Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Aerio Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I'm late to this post, but the car bucking problem is very unlikely to be the clutch, it is most likely a fuel delivery problem or an ignition problem this is something you should take to the dealer and let them drive it and research it until they discover the problem, I say this because the car could fail on you at a really poor time. Anyone who's ever driven a slipping clutch knows how it feels, the car wouldn't so much buck as it would just begin to slow down, but the engine would sound constant or begin to rev especially in 5th gear. Bucking as harsh as what you mention usually only happens when you reach the rpm cut off. And again, at 55 mph in 5th gear this wouldn't be really violent. Sadly as with most things these days you will probably have a hard time finding a dealership or mechanic that will take the time to work with you to resolve the problem, you'll have to be persistent to get a dealer/mechanic to work with you. These kinds of problems scare me, I currently own a 2000 grand vitara which has been pretty reliable - I'm seriously considering an Areio - or the new Chevrolet Malibu (very sweet) Anyway hope some of this information helps.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I think you are right and I appreciate the insight. However, I cut my losses months ago and got rid of the Aerio. I traded it in on an 03 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 back in April and even though I lost 5k, I'm extremely happy with my choice. The Tiburon has been a much better car than the Aerio. Better built, smoother, quieter, more refined, etc. Over 6k on the car so far and it has been trouble free, something I couldn't say about the Aerio. Suzuki really needs to inject some refinement in this car. It's embarrassing up against other cars in the same price range.
  • If you go to the European message boards for past Suzuki's you find a huge number of manual transmission failures. Americans buy automatic trans so much I wonder if we hardly hear if the weakness?
  • If that's the case, then I hope that the tranny fails before the warranty expires.
  • We have a Suzuki Aerio that has been in the dealership's shop Weeks over the last year. It is always for the transmission; 5th gear pops out & has to be held in to stay. They've "fixed" it 3 times...going in tonight for 4th run.

We only have the one Suzuki dealership near. Does anyone know how to contact someone higher up on the food chain to see if this car can be repaired/replaced? I looked on their website & couldn't find a contact section. Thank you in advance.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    I've asked internally if we have this information (toll-free number or something). I'll post when I hear back.

Have you check the owner's manual? Many times the national customer service number or contact info is located there.
    They have a web page about how to contact them http://www.suzukiauto.com/my_suzuki/contact_us.php

Their listed 800 number is 800- 854-1594
  • MY 2002 SUZUKI AEROI SX HAS JUST PAST THE 34,000 MILE MARK AND NOW HAS 2 RECURRING PROBLEMS. THE THERMOSTAT FAILS IN THE OPEN POSITION. THIS CUTS ON THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT AND WILL NOT LET ENGINE COME TO CORRECT TEMPERATURE. THE DRIVE AXLE HAS COME OUT OF THE TRANSMISSION AND LEFT ME ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD 2 TIMES. BOTH TIMES AT 4 AM. THE DEALER 250 MILES FROM MY HOME HAS FIXED (THEY THOUGHT) TWICE. NOW THEY SAY A REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSION IS NEEDED AND DON'T KNOW WHY THERMOSTAT KEEPING FAILING.
    I'm sure someone will come along to help with your issue. In the meantime, could you not post in ALL CAPS? It's the same as yelling.

Many thanks.
  • The dealer replaced the transmission and axle clip. The thermostat recurring problem was caused by dealer installing thermostat that was for different model Suzuki.( He did not have correct unit instock the 1th time. All working ok now.
  • If this has happened over three times and the car has less than 12 thousand miles I would imagine that the Lemon law would be in order. In Illinois after you have started the process the company has one last shot to fix it then you get a new car or money back. The Fifth gear problem is talked about on the European sites. I had hoped that Suzuki had beefed up the manual for U.S. models but it doesn't look like it. This seems to be the only real problem they talk about. engines seem to be very strong.
  • Owners book says, oil change every 7,500 miles. Dealer put sticker on car to change oil at 3,000 miles after my 1st oil change. Did he use wrong oil or is manual wrong ? I really like my aerio wagon , want to keep it in good running order.
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 124
    The oil change interval is dependent on your driving style, per the Suzuki manual. Take a look at the recommended maintenance portions of the manual, and see which interval fits your situation.

I do not have the impression that Suzuki did very much research in the type of oil change interval that should apply to their engines. A 3k mile interval seems to be a standard industry figure applied to many types of car engines, regardless of manufacturer. Nissan, for example, seems to break the mold by recommending an oil change on their current Sentras every ~4k miles ("severe" service).

-d
  • I've had my 2004 Aerio SX AWD for about 2 weeks. So far, I love the car but I do have one complaint. When I go over bumps, I can hear a subtle clunk coming from the front end. It's not that loud, but it's there. Sometimes I can also feel the clunk throught the floorboards. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a normal occurance with the Aerio suspension or should I bring the car in to the dealer to have it checked out?
  • generaltso, if you are not happy with the clunk type noise,by as means take it in and have it looked at. I have a 2003 SX with 21000km. I have no clunking issues at all.
  • I think I'll have it checked out. From what I can tell, nobody else has noticed this problem with their Aerio, so I'm thinking something's not right with mine. Thanks!
  • FACTORY SET WHEEL SPEED CONTROLS A LOT OF THINGS ON A VECHILE. PUTTING TALLER TIRES/WHEELS OR SMALLER WILL AFFECT THIS. NORMALY NOT A BIG DEAL. BUT NOT ON AERIO. SUZUKI MADE WHEEL SPEED INPUT A BIG DEAL ON THIS MODLE. NOT HAVEING THE RIGHT SIZE WHEELS/TIRES WILL SCREW UP EVERYTHING FROM ABS/SPEEDO,ALL WHEEL DRIVE,TRANS SHIFTING,EVEN THE AIR CONDITIONER IS CONTROLED BY WHEEL SPEED. SO THANK THEM FOR ANOTHER GREAT IDEA
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Turn of your CAPS LOCK key.
  • Bigfrog,who the heck fed you that info. I belong to an Aerio owner group. Many members have put on bigger wheels. some up to 17". Some have gone to a taller tire with the shock rims. The only thing put out is the speedo,which will have to 100% of every car and truck out there. The AWD will be affected if you only change two wheels. The trans shift,very slightly. Not enough that you would notice on dat to day driveing. The A/C cannot possibly be affected. Many members have even put on an under drive pulley for the crank and the a/c is fine. How do you think the a/c could possibly be affected? Do you think the a/c turns off when the car is sitting and idleing?
  • Well bigfrog you may work for suzuki and have all that info in that big book of yours. But sorry dude I have the facts and have seen the cars. Heres a couple to check out.
    http://www.hometown.aol.com/kipchiang/myhomepage/profile.html
    http://aeriostyle.com/fullsize/63_468.jpg