Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xB - Hip to be square

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    It is not covered by Toyota. It is covered by Jim Moran's SET, but getting work done to it outside that region is a hassle. Its not impossible, but a hassle. Furthermore, it is not covered by the Toyota Platinum warranty.

That doesn't mean it isn't a good deal at $250. I actually think that's a fantastic deal, but let's not pretend its something it isn't.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The stalk on the unit is the same one that is part of the kit sold by Toyota dealers in all regions for Tacoma and various other Toyota's. I would be surprised if any part of the kit other than the documentation is non-Toyota. Even though the kit is only offered through SET, perhaps non SET dealers will warranty it if they install it. Ask your local dealer.
    Cliffy - Would the dealership you work at warranty the unit?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The stalk is the same? Wow. I just spoke to my parts and service guys and they said the only way to do that is a complete jury-rig of the Scion. They were not able to answer the warranty question for me but said they would have to go through SET and not Toyota.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Posts: 698
    You should talk to Right Toyota.
  • carguy79carguy79 Posts: 23
    I worked for an accessory shop that installed cruise controls. This shop was owned by a man that owned a Toyota dealership supplied by Gulf South Toyota. The cruise servos, brackets and switches are all indentical and as far as I now mostly interchangable with the Audiovox branded electronic cruise control. I now work for one of Jim Moran's affiliate companies and drive a SET Toyota truck and my cruise is identicial to the ones we installed at the accessory shop that I worked for.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Pillars are kind of thin, but that does make for great visibility.

Volvo's pillars are wide, for instance.

-juice
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter wants to interview Scion drivers who live outside of California. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information by 5pm Eastern on tuesday, June 1, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    Cool, Dennis, that's you quoted about half way down, right?

-juice
  • scootertrashscootertrash Posts: 698
    Yes, I'll be selling autographed pictures of myself and my xB on eBay
    Hee hee, that's cool. PR Lady put me in touch with several journalists and helped me get quoted in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, and even a book (The End of Detroit by Michelle Maynard).

Enjoy the 15 minutes. ;-)

-juice
  • Does anybody know if the reliability of the scion xb will be the same as those for basically all toyotas? I realize that the car is fairly new in the United States but it has been around in Japan for awhile. I am quite young and looking forward to purchasing my first new car. I was hoping someone could help me out with the issues of reliability because this car will have to last me at least a few years.
  • tpat3tpat3 Posts: 119
    I have no doubt that an xB will last you more than a few years. Under normal driving and with routine maintenance, pretty much any new car sold today is going last longer than that. The xB has been sold for about four years in Japan and uses many "off-the-shelf" parts from other Toyota models. I own one and pretty much expecting it will be bullet proof.
    Congrats.

-juice
  • Hello All. Anybody getting good deals in SD, ND, NE, IA and MN. All the NO HAGGLE quotes I got are at MSRP.

Any dealers selling at less than MSRP?. May be these hotties are just launched in these states and would make me wait for some time before price settles down little bit.

Also Any reputed non-dealer shop to buy/get installed SCION MAKE accesories with out messing up with manufacturer warranty?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    CarMax in Kenosha is selling for less than $7 less than MSRP. Yes, I said $7.00.
    Don't expect to find any pricing deals on Scion. Even on the coast they still sell for MSRP.
  • Thx my friend. I guess patience is the virtue to success. History is witness that no car stays hot for ever and eventually come down in price. May be Scion would increase the production soon resulting in better deals earlier than expected.

I would wait for some time unless I get called earlier from hell/heaven.
    $7 under is probably just so they can say they have the lowest price. Interesting strategy, though.

-juice
  • socalsrt4socalsrt4 Posts: 5
    Even paying MSRP, the xB is a good deal. Sheesh, how much lower do you want to go?!

I'm finding out that my experience buying my 2005 must've been sheer luck and timing, because I went to the dealer, wanted white with a 5-speed and no add-ons. They had one with 1 mile on it (didn't even drill the front bumper yet for the license plate). Had them add the STB, aluminum door sill protectors, floor mats, fog lights, and a non-TRD 18" wheel/tire package, which totaled to a little over $18K out the door.

Could I have gotten it for less, probably. But when they had the exact one I wanted, and after figuring out the OTD price, I was happy with that.
    fitzmall.com has "internet prices" slightly below MSRP. A couple hundred.

Their "value price" is MSRP, but that includes 6 free oil changes.

Just an FYI for anyone shopping near DC or MD.

-juice