Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    edited May 2011
    "Picked up a lightly used (2 years, under 13k miles) 2009 Mazda 6 s GT w/ Nav + Bose + moon roof. Black/black.

Got it out the door for $20k (cash) w/ 7% sales tax (so I guess around $18,250 + tax + title/reg)."

Edmunds TMV is $21,200 Private Party and $23,400 Dealer Retail. KBB puts the Private Party value at $22,675 and Dealer Retail at over $25k.

So I'd say that you did very well at $18,250 plus TTT ($20k OTD)! =)

Do you know the original sale date? You are covered by the balance of the 3-year/36k mile Limited Warranty (bumper-to-bumper), but you need to be aware of when you will reach that 3-year mark. Your Roadside Assistance coverage also expires at the same time.

Better news is that you also have the balance of the 5-year/60k miles Powertrain Warranty! So at least the major stuff is covered for 2-3 more years or 47k miles. =)

Every time I see a bargain price on a 2009-2010 Mazda6 s Grand Touring (or '09 s Touring, which had the 18" wheels- a must!), I take a closer look! Kona Blue is the color I really want, but every time I think I've found one at a great price, I realize that it has GRAY rather than BLACK interior!? =( Then I understand why it has a discounted price tag. It’s no surprise that Mazda dropped the Gray interior option for the 2011 model….
  • inspadesinspades Posts: 2
    Do you know the original sale date? You are covered by the balance of the 3-year/36k mile Limited Warranty (bumper-to-bumper), but you need to be aware of when you will reach that 3-year mark. Your Roadside Assistance coverage also expires at the same time.

Yeah. That was one of the selling points. The Carfax listed the vehicle sold in early April of 2009. So I figured I have almost a year if anything goes wrong. And another 3 years if anything major goes wrong.

To be honest I was kind of thinking "what's wrong w/ this vehicle that they want to get rid of it at that price?" but you can say that about any car and you might as well get the best deal you can. The car definitely has some minor defects but I guess that's pretty normal for a 2 year old car no matter how many miles are on it.

The black interior is really nice. So far very happy w/ the purchase.
  • Picked up my ebony black 2011 6 S Touring Plus yesterday. Good buying experience at Rowe Mazda in Auburn, Maine. Got the car for $24,750, plus $1337 sales tax, plus $410 fees, = 26,497. It was the only S model available in northern new england. Probably could have done better but wasn't really in the mood.

What to say about the car except that it is terrific. I really don't understand why people don't give the 6 a try, but that's already been the subject of extensive debate. I was in the market for a CPO BMW, Infiniti, Acura, and test drove every family midsize hauler (sonata, optima, accord, camry, legacy, altimat). None of the family midsizers in the competition were even close to the 6. As in, not even in the ballpark. And after sitting in some of the luxury brand CPO's, they all felt dingy and I felt like I was sitting in someone else's dingy car.

Anyway, great car, really happy with the vehicle.
  • mrchuckmrchuck Posts: 21
    Great post. I felt the same way when I got mine.
    Today, after 1 year and 10 months, my 2010 Mazda 6i GT is as tight and economical as ever.
    Still learning all the features.
  • benny24benny24 Posts: 5
    Hello, I just wanted to see what your opinions were on this quote I got. Live in Pittsburgh, PA.

2011 Mazda 6 i Sport, base model, 6 speed manual transmission. Last 6 i Sport with Manual on the lot.
    MSRP $20925
    Sale price $20020
    Trade in - $2000
    Mazda rebate -$500
    Total Cost out the door - $17,520 - That's with taxes, fees and destination charge.

Is this too good to pass up or should I wait until the 2012's are out?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,955
    Obviously they are giving you very little off due to the fact that you seem to want the manual and they only have one. Supply and demand. These cars usually sell for at least $3k off list and they coming down less than a thousand. IMO I don't think it's a very good deal unless you absolutely have to have a stick and there are no other Mazda dealers close that have any. If you haven't already, check around and see if you can't get a little competition going.
    I contacted another local dealer and they said they could come down a little bit from the $17,520 but not lower than $17,000. They don't have the car on the lot but could locate one.

Just looking at truecar, the price quoted to me seems to be in tune with the average paid. Am I missing something?

In your opinion, am I better suited to wait (which I can) until the newer models are out and I can try and get a better deal on this car?
  • mrchuckmrchuck Posts: 21
    I really doubt that other dealers could get this car for you at this price. They may say they can, but it won't happen.
    You have done your homework, found the new car you want at a super price, so go get it now, or it will be gone and you will have spent all your valuable time and effort in finding this Jewell.
    Great everything on your car. Let me know,,,, :)
    edited June 2011
    Unless your trade is worth a lot less than $2k and they are giving you a break on it, they are giving you $900 off MSRP and the $500 rebate which is from Mazda, not the dealer. I'm sorry but $900 off MSRP at this time of year is really not good. I drive a 6 also but I got over $5k off MSRP without a trade. Granted that was 4 years ago but car sales aren't as good now as they were then. In general and in comparison, the 6 is not selling that well and you should be able to cut a pretty good deal. They are coming out with some new high tech engines in the 2012s which will make the value of the 2011s go down in comparison. Actually, if you don't mind paying that close to MSSRP, why not wait for the 2012?

Where I live truecar is saying best price is $18250 WITHOUT TRADE IN. That's about $2000 less than your deal.

Or am I completely missing something???
    5k off the MSRP? Nice.
    Did you wait until the end of the model year, how did you get that?

Any idea when the 2012s hit?

IYO - what is a reasonable deal to talk them down to - I mean, price off of MSRP?
    One other thing:

You said you got over 5K off the MRSP, when you factored in taxes and destination fee, what was the net savings?

I only ask because all the fees/taxes were included in my original offer.

Thanks
    Mine was a cash deal, no trade in. The MSRP was about $21500 if I recall and I paid $16500 plus TTL. Total was around $18000. Not knowing what taxes you're paying or doc fee, title fee, etc it is hard to give you good advice. Sales taxes can make a huge difference. 10% in Chicago, 0% in NH. That would make the "out the door" price a little different wouldn't you say?

I really don't know when the 2012s will be out but I would expect them in Sept or Oct. Because they are coming out with some new advanced engines it's possible they may be even later. I'm guessing based on when Mazdas have usually came out in the past and from what I've read.

What was the actual sales price of the vehicle they were quoting you, not including TTL, but after deducting for your trade and the rebate?

Whenever there is a trade involved it's hard to pin down the exact deal you're getting because they can give you more than you think your trade may be worth but less off on the new car or vice versa, lower price on the new car....screw you on the trade. If you have a good idea of what your trade is worth and they are giving you that, it makes it a lot easier.
    The sale price they quoted me was $20020. Minus $2500 for trade and rebate = $17520. They told me that included taxes, fees and destination charge.

The original quote they gave me a week ago included $1463.95 in taxes and fees. This new quote I just got already includes all those fees. So I'm looking at $17520 out the door.

I feel my trade value is on par with the going rate.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    As far as what a good price might be, I'd go no higher than invoice + $500 and only after I was convinced I cou;nd't do better. Any higher than that and I'd walk away entirely.

Just bought a car last night at invoice using Zag.com/Overstock. Try there.
    As best as I can figure you're getting about $3000 off MSRP. That seems to be a decent deal and is below invoice after the rebate is applied. If you like the car, especially since there are few sticks available, I would go for it.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    I think you missed some details there, the $3000 below MSRP includes the trade in from what I can tell.
    He says it's $17520 out the door and TTL was $1464. Trade was $2000.

17520 OTD
    -1464 ttl
    =$16056
    +2000 trade
    =$18056 paid for car

MSRP was $20950 or thereabouts. So the $18056 is about $3000 under list.
  • truecar.com says (in my area) I could get a 2011 Mazda 6 i GT with the technology package for:

25,246 (the sticker is 29,400 and the dealer cost is 25,900).

Could this be true or is truecar over estimating the best deal?
  • des5des5 Posts: 88
    Sales of the 6 have been very slow lately. According to Edmunds, the invoice-sticker spread is 2389 and total cash spiffs are $1500 on the 2011. So 2389+1500=3889 off sticker or 25511. The difference may be due to -500 loyalty +200 profit, which would bring the price to 25211. Close enough.

Now this was back in 2005 and 2008, but both times I bought Mazdas (6 and CX-7) for $5500 under sticker in the Sept/Oct timeframe.
  • Hi Gurus,
    Just got my CPO 09 6i Touring, 2.5L, auto, 15K miles, white/black, Bose, Sunroof, keyless start, aluminum wheels, for $18,000+TTL. How was the deal?
  • You did just fine. Nice deal. You definitely didn't get screwed. The changes between 2009 and 2012 are minimal and insignificant. Mileage is low, ad yu got really great features tossed in for a good price. You can breathe easy. The only thing I suggest is make sure you have the vehicle history report to assure yourself it wasn't salvaged, or had heavy repairs, and so you know the maintenance record. In many states, if you bought it from a dealer, they are required to give it to you with/ before the purchase. Make sure you have it, even if you have to spend a few dollars to get it yourself.
  • Better time to buy, the last few days of August or Labor Day weekend? Will Mazda continue its summer sales event after 8/31?
  • I checked both autocheck and carfax. Carfax was clean and autocheck score is above the range. But the thing is that the vehicle was registered in Oct 2008, so there is only 2 month original warranty left, although the CPO does have another 12month dealer warranty. What I'm concerned is that this almost 3 yr old Mazda 6 probably would get de-valued very much soon. I plan to trade it in after ~2 yrs.
  • Well I wouldn't be too quick to make plans about whether to sell in 2 years, but that's just my opinion. You really don't know how the economy is gong to go. Currenltly, the price you paid is pretty cost justified. As to the warranty, I have questions whether Mazda is particularly good standing behind the warranty anyway - it's probably okay on some smaller stuff. What I would do, however, is check dealers around you toby googling them. When you google them, you will find the number of stars, and if you click on the stars, you will find out what opeople think of the dealers. What I find is that there are very few good/ honest dealers, and a lot of complaints about dealers for repairs. A better way to go is to search yelp.com for a good independent mechanic, even more so because you have almost no warranty to protect. Your better off finding a good shop than worrying about the warranty. Another thing I would do is go to http://www.truedelta.com/reliability.php You can join free, if you submit periodic maintenance reports to truedelta, which is a noncommercial site, you have access by year to reliability records for every model cars, as well as information on repair cost by car and model. Definitely worth doing. And you can compare the reliability of the 2009 Mazda 6 with the 2010's, 2011's, Hondas, Fords, etc..
  • I am looking at a new 2011 Mazda 6 after considering Fusions and Sonatas both new and used. We have a Fusion that we love, but they have gone up quite a bit in price and the Mazda 6 has the same exact engine so we think it will be a good purchase. The zero pecent financing is very appealing as well. We found a 2011 Mazda 6 iSport for $19,550. I think it's a basic package. What do you think of this price? (We're in northenr Cal.)
  • mrchuck1mrchuck1 Posts: 21
    Good Deal! My experience with Mazda is great. They stand behind it. Solid warranty.
    My 2010 Mazda 6iGT is outstanding, as is my dealer in Tyler, TX.
  • My sense is the deal sucks. I haven't looked it up for you - you can do the footwork, but I'll tell you were to do your research. www.trucar.com and autotrader.com Without doing research on those sites you won't have a clue as to whether you are anywhere in the ball park. Trucar is an especially good site, and you should not settle for getting just an average mediocre deal. My view is there is no excuse to get a really great deal unless you have money to through away. I even believe you can do better than at trucar -there best numbers, but at least that will give you some measure of what is a successful purchase.
  • I'm hoping to get some speedy feedback because I need to make a decision by tomorrow.

The car: 2011 Mazda 6 s Touring (3.7 6 cyl engine) with sun roof and cloth seats. (Location of dealer - central New Jersey)

MSRP $27,795

I pay: $25,000 inclusive of 7 % sales tax, delivery charge, 4 year registration and documentation fees. This works out to a net price before taxes and charges of $22,698.

In addition, the dealer will add on a spoiler for $ 200 and if I trade in my 2002 toyota corolla with 185,000 miles on it they will deduct another $400.

Is this a good deal? They showed me an invoice which showed the car costing the dealer $26,250, but I don't know what kind of incentive or rebates the dealer received.

By way of background, we were practically set to buy a 2008 Mazda 6 3.0 6 cylinder car for $16,900 (exclusive of sales tax and other fees) from another dealer, until we learned that the 2008 cars have ford engines. THe new car dealer told us that the 6 cyl engines in the cars before 2009 had problems, but I don't know how true that is.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
  • des5des5 Posts: 88
    Going by your numbers, that's 5097 off sticker, near as good as it gets. If you qualify for Mazda loyalty or (get them to spoof it for you), that's another $500.

Regarding the "bad" engines, consider this: if he said the engines were fine, would be more or less inclined to buy the new one, or from this dealer? You get the new one if you want the size, features, warranty etc and are OK with the deal. The rest is sales propaganda.
  • Got a price quote as follows:

'11 mazda 6i GT w/ Technology Pkg. (Red Mica)

Sticker: 29,800

Offering 26,795 (they are willing to find the color I want, which is why the deal is not better). 0% financing and free oil changes/loaner cars for life and 8 yr/ 100k powertrain.

Thoughts?