Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    Not really concerned with improved gas mileage; want to improve performance via better controlled/less erratic shift points. I often shift mine manually when "playing", you really shouldn't have to with a modern 5-speed auto. My '03 Accord had a MUCH better transmission overall (not comparable in the handling dept, of course). I'm sure the cost of a re-programmer is somewhat high, when I find one I'll post.
  • cnybrocnybro Posts: 29
    Wow, bummer. Sounds like you got a bad apple for sure. I still think it's a solid car. If you're going to stray away from Mazda, and you like all the traits of the 6, then you would love an Acura TSX. That's the car I was going to buy until I got a killer deal on my 04 MZ6 SW. They can be had for $25.5K from what others are posting here.
  • cnybrocnybro Posts: 29
    Here's a shift kit - http://www.cp-e.com/products.php?a=page&value=sk_mazda6s
    They also have a very nice intake kit too.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    Not really concerned with improved gas mileage; want to improve performance via better controlled/less erratic shift points.

Got it. I solved that problem by opting for the MTX. ;)
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    Yeah, with the MTX the shift points will be better controlled, but still could be erratic. :surprise:
  • jsnewjerseyjsnewjersey Posts: 21
    I picked my new 6 wagon over the weekend, black,sunroof,Bose stereo,manual.
    I drove it for three days, I was in my glory. On my way to work to Manhattan suddenly it started bucking,the engine light went on and it was losing power.
    At 3000 rpm I had some power....very little but was able to coax the car to a NYC mazda dealer 1-2 miles away. The dealer filled the tank prior to pickup and it had 3/4 of a tank when it acted up. I thought water in the gas or a sensor.

Any ideas?
  • channacaschannacas Posts: 3
    Anyone had any trouble with the brake pedal when braking. Maybe I have big feet, but when I try to brake my foot hits the brake pedal arm most of the time and not the pedal itself. Unfortunately the arm comes from the right rather than straight down. My foot sometimes hits something under the dash when I try to brake. I am afraid that in an emergency these two problems will delay me slowing down the car.
  • bullmooseybullmoosey Posts: 18
    Yes, I had (and occasionally still have) this problem, which I noticed early on. I have minimized it by installing pedal pads that effectively move your foot back about 1" from the face of the OEM pedal and that darn brake pedal arm. There are many pedal pads available with a brushed silver finish so they look good on the 6 too. :)
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    Nah, we're all expert shifters around here. :P
  • jsnewjerseyjsnewjersey Posts: 21
    My new 6 wagon that ran for a grand total of three days before suffering power failure is still sitting for a third day still unserviced at. I've been told I may get back next Tuesday which will be a full week.You think Audi or BMW would let a new car sit for 3-4 days like that? doubt it.
    Zoom,Zoom,Zoom
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    Oh so that brake arm is what I am hitting. Twice I must have hit this with my size 14 boats and I was afraid that I was hitting the gas pedal by mistake and would quickly pull my foot off and re brake.

I took a look at it after your post and see the arm. At least I know I am not doing that Audi 5000 thing now.
  • m6_2005m6_2005 Posts: 9
    Angelfan - feel your pain.

These types of issues you're explaining sound serious - enough to warrent considerable concern. I'd definitely look into Lemon Law. I am not sure how many times they've actually tried to repair each problem, but I believe if there is a serious issue that persists after the third attempt of a repair--then you may be entitled to reimbursement or a replacement vehicle. However, anyone looking into the lemon law and is planning on pursuing such action should really be patient with the situation. If dealers have a problem with lowering prices on cars - then certainly a replacement vehicle is not easy. Although you have the law on your side - they protract matters.

Also, I thought I was the odd man out, but the rattling sound is quite common amongst the Mazda6. I researched it and found more than several persons complaining of the same annoyance. Although it's annoying and aggravating to know that your new car is manufactured with a rattling sound, it should be of some comfort that it's an innocent disturbance.
  • chuckymikechuckymike Posts: 1
    I have a 03 4cyl. with the 4 speed auto and was wondering if anyone has found any solutions to the erratic shifts.
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    Interesting system, although a bit complex & pricey for Stage 2 &3. I was thinking more like an electronic chip-reprogrammer type of device, similar to the aftermarket engine management chips (plug-in, basically). I'd hate to replace a valve body on a car w/only 10K miles and have warranty problems, although a chip would probably also void warranty? At least a chip you could switch back easily, if need be.
  • sadlosadlo Posts: 6
    Hopefully they gave you a loaner...I would think that providing a loaner while your car is in service is enough incentive to do the work on a timely basis. I would think thats a problem with the dealer...not a problem with Mazda.

I got my leftover '04 sprot wagon ten days ago. Picked it up on a Friday and left on Monday for a trip to North Carolina (from Ohio). Put 2100 miles on it in a week. It ran great. No problems worth mentioning. Averaged 24 mpg over seven tanks of gas.

So far so good....
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    Since Mazda pays for the loaner, the dealer really doesn't give a crap.
  • ken2701ken2701 Posts: 1
    My wife just bought a new Sports Wagon and we have not seen many on the road. Anyone have information as to the production numbers for both 2004 and 2005 model years for the wagon? Thanks.
  • merlinnbmerlinnb Posts: 1
    jsnew,
    I just bought a 05 Mazda 6 i sedan and ran into the exact same problem at 610 miles. The engine just doesn't get any power and sputters even during idling. I am pretty sure it is an issue with the fuel injection system; however, as it is a brand new car let them keep it at the dealership. Not sure how the lemon law works in NY, but here in Mass., if the car is off the road for more than 30 days in year 1, you are entitled to a brand new car. As long as you have the loaner, let them take their time. My car is also at the dealership as I write this. I will update you on the results when I get it back. :lemon:
  • I finally got the car back Saturday, two days short of two weeks. The throttle body was defective.....was replaced. I love the car but with service like this Mazda can't compete with Audi and VW.........
    good luck with your sedan.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    " I finally got the car back Saturday, two days short of two weeks. The throttle body was defective.....was replaced. I love the car but with service like this Mazda can't compete with Audi and VW.........
    good luck with your sedan. "
    --end quote--
    Are you saying you like VW service? Did you own a VW that was reliable? I see so many people griping about their VW, I would be leery of buying one. Would like to hear from those having good experiences too.
    Loren