Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• CarsDirect.com Display Price: $21,191.
    Local dealer says he would find the car for the above price. Options selected below:
     Engine: 2.3L DOHC 16-Valve 4-Cylinder w/VVT
     Transmission: 5-Speed Manual w/Overdrive
     Leather Seat Upholstery
     Comfort Package
     Premium Package
     Sport Package
     Power Moonroof
  • Just got my car today. I paid $500 over invoice and I am in SoCAL. Used e-mail to negotiate the price between dealers. Watch our fo dealers claiming to have the car you want, only to find out they try to dealer trade once you are serious to get the car. Most dealers won't trade their 6's to another dealer. Use the MazdaUS website to locate inventory at several dealers. Most of the dealers have an online department that you can e-mail. Great way to buy a car even though they tried to low ball my trade-in. Use the Kelley Blue book site to determine what you should get. I had a 96 Honda Civic EX to trade-in, Kelly listed trade-in between $3400 to $4200. Got several dealers to agree on the $500 over invoice but the bidding war was over the trade in. Settle for $4000. Thought I got a good deal, especially with more people wanting the car, dealers will start getting more money for the car. Don't wait, price may escalate.
  • crv16crv16 Posts: 205
    Local dealer (Boston) is selling 6's for $3,000 off sticker, not a good sign, especially since it's only been out a couple months.

Quirk Mazda
  • I am picking up my Mazda6 s tomorrow. MSRP $25,825 Invoice $23,406. Paying $23,440 including $500 Mazda rebate from Chicago auto show. Purchased at Wilkins Mazda in Villa Park. Ask for Marty. Great guy and very helpful. Can't wait to zoom-zoom. I have been researching vehicles for 3 months and test drove many. Almost pulled the trigger on ans Audi A-4 for $29,000 but decided to go with the 6 since I rated them mostly the same and saved $5600. Oh, what a feelin. (OOPS, WRONG AD)
  • Ordered 7 weeks ago using the E-Plan pricing (our company insures Ford). Steel Grey Metallic Mazda6s, Auto, Sport Pack., black Leather, Comfort Pack, Power Moonroof, Mirror W/ Homelink, Cargo Net, Side air bags/curtains, ULEV emissions equipment, Wheel Locks and Bose sound system. MSRP was 26,800 and Dealer said it should be around 23,500-23,800. The E Plan pricing will be on the sticker when it come in.

Not all dealers were too interested in accepting preferred pricing. I had to go to Connecticut (I live in Mass.) to get it. I went to Modern Motors in Thomaston, CT. They were more than willing to offer this pricing. They also offered to match any competing loan APR. I went to Modern Motors as they are also a President's Club dealership for Mazda.

I also called Mazda headquarters about the preferred pricing and was told, "at this time it is up to the individual dealerships to decide whether or not they will accept preferred pricing".
  • Not everyone will go to an Accord, all things being equal with price.

In fact, it isn't even on my list because of the hideously configured tailights. And I know more than a few people who agree.

The funny thing is that the tailights on the coupe look great. Although they'll sell tons, they could have had more if they used the lights from the coupe. Honda blew it on this one, IMO
  • jmessjmess Posts: 677
    Basing a car buying decision on taillight design is a lot easier than trying to determine what the best value is. LOL. I was going to buy a Maz6 until I found out I couldn't get one equipped like I wanted without $3000 worth of stuff I didn't want. I how have an Accord EX with ugly tail lights but it has ABS, side airbags, and a moon roof. Maz may have got the taillights right but they sure screwed up the equipment bundles.

Both the I4 and V6 Accords have enough go power to show taillights to their Maz6 I4 and V6 counterparts. So they may even start to grow on you after a while?
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    how much did you pay for your 6?

oh sorry, wrong forum.
  • If you can live with the lights, that's fine. It's all subjective, right? I'm just saying I wouldn't.

As far as the bundling, I agree it could have been handled better, but I would be fine with the package choices as presented.

I'm still at least 6 months away from purchase, and if the 6s sport is still rare and pricey, I'll probably look at the Altima SE
  • jmessjmess Posts: 677
    With 6 months to go you may be able to get the car you want without a lot of extras you don't want. The wife liked the 6 because it felt like a smaller car to her but we bounced on the option bundles.

I may be taillight challenged since my other car is an IS300.
  • skyrayskyray Posts: 156
    A lot of you are attributing to Mazda what is actually a problem with the dealers, not the manufacturer.

And on-topic, I paid $500 over invoice, which I feel is eminently fair for such a new car, particularly since I'm getting the more popular 6s version. I did have to shop around to find that deal. I was actually willing to pay a bit more than that -- a dealer close to me offered $1,000 off retail, which was $777 over invoice. But they couldn't get the car in as quickly as I needed it, so I'm driving farther and getting a better deal.
  • I hear that Mazda is disentangling the options web this spring, and beginning in April many more (if not all) of the options and packages can be selected on a stand-alone basis. This is being done in response to consumer feedback, so apparently Mazda is listening.
  • Just ordered my Redfire Metallic 6s w/ Sport Package, Bose, Auto-Dimming Mirror & Homelink, Sport Grille, and Chrome fuel door for an out the door price of 23,300. That is with a $500 graduate incentive and an addition of 6% sales tax in Florida and $175 for the tag. Taking delivery before the end of March.
  • jcesmomjcesmom Posts: 1
    Just bought a basic 6i silver. New baby=no options. Still, it drove well, and I only paid $16500 for it. I read about the Altimas interior falling apart before 10K miles, so nixed it off the 'buy' list (see Popular Mechanics long term road tests). Picking up on Wednesday. I've also got a '98 626 which has been good to me so far, nothing major except the a/c belt & tensioner. Previous car: '93 Ford Probe w/170K on original clutch (it's being traded for the 6i). I'm getting rid of it only because it needs another catalytic converter to pass emissions. Otherwise, it'd still be going.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    A/T or M/T? If it's a manual, I'd say you have impeccable taste! I've got about 6,500 miles on my clone of your car and still love it.
  • mazda6sammazda6sam Posts: 20
    Paid $17,700, $100 over invoice. Could've gone down a few hundred more but I was given a great deal on my trade. So far, I love this car. I've alread looked at some 16x7 Motegi race wheels and window tinting. This thing is awesome!!
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Posts: 162
    What other packages do I have to silect in order to get a 6i with Manual and the sport package? Can i just get the sport package alone? This is very frusterating. Thanks!
  • prayerforprayerfor Posts: 161
    panama --

It's common that when a new model is launched, the manufacturer cranks out only a limited number of more desireable option combinations to get things up and running faster. I read someplace that Mazda is easing the restrictions on package combinations beginning with April production. After that time you will have much more latitude to configure the car just as you want it.
    Note that the web page is currently screwed up, so the option combos it insists on aren't necessarily valid. Your best bet is to actually check with a dealer.
  • cgam99cgam99 Posts: 2
    Just ordered a 6s, V6 M/T, Sport Package, Comfort, Bose, dimming mirror w/ Homelink, wheel locks. MSRP = $26,400, Invoice = $24,000. Paid $24,400. Bought in NW Houston.
  • psuf4ipsuf4i Posts: 16
    Redfire Metallic 6s:

Auto Tranny
    Moonroof
    Sport Package
    Comfort Pakage
    Bose
    Side Airbags
    Leather
    wheel locks

MSRP $26,275
    S-Plan Price $23,755 ($2,520 savings)
    PA Sales Tax (6%) $1,425
    Total Price $25,220
    Minus $500 college grad rebate
    I paid $24,720
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Posts: 188
    jcesmom, I too am in the Boston area. You got a tremendous deal on your 6. May I ask where you purchased it? I've been to 128 Mazda and Quirk; they advertise decent prices but I contact them and they're not all that eager to deal. Also, did you price out the base Altimas? What was the lowest price you got?......also, you and I must be reading the same magazines. Like you, I also read on the Pop Mech long-term update on their Altima--they hate the thing!! BUT perhaps it's just that particular example. I've read all the Altima owners' posts here at Edmunds and they seem to be much more forgiving.
    If you don't mind driving a bit, contact Autex Mazda in Keene, NH. I got my 6s from them last month. I made intial contact via email from the Mazda page and they were very helpful, and very willing to offer a great deal right at the beginning -- no haggling necessary.

At that time, they had a pretty good mix of 6s and 6i cars.
  • you ordered the sports pkg., but didn't list the moonroof as an option.

oversight, or in fact, they actually let you order without moonroof??
  • alcjewalcjew Posts: 173
    cgam99: Is that what the MSRP $26400 is for your 6? The MSRP on my 6s MT was $26040 and it had the same options, plus moonroof, SCA, sports grille, alarm sensor upgrade and aluminum (satin finish) fuel filler door. The salesperson also threw in all-weather heavy-duty floor mats (4).
  • captbcaptb Posts: 4
    Our local COSTCO Discount Warehouse offers a "discount car purchasing program" through authorized/participating dealers. It is hard to get specific information regarding the price, but have heard they offer a price $500 above dealer invoice. Has anyone used this program? Any comments or suggestions?
    CaptB,

Just go to Costco.com and hit the online form -- you can get information that way. I did it before buying my 6 and discovered "no participating dealers in your area." So... Might as well check and see if it's even an option before you bother spending much time on it.

I did finance through Costco's finance program, which is actually PeopleFirst.com (who advertises here on Edmunds). Great, super-easy experience, and a very low rate.
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Posts: 350
    We don't have Costco here, but we have Sam's Club. Back when my husband was looking to buy a new truck - his first BRAND NEW vehicle ever - we checked into the Sam's Club discount. Found a dealer that participates and as we were ordering the truck anyway, he said that we got a better deal with their "ordering discount" than the Sam's Club discount. Sam's Club discount was 2% over invoice cost of the vehicle (this was for Chevrolet - don't know if it differs by make), and our truck was like $27K or something. But if we ordered the truck, the dealer would just charge us $500 over invoice, which was a better deal. So that's what we used when we got his Silverado back in '99.
  • cgam99cgam99 Posts: 2
    In retrospect, it appears I left off a few options and details in my original post:

The car was "ordered" from the dealer's inventory, but it has arrived on the lot yet. It's scheduled for delivery this Thursday. The options I neglected to include are as follows:

Moonroof
    SCA
    Sports Grille
    Trunk Organizer & Cargo Tray
    Cassette (No plans to use it, but it was already in the car)

Hope this clears things up a bit.
  • toolman02toolman02 Posts: 59
    From what I've read in the various 6 forums, prices have quite a wide range from just over invoice to MSRP, so I want to gather some information from people and try to figure out any trends. I'm looking for anyone that has been given a quoted price. If you want to participate, send an email to: toolman at tamu dot edu.

Include the following information:

1) The city / state of the dealership
    2) Date you were given the qoute
    3) Amount over invoice not including any rebates. (if msrp, say how much over invoice that is)
    4) Car details (i or s, MT or AT, and Sport or non-Sport)
    and for grins:
    5) How many different Mazda6's you have seen on the road.

And to the inevitable question: Yes, I do have a lot of free time and will report my findings. :)