Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xB - Hip to be square

Comments

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I live in the Midwest but it would be awesome to ship a Scion here this summer and be the only person in hundreds of miles to probably have one. If a person did that, he/she'd definitely get lots of looks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It'll get looks even when it's a common vehicle. For now, oh yeah, it'll garner attention.

-juice
  • xcrnrxcrnr Posts: 1
    Anyone know of an aftermarket cc, perhaps by the same company that had one for the Prius, when it first came out and cc wasn't offered by "T"?
    Thanks for the great link!
    That might include tax. Leather and the alloys might be a grand each, plus whatever other options it had. It's common for dealers to heavily accessorize the first few cars.

-juice
  • lazlo3lazlo3 Posts: 6
    The 19,000 I paid was including tax and all the options. There was no negotiation on the price whatsoever with the dealer. Therefore, there is no such thing as a "good deal" on a scion. The leather seats were somewhat unnecessary, but they look and feel great.
    I also tested a matrix(I don't fit into it: my head rubs on the ceiling) and an element(too big for my garage, and the rear doors too weird).
    I am very happy with it - the car is perfect for my small family.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    So your sticker was about $17,000 or so. That sounds great fully loaded and with leather. Did your options include the cold air intake?
    You bet! I got everyting except the LED lights and various appliques
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    I'm also planning on getting a xB later this summer - this is a really terrific car. Just nitpicking here, but I found that the engine noise sort of resonates inside around 35-50 mph. Other than that it's quiet. Would like to hear your comments about engine noise.

What kind of mileage are you getting in just city driving?
    Just a thought, but you can use the stuff they use to insulate stereo equipment on the firewall to lessen engine noise.

-juice
    I am only on my third tank of gas, but I am getting around 30 mpg without ac use in the city.
    The engine noise is an issue when it is worked hard, I notice it around 3000 rpm. There are also some clanks and rattling sounds when I am going fast on the freeway. BUt they are nothing that i haven't experienced in other non-luxury cars.
    I find this appealing, it adds to the washing machine persona of the vehicle.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    you don't have to buy it from dealer stock, you can order one on the dealer net and get it a week later customized with exactly the accessories you want. Has anyone tried that, or did all the owners here buy from dealer stock?

Oh yea, and can you install the cruise control from the Echo, or some other Toyota?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    I saw my first xB tonight. It was silver and looked to be loaded! The first thing that impressed me was the size. It's not as small as I thought it would be. It IS narrow looking, though. All in all I liked the looks of it and the finish of the paint looked great. The driver, btw, looked to be around 20 so I guess it is attracting the demographics Toyota was aiming for.
  • jvkalrajvkalra Posts: 98
    I know colors are a matter of personal preference and very subjective. But has anyone seen both the thunder cloud and the white xBs?

The thunder cloud (dark silver) does look good, but I already have a silver car so that could be a little monotonous. For those who have seen the white xB I'm interested in hearing your comments. I don't really want the other darker colors because they show streaks more easily and are hard to keep clean.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    "Toyota's saga illustrates the sway young consumers hold. In addition to recasting its image, the carmaker is trying to persuade trendsetting teens and young adults - consumers who traditionally buy used cars - to buy their next vehicles right out of the showroom."

Look who's driving design (Christian Science Monitor)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• stragerstrager Posts: 308
    I've seen the white and thunder cloud side by side and to me the white makes the xB look like an old ice cream truck. The front seems to get more emphasized in the white.

I think thunder cloud is the most popular color, based on what I've read on other Scion sites. It's clear that buyers want lighter colors, I'd drop that cherry black and offer colors which can be identified on anything less than a bright sunny day. The black, blue and green just look like different shades of black from a distance.
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Posts: 121
    I read in the net that Scion will have a third model in June 2004. Does anyone know what it will look like?

I hope it will be like this one in Japan:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/funcargo/exter- ior/images/ex02_xga.jpg
    That's a funky little box. It would fit right in! :-)

-juice
    That's too xB like...they need something small and sporty, which is what I believe some Toyota official said the third one would be--a coupe I assume.
    I read that the Scion uses a no-haggle pricing scheme. If you have bought a Scion, can you confirm this? Thanks.
  • northwest1northwest1 Posts: 65
    Since they have a no-haggle policy, can I assume you can go to the dealer and place an order and wait for a base (no options) xB? Or are they only taking your order if you want one fully loaded?
    come set up one way (except for auto or manual, of course), and all available accessories are installed here at buyer's request. Since they are all ordered on-line through Scion's network, you could get a totally base one if that is what you want.

I guess this method reduces the Scion cars production cost.

BTW, any XB owners out there who can share the daily driving experience with us?

I am worried about the HP output (with auto transmission): the XB may be "pushed" around by the aggressive drivers driving BIG SUVs and fast cars. (Smaller cars don't get any "respect" here in NJ. :( It's a different story when I am driving my '94 Legeng GS :)
  • chris777chris777 Posts: 126
    is it in the floor or coming off of the steering column?

I have seen some pictures of the japanese version with it located in both places

also has anyone had a cruise installed on an xb, xa, or echo?

and while I'm asking I was wondering if after market cruise controlls were fairly reliable, and long lasting, ive had several people tell me its better to get options like that factory, since aftermarket seemed to be more troublesome.
    cruise is available at all on Scions, although I was wondering if they could install the cruise from the Echo given the mechanical similarities between the two.

The auto-shifter is on the floor and looks identical to the one on the Echo (as it very well may be!).

• chris777chris777 Posts: 126
    i have had a big problem with all these huge center consoles in nearly EVERY vehicle currently being produced

my right knee keeps banging them and I hate it

several months ago at the atlanta auto show they had a "hands off" bbx with sterio and body mods as well as an echo the console looked quite similar i sat in the echo and it didnt bother me that much

is the bbx the same way does it sit low enough to the floor that its not really a nusance
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I have a VW Golf but am interested in the bX. Does the rear seat fold flat to allow more hauling room? Does it flop forward in sections like on hatchback cars?

It's too bad Toyota shortened the length of the body, relative to the Echo. The extra storage space would be nice.

Can you fit a "big box" like a 32 inch tv in the back through the hatch? Or is it too narrow?

Does it look good for camping? The traction control sounds good for light snow. My VW, without traction control, was decent in light snow (the ABS kept me from skidding on stops).

How about with a baby seat in the back? Can you flop part of the rear seat forward?

I am assuming that the rear storage area with the seat fully up isn't that big. Am I right?
    in the back, not only fold 60/40 like hatchbacks, but come out completely if you so desire: http://www.scion.com/drive/features/drive_xb_features.html

and yes, the space behind them when they are in is pretty small. not quite Mini Cooper small, but smaller than RAVs rear compartment.

the "big box" you described would go in though, I am sure. As long as you took the back seats out. And it looks good for camping, as long as it is a party of two or so.

• micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    One was on the road in front of me on the last leg of my drive home last night. It doesn't look goofy like the Echo. In fact, although it is built on the same platform, it doesn't look like an Echo at all. It looks low to the ground, well planted, and very square - not rounded like my Golf hatchback. When it darted around traffic (street traffic) it didn't lean at all. The silver color looks nice.

I didn't see the front at all.
    have stated that they are very surprised by how little body lean the xB has, given its height. In fact, one review I read said that it has less body lean than the much smaller lower xA.