Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hey thanks. But I checked the site, did some searching and couldn't find the CRP you were talking about. Can you give me the jist of the article and why the PCV valve sticking would cause oil leaking?
  • No CEL..almost 12,000 miles, almost a year old. In month 3 of ownership on my 05 mazda 6i , I had a faulty brake clip rubbing on the rotor (loud squeeking noise) was fixed, and hard shifting in trans from 1st to 2nd when cold. Was fixed with ECU flash. Since then, car has been absolutely beautiful. Engine not as refine as honda or toyota, but great road performer. There are other cars out there with more problems than the mazda6, (my friends 04 accord v6 auto coupe.) For the price I paid, think I made a good choice. For those having way too much problems with there's, you prolly have a lemon :lemon: :P
  • OK - so I have had this horrible problem with my 2003 Mazda6s since I bought it. I have brought it into the dealer at least 6 times and they cannot get the problem to duplicate. I have an automatic and it shifts extremely hard from 2-3rd gear (around 30mph). I have only 500 miles left on my warranty and the last time I brought it in they tried to charge me for the diagnostic and the rental car because they said there was nothing wrong with it. I WILL NEVER buy a Mazda again!!

I had my husband drive it (he is a diesel mechanic) and he was able to duplicate the problem - but since he is not a mazda tech - they won't take his word.....

They keep putting it on the computer and telling me nothing shows up - but could there be something wrong with it that will not show up on the computer?

I called another dealer to look at it this week - they said there is a service bulletin for this problem - anyone know about this bulletin?

If anyone finds has any info on the problem or about this bulletin - please post ASAP.....Thanks!!
  • rgb2rgb2 Posts: 30
    There is TSB for a shift shock from 1 to 2nd gear. What they do is reflash TCM - change transmission computer program. I don't have any more info, but you can try searching NHTSA website for more info.
  • Thanks - I will give it a try!!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Well, to all of you who seem to be haveing a problem with you Mazda6, I notice that the majority are with the "s" model. To all of you that dont know, the 3.0L V6 is a Ford Motor. Now, Mazda is aware of the problems this motor is causeing for their company. The reason they used it is because they have a contract with Ford to used "X" number of Ford engines in their vehicles. Now, this contract is comming to an end. The Tribute (Ford 3.0L V6) will see its last day in 2007. And the MPV, also Ford engine, will be discontinued as of 2006. Mazda most likely not use the Ford 3.0L V6 in the Mazda6 past 2007. Now, the tranny problems are most likey linked to the fact its a MAzda tranny, and a Ford motor. I have a MAzda6 "i", and NO problems with either. Mazda's 4 bangger's are a great motor. The days of Ford engines in Mazda cars will be over soon. So, please bare with Mazda, they know the Ford engine sucks, but they had to use it, or the company would be out of business in 1995 ( Ford bailed them out, hence the engine contract)
  • Mazda most likely not use the Ford 3.0L V6 in the Mazda6 past 2007

The 3.0 L V6 will be replaced with a 3.5 L version of the "Duratec" when the 6 gets revised in '07-'08. The motor was recently introduced by Ford, with power and torque figures "starting" at 250 HP and 250 lb/ft.

Now, the tranny problems are most likey linked to the fact its a MAzda tranny, and a Ford motor...The days of Ford engines in Mazda cars will be over soon. So, please bare with Mazda, they know the Ford engine sucks, but they had to use it, or the company would be out of business in 1995 ( Ford bailed them out, hence the engine contract)

Uhh, you'd better get ALL your facts straight. Engine contract or not, you're making a HUGE generalization saying that the majority of the problems are associated with the V6. I don't buy it, not for a second. Do you have hard figures?

I've got the V6 with the 5-speed manual. 16 months and 21K miles later, I've had NO problems with either of them. I plan on getting well over 100K miles with my car, and I'm sure it'll be running great even past then.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    "To all of you that dont know, the 3.0L V6 is a Ford Motor."

Sheesh, do we have to go over this all again? :cry:
    Uhh, you'd better get ALL your facts straight. Engine contract or not, you're making a HUGE generalization saying that the majority of the problems are associated with the V6. I don't buy it, not for a second. Do you have hard figures?

I said that based on what I was told. My source could be wrong. I have a 6 as well, no tranny problems, and I have not heard of any tranny problems with a I4 engine. Do you have any insite in to what the problem is? I'm open to any possibility. I do know a Mazda tech, he might be able to provide some answers.
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    I haven't heard about any tranny problems, outside of the "shift-shock" which is easily correctable. No tranny failures, 6i or 6S (unlike our friends over at Honda/Acura). The Duratech engine as modified by Mazda, and even as used by Ford, is reported to be fairly durable. It's not highly refined, and gets so-so gas mileage, but a great mid-range performer and smoother than any GM V6's. I think the 6 will prove to be a decent 150K mile car with proper maintenance.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    To all of you that dont know, the 3.0L V6 is a Ford Motor. Now, Mazda is aware of the problems this motor is causeing for their company.

Ford may have it's share of problems but the Duratec isn't one of them...you need to do some additional homework before you start slamming an engine that has very good track record. Ford has been a savior for Mazda and now Mazda is paying Ford back with products that can enhance Ford's bottom line. Get your facts in order before you start talking about contracts and agreements you know nothing about.
    The 3.0 L V6 will be replaced with a 3.5 L version of the "Duratec" when the 6 gets revised in '07-'08. The motor was recently introduced by Ford, with power and torque figures "starting" at 250 HP and 250 lb/ft.

Where did you get this information? Was this released by Mazda? Or just speculation? Like everyone thought the CX-7 was going to receive the 3.5L V6 from Ford. The CX-7 has no Ford influence at all. It actually has the MZR 2.3 DISI Turbo.
    Get your facts in order before you start talking about contracts and agreements you know nothing about

So, you are telling me you know all about the partnership between Ford and Mazda? Because you came off pretty strong my making that statement. I actually do know what the agreement between the two company's are. I am close friends with the owner or a Ford franchise and a Mazda franchise. He owns both. What do you know about the agreement????
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    What do you know about the agreement?

Ford owns 36% of Mazda stock and therefore CONTROLLS them according to Japanese law. Agreement or not, Ford calls the shots. End of story.

The CX-7 is rumored to come standard with the Duratec23 but Edmunds just posted spy shots of the 2007 Mazda CX-9 today and I suggest you find it (it's on the Inside Line home page). Pay particular attention to the part about the engine it will come with.
    Ford owns 36% of Mazda stock and therefore CONTROLLS them according to Japanese law. Agreement or not, Ford calls the shots. End of story.

Actually, Ford owns 33% of Mazda. Not, 36%. Although, you are correct that it is the controlling portion. Ford does not call all the shots, because, that 33% is based in the financial part of the partnership. Meaning, Mazda American Credit is a division of Ford Motor Credit.

Mazda agreed to the increase in control(25% to 33%) not only because Mazda was in jeopardy of going BK, but, Mazda did not have an established bank here in the U.S. So, Ford was not the only one who came out on top. In a sense, this was the best thing to happen to Mazda.

The CX-7 is rumored to come standard with the Duratec23 but Edmunds just posted spy shots of the 2007 Mazda CX-9

I guess I did not give you my whole background before. Not only does my friend own a Mazda and Ford dealership, I also work for Mazda for him. The CX-7 WILL have the MZR 2.3L DISI Turbo..no rumor, FACT. (the duratec23 is a Mazda engine) I have placed my first allocation due here in the March (hopefully) of '06. Now, this CX-9. It will be replacing the MPV. There is no current "official" information on this vehicle yet. All that is known is that it will be a 7 passenger crossover. The earliest we will see this vehicle is mid-'07.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I am close friends with the owner or a Ford franchise and a Mazda franchise. He owns both. What do you know about the agreement????

I'm a Ford, Lincoln-Mercury and Mazda dealer...along with other franchises...any more questions?
    I'm a Ford, Lincoln-Mercury and Mazda dealer...along with other franchises...any more questions?

Yes, why was your info wrong if you are a Ford/Mazda dealer?
    ">link titleFord does not call all the shots, because, that 33% is based in the financial part of the partnership. Meaning, Mazda American Credit is a division of Ford Motor Credit.

Yes, Ford does. The credit portion was sold to Ford Credit in 1999.

Ford acquired the 33.4% controlling stake in 1996. At that time, and up until 1999, Mazda Credit and Ford Credit were two separate entities and had little or nothing to do with the shares being sold.

Mazda was in trouble. Ford helped them in a big way. Now Ford tells them what to do, they do it, and it benefits the consumer more than anyone else. I own a Mazda6 and am glad it has the Mazda tuned Duratec30 in it. That way I get proven performance from a company that prides themselves on it as well as proven reliability from a block with a proven track record. The rest is just gravy.

CX-9

FYI. Goes on sale next fall. Comes with the Ford version of the Duratec35.
    FYI. Goes on sale next fall. Comes with the Ford version of the Duratec35.

I have not heard that yet. But, that's Mazda for you. They wait until the last miniute to announce anything.
    But, that's Mazda for you. They wait until the last miniute to announce anything.

I'm not sure that they announced it officially yet. Like I said, it came from Edmunds but they seem pretty sure of it and it makes perfect sense.
    I'm not sure that they announced it officially yet. Like I said, it came from Edmunds but they seem pretty sure of it and it makes perfect sense.

They have not officially announced it yet, I know that. But, what I meant by it was that it will most likely be public knowledge before they have an official announcement. I have also heard that the CX-9 might debut at the NYC auto show in '06. If that were the case, we might not see the CX-9 until spring '07. But, I guess we will just have to wait and see.
  • A close friend of mine bought a new 06 Accord in the first week of Nov., since the second day of ownership he has been complaining that his car drifts towards left, he has tested the car on different roads. He has been visiting the dealer quite often, they tested and say all accords do that. They also did the wheel alignment etc, but didn't help. Last week I drove his car and noticed the drift problem. The car goes straight while in the right lane and does not pull to the right because of raod crown. But on the same road, while in the left lane, it immediately pulls to the left. Now the dealer has given him two options, a replacement accord or get his money back.I think he's going to get his money back.

This was the first time I drove an accord, felt like I was driving my old camry, not exciting like my MZ6.

Sorry, I know this is not the forum for a accord review, but after test driving his car, I realized that my MZ6 wagon pulls to the left more than his car does. This morning on my way to work, I drove in the right lane that has significant road crown and it was pulling to the left. Pulls more to the left while in the left lane. So far it has not annoyed me much, but I think it is something to check on. I have noticed the pull long back, but since I always use the left lane, ignored it thinking that it must be the road crown. The tire pressure is fine, should I get the alignment done? Any suggestions? My wagon is a year old and have put 12K miles on it.

I have not been driving my MZ6 much for last 3 months, my wife won a 2 yr. lease on a ranger and so have been driving it, miss the zoom-zoom.
  • Two things may be the culprit:
    - Bad alignment
    - Subframe out of alignment

Have the alignment checked first. The subframe alignment isn't an uncommon occurence with this car either, caused by it being out of alignment from the factory, or the wrong torque tightness. This is fixed by the dealer loosening and repositioning the subframe assembly.

Good luck...
  • Thanks! will get the alignment checked and see if that fixes the problem.
  • Anyone know the relationship between the 2.5L V6 used in the '93-97 Ford Probe GT & Mazda MX6 and the current 3.0L V6 used in the Mazda 6S? I had assumed they were directly related.

I had a '93 Probe GT V6 with AT for 10 years and over 180,000 miles with no problems (other than 2 distributor repl.) Bought an '03 M6S AT based on this good experience. Zero problems so far after 40K miles. :)
  • I've had this same problem with my 03 Mazda6 since I drove it off the lot. Same story...can't make the transmission slip problem duplicate. Does anyone have anymore information on the TSB transmission slip problem. It usually only slips from first to second. However, sometimes it slips so hard that I check my rear view mirror to see if my trannys in the road.......Thanks!!!
  • Hi, I have had the same exact problem......After having Mazda do an alignment, it still pulled to the left. BUT, after ordering four winter tires (Michelin X-Ice) with wheels, I now have a brand new car!! It goes straight as an arrow! Perhaps the problem could be what they call "flat-spotting", especially if the car has been on the lot for a long time...mine was built in April, '04 and I purchased it in Jan, '05 with 36 miles on it. I am still surprised that Michelin tires can get flat spots but.....I wish you good luck! -Rob
  • Rob,

Thanks for the info. Mine too was built in April 04 and I bought it in Dec. 04, so was sitting in the lot for 6-7 months. The dealer says if the mileage was below 12K, they would have done the alignment free, I just crossed that mark by 50 miles and it will cost me $69. I will get the alignment done soon and will see if that fixes the problem.

GK
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    The dealer says if the mileage was below 12K, they would have done the alignment free, I just crossed that mark by 50 miles and it will cost me $69.
    Why not tell the dealer, that you will be taking your business elsewhere? They should try a little harder to keep their customers happy.
  • Purchased 04 wagon june 04. Same problem with pulling left. Told no camber or caster adjustments on front, rear only. Checked with align only shop and they confirmed same. Dealer contacted Mazda rep and then retourqed subframe. Helped about 50%. Living with it!! Otherwise car great. Good luck ZOOM ZOOM