with their diesel v6 wouldn't be bad either.
    what is the 9-3 sporthatch? where can i read about this?

go to

http://www2.saabusa.com/concepts/

and look at the lower right hand corner.
  • Sorry, I added an "x" inadvertantly. Although I like the 9-x, the 9-3x to me looks rather so-so even though the general idea of the vehicle is great.

I've admired the P-1800 for decades but am simply too tall to ever have a chance of fitting. I think Saab could be on to something successful w/ the SportHatch if they play the game right.

I also like the 3-door Hatch that is drawn in one of the recent European Car magazines. It's included in the article on the SportHatch for visual interest only but that little car could be pretty neat too. One glance and you know it's a Saab yet it's very elegant too.

Dr. Daryl
    thanks for the link.

the x looks ok, but the sport hatch seems rather bland and just like a blending of other wagons that are already out there (lexus sportcross and the existing saab wagon) and ones on the way (new Legacy). the pics just don't excite me. but we'll see when it is available in person.

• Hi new to edmunds but was interested in this discussion. Not to many people now about the mazda cosmo. Rare and very fast. It did come in a hatchback and was made in mid to late 70's. came with a rotary engine that redlined a 8 thousand rpm's. but could not blow. (my dad said he tried). but anyways, a 76 mazda cosmo with complete side to side airbags complete carbon fiber interior 18 inch spinners complete sniper body kit with wide body included. house of color paint with ghost flames. I think this would be the perfect hatchback even though it isnt the newer style of car. look into this car but dont expect to find one like i said very rare. and dont let the year of make fool you this car will smoke the piss out of your normal v6 turbo. but dont take it from me do your own research. please reply if anyone else has heard of this car
  • gandrigogandrigo Posts: 87
    I thought the cosmo came as a 2 door coupe, and if memory serves I don't think it had much more than 120hp. if you have links to any pics or info, i'd like to see it.
    There is some info on the '68 Cosmo at the following link. This particular year, the sport model produced 130hp.: http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=94600
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    I've only seen the '70's Cosmo coupe.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    There are already too many overloaded hatchbacks out there. Make this hatchback light - in the spirit of the 89-94 Suzuki Swift GT or even the original Mini. By the way, it has to be a 3-door.

This needs to be a cheap car, light and great handling, no leather, no dual climate controls, heck, toss the power windows.

The weight goal should be 2200 pounds, with a horsepower goal of about 140. The engine should be small and lightweight to keep the car balanced, and improve fuel economy.

There must be a modern version of the Swift GT's 1.3 liter (g13b) engine out there. I'm sure Suzuki could make a car like this overnight, if they don't have one in Japan already.

I would like to see a k-car class in America. (650cc cars)
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    make a hatchback version of today's Saab 9-3, toss in a light pressure turbocharged version of the Malibu's 3.5L, retune it for 255 horsepower, price it at $35,000 well equipped with two rows of seats and a very small third row. There we go. My hatchback.
    Fit the 2.4l turbo from the Mazdaspeed 6 into the Mazda 3 hatchback, give it four-wheel drive (like the Mazdaspeed 6) and maybe the 6-speed manual gearbox, also. Or is Mazda already considering that for the future, anyway?!
This discussion has been closed.