Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan

Comments

• Yes, I tried three dealerships, which was difficult enough since the closest one was 75 miles away. So each issue I had with my Nissan Titan was a least a 150 mile drive. And twice getting stranded in the middle of now where, where there is no cell phone coverage isn't fun either. First dealership said I was a lair and didn't even look at my truck. Second dealership said all trucks and SUV makes brake noise. Third dealership said just to trade it in and we will give you $2500 off MSRP for a new one. They wouldn't even acknowledge the fault light I had on the vehicle, which just needed re programed. So, I had no choice but to take it to Midas where he showed by the warped rotors and dull brake pads. Furthermore, it is illegal for a franchise dealership not to accept warranty work, and the issue is if they acknowledge a repair after the third attempt it becomes a lemon. However by not accepting it it breaks federal law, the Magnuson-Moss Act. I even made complaints to Nissan Customer Service but never heard back.
  • I have also wondered about the paint. I have an 05 Titan, white. I couldn't believe the chips clear down to the metal. And the scratches by the door handles, you would think I have claws, and big rings on every finger. Shortly after I got my truck I had an accident. I was hit on the corner front bumper. That piece had to be replaced. A few weeks later, I was washing my truck and seen where the paint was just flaking off in big chunks. They fixed it. Let me know what you find out. I am curious as to what they will say.
  • robnaorobnao Posts: 29
    Did anyone else see the news story about Honda having lost a law suit that claims the odometer on several models was reading more miles than were actually being driven? It was affecting warranty coverage, get's the company out of coverage sooner. It affected over 6 million vehicles sold from 2002-2006. All of the owners will get cash or an extended warranty. Apparently, at the post trial press brief a lawyer fro Honda said the Nissan Altima does the same thing, adds up the miles too quickly. Now, I am not sure this wasn't a comment to cast doubt where there was none, but it might be worth while to check our Titans to make sure the odometers are adding the miles up correctly. I saw the story on FOX News.
  • There is definitely a paint problem. Our daughter purchased a red alert titan which within 6 months started chipping, we have gone rounds with nissan and arbitration with BBB. They claimed it was rail dust but we had 3 body shops (including a nissan bs) and a paint expert look at it. The chips where inside the doors, tailgate and under the bug deflector which was installed by the dealer upon purchase. It is contamination under the paint which causes it to pop, through arbitration we have to at least give nissan a chance to fix the problem so it is at the shop being taken apart and stripped to bare metal and re painted. But we all know this will depreciate the truck signifactly. If you check into it the dealer will only tell you that it is not a factory fault. But if more know about this situation then maybe we can get nissan to acknowledge their Mississippi plant has a problem
    Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure I couldn't be the only one with a problem like this. I have also taken it to a paint shop and some of the blisters are still partially or completely intact. I am sure I will have the same fight, but at least we can add fuel to each others fire.
  • Has anyone ever tried any performance mods on their Titan? I see a few on ebay like "increase horsepower by 36+", "increase MPG", etc. They are very cheap to purchase but I noticed on some of the feedback it says that it is basically a paper clip to do the mod. I was just curious if anyone else has tried this and had any luck or is it just something that sounds too good to be true?

Example ebay item #: 290093044972
  • I am having the same problem with my 2005 red alert color titan. Rock chips started showing up after about 6 months, now are all over the hood, side, roof etc, all down to the primer, and a couple down to the metal, and I slightly tapped my fender with a piece of pipe which cause another chip, which in normal conditions shouldn't have even scratched it. These are not normal rock chips, you can tell that the paint isnt sticking to the primer, and its just flaking off. I am working with Nissan currently to see if they will re-paint my truck. I have also had quite a few "quality" issues as well. I've had to have the clock fixed, a full new break job, the drive shaft bolt retightened and loc-tited, the plastic where the seat belt hangs is badly worne, the plastic window trimming had to be re-glued, and the electric seat quit working at one point and had to be "reset" by the dealer. Mechanicly it's been very good, no complaints there, and I love the truck, I just wish the quality was a little better...
  • On the plastic trimming, I had on 2004, it it would warp, and once it starts happening it is difficult for the trim to stop popping out. There has been numerious compliants on this site about the paint. In terms of quality you just have to suck it up and buy an 2008, in which they solved all the quality problems, right guys? That is what I was told by Nissan and the people on this site. :lemon:
  • mick14mick14 Posts: 30
    I had Stillen longtube headers installed on mine about a month ago. Its said to have increased RWHP by 27+ or so. The mid-upper rpm torque/hp is amazing. Best bang for your buck IMO.Cost was $695 for headers and $425 for install.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Those headers for the 4x4 of 4x2?

-mike
  • mick14mick14 Posts: 30
    They are for my 4X4. They come with an O2 emulator box to defeat the catalytic convertors.
    If you have a paint chipping/peeling problem post about it here. The manufacturers do keep aware of the complaints on these sites and it will help others when they go to make a claim to show that others are having the same problem. I am still working through the process on mine.
  • I have filed a claim with the BBB Autoline, I should be going to mediation within the next 30 days. After I found out that it would be well over $5,000 to repaint my truck since the body shop required a complete paint strip due to bad primer or base coat causing the chipping, or else the refused to warranty their work. In my mind this proves a manufacture defect so I would encourage everyone with the same problem to also file a claim, since nissan refuses to repair the paint because they a hiding under the "rock chip" clause in their warranty.
  • Yeah, sounds like Nissan. Nissan is getting tougher on these cases because they lost 54% profit in the last quarterly earning statement. They've produced some poor products and customers are holding them accountable. My advice, having just gone through the BBB process with Nissan, is stay strong. Nissan will try every trick in the book to make a case go away. In my case they wouldn't enter into any serious settlement negotations until it was time to present their case during the arbitrition hearing, then we broke from the hearing and they settled on my terms. They had no choice because the BBB hearing actually becomes public record, and anyone could order the transcipts so if they presented a defense, any statement would be public record. I don't think Nissan wanted to address how my truck ended being repaired 30 times. They did call the night before the hearing to try to settle, however, I missed the call because my truck broke down. I had to arrange to tow it to the BBB hearing location.
  • ezblueezblue Posts: 4
    I do not have paint peeling problems, but the lack of. I have noticed that there are some light areas in the bed of my truck in some of the less obvious spots but not concerned since I've already scrathed the bed and plan on getting a spray in liner. The rest of my truck's paint is fine MJ blue, also have an 07 Quest same color no issues.
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    I own a 07 Frontier Nismo Crew, 6 months young, been all over with it, on-road, off-road, everything in between, one little swirl mark on the front fender where I ran by a broom bush. Not a chip or pit anywhere. Very happy thus far, expected nothing less. My baby brother has his 97 Nissan truck, his wife a 98 Pathfinder, my father a 93 Nissan Access, all great vehicles.
    I like the Majestic Blue, but decided on the Silver this last time, a little easier for me to keep it looking good.
    Both colors look sharp though.

Enjoy!
  • esengeesenge Posts: 1
    I have been having problems with the front right bumper cover since I bought my 06 Titan. I had about 6,000 miles on it when the paint started pealing off the plastic cover. I took it back to the dealership, They sent the cover out to be re painted. Now the paint is chipping and the clear coat is cracking. I again took it to the dealership, they inspected it and then told me that I hit something for it to crack like that. ( I would have had to hit into something 5 or 6 times for it to do that). I then called Nissan 1 of North America and explained the situation, after 2 weeks i got a call about an hour ago, Jessica from Nissan 1 told me basically that it is my problem. I do not see it that way. does anyone have advice for me? Oh and just to let everyone know the left bumper cover is perfect, no chips or cracking!!
  • akawadaakawada Posts: 3
    Go to www.clubtitan.org for more info on every type of Titan mod imaginable! If you've got $$$, Stillen has a supercharger.
  • My advice is go through the BBB (autoline). You can file a claim on their website www.bbb.org. Unfortunately, Nissan has some poor products and poor customer service which is probably why they saw a 54% drop in profit last quarter. When I was having brake problems Nissan treated me the same way whereas I was concerned about the safety of the vehicle. The service tech actually called me "a lair" and the manager's solution was to trade it in for a new one. So I took my Nissan to Midas to get a second opinion; then I used those documents for my arbitration case; along with the undisputed photos of the warped rotors and axle leaks. So the arbitrator forced Nissan to repurchase my truck for full retail price, occurred interest charges, registration fees, and maintenance fees. Guess I wasn't lying. However, the only thing I didn't get was an apology from Nissan.
  • haropharop Posts: 59
    SORRY, SORRY, SORRY...

I really do hope this will help you to move on. I do understand all the pain you went through, because I can simply think I could have been in your place and having all the problems. Of course I would have been mad and even may be more than you. But see, repeating the same story is really no help here. Please understand this. I also wish you to get something really more reliable, because I can feel second time it would be much harder. Good luck!

-haro
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,675
    ...on '08 models, 500 pounds.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2008/nissan/firstdrive/page1.html

Following specs from Nissan web site:

Maximum payload (pounds)

SWB 4x2: 2,013 (King Cab); 2,062 (Crew Cab)
    LWB 4x2: 1,725 (King Cab); 1,762 (Crew Cab)

SWB 4x4: 1,870 (King Cab); 1,914 (Crew Cab)
    LWB 4x4: 1,650 (King Cab); 1,852 (Crew Cab)

GVWs now up to 7000 – 7200 depending on model

Bob
  • Just went through BBB arbitration, and they declined my claim! they said I provided no proof that it was a defect, but I had a signed estimate from a body shop stating how they would not paint it because of a bad under coat, and thus they didn't want to be responsible for the warranty of the paint, and it required a full strip for $5300. Even had the paint tape test they did where they pulled off paint with masking tape! guess the BBB sides with the manufacture on these paint issues because is such a huge problem it would cost Nissan millions if they would have decided in my favor... whats next? class action?
  • carrie6carrie6 Posts: 2
    We just had my truck to the dealer yesterday complaining. We had washed my truck when I noticed all these little tiny rust spots ALL OVER the tail gate. The guy at the dealership went out and took some rubbing compound to them and did the "see they come right out!" bit. My husband has painted his share of cars and set him straight. He is getting us an appointment with a Nissan Rep. I don't see how they can deny all these complaints. It's not like I am just looking to have my truck painted for no reason!
  • Yes. Class Action. It obviously will take some time to resolve but more importantly, it holds manufacturers accountable and gets you compensation for your claim. You could try www.nissanlemonlaw.com. They specialize in Nissan claims and lemon laws & warranty acts. They will review the claim for free. You'll just have to be patient, these cases can take a year or longer.
  • It is just game theory. If I tell everyone no to a claim - there are some that give up. So, I have therefore reduced expenses in a legitmate claim saving me money. So stick to your guns and don't accept no as an answer.
  • adriciuadriciu Posts: 4
    Initially I thought I will be a singular voice complaining about the Nissan customer service. Unfortunately seems likes there is a pattern with this company. I have a Titan I bought in 2004. Of course, almost from the beginning I started having problems with the brakes, so in the end the truck was at the dealership three times, until I pass 12000 miles. After another 5000 miles the problem reoccurred, however, because of the distance to the nearest dealership I wasn’t able to take the car in for repairs (the service department requires one diagnostic visit, followed by the actual repair visit, during which a loaner car is not provided). Because the shaking became very annoying, last Friday (06.15.2007) I took the car finally to the service department of Nissan of Clovis dealership (where the car was for repairs before). There I was told that the car will not be repaired because is out of warranty for the brakes, and the extended warranty does not cover the pads. This was told to me despite the fact that the initial problem was never resolved. However the most embarrassing moment for the management of this dealership was the attitude of the service manager, who, during our conversation in his office, went on to tell me to shut up and listen to him. Also, when I asked to have the car brought back to me (the car was moved by the repair/service personnel) he told me to go take it from where I left it. Furthermore, when I said I’ll leave to go to the general manager, he started to tell that I cannot leave until he lets me do it.
    Because the General Manager wasn’t there I sent him a certified letter explaining what happened, and hoping at least for an answer that they received the letter. Didn’t happen. So now I plan of complaining with NTHS and maybe BBB.
  • gf2020gf2020 North of BostonPosts: 45
    Thought I would chime in with my experience. I have a 2004 Titan SE crew cab 4X4 that I purchased new in May 2005.

After 25 months and 35,000 miles of ownership I have nothing bad to say. My truck did develop the brake judder issues, as expected, and the warranty repair was performed at 17,000 miles.

It's been in the shop for a couple of recall items and I just received a notice for a recall on the rear center seat belt so I'll get it back in the shop for that, but other than that - no problems. I even got 30,000 miles out of the original Goodyear Wrangler tires before replacing them!

I've loaned the truck to a few friends for weekend errands and to my brother-in-law for a month when he was without a car, and everyone comes back grinning from ear to ear from the great power and comfortable ride.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one!
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    That is good to hear! I talk to many, many, drivers along the road, and I have never heard one negative remark regarding the Titan.
    I own an 07 Frontier Nismo 4x4 Crew, great truck! Not an issue, don't expect it. It's put the fun back into driving.

Safe travels!
  • ROTFL @ DRIVER56. Have you read all the posts on Edmunds about the Nissan Titan, and have never read a negative comment about the Nissan Titan, too?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Hehe...back from sabbatical I see.