Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Aerio Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks but it's not the glass. If you reach over and just put your hand on the black fabric above the are rest on the passanger door, the buzzzzz stops. You don't have to push, just the weight of your hand stops it. I have a service comming up. I think I will see if they can do anything.
  • logmgrlogmgr Posts: 39
    I have an 06 and it does the same thing...only around 1800 RPM and 42MPH.....the dealere called Suzuki and they told him that I should drive with the overdrive off until 45 MPH....sounds stupid to me....but that is what they said.
    Ok...get ready for this...the dealer said it was something in the torque converter and called Suzuki.....they said I should drive it with the overdrive OFF until 45 MPH...sounds
    totally stupid to me....why else is there an on/off button.
    I can see turning it off when decending a steep hill; but around town ???? Makes no sense to me.
  • I have news. Now, on both my daughter's car and on mine, all the elements of the 5th gear have been replaced, mine for the second time, and now, the problem has disappeared for both of us. Persistence and having a service boss with a conscience helps. With my new tires and the transmission fix, I hope that I am good for 150,000 miles. Other than that problem, my Aerio SX has been a fun car that gets decent gas mileage. I would be perfectly happy if it had slightly less horsepower so I could get even better gas mileage. My 1994 Neon had only the 132 hp in a 2 liter, and that was more than enough. If this one was detuned by about 10 hp, it would be perfect for my purposes.
    Yeah, the MPG could do better....I have an 05 Cobolt with a 2.2 engine that gets 34 or better in a split between highway/city...I think the SX fuel economy is brought down by the all wheel drive. My Aero gets around 28 now.
  • Let me share with you my experiences with a 2003 Aerio SX 5 speed. It just passed 240,000 Kms (150,000 miles) today.

I remember the Saturday morning in November 2002 I picked up my new silver 2003 Aerio SX hatch back from the Suzuki dealer. Right off the dealers lot I noticed a strong shaking in the front suspension whenever I stepped on the brakes. So after only 8 Kms (less than 5 miles) I’m back at the dealer sitting in the service department. The verdict.... both front discs are warped and require replacement. It seems this little problem wasn’t noticed during the pre-delivery inspection.

A few weeks later the “check engine” light comes on. A sensor in the fuel tank has failed. The gas tank is removed and the sensor replaced.

A few weeks later, the front brakes are now making a grinding sound. So, it’s back to the local Suzuki dealer and new and improved shims are installed. They almost fix the noise issue. A set of Wagner “Thermo Quiet” pads solve the problem.

It’s now the spring of 2003. During a warm spring day I noticed what sounded like engine pinging. The dealer thinks its engine pinging too. The head technician calls Suzuki Canada for a fix. They claim is an odd problem. I check on the Internet. After a little research I discover that it's a common complaint about 2003 Suzuki Aerio. Cures range from better gas (mid grade or super) to retarding the initial engine advance. To this day the engine pings whenever the temperature is above 15 C (59 degrees Fahrenheit).

The service technician at Brantford Suzuki (where the car was now being serviced) should be awarded a medal for his persistence in trying to resolve this problem. The engine was opened twice and the accumulated carbon removed. This fixed the problem for a week or so … then the pinging returns.

During normal oil change visits, other items were changed under warranty. The entire remote entry system (control unit and 2 key fobs) was replaced. It has since failed again. Both left and right front steering knuckles and bearings were replaced. The left front bearing is replaced again a year later after it fails. At this point the warranty is over… let the real fun begin.

Popping sounds from the front suspension is fixed with after-market urethane bushings installed on the front anti-sway bar.

The driver’s side drive shaft falls out of the transmission. Splines are sheared, fragments of metal are removed from the transmission (manual), and damaged differential gears are replaced. Total cost in parts and labour: $1,500.00.

Six months later, the exact same thing happens again. I did a little research on the Internet and discover that Suzuki USA has a technical service bulletin out on this very problem. (TSB No. TS 02 06284) It’s not an isolated occurrence as Suzuki Canada claims. I called the service managers of a dozen Suzuki and ex-Suzuki dealers in Southern Ontario. Suzuki Canada isn’t telling me the whole truth. Most report at least one. The local Suzuki dealer has had three (including mine). It should be noted that, according to the dealers, the 5-speed manual isn’t as popular as the automatic in Canada. So, this could explain how there seems to be less of an occurrence here than in the USA.

I’m not happy with the prospect of paying another $1,500.00. After some frank and open discussions with Suzuki Canada (can you say lawyer?) and the support of a truly excellent dealer. Suzuki agrees to replace the transmission, and inside CV joint with new parts. I pay the labour.

The rear tires develop a significant negative camber problem. The local Suzuki dealer doesn’t have a clue on how to fix this one. It seems the brain trust at Suzuki Japan has built a car with NO REAR WHEEL CAMBER ADJUSTMENT. The rear tires are wearing VERY quickly and there’s a significant amount of rear wheel push in the turns. An inexpensive “cam bolt” available through the Online after-market vendors solves the problem. Suzuki Canada also issues new alignment specs including wheel camber (figure that one out) for the 2003 model year.

Both gas struts that hold the hatchback open fail (loudly) within days of each other. Replacement is $130.00 each! No after-maket units are available….

The clock and temp gauge lights fail so it can only be read in daylight. Replacement $130.00

A fog light is broken by a rock. Replacement $ 130.00. See a theme here?

The drivers side door lock packs it in. I find a replacement at the local recycler (scrap yard)
    Whew ! That is a lot of difficulties in 150 K.But was glad to see that at least it held up for 150K.How is it doing now ?
  • I'm with logmgr on this one. Even if you total up all those repairs, that's pretty good for a car that has gone 240,000 km's. Now, I admit my SX is not the 4wd version, which certainly will have certain problems that the fwd version does not, but that car would meet the requirements for lemon law replacement in most of the US. Beyond the tendency to spit out of 5th gear, now repaired on their dollar, I have seen no particular problems in my 34,000 miles with this vehicle.
    My Aerio SX..AWD...only has 3000 miles on it but the only complaint I have is the torque converter shutter around 43 MPH and 1800 RPM....the dealer called Suzuki and they advised to run with the overdrive off in that range...stupid
    in my opinion...My Corolla has 312K on it and has an OD on/off button and I never had to drive it with the OD off at intermediate speeds.
  • Every time I read one of these messages, I have this urge to wonder out loud why anyone in their right mind would want an AWD car. Ninety percent of the advantage of AWD is found in FWD. When those rear wheels start pushing, most of what happens in bad conditions is bad. The only real use of AWD is to distribute excess horsepower to more drive wheels. The Aerio really doesn't and can't qualify in that aspect, so the AWD is mainly a cause of reduced mileage for gas, tires, etc., and reduction of the overall life of the car. Now, as to that shudder, the Aerio engine has a little crowhop surge to it at low speeds in any case. Since I have a standard transmission, I can either gas it or put in the clutch to stop the problem, but the problem is there. The problem is an oversensitive throttle response, which could probably be resolved by loading a different profile into the engine chips, but nobody has offered one of which I am aware.
    Thanks for the informative reply.
  • mesxmesx Posts: 7
    I bought a 2005 Aerio AWD from Brantford Suzuki ..... while I was initially impressed with the service I received , as I continually brought it back for repairs, it was eventually replaced by extreme disappointment and disgust in Suzuki. I had the following happen in 15 mnths of ownership and 27,000 kms
    -front sway bar bushings fell out 4 times before finally getting a permanent fix.
    -styrofoam on rear bumper (under outer plastic) fell off and was never repaired properly.
    -Viscous coupling for AWD was defective and had to be repaired.
    -Lower control arm bolts came loose and almost fell out...that had to be fixed by myself because of the dealerships refusal to acknowledge the clunking noise in the front end.
    -power door lock failed and took 4 mths to get the part.
    -had 8 tires destroyed after 3 alignments at 2 different places
    -It rattled and shook from the day I drove it off the lot.

My disgust in the incompetence of Suzuki Canada's morons lead me to persue CAMVAP...(Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Process). Little did I know it is funded by the manufactures who participate in it, as a result it is a useless "fast, friendly and free" process designed to strip you of you rights too go to court (were you are likely to win) After repairing the piece of crap several times after I lost arbitration....(Suzuki convinced the arbitrator, that all the defects were inherent to the design of the car and didn't qualify for a buy-back!?!... in otherwords all Aerios are crap)....I got rid of the piece of junk :lemon:

BUY HONDA OR TOYOTA
  • Tks for taking the time to post your '05 Aerio history! We too were initially impressed with our 2005 Aerio AWD, purchased new from CT showroom in Aug 05. Drove it (very carefully, following all break in procedures) from CT to FL where it is being used by our daughter. She now says it is a piece of junk! (She drove a '96 Audi A4 quattro prior, so we knew there'd be no comparison, but it's more than that.) At less than 15K miles, the rear tires went completely bald. She only noticed this when one went flat. Suzuki dealership in Miami said there was nothing wrong with the car & blamed bald tires on daughter because she didn't rotate them! The car was only 5 months old and had been in for it's routine new car servicing while she was in college in northern FL. If they neglected to rotate them, our daughter wouldn't know, would she? And another dealership in Miami is now blaming her and making her prove it was serviced. We provided paperwork but still got nowhere and took car out of this Miami dealership as they are horrible. In any case, this is NOT why the tires went bald at under 15K miles. We contacted Suzuki customer service & fought with them for several months. They finally paid for the new tires we had to put on with no help from them! However, the problem causing the bald tires has not been addressed! Reading this forum tells us that bald tires are a common problem with this car. Suzuki first denied a problem when confronted & only paid for tires when they saw we would fight them. We then found and confronted them with bulletin numbers (#0211225 & TSB TS0511225). This is a suspension problem causing the bald tires. They finally admitted the problem but then said our VIN was not included! Worse, they let the dealership in Miami decide if there is a problem, and of course the dealership said it was our fault for not rotating and that there was nothing else wrong with the car! Most FL dealerships are clueless about AWD so this one just passed us off, saying tires are bald due to lack of rotation. (non-rotating tires would only have a pattern of wear, not complete baldness) We called dealers acoss the northern USA & most are aware of the suspension/bald tires problem. One even said problem was due to improper specs downloaded during manufacturing! The fix Suzuki came up with is to replace the biscus (?) couplers, but we don't see how this could correct the improper specs/software problem, and some people here, who had this done, agree it hasn't worked! We aren't even at that point yet, as we need to find another dealer willing to agree we have a problem with the car! At this point, the new tires are fine so how will they find a suspension problem now? Bottom line - it's all on the customer to fight, and fight hard, as Suzuki tries to wear you down, hoping you give up! The new tires have only about 1K on them, so it will take time for the rear tires go bald again (as it happened around 12K miles). We want the car fixed now, not many bald tires later. We want the BS to stop at Suzuki. They need to own up to this problem and do a recall with a true fix, and not leave it up to the owners to fight for one as this is not a minor problem.
    I would never recommend Suzuki to anyone due to poor customer care. More difficult is that we live in CT & car is in FL with 23 yr old daughter. The dealers treat her like crap due to her age. THis is one of those things that requires a strong, mature person to handle, not a young adult. Basically, anything wrong is blamed on a young person. (Miami dealer actually told the dealer who sold us the car in CT that her car was dirty! She had just driven 10 hrs to her internship in Miami, got the flat & ended up at his dealership. What did this have to do with anything?) So we now have new tires but no fix for problem, and our recent college grad has new job with NO time to drive an hour or more to another dealer, as we can't go back to the idiot dealer in Miami. So she will now lose her car for days with no loaner (she lives too far) and no way to get to work! I think we are stuck until we find time to go down and either drive the car back to CT to fix or sell, or find yet another FL dealer. This car was a deal at $17K with AWD , coming from an Audi w/ quattro. I wish Honda, Toyota and Nissan would make an AWD sedan. Bottom line - you get what you pay for and AWD for under $20K, while being sold by Suzuki, is a joke.
  • Anybody who doesn't rotate the tires on any vehicle in 15k miles is an idiot looking for an accident, but on an AWD car, it is nothing short of suicidal. Yes, it is clear that Suzuki has a problem with rear wheel alignment on most of their AWD cars, but I would not even work on a car that had not had the tires rotated in 15k miles, knowing that the idiot behind the wheel is likely to have neglected almost every other aspect of the car. Parents who buy cars for their little girls and don't teach them how to check their tires, oil, etc. aren't much better than those who give their kids access to guns without training in the proper handling of those guns. I wouldn't let my daughter out of the driveway in any car until she could prove to me that she could change a tire by herself, and check the oil and tire pressure and coolant and hydraulic fluid, and etc.

By the way, the Quattro has one of the worst repair and reliability records on planet Earth. It's a fun car to drive fast on bad pavement or dirt, but it's almost useless for anything else.

Also, if you have noted in the conversation, some companies make alignment tabs to make these cars stay in alignment. Find some, and send your daughter to a professional alignment shop that can install the tabs and properly align the car. There is also a supplemental stabilizer bar that will keep things set in place a little better.

Suzuki is not always the easiest to deal with, but they are no worse than most manufacturers. On the other hand, if the owner does not do anything to check and/or maintain the car, neither Suzuki nor any other manufacturer is going to solve their problems.
  • ggmar1ggmar1 Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 Aerio SX AWD, purchased new in Jan 2006 from a State College PA dealership, talk about total frustration with a vehicle and the inability of the dealership to fix a drive train suspension problem. The car is a super tire eater!!! So much so, it is to the point we do not feel safe driving it. It was first noticed at 6000 miles, now we have 20.000 miles on it. During that time we have had 3 pairs of tires replaced, with rotations and 3 alignments, the dealer can't figure out why we are still having the issue since they did the fix Suzuki recommended(replacing a viscous coupling) The dealer has done everything from blame us for not rotating tires often enough, which would be impossible to keep up with since the tires are completely bald within 6000 miles, or we just hit too many potholes causing the alignment to go out!!! Strange that it is the rear tires that wear first! But the front also has a problem. The first two sets wore on the outer several inches to the cord! Now they are completely bald in the center 5 inches! We just noticed today the front set is starting to wear in the center also. The rear tires look like racing slicks, not real great on our central PA highways!!
    We would welcome any suggestions that we could pass onto the dealer to fix this permanently!! This is our second Suzuki, first was no problems in 110.000 miles but this one has been frustrating, you certainly learn how the dealer can change up when they have a Lemon compared to a complaint free car! I think LEMON may be the appropriate term for our Aerio!! After reading comments from Aerio owners on other sites and comments here we are not alone with this Suzuki Aerios mechanical problem. We don't want to trade at this point because we would take a beating price wise since Suzukis seem to depreciate so much.
  • As owner of 2005 AWD Aerio, and as poster here myself, I just wanted to say I feel your pain as have same exact problem. Too bad the same problem continues with the 2006 model! Egads! So what are we to do? We were also blamed for not rotating our tires....
    First, I think =rarchimedes= was a little harsh in his reply of 12/27. I drive almost 200,000 miles a year and DO NOT consider tire rotation to be a safety issue much less life threatening ;only tread wear. Something for rarchimedes to think about while driving his short time miles each year.

Second I plan to rotate the tires on my 06 Aerio SX AWD at 7500 miles just to be sure that Suzuki cannot find that as a
    reason if and when excessive tire wear becomes an issue.

IMHO that "failure to rotate" excuse is just a line shops give you as a lame excuse to evade the real problem......don't give them that out...rotate and see what they come up with next.
    Tires wearing in the center as you describe is often a result of too much air pressure in the tire.

Most people think 32 pounds in appropriate, HOWEVER, Suzuki recommends 30 pounds. Get yourself a good digital tire pressure gauge.

I have only 4500 miles on mine but the treadwear looks even and tread depth is good.
  • Good luck & keep a detailed diary of everything you do concerning your tires as it's very likely you will be another victim of this unfortunate problem! Happened to our car at under 14K miles, but unknown exactly when it began as car is in another state with our daughter who had it serviced according to manual. Pls note that tires were completely bald, with no tread pattern as no tread left! And both rear tires were bald - front tires were totally fine and still like new. SO, this isn't a pressure problem or rotation problem, but an obvious and serious suspension type problem. The car, being AWD, should NOT do this if working properly. My son says it must be that the rear tires are turning much more than the front tires - does that make sense to anyone?
    Good luck and again, I'm shocked that the 2006 AWD Aerio is also having this problem! What can we do, as SUzuki paying for replacement tires is NOT the answer, just a bandaid to a serious problem!
  • I have had the same problem with my 2002 Aerio at about 15,000 miles. I went to the dealer and wanted to replace it with the same Yokohama tires that the car came with it. Instead, I went to a Walmart, and they replaced it with Bridgestone tires and at 70,000 miles, i have had absolutely no problems with the tires. The other only problem I had with the car was the the keyless entry system which was replaced under warranty.
  • No, I'm not being too harsh. People who don't maintain their cars are their own worst enemies. Tires do need rotation. Oil needs changing. Antifreeze and other liquids need checking along with, for tires, air pressure. Anybody who doesn't notice that their rear tires are going bald until they are bald or they go pop are really unlikely to be checking air pressure, which means they probably have 20 lbs or less in the tires. On rear tires on a modern FWD car, or even AWD, there is usually so little weight that the tires will not look unusual at that pressure, but they will wear unusually. And, the AWD will just about tear the tire apart.

No, you don't have to be a nervous Nelly about maintenance, but you better do some, or your car will be an early casualty. Front tires do receive different forces than rear tires, especially on an AWD car, so rotate the darn things at least every 5,000 miles. The only company that has AWD for passenger cars really figured out for full-time use is Subaru, so next time, get a Forester if you just have to get AWD. The FWD Suzuki is just fine, get's better gas mileage, is easier on tires, costs less in repairs, and is better in almost every respect than an AWD version.

Anybody who has to drive through snow on roads knows that FWD works better than AWD, even with all the slip sensors. Snow piles up and strongly impedes the front wheels. Any push at all from the rear will bring the rear around. The very best handling vehicles were the early Subarus and Toyotas that could be shifted on the fly into 4WD for start ups and slow downs, and run in FWD along the road.
  • Dear All, I have been reading for a while now about people complaining that they have to rotate their tires. Do you change your oil? Do you use your turn-signal when you change directions? Do you take a bath at least once a week?

Rotating tires is basic "car 101". Rotate em every time you change oil (between 3 & 5 thousand miles) and your tires will typically go twice the advertised mileage. This, ofcourse, based on proper inflation, balance and alignment.

I have had my 2006 Aerio premium (2WD) since July and have already put 20,000 miles on her. By the way, the tires still look new. She is comfortable, quick, responsive, sure footed, quite and has a great radio. My only complaint is I can't buy anything to boost performance from Suzuki or the aftermarket.

Regularly rotate your tires and regularly take a bath. You will be happier. :blush:
  • We know rotation is important, but not doing so before 12K should NOT make rear tires completely bald! Come on! Problem is NOT lack of tire rotation, but is a suspension issue. Why keep focusing on tire rotation and igoring obvious suspension problem with this car? Me thinks perhaps you are somehow connected to Suzuki?
    And, to say that FWD is better than AWD in the snow is not our experience at all. Owned 3 FWD's (Olds 98's)previously, and NONE of them came close to the way our Audi A6 quattro AWD handles in the snow. Your comments puzzle me...
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 126
    Today, one or more (but I hope it is one!) of my power locks makes a loud whirring noise upon locking or unlocking the vehicle.

Has anyone had such a problem? Did a fix involve simply oiling something, or replacing entire power lock units?

-d
    Sounds to me like a part will need replaced...I hope you have it covered under warranty b/c it may be a bit costly.
  • No, I don't work for Suzuki, but your need to blame a dealer for your own problem is more than a bit bizarre. Tires on AWD cars usually only last 24-30k because of the extra wear involved, so you're telling me that not rotating the tire for half of it's expected life is not going to cause major problems. I also did note that there is an alignment problem with the Suzuki, which can be fixed with an aftermarket solution. Also, any idiot that thinks an Olds 98 with ten tons over the front wheels is any kind of comparison to a normal front wheel drive car is not too bright. Those old V8 FWD's from GM wore out tires faster than any Suzuki ever could, but they could punch a drift. The Cadillac version was a major tank in heavy drifts in New Mexico, but if it got into deep, compacted snow, it was a goner because of it's weight. All of those also had major mechanical problems, as the internal design of the FWD was very inefficient and primitive. A Quattro handles great ON compacted snow or ice, because of the distribution of drive, but no car with rear wheel drive of any kind does well when driving into snow that is clumping in front of the front wheels. That is what you get when you are driving in actively snowing conditions. The front wheels are slowed disproportionately while clearing a path for the rear wheels, and the rear wheels cannot help but push the tail end around a bunch, even with traction control. Of course, if you can afford the Olds 98 FWD or the Audi Quattros with their usual price tags and monstrous repair bills, I can't imagine what you are doing with a Suzuki of any kind, much less complaining about the paltry repair bills.

Again, if you let tires go completely bald before you catch them, there is little that anybody is going to be able to do for you. I can't afford to neglect my cars in that manner, and my girls know that if they were to let that happen to their cars, they wouldn't get much sympathy from me. Sounds to me like you have too much money and too little sense. You expect to buy a car costing less than a half of either of the other cars you name, and have it perform exactly like them. Reminds me of an oft quoted definition of insanity...doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting something different to happen.
  • Wow, that your picture in the dictionary under"nasty" or what? You must get great satisfaction here, so I won't bother to feed your ego. Have a nice life!
  • Yes, and there are whiners on every forum who are unwilling to do the least thing to solve their own problems. More than a few people on here have actually rotated their tires and paid attention to their vehicles, and they certainly have legitimate gripes. I have noted my own problems with my Suzuki, which required some persistence on my part to have fixed. So far, I have found no dealers of any brand of car who have volunteered to make expensive fixes without good documentation of a problem. Yes, and many of them do just put you off by accusing you of usually not doing things that they think you should have done. The answer to that is to do the required scheduled maintenance and document it. If you have done that, you have a perfect right to complain, and should do so until they right the problem. If you have given your child a car and expect the dealer to act as their parent in dealing with the car, you are expecting way too much of the dealer.

If you really want to do something useful, you could work for laws that require manufacturers to publish technical bulletins at no cost to the consumer. Suzuki gives very poor access to their technical bulletins, and the only meaningful way in which you can search such bulletins is if you pay Suzuki way too much money for the privilege. I am no fan of most manufacturers or dealers, but I do know that I have to do my part for any car to last in the way that I would like it. If I do my part, and the car does not last, then I will have legitimate cause for complaint.
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 126
    Well, I can attempt to pass off the part as a component of the power train. Does anyone know a hypnotist? ;-)

Thanks.

-d