Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Aerio Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have had the same problem with my 2002 Aerio at about 15,000 miles. I went to the dealer and wanted to replace it with the same Yokohama tires that the car came with it. Instead, I went to a Walmart, and they replaced it with Bridgestone tires and at 70,000 miles, i have had absolutely no problems with the tires. The other only problem I had with the car was the the keyless entry system which was replaced under warranty.
  • No, I'm not being too harsh. People who don't maintain their cars are their own worst enemies. Tires do need rotation. Oil needs changing. Antifreeze and other liquids need checking along with, for tires, air pressure. Anybody who doesn't notice that their rear tires are going bald until they are bald or they go pop are really unlikely to be checking air pressure, which means they probably have 20 lbs or less in the tires. On rear tires on a modern FWD car, or even AWD, there is usually so little weight that the tires will not look unusual at that pressure, but they will wear unusually. And, the AWD will just about tear the tire apart.

No, you don't have to be a nervous Nelly about maintenance, but you better do some, or your car will be an early casualty. Front tires do receive different forces than rear tires, especially on an AWD car, so rotate the darn things at least every 5,000 miles. The only company that has AWD for passenger cars really figured out for full-time use is Subaru, so next time, get a Forester if you just have to get AWD. The FWD Suzuki is just fine, get's better gas mileage, is easier on tires, costs less in repairs, and is better in almost every respect than an AWD version.

Anybody who has to drive through snow on roads knows that FWD works better than AWD, even with all the slip sensors. Snow piles up and strongly impedes the front wheels. Any push at all from the rear will bring the rear around. The very best handling vehicles were the early Subarus and Toyotas that could be shifted on the fly into 4WD for start ups and slow downs, and run in FWD along the road.
  • Dear All, I have been reading for a while now about people complaining that they have to rotate their tires. Do you change your oil? Do you use your turn-signal when you change directions? Do you take a bath at least once a week?

Rotating tires is basic "car 101". Rotate em every time you change oil (between 3 & 5 thousand miles) and your tires will typically go twice the advertised mileage. This, ofcourse, based on proper inflation, balance and alignment.

I have had my 2006 Aerio premium (2WD) since July and have already put 20,000 miles on her. By the way, the tires still look new. She is comfortable, quick, responsive, sure footed, quite and has a great radio. My only complaint is I can't buy anything to boost performance from Suzuki or the aftermarket.

Regularly rotate your tires and regularly take a bath. You will be happier. :blush:
  • We know rotation is important, but not doing so before 12K should NOT make rear tires completely bald! Come on! Problem is NOT lack of tire rotation, but is a suspension issue. Why keep focusing on tire rotation and igoring obvious suspension problem with this car? Me thinks perhaps you are somehow connected to Suzuki?
    And, to say that FWD is better than AWD in the snow is not our experience at all. Owned 3 FWD's (Olds 98's)previously, and NONE of them came close to the way our Audi A6 quattro AWD handles in the snow. Your comments puzzle me...
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 124
    Today, one or more (but I hope it is one!) of my power locks makes a loud whirring noise upon locking or unlocking the vehicle.

Has anyone had such a problem? Did a fix involve simply oiling something, or replacing entire power lock units?

-d
  • logmgrlogmgr Posts: 39
    Sounds to me like a part will need replaced...I hope you have it covered under warranty b/c it may be a bit costly.
  • No, I don't work for Suzuki, but your need to blame a dealer for your own problem is more than a bit bizarre. Tires on AWD cars usually only last 24-30k because of the extra wear involved, so you're telling me that not rotating the tire for half of it's expected life is not going to cause major problems. I also did note that there is an alignment problem with the Suzuki, which can be fixed with an aftermarket solution. Also, any idiot that thinks an Olds 98 with ten tons over the front wheels is any kind of comparison to a normal front wheel drive car is not too bright. Those old V8 FWD's from GM wore out tires faster than any Suzuki ever could, but they could punch a drift. The Cadillac version was a major tank in heavy drifts in New Mexico, but if it got into deep, compacted snow, it was a goner because of it's weight. All of those also had major mechanical problems, as the internal design of the FWD was very inefficient and primitive. A Quattro handles great ON compacted snow or ice, because of the distribution of drive, but no car with rear wheel drive of any kind does well when driving into snow that is clumping in front of the front wheels. That is what you get when you are driving in actively snowing conditions. The front wheels are slowed disproportionately while clearing a path for the rear wheels, and the rear wheels cannot help but push the tail end around a bunch, even with traction control. Of course, if you can afford the Olds 98 FWD or the Audi Quattros with their usual price tags and monstrous repair bills, I can't imagine what you are doing with a Suzuki of any kind, much less complaining about the paltry repair bills.

Again, if you let tires go completely bald before you catch them, there is little that anybody is going to be able to do for you. I can't afford to neglect my cars in that manner, and my girls know that if they were to let that happen to their cars, they wouldn't get much sympathy from me. Sounds to me like you have too much money and too little sense. You expect to buy a car costing less than a half of either of the other cars you name, and have it perform exactly like them. Reminds me of an oft quoted definition of insanity...doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting something different to happen.
  • Wow, that your picture in the dictionary under"nasty" or what? You must get great satisfaction here, so I won't bother to feed your ego. Have a nice life!
  • Yes, and there are whiners on every forum who are unwilling to do the least thing to solve their own problems. More than a few people on here have actually rotated their tires and paid attention to their vehicles, and they certainly have legitimate gripes. I have noted my own problems with my Suzuki, which required some persistence on my part to have fixed. So far, I have found no dealers of any brand of car who have volunteered to make expensive fixes without good documentation of a problem. Yes, and many of them do just put you off by accusing you of usually not doing things that they think you should have done. The answer to that is to do the required scheduled maintenance and document it. If you have done that, you have a perfect right to complain, and should do so until they right the problem. If you have given your child a car and expect the dealer to act as their parent in dealing with the car, you are expecting way too much of the dealer.

If you really want to do something useful, you could work for laws that require manufacturers to publish technical bulletins at no cost to the consumer. Suzuki gives very poor access to their technical bulletins, and the only meaningful way in which you can search such bulletins is if you pay Suzuki way too much money for the privilege. I am no fan of most manufacturers or dealers, but I do know that I have to do my part for any car to last in the way that I would like it. If I do my part, and the car does not last, then I will have legitimate cause for complaint.
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 124
    Well, I can attempt to pass off the part as a component of the power train. Does anyone know a hypnotist? ;-)

Thanks.

-d
  • mesxmesx Posts: 7
    I had the same issue with one of my door lock mechanism and it was replaced under warranty..... only took 4 months to get the part........... Also had 6 tires go bald in 15,000 miles, even after 3 alignments at two different facilities..... maybe I should have rotated them every week?
    Gave up on the piece of junk as nobody was able to fix the tire problem....... The 1986 Toyota Corolla I bought to replace it, has already given me more trouble free miles than that 2005 AWD Aerio every did
  • my first 03 has something done to it that not only makes it handle better, but keeps the tires in line, and makes them last much longer... a very wize old school mechanic (70+yrs old) took one look at the [non-permissible content removed] end and tire wear , made the following observations:
    no adjustment in the control arms in the rear, the camber is not adjustable and the tires will wear out excessively..

the fix? got the car in the air, removed the control arm rods
    CUT THEM, made them adjustment links (looks somewhat like a turnbuckle) and replaced the rods.. ok 20K miles later and the tires still have the "nubbies" on them and should last 50K miles maybe more! my other 03 had the same problem, and the his first fix was to heat the rods, and bend them up at the center about 1 inch while on the alignment rack. this car has 75k miles and second set of tires (first set lasted 15k miles)
    and now thes have 50k and are still in great shape...
    my question to suzuki, if you guys are so friggin smart, why cant you build parts tha are adjustable and right the first time??? you can learn a lot from an older person
  • Maybe you all can help me out a little...

I have an '03 Aerio sedan and up until recently, the car has been FANTASTIC. Now...not so much.

Basically, anytime I turn my headlights on, the indicator lights inside the car either turn off or flash, and the gas pedal stops responding. Then I turn the lights off, and everything is fine, unless of course I try to drive in the dark, haha. As long as the lights are off, the car runs great and I have no problems.

I was hoping someone would have an idea as to what's wrong, and could maybe give me an estimate on cost to fix it. I am a sophomore in college, and BEYOND poor at this point...definitely can't afford for the car to break on me.

Has anyone ever heard of problems like this?
  • What's weirder is that you have owned your Aerio for so long, and do not understand the way your headlights work. They are always on when the handbrake is off. It sounds as if the voltage regulator in your alternator is not providing sufficient voltage to drive the system. This normally results in the battery not being charged sufficiently to start the car, but the Aerio is very easy to start, so I suppose it is possible that your car could continue to work. On the other hand, there could be a short in one of the various running lights that only come on when the headlight switch is turned on.
  • Ha, sorry, I understand how they work...I realize that the headlights stay on all the time, but the backlights, and the indication lights inside the car do not. When I turn those on, that's when I lose the functionality of the car. When it first started acting like this, I took it to someone who wanted to replace my entire transmission since it wasn't being engaged properly. That seemed a little outrageous. That's why I'm asking.
    I agree with rarchimedes ......sounds like an electrical/charging system problem.
    May be that the battery needs replaced, or else the alternator.
    Have the charging system checked.
    Many auto parts stores will do this for free....especially the larger ones like Advance.
  • The cheapest things to check would be the various running lights that turn on when the lights are turned on. Just remove them. The system should warn you, but if your big problem goes away, you will know that is the problem. Also, examine the wires in the area around those lights. They may be pinched, grounded, or crossed. If the problem is with the indicator lights in the cab, you have a more difficult and expensive problem that you are unlikely to be able to deal with yourself.
  • brenbren Posts: 24
    All of a sudden my wagon's rear hatch won't open. The part on the rear that you grip and squeeze together to open the hatch seems to be 'seized' -- it's squeezed together and won't release... but the hatch won't open. I can just imagine... 2 hours of labor at $100 per hour + $175 worth of parts to fix it. :mad:

Also, it's pretty common belief/knowledge that the Yokohama Geolandars that came standard on our Aerios are not so great. I had to replace them at 26,000 miles. However, I guess the Geolandars actually have NO treadlife warranty. Ironically, I replaced mine with 80,000 mile warranty Yokohama Avid Touring tires. After 26,000 they are almost worn out, too! That's only 1/3 of the supposed treadlife! I'm getting new tires tomorrow, and I hope that Yokohama will honor the tire warranty so that I can get a new set of tires at a major discount.

One other issue I've had is when my air conditioning is in use and I turn right, I hear squealing that sounds like a belt. I actually had a Suzuki dealer look into it back when my car was under still under warranty, but of course they didn't hear it despite the fact that it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME. :P
    I would guess that parts/labor on that hatch would run about 200-250. I had a similiar problem on my Toyota.

Can't help you on the tire issue...only have 4600 miles on mine, but I did notice a hard thumping when starting out in the cold until they warm up...very strange to me.

The noise is most likely P/S belt needs adjusted/replaced...you can try spraying some belt lube on it.

YES, I am finding out the hard way that the infamous Suzuki
    warranty is not worth crap.
  • Suzuki's warranty is not the problem. It's the car dealers themselves. They will find every excuse not to honor the warranty.