Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I gotta thank you for making putting some sense into me greyghost. I drove the 6 again and I was just as pleased as the first time, unlike the Sonata where I was disappointed the second time I drove it.

My local dealer is very low on used cars so they are very aggressive with their trade in offers. I'm also looking to see if I can get a S Plan from a friend' father who works for Mazda. If all goes well, I will be yet another happy Mazda6 owner :)
  • I purchased a 6MT i Sports (MSRP $20,300 ish) for $14,785 - Drive out $16,000. :shades:

I didn't get the Mazda owner loyalty rebate of $500, otherwise I could have it for $14,299 as it advertised in the paper.

This week, a local dealer advertises the same car for $14,199 during the local Auto Shows, and with additional Mazda owner loyalty rebate bring it down to $13,699. (I hope that it's not one and only).. :cry:
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,000
    You got over almost $6k off MSRP on a base model? That's wild. What dealer and where?
  • Is this with automatic or manual transmission? What dealer and what city? Thanks.
  • So now that I finally figured out what I want there isn't one available around my area. I'm looking for a 2011 model, S Grand Touring in Sangria Red, black leather, Tech and Nav. My local dealers have looked, but nobody came up with what I am looking for. Mazda's website hasn't been updated so I can only search for the 2011 model.

One of the dealers suggested that I order one but it could take up to 2-3 month which is an awfully long time to wait. What do you guys suggest that I do and what price should I be shooting for? Truecar is showing me about 28,800 for S Grand Touring with Nav, Tech, Wing Spoiler and California emissions. If you guys can share some quotes that you received it would be helpful.
  • Have you used the official Mazda website to search? That is what I used to find mine when the dealers did not know.
    It worked for me. Try it.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    edited November 2010
    Um, he did.

Mazda's website hasn't been updated so I can only search for the 2010 model.

If you're really set on the color and features, I'd seriously consider ordering one then. The '11 production is just hitting dealerships now, and I'm sure it'll be more i models than s, let alone the GT w/Nav, in dealer stock, so even getting your specific color/options within 200 miles of your location may take 2-3 months anyway, let alone at the price you're willing to pay.

Speaking of which, $28.8K is a good price for a rare-optioned (read: hard to find), loaded s GT. They may bite on $28.5K, but probably not much lower than that (if any).

Is there one without Nav in your area? Personally, I'd skip the Nav and save a few $$$ in the process...
  • Hi Everyone I just purchased a 2010 6i Sport Manual with a spoiler as the only option for 14,849 with the total OTD for 15,800 after fees and MA Sales Tax at Wellesey Mazda. I also traded my 2008 Mazda 6i SVE with 61k KBB Good value was 8100. I received 8500 acv. Does this sound like a great deal? Additionally, in the paper today I see an additional 500 (autoshow) rebate being advertised that I didn't recieve. Since I haven't taken delivery, but completed the paperwork could I utilize this rebate to perhaps get an accessory I wanted like fog lights that retail at 325 and call it even? Thanks for the feedback!
  • Sounds like you got what you wanted at a very affordable price. Go show the dealer what they did not give you as advertised.
    Take it back in parts for your new car.
  • Hi All,

I'm hoping everyone will help me by telling me whether this is a good deal based on your experiences:

2010 iTouring Plus
    Base Price = $24,028
    -$3,000 (cash rebate)
    $21,028
    +$500 for heated seats
    +$1,499 rear dvd system
    +400 rear spoiler
    ==================
    $23,427
    +$1,405.62
    +$208.50
    ==================
    $25,041.12 Out the Door Price

I was thinking of seeing if I could talk them down to an out the door price of $21,000, am I dreaming or is that fair for what I'd be getting in the 2010?

This is all prior to discussing...I have a 2009 toyota Camry Hybrid that my lease is up in March 2011, I've got 3 monthly payments left of $217per month, I plan on paying the one for December on 12/15/10. The Camry only has 13,300 miles on it after having it for 3 years.
    I have not yet taken the Camry to the Mazda dealership yet for them to look it over, but I think they would love to get their hands on it considering the few miles it has on it. What do you think I should expect for the Camry?

Any and all comments would be welcome and thank you all in advance.
  • amms1000amms1000 Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    Dec, 2010
    Any of you know a good dealer to lease a Mazda 6 I sport or Touring in Michigan (48104 area ~35 miles)
    the best price I got so far for isport 36 months 2011 is

$245/m for 35 months tax included
    $0 down and first month (I pay nothing in the first month)

is it a good deal ???????
    what do you guys think
    any better offer
    Thanks
    AS
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    If your 2009 Camry Hybrid is leased, how do you intend to use it as a trade-in? Technically, you don't own the car and have no equity in the vehicle.

As for the best price on a 2010 Mazda6 i Touring Plus, the best deal varies somewhat depending on your geographic location. In the Southeast, a good deal with the Rear Spoiler is around $19,600 (sticker price of $25,075). On the West Coast (L.A. area), it can be had for around $18,300 or a little less (according to TrueCar.com).

The car you specify has two aftermarket features- Heated Seats and Rear DVD System. The pricing for those is a bit on the high side, in my opinion...especially the DVD system. I would double check the installation, function and warranty of both items before discussing anything else! If they were genuine Mazda accessories, I wouldn't be nearly as apprehensive...but aftermarket accessories like these can be a headache. They can even interfere with the factory warranty and add little if anything to resale value (or even hurt resale value if they aren't functioning properly). Just beware...
  • Thanks to igozoomzoom for your reply.

Sorry I didn't post my location previously. I'm in a Philadelphia suburb, so Northeast.
    As far as the Camry, I just figured that a car that only has 13500 miles on it would be desirable to any Mazda dealership so they could resell it but yes that is assuming they want to buy it from Toyota first.

As far as the initial offer I got, I called a few different Mazda dealers and both offers beat the original offer. Best out the door price I got was $23,239.44.

You are right about the DVD system, I was thinking of getting it for my 3 year old on long trips, but I might decide against it.

I can't wait to talk to the original salesman because I'm a returning customer and he still didn't give me a good deal from the beginning.
  • MSRP: 22,900
    My offer: 18,000 + tax (1,120) + DMV fees = $19,220 out the door
  • Could have bought an I Touring for 17900 + ttl, but after seeing the small tweaks to the 2011, especially, the non-striped seats, I'm going to wait till later this year.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    Could have bought an I Touring for 17900 + ttl, but after seeing the small tweaks to the 2011, especially, the non-striped seats, I'm going to wait till later this year.

Have you actually seen the new seat fabric in any photos or even in person? I'd be interested to hear a description and opinion on it compared to what was in the 2010.

I was very tempted by several too good to be true deals that were actually legit- in mid-December I found a new 2010 Mazda6 i Touring PLUS 4-door for $19,999 and I would get another $500 off for the Mazda Loyalty Reward, so it would have been $19,499! That is more than $5100 off MSRP! It was even my favorite color- Kona Blue! But the deal breaker was when I discovered that it had GRAY interior rather than BLACK! =( I'm still sick over that one....I don't care for Gray interiors as a general rule, but the there is something about the Gray Mazda6 interior that I especially despise!!! Thank God, Mazda finally dropped it for the 2011 models- Kona Blue, Ingot Silver and Comet Gray models have BLACK interior standard; Sangria Red, Techno White Pearl, Ebony Black and Black Cherry are available with a choice of BLACK or BEIGE...but GRAY is GONE!!! woo hoo!

The 17" wheel design on the 2009-2010 models were the only design element that never grew on me...I still think they look strange and detract from the car's gorgeous shape! It's amazing how much different the s Grand Touring looks with its sexy 18" wheels. It's a shame that they don't offer those 18-inchers as an option/upgrade on a few other trim levels. In Canada, the GT I-4 and GT V6 both get the 18" wheels...the i Grand Touring should at least offer them, IMO.

Anyway, the new-for-2011 17" wheel design does wonders for the car! It's amazing how much better the car looks with just a new style of wheel and restyled headlights and fog lights! I'm really pulling for Mazda to increase the sales of the MZ6 in the next year. They only sold 35,662 examples of the Mazda6 in 2010; barely topping the 2009 sales figure of 34,866. Both represent a massive drop from the 2008 total of 52,590, but 2008 was the final year of the 1st generation MZ6.

The Toyota Camry sold 327,804 units in 2010...almost 10 times the number of Mazda6 sold....what a sad world we live in...
  • Yes, I saw them side by side at the lot. Stepping back, I MUCH PREFERRED the 2011. I totally agree with you on the wheels, headlights, and fogs. I was willing to live with striped seats on the 10 because I liked the car so much. Pleasantly surprised to see stripeless and what seemed to be somewhat better material.

In short, I liked every single difference I noticed in the 2011. Kudos to Mazda as they really seem to be on top of their game with the 6! I'm ready to pounce on a black/black when the price is right. There was no way I could buy the 2010 after seeing the 2011 side by side. Looking forward to a great deal later this year. Like you, I hope people begin to recognize the 6 much more.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    If your sales figures are correct, it looks like Mazda failed with this redesign. The 2008 Camry sales were 436,617, so 2010 was down 25%, while the Mazda6 is down 32% from their 2008 sales.
  • The redesign is NOT a fail. Mazda is failing in their ad/marketing campaign.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    The redesign is NOT a fail. Mazda is failing in their ad/marketing campaign.
    ... Or a lack of one, in this case.

I've lost count of the amount of people that ask what model of Audi or Acura that I drive, only to be blown away that it's "only" a Mazda6! If Mazda spent only 10% of the $$$$ that Toyota dumps into Camry commercials, you'd be seeing one on every block, and Mazda having trouble keeping them on dealer lots.
    Do you guys have anything to back up your claims that the car is a failure due to marketing?

I think it is a failure because they tried a "me too" strategy, creating a car that is more similar to the competition than the version it replaced. This (unsurprisingly, IMO) did not work.

From the time when it was new, here is a story that mentions this "me too" strategy:

Mazda marketing types feel confident the new Mazda6 will appeal to a broader and even more upscale buyer base when sales begin in August. A key part of their goal to push North American volumes into the six-figure zone involves winning converts from the ranks of Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, and Chevy Malibu owners.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0808_2009_mazda6_drive/specificat- ions.html#ixzz1AGTkK46p

Here is another that indicates they were increasing the marketing budget...Mazda also said today that it will boost its marketing budget.
    http://www.autospies.com/news/Mazda6-will-be-unveiled-in-April-hybrid-is-not-on-- the-agenda-yet-26646/
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,000
    Nice homework! I think it actually may be some of both. I have the '07 and was looking forward to the redesign but was dissappointed. It's still a great looking car and handles good but it just lost that uniqueness IMO within the midsized class. Plus the advertising, as others have said, has left a lot to be desired but I did see a lot of ads when the '09 first hit the streets.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    If your sales figures are correct, it looks like Mazda failed with this redesign. The 2008 Camry sales were 436,617, so 2010 was down 25%, while the Mazda6 is down 32% from their 2008 sales.

Keep in mind, Mazda has drastically reduced their fleet service vehicles. According to Mazda, they are putting almost 20% less cars into fleet. There were an abundace of 1st gen Mazda6's sold into fleet service.

Fleet reduction has increased residual value helping lease terms and increased resale.

Regardless, 35,000 units sold of the "flag ship" car for Mazda is just piss poor. Mazda was targeting 80,000 + with the new design.
  • I feel if mazda would spend just as much time and money....if not more in the mazda6 like they do the mazda3 which isn't their flagship...they might get some decent sale numbers
  • Greyghost, I hear ya on that. My husband initially suggested by the Accord or Altima until I got him to take a look at the 6 and have a test drive. He drives an Infiniti coupe so I have to be the more practical one. Anyway, he was surprised by the sporty look of the 6 compared to the other choices and also the roomy feel and how large the trunk is. For our purposes trunk size is somewhat important. I pointed one out to my sister the other day and she was guessing it was an Acura before I filled her in.

Jeffy, Personally, I don't care for the prior version and would never buy one. I'll take the larger room and more refined look of the 2009 vs the prior model all day long. To each his own.

m6, Glad you enjoy your 07. I respectfully disagree and MUCH prefer the current model.

nc, I agree wholeheartedly

Having test driven the Altima and Accord, it was a very easy decision for me. I think the 6 is absolutely under-appreciated.
    You miss my point, I'm sure the vast majority of Americans, if given a choice between the prior version and the new version would buy the new one, primarily because it is bigger. But unlike the previous version, which was somewhat unique, the new one is pretty much just another typical midsize sedan, so for most people there is little reason to choose it over the Camry, Accord, Altima, Malibu, Fusion, etc.

Meanwhile, those buyers, like myself, that bought the old version for its somewhat unique size and sportiness also have no reason to prefer the Mazda6 over several other choices.
  • I do understand what you're saying. However, I reiterate that Mazda has sucked at their ad/marketing of the 6. While different than your version, it's still more sporty than the Altima, Accord, Camry, etc. in my opinion.

It's funny, 2 of my co-workers drive an Altima and one drives a Camry. When we were discussing vehicles at lunch awhile back, none of them knew anything about the 6 or even remotely what it looked like. Showed them pics and they all liked it. The Camry owner even went with me to the dealer to check it out as she's going to replace her car in the near future. She loved it and is planning on getting a red one herself soon.

Again I say, Mazda is severly lacking in EFFECTIVE advertising
  • again...mazda spend more time on the mazda3 than the mazda6....how many commericals have you seen on tv on the mazda6...none as of now.....wow a 2011 mazda3 commercial is playing on CNN now.
  • glayfan40glayfan40 Posts: 27
    edited January 2011
    I've got a quote on this 2010 i Grand Touring Mazda 6 auto from Quirk Mazda in Boston:

Brilliant Silver w/Black Interior

Tech. Pkg. and Nav.

Remote Engine Start

Rear Wing Spoiler

MSRP $31690 - $7000 off = $24690 + TTL

What do you guys think? Is it a good deal?

They also have another one (White on Beige) without the Nav. system and spoiler for $22999 (MSRP $29265, that is $6765 off), which I think is a pretty sweet deal as well.

I was thinking about cross shopping the 2011 Kia Optima w/ Premium Pkg. (no Nav.) from Quirk Kia as well. It's one good looking car the new Optima - actually think it's better looking than the Mazda 6. But it's still a Kia nevertheless. Any comments would be appreciated!
    Well, you do get a 5/10 year warranty with Kia. I think/hope they have come a long way since the days of the Sephia, etc. I drove an Optima from 2 generations back, as a rental car for a week once and it was terrible.

Agree with you on the looks. Kia is making some nice looking (to me) cars. Both the Optima and Forte look good and better to me than the Mazda3 and Mazda6. I guess they would be described as having European styling, while Mazda has gone to more Japanese styling in this generation after having had European looks in the 2003-2008 Mazda6.