Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    "I was concerned the car we wanted - black car with black interior - would have a good enough AC - so during the test drives we paid special attention to it - and I still got burned. It was around 80 degrees - AC worked fine - little did I know that the AC (in my car anyway) will just barely keep up on an 85 degree day - throw in some bright sun and some stop and go traffic and the AC is just not strong enough to cool the car."

Sounds like a reasonable test to me, Bill, especially if you live in a southern state. But 80 degrees in Texas, wouldn't that rate as a warm day and only if you hit 90 would you call it hot?

You say "black interior", is that black leather?

p.s. Up here in Ottawa (Canada) it's humidity that's the killer; my P5's AC has so far handled it well.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Planned on getting the leather - but once we saw it - and the cloth - side by side we changed our minds and went with the cloth. Very glad we did not considering how hot the car would be with leather seats.

80 degrees in Houston is not considered a hot day - but the AC seemed to do a pretty good job of cooling the car during our test drives - after one test drive we even sat in the car for 15 minutes or so at idle just to see if the AC would keep the car cool in this situation. It did - so we didn't give it a second thought - just expecting the AC to be strong enough to do its job.
    Planned on getting the leather - but once we saw it - and the cloth - side by side we changed our minds and went with the cloth. Very glad we did not considering how hot the car would be with leather seats.

Agreed!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893
    Stop in and meet and greet some of your fellow Mazda enthusiasts at our weekly chat session. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET
    PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• barry42barry42 Posts: 64
    I have been invited by my friendly dealer to come down and place my order for a 2006 sedan for my wife -- I already have my 2005 HB !!
    He can't tell me what changes there will be to the car but, the price will go up $200 !!
    I hope it has the 5 speed auto that you mentioned these poor little 1.6L motors we get needs all the help it can get !!

Thanks for the rumor !! Barry.
  • beta23beta23 Posts: 15
    mazda 3 sedan w/ or without spoiler?? wats hotter
  • eklektikeklektik Posts: 12
    when I first bought my silver sedan, it did't have a spoiler, I had wanted one, but the dealer couldn't locate a car with one. The car looked fine without the spoiler, so I bought the car. After two months, I changed my mind and added the wing spoiler. Eight months later I still believe the car looks better with it.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    But it's good to see that someone still believes in the 3 after the side-impact issue.

http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/safety/release_content.asp?id=2009

Meade
  • For me, the lip spoiler looks classier and the wing is sportier. Depends on what look you're going for. I prefer the lip, as it also extends the back edge of the trunk out just a little bit, which helps minimize the rear bumper that sticks out halfway to Cleveland.
  • nicolanicola Posts: 2
    i am looking for a 2004 mazda3i and live in utah. we get a fair amount of snow here, and i am just now hearing that snow handling isn't great on this car. is it something that should deter me from buying it?
  • Well, I have a 3s hatch, and the snow handling started off pretty rotten. But it's mostly due to the OEM tires, which are FAR less than ideal for snow. They call them "all season" but what they REALLy mean is "all seasons that don't have anything to do with snow" heh. :)

Anyway, a set of snow tires really did wonders. it'll never be as good in snow as my old V6 Chevy but that had a heavy iron-block V6 holding the drive-wheels down, where as the Mazda's got a tiny aluminum 4. But once the OEM tires were replaced, snow traction was certainly servicable, even if it's not as good an an AWD/4WD vehicle.
  • nicolanicola Posts: 2
    thanks for the quick response--

excuse my ignorance, but what kind of prices are we talking with snow tires? i am just graduating from college and am on a fairly tight budget and want to make sure i'm not walking into a lot of additional money...

thanks again.
  • You'll have an easier time than I did...the i model uses smaller 15 inch wheels, and snow tires are common in that size. You should be able to get a set for under $400. I had to pay $500 because snows aren't common in Mazda's 17 inch size. ;)
  • cticti Posts: 134
    Would it be possible to get a compatible 16 inch tire? Just buy one that isn't as low profile.

Might be cheaper/more readily available.

Jason
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    When the next snow season looms, call TireRack and ask them to put together a tire/wheel package for your car, with steel wheels, snow tires, and wheel covers. They should have complete packages for the 3i that won't exceed $500, and you avoid the expense of mounting and dismounting the tires from your OEM wheels. They might even have a cheap alloy design that can be used with the snows, but those tend to get closer to $600 for a set of four.

Doesn't matter whether your OEM tire was 15" or 16" or 17" - they will have a combination that can work.
    ive been reading about the lack of traction in the snow with the stock tires on alot of sites as well. Im assuming that I would definitely need to buy snow tires for the mazda 3

But the question is, with the snow tires, is the car safe enough in the snow, how good is it with these snow tires?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    The car will be fine with snows - probably better than any other fwd without snows, and better than many awds for that matter. Remember that awd does not help you stop and snow tires will. If you can't go you are stuck and that may be inconvenient, but if you can't stop you hit something and that is much worse.
    I am going to college in a year up north somewhere (so snow is a factor) and I have 2 choices for a car. I already asked this in the BMW forums but i want to see what you mazda people think. I can either take my dads 2002 BMW 325 xi or buy a new 2005 mazda 3 sp23. The BMW has 45000 miles on it with no major problems and my dad is a conservative driver.

Which car do you think i should get (cost is about the same for me) taking into consideration: reliability, performance, safety, utility and value in 5 years from now.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,733
    Let me get this straight... you are undecided whether to take your dad's 3-year-old AWD BMW, the Ultimate Driving Machine, a near-luxury compact that has no major problems and a known (good) history, or a FWD car that is a gussied-up version of a car designed to sell for as little as $14,000? This is a HARD decision for you?

Take the Bimmer and run!
    hahaha.... yea great point
  • sschaffersschaffer Posts: 80
    Are you going to be paying for maintenance and repairs or is dad gonna pick up the bills?

BMW may be the ultimate driving machine but maintenance and repair costs are stratospheric compared to more humble stuff like the Mazda 3, and starting at 45k miles with no warranty vs 0 miles with 5 year 48k mile warranty makes a big difference.

The service mgr at the Toyota dealership where I work has an out-of-warranty 3 series BMW that she'd dearly love to get rid of due to outrageous upkeep costs.,
  • jonnyjonny Posts: 4
    Recently got quoted the following, (Canadian Prices)

Mazda 3 GT Sedan (automatic)
    6500 down
    Financing over 5 yrs 3.9%

Monthly: 370.71
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,733
    The 3's warranty is four years, not five. If you need a long warranty, there are better options than the 3.

If dad is nice enough to give you a BMW, he's certainly going to help with repairs should they be neeed, right? :)
    HI Jonny, It would be much easier to respond if you gave a few more numbers, like selling price, discount and out the door price. The monthly financing amount can be very deceiving. Besides automatic are there any other options?

Mazda 3 GT Sedan (automatic)
    C$6500 down
    C$370.71 x 60 (5 yrs @ 3.9%)
    yea im pretty sure he'll help me out with the maintenance
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Posts: 211
    The May C & D has an article on the new VW Jetta. As a part of the article they include graphs comparing the Jetta, Cobalt LS, Impreza 2.5RS, and Mazda3. Interestingly, the Mazda3 has the best fuel economy, best roadholding, best braking, best acceleration, and is the second least expensive. Looks like the Mazda3 wins this one.
  • ikeedumikeedum Posts: 10
    ...when you start the Mazda3? Just curious, but has anyone done this or know if it is possible? It would be cool to personalize it. .
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893
    Almost chat time again! Find a friend to bring along tonight! See you shortly!!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    No luck with a response a week ago, so here goes ...

In the manual it states that "some models" have a low washer-fluid light and a cabin air filter. Do any of you long-time 3 owners know if this is standard equipment on a Mazda3S?

Meade