Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Is the 3.0-liter V-6 engine currently used in the Mazda6 sedan/wagon the exact same motor Ford uses in the Escape, Five Hundred, and other products?
  • jammin3jammin3 Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Mazda 6 with the 4 cylinder. It has 5,000 miles but has been doing this since I got it. When the engine is cold (has been sitting over night or all day while at work) the car runs sluggish until about 3200 RPM, then it takes off like I punched the gas. It only does this for about 3-5 minutes then it runs normal. I took it to the dealer and they said it is normal. They said there is a Tumble Swirl Control Valve that opens at higher RPM's. He also said that when the car is warm, this valve is always open. Anyone else have this problem?
  • jammin3jammin3 Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that my car has a manual transmission.
  • markk1markk1 Posts: 30
    When we first got our 2003 Mazda6 the local Valvoline oil change place told us they did not have the cartridge but soon would. Fortuatly since we are not too near our dealer by the next oil change they carried it.

On the headlight did they mean the Headlight or headlight lamp? I'll be really upset if changing the lamp is difficult enough that the dealer. I just changed the bulb on our other car (Subaru Outback) the bulb was $5 and the change took under 5 minutes
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Mine does it as well. I am a Mazda dealer, and it is completly normal. My advise, let you car warm up, it's the proper thing to do.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Is to bring your car to a constant idle and pull away gently. It's in the manual of every car I've owned.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    The manual says you should have your Mazda dealer replace the bulbs because doing so isn't just a simple matter of unplugging the bulbs and plugging new ones in.

Replacement of the driver's side headlamp bulb requires you to remove the air intake assembly, since it prevents access to the back of the headlamp, where there's a snap-on cover that protects all of the headlamp innards.

I'm sure that it was easier for Mazda to write "bring it to your dealer" than it was to write detailed instructions about how to remove the air intake in order to change the headlamp bulbs. But honestly, removing the air intake box is pretty easy- 4 snaps holding the top half to the bottom, move the top out of the way, and pull up firmly on the bottom half to pop it free from its rubber grommets.
  • banditm6banditm6 Posts: 2
    I dont know if you are still wondering but Yes the brakes for a mazda 6 do give off that warning squeal when they are in need of a brake job.
  • banditm6banditm6 Posts: 2
    Has anyone taken the bose head unit out of the Mazda 6 and replaced it with an aftermarket head unit? Bose says that you cant do it or you will need to replace the whole sound system...I dont believe it but wanted to know.
  • The Mazda 3.0 V6 is based on Ford's 3.0 Duratec engine, but it is not an exact replica. I found the following at www.wikipedia.org -Lefthandman

Duratec 30
    The 3.0 L Duratec 30 or Mazda AJ was introduced in 1996 as a replacement for the 232 in³ (3.8 L) Essex V6 in the Taurus/Sable. It has 2967 cc of displacement and produces between 200 and 240 horsepower (150 and 180 kW). The same basic engine is used in the Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mazda MPV, Mazda6, Mondeo ST220 and many other Ford vehicles. It is essentially a bored-out (to 88.9 mm) Duratec 25 and is built in Ford's Cleveland, OH #2 plant. A slightly modified version for the Ford Five Hundred entered production at the Cleveland, OH #1 plant in 2004.

There are two key versions of the Duratec 30:

(1) DAMB - The Lincoln LS and Jaguar AJ30 versions have direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) tappets. Output is 232 hp (173 kW) at 6750 RPM with 220 ft·lbf (298 N·m) of torque at 4500 rpm.

(2) RFF - The Taurus/Sable/Escape version uses roller finger followers (RFF) instead and produces 201 hp (150 kW) at 5900 RPM with 207 ft·lbf (281 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm.

The 2006 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr feature a version of the Duratec 30 utilizing variable valve timing. The engine will have an output of 221 horsepower (165 kW) at 6250 rpm, and 205 ft·lbf (278 N·m) of torque at 4800 rpm.

Mazda's MZI version adds variable valve timing, as does Jaguar's AJ30. Note that the MZI name is also used in Europe on Mazda's version of the Ford Sigma I4. The 3.0 L, 226 hp V6 used in the Mondeo ST220 is called Duratec ST. The 3.0 L, 204 hp V6 in the Mondeo Titanium is called Duratec SE.
  • Check out the message below, and search this discussion using the key word 'clutch' for additional info. Good luck! -Lefthandman

Message #1557:
    For those of you who are still experiencing clutch chatter with your manual tranny...Mazda sent out a TSB today. The clutch disc material is modified to address the concern. TSB # 05-003/05. just came out today, so your local dealers may not be up to speed yet.
  • lmp2lmp2 Posts: 2
    05 Mazda 6 has had transmission "disengage" 12-14 times when travelling at slower speeds; stop and go traffic and parking lots. transmission goes to shift from 2-3 and it is like the clutch is pushed in and the engine revs (car is automatic), RPMs kick up and then the car goes into gear. Taken to dealer 4 times and they can't replicate. Working with Mazda customer service and dealer at this time to get it fixed. They feel they can find the problem and fix it. Anyone have a similar problem? Related or not related, the steering control for the volume of the radio has changed the station on two occassions rather then adjust the volume. Anyone know what might cause this?
  • baysyd1baysyd1 Posts: 1
    WOW, I've had this same problem (only times though since purchase in Oct). Took to the dealer & cant replicate, they think it is the engine revving down. I think they think I dont know what I am talking about. Please keep me posted.

J
  • pats1pats1 Posts: 36
    I have had a lot of problems with my 2005 6-speed automatic transmission in 17K miles. They've replaced the throttle body and reflashed the computer 4 times. It's still not right. So much for getting something the first year it's offered. They say that they have no fix and Tech Services is working on it. This is very frustrating. They will not likely offer you an extended warranty because they'll have to pay for it out of their profit from paying customers. (They make zilch on warranty work.) If you can get one out of them, let me know.

Good luck.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Posts: 365
    I just returned from the dealer with a cabin filter change. With tax it cost $46.34 parts and labor. Just wondering, did I get a special deal, or is this what it costs at most Mazda dealers?
  • gmcjoegmcjoe Posts: 11
    I've got a feeling you were charged about the going rate. If you think you paid too much, next time you might consider changing it yourself. The filter (Mazda part # GK3J-61-148) can be had for about $25. After removing the glove box door, you can replace the old one in about 5 minutes. There are a couple of Mazda6 "tech" forums out there where you may find the entire procedure with pictures.
    I thought I was charged to little, believe it or not. Somewhere I heard that the labor and parts were around $100. Not sure where I got that info, but I was happy when I paid what I did. Next time I will do the job myself, maybe.

The breakdown was the filter cost $29.00 and the Labor $10.00 and Freight $5.00.
  • kaos14kaos14 Posts: 3
    I had a new windshield installed on my '04 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon S too.....it looks like when they install the replacement it "sits" too close to the dash board at the bottom left and right......I installed (pressed in between the windshield and dash) 2 rubber spacers on the left/right dash areas and rattle is gone.....
  • I own a mazda6 2004 model. The volume on the radio goes up by itself very annoying. Does anyone else have this problem. If so how did they fix it. Please help.
    There is a feature on the radio called something like "auto level 1 / 2 / 3 " It turns up the volume automatically when you speed up the car. Check if yours is on. You can cancel auto level if you like.