Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xB - Hip to be square

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    is one tiny tiny little van! :-)

I think I read someplace that 2/3 of all Americans are overweight or obese or something...will they fit in a Honda microvan?! :-P

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    would force many Americans to slim down. (Our weight and our oil usage)
    is cheap too. Only about $13.5K USD when converted from YEN to DOLLARS. In Automobile Magazine it gives the Mobillo a rating of a little over 9 out of 10, so in their opinion, it would do well. (Just look at the Scion xB) There is a Scion xB in Japan that is a 2 door model with a convertible type roof. (a la Jeep Wrangler) It would be nice to have a dependable car that looks great, sips gasoline, and has that roof like the Jeep Wrangler.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I've been reading rumors that Honda wants a Scion of their own, it just might happen.

I'm glad the xB is off to a good start, who needs 3 ton SUVs for a commute they usually do alone?

-juice
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    Absolutely!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    xB fans, check out the very favorable overall review in the September issue of Car and Driver.

~alpha
    This car is getting people to switch from their Hummer H1s into these things.
  • roomanrooman Posts: 10
    Incidentally, I was tailgated by an H1 this morning. Gee, I thought, this guy was driving a school bus right behind me…

We currently own a 1st generation (smaller) Odyssey, but in a few years when our little ones get older, we don’t even need a minivan, xB will serve us just fine. Come to think of it, its only $15K or so. For the price of a loaded 4WD Sequoia, you can buy 3 xBs!

I sure wouldn't mind to see more competitors such as the Nissan Cube, especially the new e-4WD, coming here:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2002/021012tokyo-nissan/

http://www.carbc.com/Car-Review-61.html
    They should make one in yellow, I think that's the H2's most popular color.

-juice
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    I also enjoyed the article in Car and Driver.

The bad thing is that I cannot get one where I live on the opposite coastline.

Here is a entreprenurial tip, go buy a car-carrying trucks worth and bring them over here and sell them for a little markup.

We can do what the texas guy did, but then it would be ready for its first oil change when it got here.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,937
    Toyota's efforts to attract Gen Y seems to be working:

Automakers target Generation Y (Star Tribune)

Steve, Host
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    People are selling barely used Scions for well over sticker all over the web. Same idea.
  • Any experiences out there with this option? Does it create a noticeable power difference? Worth the money? Thanks.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    The styling of the xB isn't that bad if you look at it at this angle:

Toyota did a much better job using a single styling element (square/rectangle shape) than Ford did on the 1996 Taurus (oval). The theming of the xB turned out much better, not to mention much more functionality.
    This car looks better than that 96' Taurus! By the way, some yellow paint wouldn't hurt? Wouldn't it?!
    average age of a Scion customer through July 13 was 39 -- the lowest in the industry by two years

That's a big, big plus. It's exactly what Toyota wanted. Elements are being snapped up by older folks, from what I've seen and read.

-juice
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Posts: 121
    I have a question about how they determine a customer's age. Consider the following example:

A 50-year old father takes his 20 year old son to buy a Scion. The father signs the papers and pays for the car. The son drives the car off the lot with his father. Now, the buyer's age is 50, but the driver's age is 20. There is no info on the purchase papers about the 20 year old driver...
    True, but that's the case for every manufacturer. Scion is selling to a demographic 2 years younger than any other manufacturer, that probably means lots of 22-34 year olds, that can afford to buy one and put in their own name, are buying them. That's really the only way to lower that average.

-juice
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Posts: 121
    True that the example can happen to any car manufacturers, but the probability of that happening is higher for those cars targeted for the Gen-Y (defined as those born between 1977 and 1994).

If I replace the above example saying a father taking his son to buy a Camry, you will probably think that I am smoking something funny. :)
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I saw a young guy today driving a red 2002+ Camry SE.