Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    When I last checked the 6 engine options, the 2.0L engine didn't put out 145hp (converting from metric units). Then again, I did think they swapped some ratings between the gas and diesel engines as well (for instance, I think the 1.8L gas engine had some puny hp rating and a phenomenal torque rating, at a relatively low engine speed...I thought that looked wrong), so maybe the chart I based my calculations on was wrong.
  • mazdanymazdany Posts: 28
    Are those ratings taking into account the US emissions standards? These usually take a few horses off of Euro and Japan spec engines.
  • wongpreswongpres Posts: 422
    mazdafun, yeah I was very surprised to hear the 148hp for the 2.0l too. I checked the hp ratings from the UK Mazda6 2.0l engine and it pumps out approx 140hp.

I suspect the 148hp was a typo from my source - my guess is 138hp (which makes much more sense).

I'm not sure which Geneva press day the MX Sportif will be introduced on (Mar 4 or Mar 5), but then we'll know the hp number for that engine (minus a few hp for N. America as mazdany says).

Update: New photos of the Sportif (including rear pics) at www.rx8forum.com, under the photo gallery board. It looks hot!
    As I recall, it put out just a little more power and torque than the current Protege 2.0L.
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    in comparison to the new one.
    I don't think that it makes much sense to expect JUST 8 hp improvement from such an advanced design.
    I suspect it will include the variable valve timing feature in NA, similar to its 2.3L cousin.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    The Corolla's engine is nice (power throughout the power band), yet the car's dynamics aren't... Imagine getting the WHOLE package!

Dinu
    http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2003_geneva/mazda/1.htm

I think we've talked about enough about the exterior, what do you all think about the interior? Very, very similar to the RX-8. Will be interesting to see what makes and doesn't make the production version.
    Ugh... forget the 6: this is IT!!!

What a nice interior!!! And unlike others here, I find the exterior likeable too.

I wonder how much one with the 2.3L, 5spd, ABS, A/C, Pwr win/locks, sunroof and rear spoiler will be in CAD: say $24K Preston?

Dinu
  • eteaetea Posts: 30
    I'm calling my dealer when I get back from Europe to get one..!

24k CAD sounds fair (although it's the price of a basic M6!), if you get leather seets.

Too bad I can't have it for this summer/autumn... that would have been so nice!

OK, let's play the wait game!

(Any thing on the availability in NA?)
    Dinu, good that you like it. I've actually known that this will be my first car since late 2001 (hence my crazy research on this car). But I'll be getting the sedan.

As for pricing, I suspect it'll be more expensive than the current Pro/P5, with the fully loaded ones just getting into 6 territory. The Pro is Canada's 3rd best selling car so Mazda Canada has to be smart the 3.

etea, the production Mazda3 will debut at IAA Frankfurt (September). Sales in Germany start in October and I suspect it'll be a couple months earlier in Japan. Numerous MazdaUSA hints/expectations say Nov/Dec area. I suspect it'll be 1st quarter '04 for Canada.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    Sorry - but the speedo gauge and the side view make me wonder why Mazda has gone and imitated the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. They could do so much better!

The specs, engine and front/rear are impressive, though. I am not a big fan of the section behind the C pillar (side view).

Like the instrument panel and stack - very 6-like, but without the shiny plastanium. Also noticed the same popup style compartment in the center of the dash - cubby-hole now, navigation later, perhaps?

I STILL like the Mazda 6 hatch much better :)
    I'd rather have a loaded (see sunroof) 3 than a GS 6 lacking it. I also prefer smaller cars, so there's another reasin why the 3 would make more sense for me.

Dinu
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    Vad wrote:
    I suspect it will include the variable valve timing feature in NA, similar to its 2.3L cousin.

Sorry, I have to disagree, as I wrote above, the 2.0l on Mazda6 sale in europe doesn't have the VVT.

Bruno
    To the best of my knowledge, the europeen engine has sligly higher hp, less torque and higher rpm than its US counterpart.

Let's take an example: for 2.3l engine, UK vs US specs are:

- Power (hp): 165@6500 vs 160@6000
    - Torque (lb.ft): 153@4000 vs 155@4000
    - Compression ratio: 10.6 vs 9.7
    - Gas: premium vs regular

Engines in UK and US are usually coupled with the same manual gear box.

Same thing happens with the current 2.0l on the Protege5/Protege for UK and US.

Here is the spec of the new 2.0l in the Mazda6 in UK:

- Power: 141hp @6000
    - Torque: 134 lb.ft @4000
    - Compression ratio: 10.8
    - Gas: premium

My guess is the new 2.0l for the Mazda3 in US will have around 135-136hp, 135-136 lb.ft, a compression ratio less than 10, and can run with regular gas.

Bruno
    Dinu posted this on the Mazda3 sedan board (from a UK source covering the Geneva autoshow):

"The concept car features a 2.0-litre, 147bhp engine producing 138lb ft of pulling power. It will be joined in the 3 range by 1.4- and 1.6-litre petrol units, as well as at least one common-rail diesel."

So I suspect the N. American version of the engine will be somewhere around 140-145hp.

ashutoshsm, I completely agree with you about the gauges. I'm not familiar with the interior of the Matrix/Vibe, but the MX Sportif gauges look just like the Altima, '04 Maxima (and a few other new Nissan's), and I don't like them either. I much prefer the gauges on the Mazda6 (and Mazda2) to those of the Mazda3 (and RX-8).
    The concept has transparent light covers... but I assume that the 'normal' version will not?

In that case, how easy is it to get these and have them changed? Is Mazda selling them?

I know how to do my oil changes and basic maintenance so I guess I could do that myself, just wondering where you get those, as it's not really "tuning"...

Thanks!

Etea
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    I will bet you $1 those wonderfully bolstered seats won't make it over to NA
    I wonder if those big triangular C pillars would obstruct the back visibility. I hate my sister's Open Astra for this very reason.

Bruno
    The other one probably would greatly obstruct visibility.
    where do they put the key lock of the hatch?

where does the radio antenna go (on the windshield?)?

and what is this thing on the right side of the shifter that looks like a remote control?

Bruno
    There is a way to place your car's mirror that will completely get rid of the blind zone (for objects such as cars).

This method is approved by the SAE (Societiy of Automotive Engineers).

The main issue is that by looking at the windows, you lose precious reaction time (especially true on highways).

I see everything without having to rotate my head more than to look at the mirrors.

WARNING: This method takes some time to get used to it and you SHOULD keep looking through the side windows until you feel totally confident with this new way.

It is really special as you wont see the car behind you in the side mirrors (it was duplicate info from the rear mirror).

I invite you to read this document: http://www.sts.sae.org/membersonly/blindzone/index.htm
    Hummm, by complaining about the visibility I get for free a lesson about adjusting my mirrors. Two comments first:

1. I don't know if we are talking the same thing but for me the problem of looking at the back window on the highway is NOT reaction time, but rather one have to leave the eyes momentally on what happens in the direction where the car is moving.

2. I usually do not need to look through the back window while driving, because: first, I usually know constantly what is going on all around my car, second: I have my side mirrors adjusting very outward (100% out on my P5) thus I only need to check through the front windows a fraction of second to cover the blind spot. That the way I'm doing for years and years...

Now back to the lack of visibility

1. have you ever tried to backpark into a tight spot with the car like the Open Astra?

2. Sometime the only way to eliminate the blind zone is looking through the back window. For example when entering into a highway from the ramp: the directions of our car and that of the on-going traffic are converging and our side mirrors can't possibly cover another car coming closer from a side.

3. Car design that has a bad visibility will no double compromise the safety, regardless the style of driving. I would reject the car if I don't feel totally comfortable of driving it. Lack of visibility certainly could make me very uncomfortable.

Bruno
    Looks like the remote from the 6 for the NAV system. This isn't currently available in NA, but is in Europe and Japan. Might be coming in 2004 to NA.
    "where do they put the key lock of the hatch?"

There's no external keyhole for the hatch. The MX Sportif is a concept car. The door handles are also conceptual and don't have a exterior keyhole either (production door handles will be like the Mazda6).

"where does the radio antenna go (on the windshield?)?"

Again, concept car, so they kept it clean for showcar purposes. Production antenna will be like the current Protege5.

"and what is this thing on the right side of the shifter that looks like a remote control?"

As mazdafun says, it's the remote control for the NAV.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    Being small & comfy rules! Who can stand Mazda6's huge turning circle?

VW, BMW, & Toyota make quiet small cars. Are you gonna do it this time, Mazda?

Close-ratio 5-sp? 2.3L is big enough to handle this little car. Offer a wide ratio! Or I'll have to increase tire diameter again this time like what I did w/ my '90 Protege LX-- still suffering from the noise today since day 1.
  • artdechoartdecho Posts: 337
    Don't think they can raise the price much over the current one.....gotta keep the sedan competitive with Corollas, Civics, Focuses etc. and the P5 in the game with Matrixes, Vibes, ZX5's etc. The 6 is pretty competitive with it's competition and I would expect the 3 to follow suit.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Mazda's are usually priced anywhere from 300 dollars to 1,000 dollars under Honda and Toyota's entry's. I could see the the 3 being higher priced than the Focus because of the Focus's dismal reliability record.
    The wheel base and wide tread are larger than the Protege5's. Hope that the car isn't getting too big. The 18" wheels look nice, but what's the advantage having such big wheels? I guess big wheels would not come down to the production.

Bruno
This discussion has been closed.