Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oxygen Sensor

2»

Comments

• lagitanelagitane Posts: 25
    I just bought a 2003 V-8 Tundra. The O2 thing is really scaring me. I'm in way over my head on this truck as it is. Don't need some chronic repair problem. Have also heard that many Tundra owner are experiencing brake problems. Anybody know if they have fixed any of these nasty and expensive little snafus for 2003, or is this something else I have to look forward to down the road. If so, this Tundra may be the last Toyota I own. Getting pretty disillusioned with feedback I'm getting from other Tundra owners and a few mechanics who have worked on them.
  • Don't be!! 2003 should have all the fixes. Brakes should be bigger 2-21/2". And I have heard that Denseo or Toyota has upgraded the O2 sensors for 2003.
  • dpavadpava Posts: 1
    This may be a stupid question but what the heck. How do you know when your O2 sensor goes bad? I have a 2001 Tundra and it is still under warranty.
  • mavftwrthmavftwrth Posts: 1
    The only way to know if your O2 is bad is getting a diag. on your trucks computer. Your check engine light will stay on everytime you start your truck when the O2 goes. BTW this happened to me at about 30k.
  • arkie6arkie6 Posts: 198
    I too have experienced a failed O2 sensor on my 2000 Tundra V8 with 37,000 miles. I first got the check engine light and suspected an O2 sensor malfunction. I took the truck to AutoZone which does free OBDII diagnostic scans. The trouble code came up as P0135 bank 1 sensor 1 O2 heater circuit malfunction. Since it is just the heater circuit that has failed, I haven't been in any hurry to replace it - it has been about 2 months since I first got the CEL. I haven't noted any change in performance or fuel economy, and if anything, my gas mileage is getting better (could just be the warmer temperatures though). Anyway, the O2 heater circuit only comes into play during the first few minutes after you start up the engine. The O2 sensor only works when it is at full operating temperature (~600 deg. F) and the heater reduces the time until the O2 sensor is at operating temperature. This is primarily only an emissions concern since the ECU stays in open loop mode until it is getting valid inputs from the O2 sensors, then it shifts to closed loop control which is a little more precise.

The O2 sensors are covered by Toyota's standard 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty unless you live in CA, then I think they are covered 3 yr/50,000 miles under the special CA warranty requirements.

Toyota issued Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) EG019-02 on 10/3/02 due to the frequent failures of the pre-cat O2 heater circuit failures (trouble codes P0135 and P0155). The TSB states "The oxygen sensors have been improved to correct this condition" and the part numbers have been changed as well. This applies to applicable Tundras as well as Sequoias up to the O2 sensor production change.

I haven't checked on the price of a new O2 sensor at Toyota yet, but the Bosch replacment sensor at Autozone costs about $70.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem.

Alan
  • mcandelamcandela Posts: 1
    My Tundra is less than two years old and has 44k. It did not pass inspection because the O2 sensors were bad. There are four O2 sensors and the inspection report showed that both bays failed. The O2 sensors are approximately $150 each. When the mechanic at the inspection facility called to check availability of the part he was told that he needed to send me to the dealer because they had been experiencing issues with the O2 sensors. After replacing the O2 sensors the vehicles were still failing inspection. I called the customer support line and they were insensitive to this issue and have basically told me that it was my problem.

I have owned Toyotas for the past twenty years because of their reliability and quality. This is the second issue that I have had with my Tundra. The first was the brakes. They went out at 37K miles and Toyota has experienced problems with them and has since upgraded to a heavier duty brake system. They told me that Toyota was constantly improving the quality of their products and since neither of these issues are safety issues that there was no recall and I did not qualify for replacement.

I may be a bit sensitive to these issues because my expectation of Toyota is so high, but I will never purchase another Toyota again. My wife's BMW runs great and their service is outstanding.

I guess I'm a BMW man now.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Our '99 Toyota Avalon is an extreme disappointment. Out first Toyota product, it was selected in part because of the reports we'd gotten from many Toyota owners. I'm sure most of them were honest, but I think, like GM owners, many have begun to arrogantly think that they've got the best and everything else must be less.

Our Avalon cannot compare in assembly quality to my '93 Nissan Sentra, or for that matter, my recently purchased Dakota truck. We've had problems with the power windows, engine sludging, sway bar links, ABS brakes, the transmission is now slipping at 54,000, and lots-and-lots of rattles, buzzes, and squeaks.

And why did I not buy a Tundra? Well, in part again because of our experience with the Avalon. Our dealer isn't overly enthusiastic, either. But mainly because it seemed more time than not that when I took the Avalon in for service I see mostly Tundras in for service with brake, engine, transmission, vibration problems.

Each unit manufactured speaks for itself, not for the brand as a whole. Toyota's are probably better built than many other models, but they are not infallable. All Toyota models are not cast from the same stone. I don't think Toyota makes their trucks like they make a Camry.

Dusty
  • My first sensor went out at 49,000, couldn't afford to get it fixed so I left it alone. when I had to get it inspected it wouldn't pass so had to put out 200+ and the 50.00 inspection fee plus had to drive for a couple of days to get the engine lite to go off for the mechanic. I also took my Tundra in at around 30,000 and told the dealer that the steering wheel would vibrate really bad when I was using the brakes to slow down.They said they couldn't get it to do it so they didn't fix it. it is still doing that and its out of warranty now. Also when I took the truck in for the o2 sensor, i was having a really bad transmission problem, every once in a while it would sound like i hit a huge hole or something, they couldnt get it to do it again either, after that it hasnt done it again for me either????
    NOW, the second sensor has gone out, 1 month after the first one was fixed. I am a single woman and on limited income this really sucks. I have driven toyotas since i was 16, and the last two a camry (bought new) and the tundra is a major disappointment. Calling the 800 number tomorrow.
2»
This discussion has been closed.