Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'98 Intrepid starting to use oil already

Comments

• Does the general populace here feel that the undesirability of the Intrepid washes over onto the Chrysler Concorde (twin)? My 1996 has had a few problems that are essentially maintenance, but it has only 24K on the clock.
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    it's always color schemes, amount of noiseproofing, the way they print the brochures. if the insipid is a burner, the concorde motel (ewwww) is a burner.

you might get a different transmission or engine or changes in the suspension system between a lux-twin and the standard-twin, like audi/VW or lexus/toyota, but if they've got the same parts, you've got the same expectations.

between detroilet brand-twins, expect no real differences. there are maybe a hundred different parts out of some 5000, tops, between them, and rarely in the running gear.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,584
    ...the Concorde was actually more similar to the Intrepid than it is today. They had the same interior and exterior dimensions back in '96, whereas the current Concorde is about 4-5" longer, and has a few inches more legroom in back. Same 113" wheelbase, but the back seat is pushed back further between the rear wheels.

I believe the current Concorde weighs about 100 lb more than the Intrepid, but I doubt that's enough to put any additional strain on the engine/tranny.

Sometimes, one twin will be more reliable than another if it's built at a different factory. For instance, with GM, the Impala and Century/Regal always seemd to be put together better than the Grand Prix/Intrigue. The Chevy/Buicks are built in Canada, and the Pontiac/Olds, Kansas.

Way back in the old days, a more expensive version of a car usually got you a better car. For instance, back in the '50's, a more expensive Chrysler or DeSoto usually got you a Hemi or big block, compared to a cheaper Dodge or Plymouth, which was more likely to come with a 6-cyl or the more antiquated wideblock. The pricier models were also more likely to have a 3-speed Torqueflite, as opposed to the 2-speed Powerflite. That's all ancient history though. The Concorde/300M matches the Intrepid engine for engine, and tranny for tranny (unless they've limited autostick availability). And even with the high-output V-6, the only difference between the Chrysler and Dodge comes at 90-100% of wide-open throttle, and that's more computer programming than engine differences.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    and moved its badge onto the larger body style of the LHS, but it's still the same family. Engine and transmission, as well as most other components are identical between the Concorde, LHS and Intrepid.

The 300M is nearly identical to the Intrepid R/T, including most wiring harnesses.
  • The generalizations about these closely similar vehicles are interesting, yet not indicting. My observations over many years come down to this: Some folks have a lot of trouble with various cars, and it tends to be repetitive in their lives. Some folks seem to get along very well with most any car they buy, and don't experience the big troubles reported by their counterparts.
    One secret to success is don't keep many of these contraptions beyond, say, 80K... [;^/
    My Intrepid's going to be at 80K in a few months! Actually, I'll be happy as long as it hits 100,000 miles around the same time it's paid off. The extended warranty is up at 100K, and after that point, I figure if it does blow an engine or drop a tranny, I won't have to worry about owing money on a non-running car.

I knew a guy with a Ford Probe that was in a situation like that. He bought a '94 in early '97, and financed it for 5 years. The tranny went out the first time while it was still under warranty. The second time though was at 86K, and I think he still owed about 2 years on the car. He couldn't afford to get it fixed, so it just sat in front of his parents' house and he kept making payments on it until he finally had the money.

One thing I can't stand is having to make car payments AND sink money into major repairs! Give me one or the other, but not both at the same time!
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    If you don't want both, I'd suggest staying away from DC products. I plan to stay as far away as I can get!
  • c01c01 Posts: 28
    BOTTGERS: Excellent idea. I too wouldn't touch a DC offering with a 3m pole. A downside to the takeover is that the previously high reputation of the Daimler offerings are now tainted by the perception of low quality that clings to the Cryco side.
  • I mean, like, really harsh, Dude... !

What about JEEP? It remains Daimler Chrysler. A friend was test driving a Liberty today, and I went along for the ride (literally).
    ...that Chrysler's warranty claims on the 2002 models are costing about 20% less than they did a year ago on the 2001 models. So either they ARE improving them, or they're finding cheaper ways to fix them! (or denying more claims!)
    but I've seen 6 cases so far where they've shelled their transmissions (autos). They are using the same basic model as is found in the Cherokee and the base Grand Cherokee.
  • Any chance those 6 cases were first year problems? I am hoping here that the 2003 model is improved (typical new model changes in response to early build failings).
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    ran into a guy with a months-old liberty at the car wash who just gushed over it, excellent surprise, best vehicle he's had in years.

could be another case of even-serials are good and odd-serials suck, just the luck of the draw on which axle truck your parts came off of. those problems can be fixed if a maker decides they are going to be fixed... and occasionally, they can be fixed darn near overnight by melting down the phone line to the appropriate executive at a supplier..
    I haven't seen a 2003 anything yet.
  • c01c01 Posts: 28
    J.L. Where have you been, as an automotive expert you must know many of the 2003 models have been out since last autumn.
    What he means, is that he hasn't seen any 2003 lemon law cases yet.
    it takes 6-12 months for problems to crop up and warrant filing a complaint.
    ...have you ever heard of a common problem of the thermostat housing leaking on the 2.7? Mine developed a small leak in it, and my mechanic replaced it around 51,000 miles, when I also had new back brakes and spark plugs put on. My mechanic said it was a pretty common problem, and that they'd done it a few times before.

My 'Trep is the highest-mileage 2nd-gen LH car that my mechanic sees regularly, so I think they view mine as a benchmark to gauge what the others might do.

The thermostat housing was a $209 repair by the mechanic..something like $75 for the part and the rest labor. A far cry from back in the day when I got one for my Dart for $5 out of the junkyard and put it on myself!
    leaks on the 2.7s, but not the t-stat specifically. There are usually more than one leak in the manifold so they replace it instead of just the gasket.

T-stats aren't as easy to get to as they used to be, that's for sure.

I replaced mine in my Mustang (an '86!!) and it took well over an hour.
  • A year ago I replaced my thermostat in my 1999 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 (German pushrod) with a new (Thompson made?) NAPA thermostat. I think the cost was $6.00, and I spent a morning working on it, along with other tinkering. This replacement requires a bunch of stuff to be moved out of the way to get down to the housing. I had a similar "early failure" of the thermostat in my 1993 Explorer, same engine. I traded the Explorer in on the Ranger, and had the privilege of replacing that same German thermostat in both vehicles!
This discussion has been closed.