Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    correct me if I'm wrong but I read that the new 2.0l engine will not be equipped with the variable valve timing (VVT) as in the case of the new 2.3l and the 3.0l V6 on the Mazda6.

Bruno
  • mikusmikus Posts: 109
    ...do not add "aero" cladding as part of "Sportif" package. Make it totally separate. You have already uglified american Mazda6 enough. And please, bring CVT!

And what is up with Peugeout 307 styling?

Now I just have to wait: either Matrix with 2.4 (I hope on this), or Mazda3 with 2.3 Yeah!
  • wongpreswongpres Posts: 422
    They're starting to work on the packaging for the Mazda3 now. Here's some preliminary info:

4-door sedan:
    - 2 models, Mazda3i and Mazda3s (like the Mazda6). 2.0l (148hp) for the i, and 2.3l (160hp) for the s.

5-door wagon:
    - only one trim with the 2.3l engine
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    148 and 160 HP?

That's a lot for a small car.

Tee Hee! Can't wait to find out more :)

Dinu
  • bpwpr5bpwpr5 Posts: 9
    I wasn't aware that the 4-door would get the 2.3--where is this info coming from? It would make sense, but I don't know if it would continue to be Mazda's volume leader given the obvious price difference between the two engines--how many new "Proteges" could they sell at that elevated price? Nonetheless, I hope what you say is true! The 2.3 for the 5-door is almost a sure bet, though.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I wonder what 2.0l engine that is. Anyone know if it's the Zetec?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    YOU'RE asking that, malt?

Now, I'm going to leave before the flaming starts. ;)
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I'm curious...where do they get a 148hp 2.0l from?
    From my understanding, the 2.0l for the Mazda3 is the one from the European and Japanese Mazda6 (and a variant of this engine is also in the MX Sportif showing this week in Geneva).
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    This engine - 2.0 L - is from the new Mazda designed Duratec HE family as it's being called in the Ford products (displacing 1.8, 2.0 and 2.3L).
    It's available in the European Ford Mondeo and Mazda6.
    When I last checked the 6 engine options, the 2.0L engine didn't put out 145hp (converting from metric units). Then again, I did think they swapped some ratings between the gas and diesel engines as well (for instance, I think the 1.8L gas engine had some puny hp rating and a phenomenal torque rating, at a relatively low engine speed...I thought that looked wrong), so maybe the chart I based my calculations on was wrong.
  • mazdanymazdany Posts: 28
    Are those ratings taking into account the US emissions standards? These usually take a few horses off of Euro and Japan spec engines.
    mazdafun, yeah I was very surprised to hear the 148hp for the 2.0l too. I checked the hp ratings from the UK Mazda6 2.0l engine and it pumps out approx 140hp.

I suspect the 148hp was a typo from my source - my guess is 138hp (which makes much more sense).

I'm not sure which Geneva press day the MX Sportif will be introduced on (Mar 4 or Mar 5), but then we'll know the hp number for that engine (minus a few hp for N. America as mazdany says).

Update: New photos of the Sportif (including rear pics) at www.rx8forum.com, under the photo gallery board. It looks hot!
    As I recall, it put out just a little more power and torque than the current Protege 2.0L.
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    in comparison to the new one.
    I don't think that it makes much sense to expect JUST 8 hp improvement from such an advanced design.
    I suspect it will include the variable valve timing feature in NA, similar to its 2.3L cousin.
    The Corolla's engine is nice (power throughout the power band), yet the car's dynamics aren't... Imagine getting the WHOLE package!

Dinu
    http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2003_geneva/mazda/1.htm

I think we've talked about enough about the exterior, what do you all think about the interior? Very, very similar to the RX-8. Will be interesting to see what makes and doesn't make the production version.
    Ugh... forget the 6: this is IT!!!

What a nice interior!!! And unlike others here, I find the exterior likeable too.

I wonder how much one with the 2.3L, 5spd, ABS, A/C, Pwr win/locks, sunroof and rear spoiler will be in CAD: say $24K Preston?

Dinu
  • eteaetea Posts: 30
    I'm calling my dealer when I get back from Europe to get one..!

24k CAD sounds fair (although it's the price of a basic M6!), if you get leather seets.

Too bad I can't have it for this summer/autumn... that would have been so nice!

OK, let's play the wait game!

(Any thing on the availability in NA?)
    Dinu, good that you like it. I've actually known that this will be my first car since late 2001 (hence my crazy research on this car). But I'll be getting the sedan.

As for pricing, I suspect it'll be more expensive than the current Pro/P5, with the fully loaded ones just getting into 6 territory. The Pro is Canada's 3rd best selling car so Mazda Canada has to be smart the 3.

etea, the production Mazda3 will debut at IAA Frankfurt (September). Sales in Germany start in October and I suspect it'll be a couple months earlier in Japan. Numerous MazdaUSA hints/expectations say Nov/Dec area. I suspect it'll be 1st quarter '04 for Canada.
This discussion has been closed.