Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    is known for weak until 3000 rpm, not like Accord's or Camry's 2.4.
  • wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    "I drove the first time today without air, AC, or radio. I can't believe how subdued the engine is.
    It is very quiet"

Never said the road noise was from the engine, it appeared to be from the tires. but the point is if the noise is coming from the tires, some additional insulation is required. AFterall, for a 17,000 car I am not going to go buy 4 new quieter tires. I did find interesting the high and low frequency distinction. Not sure the cause or the remedy but the problem remains, the interior is simply not quiet and there seems like something can be done about it in the next model year
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    on Thursday. So thats one on Wednesday this week and one on Thurday. This car could be like the 99 Jetta and 02 Altima if this keep up which means you see them everywhere.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    my part of Atlanta. They just started selling them here. There must be a pent up demand.

The 3's I've seen have only been 4 doors though.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    There is no problem with engine noise. The wind noise is OK, too.
    I haven't seen any Scions except sitting on my local dealer lot in Central NJ.

4 of the 3's I saw were sedan's and 2 hatchbacks.

Wati a Minute! A Toyota product sitting on lots while a Mazda product is actually in demand? Is god present? I'm being sarcastic of course.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Toy-auto.

fowler3
    I'm waiting on the Tc.

It is wierd to see a Mazda product in demand. But I don't remember seeing $35 gift certificates in the mail to come drive Scions. And I've been a member of the Scion web site for over a year.

I've gotten over $150 from Mazda to drive thier cars.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    I have just taken my second test drive, WITHOUT the saleswoman, YEAAAAYYY!

Earlier this morning I went to my credit union, and got preapproved for a loan, and immediately after I drove over to the drive the Mazda3 again, and discuss Mid-late March availability of Sunlight Silver S sedans.

I decided to use the manumatic function for most of the drive, and it is downright fun! The shifts were crisp, and I didn't notice a delay at all.

There was one problem that I hope was specific to this car. When using the sportshift (but not in regular auto mode), as I was accelerating there was a horrible grating, rattling sound starting from the right side of the dash and spreading across the whole dash. Plus there was very noticeable wind noise coming from the bottom of the windshield only. It continued periodically when cruising, but went away as soon as I switched to auto mode at the next stop sign. I have no clue what it could be, and am not sure if the noise was interior related or engine related. Could it be the auto clutch that controls the manumatic function making noise? This didn't occur during my first test drive.

Otherwise, this car is sooo fun to drive on side roads, and even with the auto, this car is plenty quick. Tire noise was present (17") , but at a low level which was not bothersome. I love the steering feel, and body control on sharp turns.

The saleswoman said that one is coming in Mid-late March ( perfect timing for me ) I just have to call her in early March and put down a $100 refundable deposit to hold the car, and it will be mine.

I decided to go with the Sunlight Silver "S" sedan with 6CD/moonroof pkg, ABS/SAC/SAB pkg, sport package, and chose to splurge and get the Xenon/TPMS package. Hopefully $$ discussions will go smoothly, and I will be a Mazda3 owner by the end of March. :)

P.S. I also just sent in my certificate to get the $35 Sharper Image gift card :)
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    That's excellent news!!!

Bruno
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Thanks for the congrats, and for all the work you have done to inform people about the Mazda3. You definitely helped me decide this was the perfect car for me :)
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Not a real scientific test -

Anyone know the gearing with the automatic transmission? I always thought that 3rd gear was 1:1 and 4th was less than 1:1 (like .7:1 which is overdrive)

But it seems like in the Mazda 4th gear is 1:1

My RPM in 4th gear at 60 MPG is about 2,750.

If the rear end is a 4.11 (per Edmunds)
    And each time my tire turns I go 7.9 feet
    5,280 feet in a mile / 7.9 feet = 668.35 per mile

668.35 * 4.11 rear end = 2,747 RPM

Is my math right?
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    "It is wierd to see a Mazda product in demand. But I don't remember seeing $35 gift certificates in the mail to come drive Scions."

You're absolutely right, who in their right mind would buy a car that the manufacturer is having to PAY people to drive?

Anyway, it's good to see that you haven't lost your touch. ;)
  • gandrigogandrigo Member Posts: 87
    Thankfully i must be out of my mind, and couldn't be happier with my 3.
    A toyota by any name is still bland.
    I'll be there when they release when the next generation 6 thats for sure. They don't have to pay me for that.

Manufacturer's haven't paid people to drive their cars but GM and Chrysler have offered free test drives of their cars the last few years. Those test drives were to get non GM and Chrysler owners to switch over from different brands.

Mazda nothing never sends me nothing anymore. I'm surprised Gee's still getting things in the mail since he is a Honda and Lexus man now.

Its is weird though to see a Mazda car in demand. All through the 90's their cars were discount city primilary in the mid to late 90's period. When I was in High School people never talked about Mazda. We always used to talk about Honda's and Nissan's. Other people were into the Chevy' and Ford's. Some others were into Vw's. I remember in 1995 when the 1993 626 was a few years old there were like alot of them on the road. I thought at the time it was a sweet design. Still think its pleasent looking.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    I don't know if your math is right, but you definitively start with a wrong spec. gear and computed rpm are here:

http://groups.msn.com/BrunoLuong/transmissionspec.msnw
  • weaponousweaponous Member Posts: 38
    OK, between Guelph/Hamilton/Burlington/Oakville (all west of Greater Toronto area for you Americans) which is my commute and client zone, I'm seeing the 3 EVERYWHERE NOW!! Sedan that is, only one hatch but the design almost blew me away.

I figure I've been averaging 2-3 sightings per day.
    Thanks - good information

I got the gear ratio from Kelly Blue Book web site (not Edmunds) - it claims the Mazda3 has a 4.11 rear end. This can't be right - Using your information I am coming up with a 3.2 rear end (4.417*.725).

I also used the tire size spec from my Tahoe - A Mazda3 with 275 70 16 tires!

Thanks again -
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "it claims the Mazda3 has a 4.11 rear end"

FWD cars don't have "rear ends". It's a transaxle or differential.
    Good point about front wheel drive cars not having a rear differential. You must be a mechanic!

This is my first front wheel drive car - old habits die hard.
    "You're absolutely right, who in their right mind would buy a car that the manufacturer is having to PAY people to drive?"

That's not what I meant. You'd think Mazda would see that's not working by now. They paid me $70 to drive the 6. I'm sure there were many others. But it didn't seem to matter when it was introduced. If it's a product people actually want, it will sell itself. Like the Corolla, G35 coupe, Xb, and other cars that had waiting lists when they were introduced.
  • petpadpetpad Member Posts: 153
    ... yup, I'm seeing more and more too now, even got side-by-side an identical GFX Sunset orange sedan this morning, which was pulling out of Cosco in the East end... couldn't really tell if it was you stokkes as the car took the Queensway on-ramp as I passed beside.

Last night went to visit a frind in Orleans, his next door neighbour had a sedan GS in silver colour parked right there... and yesterday morning I went back to the rinse'n pic car wash and while I was washing mine, a Titanium Hatch pulled right in the stall next to me!... So yes... We will have TONS of Mazda 3's very soon...

Pet
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    on ESPN2 last night, it was a repeat airing. Good segment showing Mazda3 with video clips of the MZ3 on the road. I taped the International Automobile Show, which followed. The latter had a good segment showing the Mazda MX 5-door coming soon.

ESPN2 will air the NY Car Show again on February 23 at 8:00PM, check your listings.

fowler3
    You couldn't pay me to drive one of them. Thats like the hummer: to me its just looks like a big box. I take each car at face value buy not doing the best I can to not acknowledge the emblem on the car.
    Exactly, the Element is a cut-price & smoother-looking hummer in a more attractive size. The xB is even more, although no "smoother".

Kids love to have the freedom to play in an old frige.

What's next, broken glass? "Does anyone want to play broken glass?" You'll get some for free every time you're having fun rolling over your SUV when I'm having fun racing w/ you on curvy roads in my modest-looking Mazda sedan. Believe me, once a V6 Odyssey tried to race w/ my 4-cyl Protege -- a lot of nerve! He had to give up on the S-curve. Ha Ha!
  • cogs25cogs25 Member Posts: 39
    'What's next, broken glass? "Does anyone want to play broken glass?" '

You are being satirical, just like the ad that ran during the Super Bowl involving selling broken glass. You can't be more ridiculous than Madison Avenue.

Anyway, the M3 must be selling much better elsewhere than where I am in the Midwest, as I've only seen them at the dealer. Kind of odd considering they have been out for months. On the other hand I saw a Malibu Maxx this week, and it's only been available in 2004.
    I have seen about like 2 Malibu's. Is there alot of Mazda dealers in the midwest? The 3 has been out for 3 months. The last post make it sound as if its been out for 6 months.
    Just got back from the auto show in T.O.

What blew me away was the Mazda exhibit which took up the middle of the Skydome, and had not one Mazda3 on display, but about 20!!! They had all the colours, both sedan and hatch and the exhibit was SWAMPED. The only other match was Nissan which continues to garner lots of excitement. I think Mazda was the only one that had more than 2 vehicle makes on the floor. The 6 was pretty much non existent.

My conclusion upon a long evaluation of the 3 is that, without the body kit, it will look just like every other 3 out there (the 3 will likely take over southern ontario after the showing at this auto show!!!), so the kit is somewhat a must. The rearview mirror is small but easily solved with aftermarket.

PS. Volvo S40 on display, small but necessary criticisms, although told it was a prototype. Gaps between hood and body are too wide, gap between side panel and front facia/panel is somewhat misaligned, otherwise sweet car. However not a value match against the 3.
    Weak heater, no charcoal for the interior filter, short-thigh front-seat cushion, insufficient road-noise insulation...lack of available equipments for N.A. such as DSC, pollen filter...although the Bose might be available next year to solve the stereo-sound-quality problem. The technology is there.

The made-in-Belgium Volvo can't sell if the reliable made-in-Japan Mazda excels.
  • steveflstevefl Member Posts: 62
    It is ridiculous to believe Mazda must deliberately produce a flawed or inferior car just to give Volvo a chance. The Mazda3 must hold down the price to compete with other NA compacts. Mazda3 has found its marketing niche. Now Volvo must find its own.
    That's why the Focus II is cancelled.

& the other Focus II -- the Mazda3 -- can barely breath. I only saw a few around here in L.A., unlike Canada.
    and the dragon is the civic and the corolla. I'm indifferent to the 3 because I do not own one yet although it is on the list, but I already see signs in Canada of a good old fashioned sales beating of the #1 and #2 popular compact cars. Last months numbers were impressive, this months, likely better.

Creakid, I give you 6 stars out of 5 for whipping up conspiracy theories surrounding this Ford/Mazda/Volvo triumvrante. When you see Mazda selling Volvo's with a Ford extended warranty, then I'll switch to your bandwagon. I agree there is some sharing, for example the Volvo C70 (I think) convertible at the show had a really cheap looking Ford Taurus console which was obvious and I ripped into the lady there on all our behalfs. But from an outside appearance perspective, the Mz3 and Volvo share NOTHING. One's built in Japan, one's built in Sweden, it must be fun sharing parts via the Siberian fur trade!!

The S40 and Mz3 are mutually exclusive vehicles and will sell to their individual markets based on price point. The S40 is aimed trying to steal market share from:

Passat/Camry/TSX/Accord etc.

And there is decent legroom in the back from what I could see at the auto show to fight the battle unlike the S60.
  • combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    Not sure about the whole region, but in the greater Chicago area, say within a 50 mile radius, there are about 15 Mazda dealers. Plentiful, I'd say. I would agree with cogs25 statement about not seeing the 3 on the road. I have yet to see one.. wait.. I think I've seen one hatchback, but that's been it!

Though, I agree with you that cogs25 statement about being out "months" does imply like 6-8 months or something! They only started trickling in during November, so I'd say there's been decent inventory for only about two full months now, if that.
  • everfebeverfeb Member Posts: 115
    My Mazda dealer in Winnipeg quoted me $120 Cndn. each for 16x6 steel Mazda rims for my 3. That's just rims...no tires or covers. This is kind of expensive isn't it? Can any Canadians who got steel rims for winter give me an idea what you paid and where you were able to find ones that fit? Thanks
    everfeb
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    You could try either Canadian Tire or Walmart, I believe they will have them for your 3. Approx 45-55/rim. I also noticed in the Walmart ad that they have Dunlop snow tires for 30 or 40% off (can't remember how much) in case you need them also.
  • doying5doying5 Member Posts: 83
    Anyone have any pics of the front lip spoiler on the 5 door and the rear aero flares?
    everfeb, I am in Ottawa and paid 244.75 for each set of tire and rim,as part of a package, total of 979 + tax= 1125.85 total. The bill did not breakdown the rim and tire. However the tires run in the 180 range (Hakka's 1, 205-55/16), so the rims were cheaper than what you were quoted. Because Edmunds wont let me post a phone number, you'll have to find it yourself, but look-up Performance Mazda in Ottawa, call and ask for Dave at the parts counter and ask him about what they recommend, then take that to your dealer.
  • everfebeverfeb Member Posts: 115
    Thanks petpad...I will contact Performance. Your rims were 46% less than I was quoted. That's substantial. Was installation, balancing, any of that included in the price of $979.?? Was it you who got Mazda covers for $20 each?
    Do you have specs for your rims...size, offset, bolt pattern etc. I am trying to track down the RIGHT rims for my 3 so I can get them and tires put on here instead of going 3 1/2 hours one way to nearest Mazda dealer.

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.
    everfeb
  • howhohowho Member Posts: 77
    if you search this thread a while back, you will see me going through the same process of trying to find winter rims and tires for the car.

my conclusion was that, since nobody could reasonably get me a steel rim that had the correct offset except for original Mazda rims ($120), plus a Mazda hubcap ($35), and plus the fact that in edmonton winter lasts about 7 to 8 months and i had to look at the winter rims / tires for much longer than the stock alloys, i just bought a set of 16" alloys and some dunlop wintersport m3 (no relation to the car) from Tiretrends out of vancouver. i paid $167 plus shipping of $8.50 each for the rims.

the purchase itself was very painless, but you do have to watch the offset on the alloys as well. i am running 48mm offset on a 16x7" rim, and do not seem to have a problem. i notice that Tirerack in the US seems to have alloys that show a 53mm offset (the stock offset is, i believe, 52.5mm on a 16 x 6.5" rim)

hope this helps.
    Everfeb, the only thing I have for the rims is the size.... 16"... sorry! Unfortunately I am not into such minutia ( such as offset and bolt patterns...) and I simply took the package they said fit, and they recommended. Mine is a GT sedan + GFX, and it was their first 3 at the dealer so they had to think about it for a couple days to ensure the rim would fit over the larger brakes. Yes I got the Mazda wheel covers for $15 a piece.
    I have like 5 Mazda dealers like a combined 5-30 minutes away from me. Where I live in Central Jersey unike other area's in the US there are lot of Mazda dealers by me. Its seems like Mazda doesn't have alot of dealers in the Midwest. I think Mazda depends alot on the Norheast half of the Us for most of its business in the US.
    i agree with petpad: why bother with the details when your dealer is supposed to take care of them.

unfortunately, my dealer and mazda canada were no help. plus, when you buy mail order, you have to give them this stuff (except for tirerack who seem to be on top of it all really quickly):

16x6.5" rim
    52.5mm offset
    5 x 114.3 hole pattern
    205 x 55 x r16

good luck finding winter tires at this time of year (yup, we still need them, but everyone stops carrying inventory by the first week or two in january).
    by the way, i have now joined "shroud" in the cracked windshield club.

NOT a fault with the car, just part of living in a very cold climate where small rocks are laid down to provide traction.

my crack is now one a half feet and spreading...

oh well, i had the car 6 weeks with a perfect windshield.
  • odysseus3odysseus3 Member Posts: 19
    Saturday was a fantastic day for me, and a horrible day for my new Mazda3 Sport GT. At about noon the odometer clicked over 1000kms, which means the gloves are now off. For the past 3 weeks I have lulled my car into a false sense of security. It likely thought its existence would be filled with peaceful drives and 3500 rpm upshifts. Unfortunately, I was forced to shatter that illusion rather severely this weekend. I must say, that the 3 is a little rocket ship! I know it isn't the fastest car out there by any stretch. However, it feels fast and is eminently huckable. The roads have dried out a bit lately, so I was able to really put the 3 through its paces. I am very impressed. The car handles beautifully; turn in is excellent and body roll/understeer are minimal. It’s also very settled over mid-corner bumps and uneven pavement. As an added bonus, the normally absent exhaust note is actually pretty decent at higher revs. There is definitely a bit of an acceleration “dead spot” at lower revs, but once you hit about 2500-3000 rpms, it starts to pull and doesn’t stop until 7000ish. The motor feels smooth throughout the rev range, with none of the trashiness of my Sentra. Overall, I am very happy. I think the only complaint about the car that I agree with relates to the tires. They are indeed the worst "all season" tires ever crafted by the hand of man. They seem to be pretty decent on quasi-dry roads, but they better seriously deliver in the summer, or I will be a little disappointed in Mazda’s choice.
  • oldmonkoldmonk Member Posts: 38
    How many miles are you able to go on a full tank of gas (auto transmission)? The specs say 348/420 for city/highway. But I seem to be getting less than that. At about 280 miles in the city (or 320 on the highway), the low gas warning light starts showing up. Does someone know how many gallons of gas will be left when the warning begins? Btw, mine is the hatchback model.
  • xeiderxeider Member Posts: 46
    Any idea if the new diesel engine that will be available in the UK market come March will be available in the North America market?

109ps (107bhp) at 4,000rpm
    240Nm (177lb ft) of torque at 1,750rpm
    0 to 62mph in 11.5 seconds (hatchback) and 11.3 seconds (saloon)
    Top speed is 113mph (hatchback) and 115mph (saloon).
    fuel consumption of 56.5mpg
    Initially launched as a Euro III engine the range will see a Euro IV engine introduced late in 2004.

I am assuming that it probably is not tuned to handle our dirty diesel, but it would be nice to see on this side of the pond when low sulfur diesel goes into effect.

Xeider
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "I have like 5 Mazda dealers like a combined 5-30 minutes away from me. Where I live in Central Jersey unike other area's in the US there are lot of Mazda dealers by me."

It all depends on the what city you're talking about, not the region. Here in Minneapolis, we have 4 or 5 Mazda dealers. I'll bet Chicago has more Mazda dealers than the whole state of New Jersey, but at the same time, you're not likely to find any Mazda dealers in Pig's Butt, Iowa.
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Hi Oldmonk, I have a 3s sedan with auto and I have only been getting about 280 miles to a tank, too. The dealer says it's a combination of the colder than normal weather we've had here in the Northeast and the fact that most cars don't start getting their optimum gas mileage until 7-10,000 miles. (your profile says California, but not what part, are you dealing with cold weather?)
    I've crested 1300 miles now and my last tank actually gave me approx 26mpg, so maybe it's getting better. (The first several tanks were 22-23mpg)
  • oldmonkoldmonk Member Posts: 38
    I live in Santa Clara, CA. It is not cold weather here. I have slightly above 2000 miles on the car now. I hope to drive 300+ miles in the city and 350+ miles highway before I refill gas. Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a bigger gas tank...?