Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I wish to take my new 6s to a professional tint shop to tint the the rear passenger windows a bit for my kids. What do you think is a fair price. I'm new to this and don't want to get ripped off.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I wouldn't pay more than $125-150 for good tint.
  • I just test drove the gs V6 and I noticed a humming noise coming from the dash while the car was idle.

Anyone experience this.

I ordered the car any way because it is so nice.

Jason.
  • a buzzing? Rattling? I had a problem with the sunglasses holder making noise, even though I swore the sound was coming from the dash and/or the passenger's side.

Open it. Close it. No more noise.
  • No this noise was like the noise you here coming from a noisey flurescant light.

Jason.
  • ruefusruefus Posts: 254
    I've been quoted 150-170 here in Ohio. But that was without the actual car sitting there.
    he was asking about the rear 3 windows.

I'll probably get mine done in a month or so and then I'll know for sure.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I have this with 35% all around on ALL my windows. I was worried about making it look too dark, but 35% is the lightest tint and it works well on ALL windows. At night, you can barely tell you have tints on.

Dinu
  • Are there no problems with the car at all?

Jason.
  • i've had my 6 for a week and a half now, and the only problem i had was with the sunglasses holder (which is a nice touch btw). i pressed it and it stuck, had to be pryed open a little bit, then it started rattling as i was driving. later i opened and closed it about 20 times and now it doesn't rattle at all. it also opens smoothly and automatically.
    my sunglass holder hangs up, but I don't use it as my sunglasses don't fit in there. :(

I use the compartment on the top of the dash instead.
  • Either there haven't been many of these cars sold or they are very reliable.

I was told the 626 was very reliable.

Jason.
  • r2s2r2s2 Posts: 93
    I don't think many are buying yet. I've driven three cars and liked them, but none have had the packages/features/colors I wanted. And now mazdausa.com says the Sport Package won't be available until April. At this rate, probably be Summer or later before Mazda gets things figured out. Has the company forgotten how to market cars in the past 10 desperate years?
  • Nope, just nothing to be said. I've had the sunglasses holder rattle, that's it. Dealer should take care of it. The car feels extremely solid.
  • Call me crazy but sometimes I like to start out in 2nd gear. According to the manual, you should be able to do this but I find that sometimes the lever will not allow me to select "2" - it just stays at "1". Anyone else experience this?
  • I took my new 6S back to the dealer because the factory had not installed the switches for the seat heaters, this was a quick fix but I also mentioned to the maintenance manager that there was an annoying rattle coming from what sounded like the rear of the car. This rattle doesn’t happen all of the time and is not speed specific, to me it sounds like a metal vibration and my wife said it sounds like aluminum siding rattling (short inconsistent bursts). After almost a week and going over the car with a fine tooth comb the manager is still stumped. At first we thought it was the spoiler and then the sunroof, and have checked several other places. Could this be the infamous sunglass holder rattle that I have read about? Did the people who have encountered this rattle know where it was coming from or did it sound like something from the rear or overhead in the car?

In answer to the leak problem; I had to leave the 6 out in the rain a couple of times but did not notice any wet spots in the car.
  • So you guys think that the Mazda 6 is going to be a reliable car?

Jason.
  • I think it'll be more reliable than the Protege, only because the '6 has the benefit of more modern design (good thing?). The Protege is very reliable.
  • rodlcwrodlcw Posts: 45
    1. sunglass Holder was sticking, Dealer made adjustment and resolved.

2. Fuse Cover falls off. Cover on backorder and Mazda says they had problem with person who was installing at factory was breaking them.

3. Automatic Shift lever. Making noise like plastic catching on something when moving from Park to Drive etc. In Manumatic the lever would stick. Dealer found out from Mazda they had 5 other reports of this and that factory had forgot to put the lubricant in. Seems to be resolved.

4. THE WORST! Transmision leaking!
        Have Rental Car and waiting for them to tell
        me what they are going to do!

Hey, but I do get to drive a nice 2003 Camry LE!!!
  • When I put some weight on the arm rest (often- since my arms rests comfortably there between shifts), the top plastic latch can squeak from the pressure. When going over bumps, my arm shakes on the rest, creating a noise almost like a muted cricket. So, that and my sunglasses holder make a sporatic noise. It should be two easy fixes, if I ever get around to visiting the dealer.
  • I test drove about 3 of them, and 2 honda accord ex's and personally found the build quality to be equal to if not better than the Honda's.

Very quiet and smooth and tight.

In all about 50 test drives of almost every car you can think of.

I am a customer from hell and I put a few sales people through hell before I chose the Mazda.

In my opinion the best deal on the market.

Jason.
    I am now told they are replacing the seal where the axle goes into the transmission. Guess it first mislead them due to it traveling and then coming off the side of the tranny or something.
    They are suppose to get what they need tomorrow and if that is the real problem, I guess that should not be a long term issue with the car?

So far not overly impressed with what Mazda is turning out in Flat Rock.
    Dealer has fixed the leak. 1800 miles on it now.
    Car has been in the rain and no leak in trunk.
  • seafseaf Posts: 339
    Rodlcw, thanks for your posts. I was getting suspiscious at how quiet this forum was.

What kind of transmission do you have? Auto or Manual? Also is your car a V6 or I4? Any other specs so we can get a better idea so we don't think ALL Mazda6's might have transmission problems. Thanks.
    V6 AT RedFire Metallic Loaded.
    Fixed and I expect no other problems. This is my eighth Mazda since 1980.
  • glutz1glutz1 Posts: 20
    I'm getting ready to place an order for an automatic 6S (I know, after 26 yrs of driving manual transmission, I hate to give in to traffic) & would appreciate knowing of significant probs that other new owners have encountered. It sounds like rattles and trunk and auto transmission leaks have been encountered & I was wondering if there are other major issues ?

BTW, I'm currently driving a 5-speed '93 626 ES that I purchased new & it hasn't been the most reliable car I've owned, so I'll be purchasing a Mazda6S despite the fact that it's a Mazda.
  • skyrayskyray Posts: 156
    Actually, overall Mazda has a quality reputation that's right up with there with Honda and Toyota. Miatas tend to be bullet-proof (although they're built in Japan), and my '89 Probe (a Mazda MX-6 with a Ford body, built in the same plant as the 6) went for 11 years with its only problem being a couple of alternator suicides.

I'm buying an automatic 6s *because* it's a Mazda. :-)

Given that the preponderance of messages here are "rattling sunglasses holder," things sound pretty good. The transmission problems were disappointing to hear about, but you're talking a couple of reports out of many, many cars.
  • on another forum, a guy who works at the Mazda6 plant in Flat Rock commented on build problems.

They've all been just squeaks and rattles, and they've been eliminating them as they're discovered. Nothing serious at all.

On the other hand, another person saw a few 6's- some built in the USA and some in Japan- and felt the Japanese ones were better put together. There were some minor differences in the way seals were applied, etc., even though all the USA and Japan models were consistant with others from that country.

Surprisingly, it seems Honda owners have had worse complaints about the Accord. Mazda's release was like Toyota- the Camry is rock-solid, but initially had rattles, dropping Consumer Reports' rating.
  • cobra801cobra801 Posts: 4
    So, where are the 6's are being made? My understanding is that they are all made in the USA.
  • skyrayskyray Posts: 156
    Flat Rock, Michigan (combo Ford/Mazda plant that will also build the 2005 Mustang) for US and Canada 6s.

Japan for everywhere else.