Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Much Improved for Wider Appeal - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in MINI
imageMuch Improved for Wider Appeal - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

There are a lot of changes for the new generation 2014 Mini Cooper, and most of them have improved the car to make it more appealing to a wider range of car shoppers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    I think going for wider appeal has ruined its value proposition. Before, you could say that it was so quirky and offbeat that you can't really compare it with anything else. Now that it's gone mainstream, you *can* compare it with something else. And when you run the comparison, you find you're spending a whole lot of extra money unnecessarily.
  • Options
    darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    Disagree. Like Brent says, no other car is as customizable or build-to-order as this car can be, and every other car in its class forces compromises (e.g. If you want stick, you cannot have loaded) that are irksome. As well, it's still plenty quirky.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Sorry, maybe I'd have a different opinion if I drove it, but I just don't get the Mini. Want a great performing small convertible that's affordable to buy and maintain? Get a Miata. Looking for an expensive to buy, expensive to maintain vehicle, get a Mini. Quirky, I don't get. Get a Mustang, pick up a used S2000, something other than a Mini. You might as well get a 3 series if you can afford the maintenance.
  • Options
    You're comparing a hatchback to impractical two-seater cars. Maybe it's the utility of hatchbacks that you "don't get?" A Mustang!? Where did that come from!? Why not suggest a minivan while you're at it!?
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    As much as I like Minis, I just can't see the point in spending $25k-$35k for such a small car. Yes, it may be surprisingly practical, but it's still small, especially when you consider what else could be had for the same price. Factor in the BMW engineering and you've got a car that simply can't be cross-shopped with your average hatchback due to higher cost of purchase and cost of ownership. A Golf/GTI is the only thing I could even consider cross-shopping a Mini with, and even then, I'd much rather have the Golf.

Minis are no longer affordable and simple cars for the masses. True, they're very customizable, and if you keep the options down, they can be decently affordable, but I'd rather buy a Golf for a little less money and get a somewhat larger and more practical car.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    He compared the Mini Convertible to the Miata, not the hatch. And while the MC has a back seat, it's really just a heavily padded parcel shelf.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

He compared the Mini Convertible to the Miata, not the hatch. And while the MC has a back seat, it's really just a heavily padded parcel shelf.

He also mentioned the S2000 -- another two-seater

Besides, any back seat is better than no back seat, plus the cargo area folds completely flat now, making for a very versatile car for hauling dogs and objects.