Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,579
    (and most Mazda3 are pretty sporty, compared to the average Civic or Corolla)

Mazdas tend to be more driver-oriented than the equivalent Hondas and Toyotas. There's certainly a market for inexpensive yet fun to drive cars. Honda used to be the major player in that niche, but now -like Toyota- their cars are becoming plain vanilla transportation appliances(Civic Si and S2000 excepted).

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    Like I said, while YOU feel that way, I'm sure most people would rahter have better fuel economy.
    I'm sure most people would rahter have better fuel economy.

I guess that explains why a lot of Mazda dealers have put ADM stickers on their Mazdaspeed3s- and also why you can't get one on S Plan... :surprise:
    Look, I've done the math; if I drive 15,000 miles per year and average 22 mpg I'll use 682 gallons of gas. At $3.50 per gallon that works out to $2387. So, let's assume I buy a fuel sipper that will average 35 mpg. In 15,000 miles I will have used 429 gallons, which at $3.50 per gallon would amount to $1500- a savings of $887. That's $74 a month, or less than $2.50 per day. From my perspective, $2.50 a day is an extremely small price to pay to drive a car that makes me grin every time I slide behind the wheel.
    But to each his own...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    As the price of gas goes up (and it will continue to do so), that number gets bigger. I'm not saying cars that put a smile on your face should go away. I'm saying auto makers should be more focussed on building more fuel efficient vehicles than they currently appear to be.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Look, I've done the math; if I drive 15,000 miles per year and average 22 mpg I'll use 682 gallons of gas. At $3.50 per gallon that works out to $2387 ... a fuel sipper that will average 35 mpg. In 15,000 miles I will have used 429 gallons, which at $3.50 per gallon would amount to $1500- a savings of $887.

Remember that the Mazdaspeed3 uses premium fuel and the Mazda3 uses regular; the fuel savings would be around $1000 per year.

Since most drivers keep their cars for more than one year, one should also calculate the difference over a longer period (like 3 or 5 years). So, that would mean the Mazdaspeed3 is now $3000 to $5000 more than the Mazda3.

Also, one should also factor in the additional maintenance required for the turbo speed.

But, as you say, to each his own. The Mazdaspeed3 is an impressive machine.
  • I notice that the 06 and older models ground clearance is a little higher -5.90 vs. 4.8 on newer models, 4.8 does seems low to me since we have snow/slush 5 months out of the year just wondering your take!? :surprise: :confuse:
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    Quick suggestion, before you order one (if the dealer will even do that)- use the inventory search tool on Mazda's website. It requires a zip code and will search up to a 150 mile radius from it. If you want to expand your search beyond 150 miles, look up a zip code that is roughly 200 miles away or so. Of course, you'll have to travel to wherever you locate it to buy it but it might be worth it.

That's exactly what I did back in 12/05 when I was looking for my MZ3 5-door. I'm in Atlanta, but the closest ones I could find in Titanium Gray with manual transmission were in Knoxville TN and Charlotte NC. I ended up getting almost $2k off sticker from the dealer in Knoxville and it was well worth the three hour trip to get exactly what I wanted and not wait for it.

Your chances of getting much of a discount on an ordered car are pretty low, too. Buying one on the lot will always be a better deal as long as it's what you want.
  • gib11gib11 Posts: 47
    Not sure. Some people will be fine with plain vanilla ice cream, others will want a little more like chocolate coating, more expensive but much better, By the way Mazda rose its sale almost 30% in 2007 in the US selling almost 100k MZ3, not bad for a 4 year old style. Thats double the sale since 2004. The MZ3 has bigger motor (more HP and torque), bigger tires, and heavier cars, and still manage to be more fuel efficient than the elentra, focus, VW rabbit, jetta, Astra, caliber, optra, kia rio, rondo, sentra, cobalt (170hp, and even thge Honda fit (cruising at 70mph). IMO, the MZ3 is still a very fuel efficient car for what you get.
  • The reason why you probably didnt get many responses is because this topic has been covered quite a bit on these forums (you have to do some digging).

In any case, there's a topic about people's real world fuel economy and one also about the differences between the 2.0 and 2.3 engines.

Briefly, the 2.0 is fairly fuel efficient and looking at Consumer Report's numbers it's not that far off from the Civic in real world use. The 2.3 will not net you tons more power but it is noticeable. For me, the biggest difference is in the smoothness of the 2.3 engine. It often feels more like a v6 than a buzzy i4.

As for whether Mazda is behind Toyota and/or Honda in engine tech, it probably is considering the relative size of the R&D departments (even taking into consideration being partnered with Ford). Still, Mazda really is not dramatically behind. You have to remember that Mazda tends to design their engines with a flatter torque curve; their gearing is more aggressive as well. Some people find driving Honda i4 to be frustrating as they need more revs (in general) to achieve the same power. Thus, there are tradeoffs for the increased fuel economy observed in say a Civic vs. a Mazda3.

If what you really care about is fuel economy, then a Mazda is probably not the way to go. I would venture you should look at a hybrid if you are saving the world or a Civic (maybe even a B class vehicle) if you are saving money.
  • I am going to be road racing my 3s hatchback this coming summer and I'm wondering if anyone else is currently racing one? If so has anyone run into problems installing a SCCA approved rollcage such as driver seat movement, visability and if you can still use the rear seat or is that lost?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated as the purchase and installation is forth coming this winter.

Thanks
    If so has anyone run into problems installing a SCCA approved rollcage such as driver seat movement, visability and if you can still use the rear seat or is that lost?

I don't know about the 3 in particular, but installing a roll cage almost always compromises or eliminates rear seat accomodations. You also must remember that even a padded cage can present a danger to a passenger who isn't wearing a helmet. You might need to check some boards that are more competition oriented.

• gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 337
    Dumb question maybe, but do the small triangular rear "quarter windows" in the 5-door hatch open? I forgot to check this when we test-drove one today.
    Dumb question maybe, but do the small triangular rear "quarter windows" in the 5-door hatch open?

Not dumb, I never thought to ask either. They are fixed on my 2007 Mazdaspeed3. It would be cool if you could open them, though.

I was aware of the Mazda3, but had not really looked at one since we are typically GM people and were eagerly waiting for the new Saturn Astra to become available. So I jumped on it when Saturn offered a signup for a special preview test drive, and last Thursday we went to see what the car was like. We were already concerned by some missing features on the Astra (such as interior storage space!), but were prepared to overlook it to get the type of car that we were looking for.

At the test drive, they also had some competing cars to try (Civic sedan, Rabbit 3-door, Mazda3 5-door), and their first mistake was in the colors of the cars in their display: all the Astras and two of the competitors were in the usual white/black/gray shades, but the Mazda3 was sitting there like a jewel under the lights in Phantom Purple. Seriously, my eyes went right to it, and when we took a closer look we found all sorts of features over the Astra (usable console & armrest, cupholders, auto-climate control, etc.).

The test drive was even better, as the Mazda has about 15hp over the underpowered Astra, plus the 5-speed automatic over the 4-speed in the Saturn. Both my wife and I came out pretty underwhelmed by the Astra and impressed with the Mazda, so we visited the dealer on Saturday and have all but picked out our car (still deciding on color). And since my company supplies both GM and Ford, I get about the same discount on either.

I'd say that Saturn's test-drive policy sort of backfired on them. Without this, we never would have looked closely at the Mazda.
  • Howdy...

I'd go with the Phantom Purple myself...that color is truly unique and mysterious in its own way, speaking for myself! ;)

I hope Ford enables Mazda to feature it's new SYNC with all Mazdas in time, especially the 3 model.

As far as the Astra is concerned the jury is still out on that one for my Lady and myself. I've seen the 5dr version in various websites and I wasn't all that impressed. The 3dr model holds promise, IMHO. Time will tell...

Enjoy your new wheels, Mr. & Mrs. !!!

Peace<-AladdinSane-< :shades: -
    Great story! In my case I tend to prefer BMWs, but I recently bought a Mazdaspeed3 and haven't looked back. It makes my daily commute VERY entertaining. I'll always have a Bimmer in the garage, but the MS3 is an unbeatable performance bargain.

• I need to remove the cover over the Drivers side rear tire on my 05 MAZDA 3
    Hatchback in the cargo area.Short of breaking it I'm out of idea's.Any help
    would be greatly appreciated
    Well, I just ordered our Mazda3 Grand Touring in the Copper Red that is one of the previous colors that is coming back in January. This is exactly the color that we were looking for, so we're pretty fired up about this car.

It will probably not get here until late February, but that's not a problem since I never liked the idea of getting a new car in the dead of winter in Michigan anyway.
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 479
    Cool! That is a sharp color. Did you pay full MSRP doing a special order like that? I was lucky to find the exact color, trim, and options (none) that I wanted on the lot at the dealer closest to my home, and their internet sales guy took $1100 off MSRP without batting an eye.
  • qddaveqddave Posts: 164
    hey gordonwd! where are you in MI? I'm in GR. I have a '06 sport 5-door in copper red and I love it. funny thing, my wife has an '08 CWP 5 coming. should be here in january. I've never been a believer of getting a new car in the winter either, but I'm from northern ontario. this michigan winter stuff is child's play. enjoy your new 3!
    We ordered a GT with the moonroof/BOSE package, which is exactly how the dealership orders all their GTs, so it's really not a "custom order" -- just reserving the first one in Copper Red that they get. I get a Ford "supplier discount", so the price is set for me no matter what. It's worth about $2K.

The price might go up slightly on these mid-'08 models too, since the GT now has a power seat and there are a few other upgrades. The value of the dollar vs. yen might also affect the new price.

ahightower: I'm in the Detroit area, and the winter issue is more about driving a nice new car in the salt and slop than being able to get thru it. My own car is a BMW 325i, and we've had so little snow since I got it in '04 that I've easily made it thru three winters on the stock all-season tires. I finally got a set of full winter tires this year, so am hoping for more snow ;) . The most fun I had in the winter was with my Audi A4 Quattro AWD.

The Mazda3 will be my wife's car, and I expect it will do OK for the limited winter driving that she does.
    My own car is a BMW 325i, and we've had so little snow since I got it in '04 that I've easily made it thru three winters on the stock all-season tires. I finally got a set of full winter tires this year, so am hoping for more snow

I've found that once you are truly prepared for winter weather you don't get any; we haven't had any significant winter weather in KY since I bought winter tires for the Wrangler and my wife picked up the X3... :P

BTW, I love Copper Red; the dealer that sold me my Mazdaspeed had a beautiful CR RX-8- but the back seat was too cramped for my 5'6" 13 year old son :(

• February 4, 2008

Mazda announces mid-year enhancements to Mazda3

Richmond Hill, Ontario - Mazda has announced mid-year enhancements to its Mazda3 line-up, including a new entry-level Mazda3 Sport GX model for the 2008 model year.

Unique to Canada in the North American market, the new 2008.5 Mazda3 Sport GX uses the same 148-horsepower, 2.0-litre engine found in the current Mazda3 GX and GS sedans. The new trim line includes 15-inch steel wheels, body-coloured grille, GFX front and rear bumpers, fog lamps, anti-lock brakes, side and curtain airbags and CD stereo with four speakers. An available Comfort Package adds power locks and windows, power heated mirrors, keyless entry, illuminated entry, wheel-mounted audio controls, spoiler and 15-inch alloy wheels.

Air conditioning and an automatic transmission are also available as options.

The Mazda3 Sport GS now receives air conditioning, rear spoiler, cruise control and two additional speakers as standard equipment, while the Mazda3 Sport GT receives additional standard equipment, including Xenon headlamps; its Luxury Package now also adds a power driver's seat and Bose audio with Sirius satellite radio.

The Mazda3 sedan also receives additional equipment content, with the GX gaining two extra speakers and body-coloured mirrors, along with a Comfort Package similar to the Sport GX.

The GS sedan receives body-coloured grille and standard 16-inch alloy wheels, previously available as a GS Sport Package, and will have only a stand-alone sunroof as an option. Similar to the Sport GT, the Mazda3 sedan GT receives Xenon headlamps and additions to its Luxury Package.

Pricing for the models will be available at a later date.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Pricing for the models will be available at a later date.

It will be interesting to see how Mazda deals with the recent rise of the Canadian dollar in its pricing. Several manufacturers are introducing New Canadian pricing to address the issue. Unfortunately, this is not across the board and is sometimes applied only to higher end models. As a consumer we should insist on having a clear explanation why Canadian prices do not match US prices considering our dollars are at par and the models are virtually identical.
  • Hi All,

Could you tell me how the hatchback does in snow? Do you put snow tires on?
    Is the traction control helpful? I read it was pretty low to the ground 4.8in. Any one have problems w/ scaping, bottoming out? Thank you
  • gib11gib11 Posts: 47
    True the 3hatch is low, true it scrapes the bottom, but it works fine in snow (road, highway)
  • the hatch is horrible in the snow with the factory 17" wheels and tires. Had to make several runs up my hill 2006/2007 snow season. for 2007/2008 I bought 16" steel wheels with blizzaks and it works great. No problems at all, I certainly recommend the 16" steel wheels with good snow tires
  • I found that my 06 hatchback handled very poorly in snow and ice with the stock 17" tires. I purchased a spare set of 16" rims and put on snow tires (Dunlop) and have had no problems. In real deep stuff the clearance may be an issue, but so far so good.
  • exit123exit123 Posts: 136
    Does anyone have any reliable info on the 2009 Mazda3?
This discussion has been closed.