Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    The Mazda3 does not have a pollen filter.

fowler3
  • Options
    shroudshroud Member Posts: 78
    But I sure was shocked to open the door and see how much of it had! Like, a half-centimeter of it in places! It was horrible.

Anyway, I have "eased up" today on the car. Today the weater is just as lousy as yesterday (although I parked in my garage and under the outdoor parkade cover. The heater did ok - no fogging up. I guess yesterday I just had a bad experience and combined with the crappy drive home, long work week etc I blew my stack. It's not so bad.

The wipers suck though. They frequently make a horrid screech on the way back down. Gotta replace those.

:)

Jarrett

(I love the car. I just point out the bad stuff because gushing about the good stuff all day would be boring - you've all heard that from everyone already).
  • Options
    Normal conditions means a sunny day with the temperature at +27C (80F). Everything else is "extreme". ;)

fowler3
  • Options
    gazelle2gazelle2 Member Posts: 38
    Sounds like the fogging issue may well be a product of this god-awful winter, which is no doubt more severe in Alberta than Princeton, NJ. My 3 hatch has only 400 miles on it, but free of CEL, fogging, or any other problems thus far. Except for the fact that it doesn't have the get-up-and-go of my VR6 GTi, it is a very satisfying car to drive, minus VW's many reliability woes.
  • Options
    howhohowho Member Posts: 77
    you and I know that we can experiment with all kinds of settings, and get better results.

but only when the Mazda 3 God smiles upon us (bluong1) and tells us EXACTLY what to set the stuff at will we get fog free perfection...
  • Options
    petpadpetpad Member Posts: 153
    I agree with the majority that we need to take a deep breath and relax, and that nobody here is "stuck" with an "award-winning" Mazda3... We all knew going into this that this was a first-year production vehicle, and what a vehicle it is.

To get back to more mundane subjects, I was following (for the 1st time I may add, a white TSX on the Queensway (local highway going through Ottawa) and I was having mixed feelings : ie wondering what this guy thinks of the Mazda 3 behind him, while envying him for owning a TSX... but in the end I assume he knows that the 3 behind him is 12K cheaper... The TSX trunk lid by the way is very small, similar to the Mazda3.

My son is upset about the 3 clock as it shows 7:29 p.m. as 19:29 p.m. I explain to him the benefits of having to learn instantly how to read a 24h clock but he doesn't buy it. I'm ex-military so a 24hr digital clock means squat to me, but for a 11 y-old, he hates having to substract 12 every time...

Fog issues were under control today, but cold has left Ottawa for a while...

Pet
  • Options
    zc1zc1 Member Posts: 34
    Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that the windows wouldn't have frosted if there hadn't been snow in the vehicle, just that they wouldn't have been so bad (i.e. to the point where they wouldn't defrost by the time he got home). Temps were ridiculous around here this week so some degree of fogging was inevitable.
  • Options
    x_typer_pilotx_typer_pilot Member Posts: 82
    First, I was waving as I passed by High Point, NC this past week - GO PANTHERS!

I want to clarify something about what you put in a prev post.

"Hot air will not hold moisture, that's why moisture condenses on the windshiled. And why wet air from the Gulf of Mexico falls as rain or snow when it meets cold air from Canada over the Mid-Atlantic states."

In fact, hot air can hold far more moisture than cold air. It only deposits that moisture as precipitation (in the case of a warm, moist air mass travelling northward into cooler air) or as condensation (a warm, moist air mass coming in contact with a cool, dry surface)

The rest of your post makes sense to me, but I wanted to point that out for others just in case.
  • Options
    x_typer_pilotx_typer_pilot Member Posts: 82
    Guys... (and gals)

Don't get all hung up on the condensation/fogging issue. If my parents' $62,000 CAD Lexus RX330 does the same thing - don't sweat it, no pun intended.

The Mz3 is a great car, other cars have the same issue - it's not that big a deal for most of us. Granted, those in far northern areas will suffer more on account of the extreme cold - but that goes for all cars, not just the 3.
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Maybe the snow inside is a result of the missing pollen filter. I mean, the JDM and Euro models have it, right? Otherwise, the HVAC system is the same as on US and CA models. So, maybe it's just the fact that the filter isn't there that lets the snow in?
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Not sure about the Canadian model but I can change my clock to 12 or 24 hour mode. Check your owners manual.

I really only have a few minor complaints / observations about the 3

1. The radio volume control - 4 is too quiet but 5 is too loud.
    2. I miss automatic headlights - I may try and find a way this feature.
    3. I also miss the feature that automatically locks (when you start to drive) / unlocks the doors (when you take the key out) Hope to find a way to add this - but most likely will cost more that I will be willing to pay.
    4. Gas tank could be a little bigger - maybe 17 gallons - I normally don't like to be much under 1/4 of a tank - so it looks like I will be filling up about every 275-300 miles
  • Options
    osourceosource Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know the possible reasons why my door ajar light stays on in the mz3. I checked all the doors and trunk. It occurred after I took the car through a wash. It's cold here, could it just be ice build up due to the extreme temperatures messing with the sensors?
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
  • Options
    I hope so. That'll force the idiotic MazdaUSA to stop fooling around w/ the otherwise perfect 3 from over seas.

& bring over the DSC for the oversteering 3, damn it! Hey, how come no one complained about it driving on snow?
  • Options
    "...I was following (for the 1st time I may add, a white TSX on the Queensway (local highway going through Ottawa) and I was having mixed feelings : ie wondering what this guy thinks of the Mazda 3 behind him, while envying him for owning a TSX... but in the end I assume he knows that the 3 behind him is 12K cheaper... The TSX trunk lid by the way is very small, similar to the Mazda3."

& that small trunk also comes w/ a limited-view rear glass.

I followed our TSX recently while driving a rental Taurus. Despite the TSX has lots of suspension travel, I can sense its overly taut suspension setting over every bump simply by looking at it! You know what? If you can see it, it's pretty bad. Only the soft bushings that mask the harshness give the passengers the illusion that it doesn't ride that hard. How can anyone envy such car while following it?

Even though the 3 on AutoMotor und Sport TV also looks not very calm on road irregularities, at least it doesn't jerk as taut as the TSX.

Today, I saw MotorWeek showing the AWD G35 --looks like a shallow-riding car over their less-than-perfect narrow road, although the shock setting looks quite calm while doing slalom.

It was during '83 when I first noticed a new 626 along side an S-class after entering an unpaved road in front of our car. I hardly saw any movement from the S-class, but this short-spring early-day FWD Mazda started moving up & down constantly at high amplitude.

During late '80's, I was watching a foreign TV w/ a Laser(323) crossing a dip followed by an S-class. The difference this time isn't so much on the amount of up-&-down amplitude, as this newer Mazda design no longer got extremely short travel. It's the quickness of that "down-&-up" movement. The Mercedes may move about as much, but at a much slower rate that delays the movement to reduce g-force on its occupants. I finally learned why...

During the early '90's I noticed the interesting difference b/t the calm-shock-setting Mitsu Diamante that floats slowly vertically on the bumpy 110 fwy, while the Acura Legend, although perhaps w/ no-less spring length, along side the Mitsu simply rocks back & forth like a prancing horse.

It's amazing to see people all around me idiotic enough to misjudge the cars' ride comfort while doing visual check. I'm already irritated enough by those who think they can judge the car's rear leg room by looking at the knee room from outside the car!

One example was my girl cousin who was showing me how soft-riding this '87-91 Camry riding on the bumpy carpool lane to our left. She only sees the resilient wheel movement to the wheel well, but failed to notice how unserene the body movement was.

Another example, again on the next loser FWD Toyota plaform, was when my other cousin who drove his '97-01 Camry while got bounced up & down by a deep bump. His cousin driving behind him told him later that his Camry looked like it's got the suspension travel almost like a Citroen. Was he only trying to show how knowledgeable he is that he know what a Citroen is? Eventhough the springs may extend quite a bit due to the nature of soft-setting suspensions, but these 20th-Century Camrys got hardly any suspension travel to take bump compression.

pepad, its amazing you always bring up subjects that intrigue me!
  • Options
    weaponousweaponous Member Posts: 38
    Take a gander at some of the issues in their first build year. Most noticeably, annoying creaks and horrible gas mileage. There's issues there. I have a buddy who has one and hasn't experienced this as of yet, but it's amazing the volume of others that are...

I'll take fog any day!!
  • Options
    unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    It is funny how you find some people on this board that feel that it is okay for vehicles from other manufacturers such as Toyota, Honda etc to fog up. However, when a Mazda product does the same, they start yelling for a recall. Not every driver out there knows that defrost should not be used with 'recirculation' on or that if the windows fog the 'ac' should be used to dehumidify the interior. They are several times I have come across drivers with vehicle fogged up and the driver side widow slightly opened. This problem is not specific to the Mazda3.
  • Options
    gib11gib11 Member Posts: 47
    I don't have any problem with fog in my car, and I live in Montreal. Maybe what I do might help You resolve your problem.

1) put the vent power on position 2
    2) do not use "defog position", put the the "defog and foot heater position"
    3) do not put the air intake at "recycle position" but the air from the "outside air button"
    4) let the car run for 1 minute.
    5) Then Go, there shouldn't be any condensation on your windshield or side glasses.
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Someone on ebay is selling brushed aluminum (simulated) dash trim kits for the Mazda 3. I have to admit, they look really cool! He also has a large amount of positive feedback for his kits.

I have to admit Im tempted to try it with my black leather interior etc. Might look sharp. Any thoughts? Will it be totally fake looking? Anyone know someone that used a kit like this? My biggest fear is I will apply it crookedly, or it will start to peel off.

Jarrett
  • Options
    barry42barry42 Member Posts: 64
    Your #6076 My Mazda3 HB has a pollen filter !!
  • Options
    i think that they can be purchased directly from www.woodcorp.com. it also comes in many shades of faux carbon fiber, various solid color inserts, as well as a large variety of plood. i have no idea of the reputation of this site, so please check accordingly.

by the way, for all you non-canadians, welcome to your taste of canadiana. we hate our cars, we love our cars. changing your mind is a canadian custom that is near and dear. making a big deal about the trials and tribulations of stuff you buy is another custom, as it is culturally unacceptable to make a big to do about the country, so we project that feeling onto purchases instead.

and, those non-fogging mazda 3's in ottawa and quebec? there' re driven by acrobats and mimes who don't exhale very much.

;)
  • Options
    we want our pollen filters subsidized by the government as a health care item...
  • Options
    barry42barry42 Member Posts: 64
    I suffered with Canadian weather from the time I was born to my 28th birthday !! I understand the love - - hate relation with cars !! Now my stupidity is I moved too far south !!
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Model Starting S/N Ending S/N
    2004 MAZDA3 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
    2004 MPV 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ

Certain vehicles may come equipped with a Passenger Air bag Deactivation(PAD) system. Whenever PAD system components are repaired or replaced, the seat weight sensors (SWS) must be calibrated. Follow the procedure below to perform the calibration. Before starting, have ready the following: - Temperature meter (or equivalent) to measure ambient temperature - Voltmeter for measuring battery voltage - Two (2) 44 pound weights - Plastic cover to protect seat (do not exceed 0.4 lbs) Note 1: This procedure must be performed if PAD system components are repaired or replaced. Note 2: When "LIGHTLY PAT THE PASSENGER SEAT CUSHION" is displayed on any WDS screen, lightly pat five times across the headrest or upper side of the seat back of the passenger side seat. Note 3: The 44 lb weights must be accurate within 1% to properly calibrate the seat weight sensors. Mandatory calibrated weights (in 22 lb/10kg increments) will be shipped to all dealers with ETA of February 2004. Begin calibration procedure: 1. Connect WDS to vehicle and turn ignition key ON (do not start engine), and identify the vehicle specification. 2. Select TOOL BOX 3. Select BODY 4. Select RESTRAINTS 5. Select SEAT WEIGHT SENSOR REZERO PROCEDURE. Press tick. 6. Select option (1) When you have replaced any SWS(s) or SWS Module, and/or any seat part except SWS. Press tick. 7. Set ignition switch to OFF (Position 0). Press tick. 8. Make sure passenger seat is correctly installed and fully secured to the vehicle. Press tick. 9. Set the seat slide adjustment to the furthest rearward position. Do not touch the seat until further instructed. Press tick. 10. Confirm and keep the following conditions (as shown on screen). NOTE 1: Use voltmeter to measure battery voltage. NOTE 2: To place seat back in "most forward position", move forward then back until first click is heard. Press tick. 11. If vehicle was moved from a different location, at a different temperature, you must wait the specified time shown on screen before proceeding. The value "T" is the difference of the temperatures at: (1) location vehicle parked (2) location vehicle is calibrated NOTE: Use a temperature meter to measure temperatures. Press tick. 12. Lightly pat the passenger seat cushion. Press tick. 13. Set ignition switch to ON (Position II). Press tick and wait. 14. When screen shows "Would you like to proceed with SWS calibration?" Select "YES" and wait. 15. Put the specified weight of 44 pounds on the passenger seat (in the center). NOTE: Use plastic or paper to protect seat. Press tick. 16. Lightly pat the passenger seat cushion. Do not touch the seat until further instructed. Press tick and wait. 17. Screen will show: Did you place the specified weight on the passenger seat? Select "YES". 18. Did you replace both SWSs in this repair? Select "YES". 19. Set the seat slide adjustment to the furthest forward position. Place the specified weight on the passenger seat. Press tick. 20. Lightly pat the passenger seat cushion. Do not touch until further instructed. Press tick and wait. 21. Do you wish to calibrate SWS module using an additional weight of 88 pounds? Select "YES". 22. Put the specified weight of 88 pounds on the passenger seat (in the center). NOTE: It is recommended to add a second 44 pound weight to total 88 pounds (to reduce injury from lifting). Press tick. 23. Set the seat slide adjustment to the furthest rearward position. Press tick. 24. Lightly pat the passenger seat cushion. Do not touch the seat until further instructed. Press tick and wait. 25. Screen will show: Did you place the specified weight on the passenger seat? Select "YES". 26. Screen will show: Did you replace both SWSs in this repair? Select "YES". 27. Set the seat slide adjustment to the furthest forward position. Place the specified weight on the passenger seat. Press tick. 28. Lightly pat the passenger seat cushion. Do not touch the seat until further instructed. Press tick and wait. 29. Remove the weight (ie: all test weights) from the passenger seat. NOTE: Remove weights one at a time to reduce injury. Press tick. 30. Set the seat slide adjustment to the furthest rearward position. Press tick. 31. Lightly pat the passenger seat cushion. Do not touch the seat until further instructed. Press tick and wait. 32. Screen shows: Calibration successfully completed! Press tick to end procedure. NOTE: Additional changes may be made to these steps in the WDS software. Look for updates to this MTO, and be sure to follow screen instructions.
  • Options
    "we want our pollen filters subsidized by the government as a health care item... "

But, you have to wait in line 6 months to get one. ;)
  • Options
    Why don't you buy up a few of the pollen filters and put them on ebay!
  • Options
    How about open a Mazda3 supershop that cooperates w/ the factory w/o voiding the warranty & does retrofits of factory parts like hydraulic steering, DSC, diesel model's wide-ratio 5-sp, & even the charcoal filter from Volvo. Not to mention the "Sportiff" full-glossy black panels including the center stack.

barry42 Feb 1, 2004 10:58am
    "Your #6076 My Mazda3 HB has a pollen filter !!"

If this filter is also called the "snow-flake filter", then N.A. should have it.
  • Options
    Your Mazda3 Hatch is not CA/USA spec it's EU spec.

fowler3
  • Options
    The Euro spec HVAC system should be the same design as the US/CA spec, except for the availability of (optional) automatic controls in Europe, so the pollen/snow filter should fit, right?
  • Options
    Barry43 is a good example of how people go to the opposit extreme when making a change, if they are unhappy with what they had.

If the climate is too cold they move to where it is too hot. If their house has few windows, they buy one with glass walls. Same thing with cars, if one is too small they trade for one that is too big. Too cushy soft, they get one that is too firm.

It takes time to find what is just right -- moderation -- works best.

fowler3
  • Options
    "The invincible TSX...not...
    Take a gander at some of the issues in their first build year. Most noticeably, annoying creaks and horrible gas mileage."

It's expected. A car heavier than the N.A. Accord w/ weak-low-end output will only cost gas $.

That's what's wrong w/ a 4-cyl smooth enough to encourage the driver rev all the time. The balance shafts that cost 6 hp is the culprit. These 2 shafts use energy, not just cancelling out the vertical vibration from the 4 cylinders, but also cancelling each other's lateral vibration, all at twice the spinning speed as the engine rpm.

That's why the vibration-free in-line 6 is so desirable, but too nose-heavy for a compact FWD. That's why it's desirable to get a compact RWD so the 6-cyl won't have to be placed far forward at the nose-heavy position.

Mazda 323 has been offering 1.8/2.0 V6 for many years, but such displacement is inefficient for this many cylinders.
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Someone may want to do a little research to see if the pollen filter that comes with the non-US cars can be installed in a US car without modifications. This was the case with the Focus ZX3 I used to own. The US car (of course) was missing this amenity, but the air intake plenum was unmodified and was the same as the plenum in the Euro Focus. You could order the filter from a foreign supplier and just drop it in. There were several of us who ordered all kinds of goodies for our ZX3s from the UK - over there, the cars were offered with an amazing range of options and amenities that never made it to the US.
  • Options
    The pollen filter requires power to run the electro-static ionizer.
  • Options
    waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    I mentioned to my wife that some on this board have been complaining about the heater/defrost being slow to operate. She drives our Audi A4 and Mazda3 interchangeably (out driving the Mazda now) and loves them both, but she said that the Audi unquestionably has the more effective and faster operating heat/defrost setting of the two (and it costs $10,000 more). I traded in a 15-year-old Taurus SHO for the Mazda3. Neither the A/C nor heater on the SHO worked much in recent years, so I am happy as a clam with the new car.

The temperature is supposed to be 5 F. (-15 C.) tonight here, but I am sure that is nothing compared to more northern climes. For really extreme weather, might not the Volvo or Saab be better equipped?
  • Options
    guskimguskim Member Posts: 112
    Wow,
    step away for a few days to have a baby, and you come back to see the board alive with some angry Canucks, all over the defrost & fogging.

Just for the record, let me say, I've only had 2 days where I had fog freeze on the inside of my Mazda3 windshield. Otherwise, it's been perfect.

However, perhaps there is a reason...when I picked up the car, the salesman absolutely told me "Do NOT use the circular air vents on the dash in winter. Keep them closed"

When I asked him why, he just gave me the line, "well you know, it's really just a summer thing for air conditioning. don't use it"

Now, I can smell deceit a trillion miles away, and knew that there must be some issue. But he wasn't coughing up, and since there were other vents on the dash for defrosting the side windows and front passengers, I decided it wasn't an issue worth arguing over.

What I finally noticed is that in extremely cold weather (-25C/-13F or below) , when I DO open the circular vents, the air pressure goes down, and it's harder to defog the side windows, or at least right away. Closing the circular vents helps alleviate it greatly on MOST days.

This won't work for everyone (esp. in Winnipeg where my in-laws tell me it's been -40C/F recently). But it just might help out.

BTW, everfeb, I feel for you. I lived in Winnipeg for a year, and that was one of the most painful winters I've ever endured. Great city, great people...but the warmth of the citizens is inversely proportional to that of their winters.
  • Options
    zc1zc1 Member Posts: 34
    Congratulations Guskim! First child? Loads of good times ahead for all of you.
  • Options
    nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    While I haven't had the fogging problem some here are experiencing, I will say that this Mazda is possibly the slowest heating car I've ever owned. Both of my other current cars, a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder w/V6 and a 1995 Olds Aurora w/V8 heat up much faster. The Mazda on the other hand, takes a good half hour of driving to start blowing HOT. The other day, my wife left it running for 10 minutes and when she got in the car, the needle was only barely above cold. I have found that leaving the fan off until the needle is at operating temperature (about halfway up the scale) does seem to make it heat faster, but I've never had to do this before with other cars.
    I hope Mazda addresses this problem -- here in New England it gets cold enough so that good heat is important.
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    "cabin air filters", it has no electrical connection, it's simply a small HEPA filter.

If, in fact, it is also a "ionizer" ---- then no one should want one, or it should be disconnected! Ionizers produce ozone, and the National Institute of Health specifically warns against such devices in no uncertain terms see : http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I just discovered that you can disconnect the middle rear seat belt and it rolls up and out of the way. Since I will most likely never use the middle rear seat - it is nice to be able to stow the belt.
  • Options
    Well, I bought that aluminum dash kit on ebay. I might not use all the pieces. Just hope it doesn't look totally fake (if so, I'll re-sell it instead of installing it).

*fingers crossed*

Jarrett
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Alternator has it right, at least as far as the Focus (and BMW) pollen filters are concerned - they are just conventional plastic frames with HEPA filtering material in them. My friend changes the filter in his 323i sedan several times a year thanks to the crummy air we have here, and it is a two minute job at most. The Focus was harder, but still not a big deal.
  • Options
    "pepad, its amazing you always bring up subjects that intrigue me!"

LOL - that's a funny one because that last one was a single comment about the narrow lid on the TSX and you expanded on that in grand style! It may be that I like to comment on design and style issues.... as I firmly believe most people want to drive a car they like to LOOK at... Of course, that never happens when I drive our disAstro...

The Mazda 3 is a real looker, little issues or not. The Mazda Millenia is also beautiful, almost as good-looking as the Vigor... ;-) The Mazda RX8 is amazing... And the 6... no question the 6 is the best-looking in its class... In fact, all current Mazdas are runway-killers...

Now the MPV may need to get a little bigger to compete with Sienna and Odyssey.

Anyone seen a 1972 Riviera lately? Now that's a big fish of a car design!

Pet
  • Options
    I was driving my little pretty Mazda 3, and as I passed an intersection I glanced over to my right.

*flash of cool lines, silver*

I immediately did a double-take - silver RX8. LOVE that RX8 and hope to get one someday. The RX8 driver was looking at my car too lol (probably not with envy so much as "hey, another Mazda" :D

Jarrett
  • Options
    barlobarlo Member Posts: 23
  • Options
    Yeah,

The baby was the main reason I got the hatch instead of the sedan. It's a lot more versatile for loading strollers, seats, etc.

Now, I have to run and change a diaper, but I want to start a discussion in between my periods of sleep deprivation...

For all the many satisfied Mazda 3 owners, what do you think is better Hatch or Sedan? I don't care if your new car better for looks, performance, cargo capacity, whatever. What do you like better?

In my opinion, the hatchback looks better and is more functional...especially since the Sport Graphics Package is included, at least in Canada. I'm not crazy yet about the traditional mesh on the base sedan...although with the sports grill, it does look good in gold...
  • Options
    ... I prefer the sedan by a nautical mile... I find it is a more classy, racier and sophisticated look. I dont really like the hood on the hatch "à la PT Cruiser" (bloated) and the utilitarian look. That's just moi though... The 3 sedan looks a lot more like a BMW than the hatch does...

Pet
  • Options
    steveflstevefl Member Posts: 62
    ..you did your work properly. B or G?

As far as hatch vs. sedan, I think the sedan is the hands-down winner in appearance,but there is no question the sedan is far more utilitarian. And you get the sports package thrown in, which helps a lot. No matter... when there are problems, everyone is affected (some more than others, as howho explained).
  • Options
    as Petpad. I envy the cargo room of the hatch, but loooove the look of the sedan.
  • Options
    Stevefl,

A baby girl it is! And quite beautiful (but isn't that what all fathers think?)

Speaking of beautiful, I agree the sedan has a definite grace about it. In fact, I think it's better looking than the Mazda6. I do prefer the "edgier" front hood of the hatch though, and think the back is fantastic. I can't wait until spring arrives so I can wax her up (the car, not the child)..
  • Options
    mazda3hatchmazda3hatch Member Posts: 13
    For utility, the Hatch is the undisputed winner. The sedan trunk is large, but the narrow opening really kills it. But I think the Hatch takes the cake in the asthetics dept too. It just looks more aggressive. Mazda has made no attempt to hide that they consider the Hatch to be the real star of the lineup either.