Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• livaudaislivaudais Posts: 55
    I have never had a CEL light.

CL
  • Only have 5000 miles on my 6 and have been to the dealer many times for a "drift" problem in the steering. This will be the 3rd time to fix that one. Also have a "burnt" smell coming from under the hood. The last time I was in and told them about the smell they said there was oil left on the exhaust pipe from the last oil change. Yeah right! that oil change was at 1000 miles! Any way I have not had the rust problem recall taken care of. I still need to address the brake noise when you pull into a parking spot. I have had enough! Contacted my Lawyer and he said continue to document and keep bringing the car back for the same problem they cannot fix. 3 times on the same problem and we have a case. Has anyone gone this route? Please let the tired Mazda owner know. Thanks!
  • You are in the right path. Documentation is the key. Three strikes and they are out!!
  • Please do not get me wrong. I do like the style and performance of the Mazda6, but I am not happy with the one I am paying for.
  • CEL light came on (for the second time - no reason?) after the reflash was done on the recall - it didn't come on before the reflash. When I called (Friday morning) the dealer was too busy for me to bring it in, so I have to wait until tomorrow (Monday). When I take it in, I'll mention, for the third time, the brake noise coming from the RF when the steering is turned off-center. I'd giving the Service Advisor the P/N for the replacement clip and he said he'd pass it on to the tech (but he didn't). From what I've seen, the clip doesn't resolve the problem. Does anyone have any further info on the "fix"? In the mean time, the CEL light has now gone off.
  • cop414cop414 Posts: 68
    To audia8q-
    From your profile I inderstand you are a dealer mngr. If you could find the time to review my posts 925, 926, and 960. I have been having a clutch "judder" for about 8 months now. It feels like my front tires are actually hopping at times. I can never duplicate it for the dealer and have been told by several persons that Mazda is aware of the problem and a fix is on the way. I contacted Mazda through the 800 number and was told by the person that I talked to that they had no other reported problems and knew nothing about a fix. I have had at least one other owner contact me via email from my posting on this board with the same problem.
    Mazda told me to go to another dealer for a "second opinion". I contacted my next closest dealer and they advised that I should return it to the first dealer until I'm satisifed. Mazda is sending me to a second dealer, the second dealer is sending me back to the first dealer... it's getting pretty aggravating.
    Otherwise the car has been perfect. (Once I myself fixed the brakes for the squealing problem.) Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Hello all Mazda 6 owners

I am just writing to find out how much Mazda dealers are charging for a regular oil change across the united states. I live in Irvine (southern california) and the dealer nearby charged about $24.95 plus tax for an oil change and you will also get a complimentary carwash and some inspections on tire pressure, fluids, etc. They use Volvoline 10W-30. I just want to know whether I am paying too much for an oil change at Mazda dealers here. Plus, do anybody know about the 15,000 miles service (this is recommended for every 15,000 miles interval). The dealer here is asking for $59.99 plus tax. Basically, they change your oil, wash your car, change the transmission fluid, change the steering wheel fluid, change glow plugs if necessary, rotate tires, and tune the engine.

In addition, what is the recommended interval for an oil change. According to the manual, Mazda recommends owners to change oil every 3000 miles. Since I like my car a lot and wants to give it the best treatment as possible, I always change my oil at every 3500 miles. I have also seen a few of my friends change their oil at every 5000 miles interval. May you kindly share your opinion on this.

May I also know if there is any Mazda 6 owners who installs cold air intake on their car. There are many brands of cold air intake you can find on ebay and they cost from $170-230 depending on the brand. May I know whether they really improves your performance significantly or is it only a waste of money.

Your comments will be deeply appreciated.
  • chronobchronob Posts: 22
    Hello, audio8q! Quick question for you. Has your dealership received any information on the clutch shudder/chatter problem with the 6? thanks!
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I looked on the mazda tech site and they show nothing...also our shop has not had any consumers with the shudder complaint.
    Thanks for getting back to me so fast! I'm not sure how widespread the problem is, but it's definitely out there. We're not allowed to post links to other Mazda forums, but there have been many posts in other places of people experiencing clutch shudder/chatter with the 6.

One other quick question, is there a Mazda technical hotline available to the public? Thanks!
  • cop414cop414 Posts: 68
    cronob-
    I'm is the same "club" with the clutch judder. Keep me posted with any info. Also see my posts #'s 925, 926, 960, 1003.
    This is quite frustrating. I can never duplicate this at the dealer, but as I have posted before, it happens at times when I let the clutch out, resulting in what feels like front wheel hop.
    There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it at all. I did get in writing from the dealer that Mazda would cover the clutch for 75K since I have been reporting a problem. If you didn't already I would think you should call Mazda and at least make them aware of the problem. Hopefully a fix will be on the way soon if they get enough complaints. You can email me if you get any info.
    Can do, cop414. My dealer couldn't replicate it either. Maybe I should have him stay over at my house so he can feel the shudder when I pull out of my driveway each morning.

I emailed Mazda corporate today about this problem, so if they get back to me I'll post it here. I'm also waiting to hear back on the steering column vibration problem, for anyone who has that one, too. They told me a solution has been devised, but they didn't get back to me when I asked if it was being issued as a technical service bulletin. They just said to go to my dealer about it. That would be the same dealer that couldn't detect this problem, either.
  • moose54moose54 Posts: 20
    First of all your dealership is using the wrong viscosity of oil (10W-30), it should be 5W-20. Mazda recommends oil change intervals of 5,000 or 7,500 miles depending on type of driving conditions, not 3,000 miles. You shouldn't need a tune-up every 15,000 miles nor a transmission fluid change. Glow plugs do not pertain to gasoline engines, only diesel engines. To find the proper maintenance intervals refer to the owner's manual.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    Does Mazda really recommend 5W-20? I personally would not use it if I lived in So. California; that's the oil to use in the northern states where it gets cold.. I live in Mass. and have always used 10W30 in all my cars with no problems whatsoever. Except for a little slow cranking when the temp gets down to +5 degrees F. or lower.. Not the kind of temps you'll see in Irvine, CA.
  • moose54moose54 Posts: 20
    I understand where you are coming from. The owner's manual states 5W-20 as the recommended oil and shows a temperature range chart that goes up to 120 degrees for that viscosity. The oil-filler cap also shows 5W-20.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    specifies 5W20 I would use it in the winter up North. But if I lived in SoCal or AZ or Florida, etc. I would use nothing thinner than 10Wxx. But being a mechanical engineer, I want as much oil sticking to the bearing surfaces as possible. Just one of those quirks us engineers are famous for..
    Good news on both these issues. Mazda corporate told me:
    "In regard to the steering wheel column concern, there isn't a Technical
    Service Bulletin (TSB) at this time. However, the dealers have received
    a repair procedure.

In regard to the clutch chatter concern, there is a fix for this, and
    the dealers can contact out technical hotline for further assistance if
    necessary. A TSB may be coming, but this can be taken care of
    regardless of a TSB issued or not."

So, let your dealer know, and get your problems fixed.
  • ericzoomericzoom Posts: 213
    I would like to know if anyone has any info. on using synthetic oil for the car? I used mobil 1 for many years in my old car and I never had any engine problems.
  • Does anyone experience a strange noise when you turn into a parking spot? It sounds like it is coming from the brakes or front end. Planning to bring this problem back to the dealer again. This will make 10 problems total. I need some Yellow paint for this Lemon!
    Did anyone get this problem fixed?