Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW Z4

Comments

• Many thanks for your response. Your suggestion regarding the Lemon Laws here was excellent. Unfortunately, Canada (I'm in British Columbia) does not have a Lemon Law (sigh). We DO have CAMVAP (Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan) which covers most cars, light trucks, sport utes and vans bought or leased.

Notably, only two auto manufacturers opted out of the program: BMW and Mitsubishi. Interesting...

I love the car (my third BMW) but am done with BMW based on this experience. I'm looking at the new Audi TT.

Thanks again for taking the time to resond.

Beverley
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,095
    If you think BMW is bad...just wait until there's a problem with your AUDI :confuse:

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,445
    Good luck...I hope you get some satisfaction in the end....
  • esfoadesfoad Posts: 210
    I'm a Canadian living in NJ so I feel your pain. We have an 07 Z4 3.0Si with 10K miles and so far no issues. Sorry for your problems and I hope BMW steps up and resolves your issue.
  • Hi, I am a college student looking into buying a used Z4 (03-05). Currently, I have a mustang but I'm ready for a change. If you would answer my questions below, I would greatly appreciate it.
    1. How much does it usually cost to fill up the gas tank at todays current gas prices--$4.00/ gallon?
    2. How many gallons of gas does the Z4 hold?
    3. Is it very expensive to take this car to the shop for maintenance, oil changes, etc? Since this is a foreign car, would the techs at Wal-Mart do an oil change or do you have to take it to a BMW dealer?
    4. Are there really alot of blind spots? Are they easy to get used to?
    6. Is it a practical car for a college student who doesn't want to spend alot of money on a car (pmts and up keep)?

Any answer to these questions will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing your responses
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    My mom owns a 2.5 z4.

1~$50
    2. Supposed o be ~14 but only about 9-10 gallons go in
    3. Our BMW dealer charged $200 for an oil change. If anything, buy bmws oil and filter and find some place to change it.

4. When I drive(6'1"), no blind spots. A tiny one on the left, but a slight twist of body erases it.

5.... see above

6. Its my mom's only car and she has no problem. Sadly,, the cost of tires alone keeps me from saying college student practical. Thats any roadster. For now, i recommend a small sedan or hatch or coupe. IMO, a mini cooper hatch would be somewhat better for you. Its large sunroof is almost like a convertible and it is cheaper to insure. Also better mpg. My mom averages 21-22mpg in her z4, but she babies it. No speeding, no fast take offs, ect. She drives it like a prius. Me OTOH, i drive it like a bmw and get 17-18mpg. A mini gets much more.

Also mini has space for 2 rear people and they also get a sunroof. Also cargo space if you fold down rear seats is much better than a z4. Mini is made by bmw too! It would be a much better choice for a college student.

-Cj
  • Hello,

A Z4 is a nice car, (but just a car. has good styling, power, handling, and safety).
    The only difference between a $100,000 car and a Kia are the way people look at you. Stay tuned to your studies and make real friends; not friends who are in love with things more than people. I've learned alot since I've owned a Z4. Buy a Mazda
    3, or a Honda, or a 2 year old Z4.
  • I have been told by word of mouth that the Z4 2004 has a problem taking in water through the seal in the Left Rear Side. At the moment, because of the water leak, my amp burned out and my motor for the top has been burned. I have been told that the bag that seals the motor is not water tight? Can this be true?

Does anyone one where i can find literature regarding this common defect so I can slap it into BMW face when I see them?
  • I have been told by word of mouth that the Z4 2004 has a problem taking in water through the seal in the Left Rear Side. At the moment, because of the water leak, my amp burned out and my motor for the top has been burned. I have been told that the bag that seals the motor is not water tight? Can this be true?

Does anyone one where i can find literature regarding this common defect so I can slap it into BMW face when I see them?

There is no current Recall regarding this issue, as far as I have seen online.

Thank you, Lee.
  • Is anyone else bothered by the low gears in the Z4? I'm reving 3.5Krpm on the freeway just to do 70mph to keep up with traffik. Was wondering if anyone had tried taller tires???? Or any other ideas? Just rev her?
    I need a 6 spd tranny! Or maybe change out the rear end. Probably spendy...
    Thanks!
  • bod2bod2 Posts: 3
    I bought my Z4 new in November, 2002 - just before BMW started its "Land Shark" commercials that introduced the vehicle. For the most part, I've loved the car. BUT starting last spring, I first noticed that the trunk would get wet after rains. I finally got it back to the dealer in time to replace the amplifier AND the motor for the top since both items had shorted out. The warranty had just expired, so I was out over $4K. I thought the problem with the wet trunk was fixed, but that problem came right back. Took the car to an independent mechanic who I trusted, and thought the problem was fixed. He did mention something about leaking through the taillight(?). I thought it was fixed last summer, but now (spring, 2009) the trunk is wet again.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
  • robgskirobgski Posts: 1
    Yes! I have a 2003 Z4, and this year for the first time, I also have a leak in my trunk, and had to replace the fried amp and other wiring for a lot of money (not covered by my extended warranty because of water damage. Unfortunately, it is still leaking and the dealer is baffled. The little well in the rear trunk driver's side fills up totally with water when it rains, and then the entire carpet gets saturated, dripping water into the electronics bin under the trunk mat. Today a convertible top guy is looking at it. Wonder how widespread this issue is...
  • mukkbomukkbo Posts: 2
    hi..
    I'm having the same problem
    recently with all these rain in CA, My trunk leaked water into the battery /AMP compartment and burned out my AMP.
    Did the dealer take any responsibility for it or did u have to fix it out of your pocket?
    As of now, my warranty has expired.

also, was it just the amp that you had to replace or did it affect any of the wires/ connection for the audio system?
  • mukkbomukkbo Posts: 2
    hi..
    I'm having the same problem
    recently with all these rain in CA, My trunk leaked water into the battery /AMP compartment and burned out my AMP.
    Did the dealer take any responsibility for it or did u have to fix it out of your pocket?
    As of now, my warranty has expired.

also, was it just the amp that you had to replace or did it affect any of the wires/ connection for the audio system?
  • I havb a 2004 Z4 currently in the shop for this very problem, a burned out amp and probably the convertible top motor because of water in the trunk and battery well. The problem was discovered when the audio system quit working and 3 days later the car would not start. Guessing it was might be a fuse and the battery, I discovered 1 /12 inches of water in the well area of the trunk which stores the battery and the amp. I've given the ok for the amp to be replaced but now I'm second guessing that decission if the problem will reoccur. The speculation is rain water through the rear tail light. Also it was suggested that the small drain in the convertible top's well, where it folds down, is clogged giving the water no where to go but in the trunk. Neither has been confirmed as the cause for the water.
  • cliff23cliff23 Posts: 5
    I own a 2005 Z-4 with the sports package (18" wheels). Love it! But, what is the most quiet, smoothest tire I can replace the original Bridgestone Run flats with, to achieve the most comfortable ride?
  • bod2bod2 Posts: 3
    mokkbo - I had the same set of problems with my 2003 Z4, and had to replace the amp twice, and the battery at least once while the local BMW dealer fiddled with water in the trunk. Various remedies were performed - replacing the rear tail light, cleaning out the drain - but the problem wasn't solved until the roof was replaced(!). After incurring several thousand dollars in costs (the amps alone were over $1000 each), they did the roof for free.

That was about three years ago. My concern is that I recently found water in the well again. In posts on other blogs, I've found other Z4 owners with the same problem. Sounds like a design flaw to me. Time for a class action suit?

Let me know if your situation has been resolved, and if so, how.
  • I also own a 2004 Z4. After Hurricane Irene and the rains it brought, upon opening the trunk, was startled to see a pool of water in the well over the left rear tire. My insurance adjuster said I needed to get new seals for my trunk or convertible top. It appears you are suggesting to skip the preliminaries and seek a new top for the car. Are there other options?
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,445
    First, are you wanting to keep RFT's or move towards GFT's?

Without knowing that, its very difficult to know what to suggest for you.

But, I also have Bridgestone "rocks" on my 2007 Z4 Coupe, so I understand exactly where you are coming from...
  • Thanks for your reply. Great question. I guess I would like a suggestion for both. From what I have read in general, any GFT will be smoother, quieter, etc. than any RFT. Therefore I "lean" toward info on an RFT on the remote chance of a flat. My 05' Z-4 had about 40k on it when I purchased it and is not due for any type of service for another 1.5k. I think I have all of 2k on it in the two years I have had it. I infer from the millage some state on tire life that; the original owner replaced the tires with the same Bridgestone "rocks" while they had it. The tread looks very good and "Tire Rack" says not to worry unless some cracking can be ascertained and/or replace after X amont of years reguardless. I like to drive at a reasonably high speed when it is safe to do so and am not one who is prone to per se: test the cars limits. Tire Rack says the new generation Bridgestone RFT's are much more improved but I have not read anywhere so far something that qualifies it to a degree that I can interpret. I love my Z-4 (the previous owner kept the car in excellent condition) and would probably drive it for longer distances given the tire consideration.