Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan

rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
300+ HP 5.6L DOHC, 5-speed automatic, up to 9400 pounds towing, 17" & 18" tires, sprayed-in bedliner, rear fender storage, etc.

Very impressive & great looking, to boot!

http://www.autonews.com/files/2003_detroit/nissan/titan/

Bob

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    great looking?

I think it looks hideous. Did the aztec design team get fired and move to nissan?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    and I can't believe they strayed from that concept truck to make something that looks like an oversized frontier. The numbers look good as far as capacity for towing, torque and HP. The Frontier isn't exactly the best selling compact truck. Surely they couldv'e figured that out. Can't be the same design team as the G35 and 350Z could it?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    Can you say "Nissan family-look"? As to good vs bad styling: You'll never get anywhere near 100% agreement on this. One man's passion is another man's poison. As to me, I like the looks a lot.

Beyond that, I predict this vehicle will be everything that the Tundra isn't. Larger. Much more powerful. No question as to it being a full-size pickup. And yes, great looks (IMO).

Bob
  • the new Dodge Rams! But somebdoy needs to tell Nissan (and GM) to do away with plastic molding. They ruined the tailgate with that molding around the handle, IMO.
    5.6L 300+ HP aluminum-block DOHC engine, standard. 5-speed automatic, standard. 9400 pounds towing capability. Available in both King Cab and Crew Cab (no regular cab!). 285/70x17 tires & 265/70x 18 tires available, with 245/75x17 standard. Factory-applied sprayed-in bedliner. Many bed accessories, and features. Fender storage, and the list goes on...

Don't know actual dimensions, or GVW/payload yet. My guess is that size-wise, it will match the Detroit trucks, unlike the Tundra.

Bob
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    I agree with those that think the Titan is not the prettiest truck ever seen. In fact, someone mentioned that black thing around the handle of the tailgate. That style treatment looks out-of-place, awkward, unbalanced, "Frontier-ish," if you like. Pretty close to moderately ugly, to my eye.

The rest of the truck, with its angular styling cue doesn't take kindly to my eyes either, but in all fairness it is not the extreme angular, flat-paneled, plastic toy-like look of the Avalanche (should be called "Hurlmylunch") or the hideous looking Aztec. Both of these vehicles are among a cadre of recent designs that have managed to displace the '61 Plymouth as the ugliest car of all time award.

Now keep in mind that despite my opinion some mind find the two aforementioned vehicles good looking or even pretty. And they wouldn't be wrong, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

We all know that Nissan has a tendency to be a little quirky at times. Nissan is probably the only car manufacturer to ever run a series of car ads without ever showing a car! Not spectacularly brilliant, in my opinion. The Exterra styling is not overwhelmingly received, either. But, Nissan rarely mis-executes a design from an engineering standpoint. They make quality products most of the time. Efficient, reliable, and durable. Sure they have a few problems, but comparatively far less than most of their competition. And I say that as a Toyota Avalon owner.

I admit to having more conservative tastes, at least in cars and trucks. I think that the '93 Sentra that I just sold was and still is a very good looking design, and I know others agree. But the Titan look is not so severe as to turn me off. The Avalanche and Aztec DO turn me off.

If I had to bet, my money would be on the guess that the first year of the Titan there will be less design, component, and assembly related problems than a Avalanche or Aztec in the last year of production. Besides, the inside is where I drive a vehicle from and I don't see the outside of the vehicle from that vantage point. And maybe I'm a little different, too, in that I don't buy $25 - $30,000 vehicle to impress or enamour my friends or nieghbors.

Nissan, like any other manufacturer, has their own styling philosophy. I sometimes wonder what that is, exactly, but it is their own and they are not afraid to make a styling statement. How refreshing!

And, it could've been worse, as they say.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • goes to it being ugly. I like Nissan's having owned two Maxima's, but what are they thinking with this one????
    takes some getting used to. I bet, once these Titans are on the road for a while, they will look very ordinary.

Anybody remember how everybody hated the Dodge Ram, when it came out with that (radical) Kenworth front end a few years back. Today, most people like the way Dodge trucks look. It just takes time to get used to the looks...

Bob
    Still hate the Dodge look. And a big Frontier don't work either. Well, for Nissan's sake I hope I'm wrong. Now if it looked more like a Hardbody.......
    one man's passion, is another man's poison...

Bob
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I like Nissans. I owned a 1998 Frontier and liked the styling.
    That said, the Titan is just UGLY.
    Function over form in this case.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    I disagree.
    Do people find Azteks pretty now that they've been out for a while?
  • crv16crv16 Posts: 205
    Full specs at http://www.nissanusa.com.

Size wise, same as a F-150. I think it looks pretty good. And this is coming from someone who dislikes the appearance of the entire Nissan lineup.

It specs out pretty good. They're looking to sell 100k per year, and I don't think they'll have a hard time doing it.

• Finally!! One of the import companies got it right with a full size pickup!! GOOD JOB NISSAN!! I agree with the above statement that the Titan is. "everything the Tundra is not" It is bigger and more powerful. It will actually compete with the F-150, 1500 Chev/GMC and Ram 1500!! Sign me up for one (if I needed a truck!)!! I love the design!!

Once again, good job Nissan!! Can't wait for the comparo's to begin!!

Obi
    http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/83142/page043.html

I couldn't agree more: "The Nissan Titan is now the one to beat. Innovative features abound and Nissan pulled no punches in developing this real ground-breaking full-size truck."

I only wish the 4WD had a full-time mode too. Other than that, it's about perfect. I can't wait to see the crew cab version.

Bob

"I think it looks pretty good. And this is coming from someone who dislikes the appearance of the entire Nissan lineup."

You don't like the looks of the 350Z or the Frontier?
  • jeff186jeff186 Posts: 95
    I wonder how concerned the Big 3 are now that Japan Inc. has zeroed on on the sole cash cow for the US auto industry -- the full-sized pickup. The T100 was a half-hearted attempt as is the Tundra. The Titan looks good to me and the ebgine specs are just plain awesome. Betcha Nissan hits their 100,000 unit/year target.
  • Granted this truck seems to have some great advancements and would be a great vehicle...It looks like and Aztec crossed with a Frontier! It makes the Avalanche sexy! I was expecting better from Nissan because I really like many of their new cars (Z, Maxima, Altima, even the Frontier).
  • sgtjimsgtjim Posts: 13
    The specs say that it has a stylish dash with 6 gauges.
    The picture is difficult to see if they include an ampmeter and Oil pressure as well as Temp and Fuel.
    Can anyone tell me? I insist on full instrumentaion
    and everyone is trying to get away with Fuel and Temp
    in the cars and SUV's.