Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3

Comments

• z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    You would be much better off with a 2005 model - some of the 2004 cars have major problems that Mazda will not fix - I think that most of the defects have been fixed on the 2005 cars - but not sure if anyone has really tested the AC system on the 2005 yet - 95 degree day with high humidity in heavy stop & go traffic.

Since Honda is coming out with a completely new 2006 Civic in the fall (I think) - You could wait a few months and get a really great deal on a leftover 2005 - or be the first to have the 2006.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I agree with your posts, and I have never thought of the safety devices as iron-clad assurance that I am safe at any speed and in any situation. On the contrary, air bags are just another device waiting to hit me in the face. I'm serious!

Your description of an inattentive driver is very close to reality: the other day a girl was behind me in a mini-van talking on her cell phone and brushing her hair with the other hand. Totally oblivious to traffic around her as she tailgated my car. I braked lightly to flash my taillamps and she still didn't react. Speeding up, I gave a right turn signal and pulled off the road to let the idiot go by. She ran a red light just ahead.

Barson: All are good cars, what is best for your needs and what you like to drive is up to you. I would look at the 2005 Mazda3 now, not the first year models. Mazda knows about the A/C problems, they may have fixed them, but as Mazda said in another publication, "We did not give regional considerations to the MZ3 it was designed as a World Car." But they will give regional requirements more attention in the re-design of the Mazda3. In other words, the current car was designed mainly for Europe, Japan, and South East Asia. And get the Power Option, which is now $1400, you will wish you had in the long run. Also the ABS with sab/swc. The options for the "i" bring it close to the 3s model. When crank window handles were metal they were good, now that they are plastic I would go for power versions which are a safety feature and add a lot to resale value.

It's a pitty they didn't use the A/C unit supplier for the Protegé, which is excellent. I still think it is an assembly problem since some work and others do not.

fowler3
  • I have heard some tid-bits about changes coming to the 2006 Mazda3.

Looks like the car wil be receiving a 5-speed automatic. Not sure if that will be for both the 2.0 and the 2.3. I suspect it will only be for the 2.3L
  • Aww, I'd love to have a 5 speed...too bad there's no way I could have waited.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    I agree that would be great news, Jamie. Was the source a Mazda rep?
  • barsonbarson Posts: 34
    Does anyone know if the air conditioning problems reported in the 04 have been fixed for the 05? It gets hot here in the summer . . .

When I was on the Mazda lot, I noticed that the 3 that I was about to test drive had what looked like a continuous coat of rust on the brake disks. I looked at other 3s nearby, same thing. On the test drive there was a grinding sound when I applied the brakes; the salesman said that the sound was caused by rust and that the rust would wear off as the brakes were used. I've never seen/driven a new vehicle with rusty brakes before. Is this common? I would think it would shorten the life of the brake pads.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    The rust on the brake rotors is common. I get it on both my Accords and see it our sales reps cars who travel and leave their cars in the lot for days at a time.

When you step on the brakes the first time, the friction from the pads removes the rust. It shouldn't shorten the life of the pads. It typically forms in high humidity or when you don't drive the vehicle for a few days.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Yep. Every new car lot I've been around, and I've walked hundreds, has row upon row of cars with rusty rotors. This is what happens naturally in any situation where there is any amount of moisture around, and the cars aren't driven for a few days. As noted, as soon as the brakes are used the first time, at the expense of a bit of grinding feel through the pedal, the rust is scraped off. Nothing to be concerned about.
  • Sometimes it happens the morning after the carwash too, just to warn you ;)
    No matter how many people say that the AC in their Mazda3 works great I would not buy one until I could take a test drive in stop and go traffic - in the car I was going to buy - on a very hot & SUNNY day. I would make sure the car had been sitting in the sun for an hour or so before the test drive - then you can see how long it takes for the car to cool down. If it cools off to your satisfaction then buy it - if the AC seems weak and will not cool the car then RUN while you can.

I was concerned the car we wanted - black car with black interior - would have a good enough AC - so during the test drives we paid special attention to it - and I still got burned. It was around 80 degrees - AC worked fine - little did I know that the AC (in my car anyway) will just barely keep up on an 85 degree day - throw in some bright sun and some stop and go traffic and the AC is just not strong enough to cool the car.

If you do buy a car with a weak AC Mazda will not fix the problem. They treat it just like all the other problems - they claim it is operating as designed and within specification.

After your test drive the rust should have been gone from the rotors. The grinding noise is normal on the first few stops with rust on the rotors - but after a few stops if the brakes still make a grinding noise then IMO that is not normal.

I can speak from experience since I have both the defective AC and grinding (rear) brakes -

Good luck.
    "I was concerned the car we wanted - black car with black interior - would have a good enough AC - so during the test drives we paid special attention to it - and I still got burned. It was around 80 degrees - AC worked fine - little did I know that the AC (in my car anyway) will just barely keep up on an 85 degree day - throw in some bright sun and some stop and go traffic and the AC is just not strong enough to cool the car."

Sounds like a reasonable test to me, Bill, especially if you live in a southern state. But 80 degrees in Texas, wouldn't that rate as a warm day and only if you hit 90 would you call it hot?

You say "black interior", is that black leather?

p.s. Up here in Ottawa (Canada) it's humidity that's the killer; my P5's AC has so far handled it well.
    Planned on getting the leather - but once we saw it - and the cloth - side by side we changed our minds and went with the cloth. Very glad we did not considering how hot the car would be with leather seats.

80 degrees in Houston is not considered a hot day - but the AC seemed to do a pretty good job of cooling the car during our test drives - after one test drive we even sat in the car for 15 minutes or so at idle just to see if the AC would keep the car cool in this situation. It did - so we didn't give it a second thought - just expecting the AC to be strong enough to do its job.
    Planned on getting the leather - but once we saw it - and the cloth - side by side we changed our minds and went with the cloth. Very glad we did not considering how hot the car would be with leather seats.

Agreed!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Stop in and meet and greet some of your fellow Mazda enthusiasts at our weekly chat session. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET
    PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• barry42barry42 Posts: 64
    I have been invited by my friendly dealer to come down and place my order for a 2006 sedan for my wife -- I already have my 2005 HB !!
    He can't tell me what changes there will be to the car but, the price will go up $200 !!
    I hope it has the 5 speed auto that you mentioned these poor little 1.6L motors we get needs all the help it can get !!

Thanks for the rumor !! Barry.
  • beta23beta23 Posts: 15
    mazda 3 sedan w/ or without spoiler?? wats hotter
  • eklektikeklektik Posts: 12
    when I first bought my silver sedan, it did't have a spoiler, I had wanted one, but the dealer couldn't locate a car with one. The car looked fine without the spoiler, so I bought the car. After two months, I changed my mind and added the wing spoiler. Eight months later I still believe the car looks better with it.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    But it's good to see that someone still believes in the 3 after the side-impact issue.

http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/safety/release_content.asp?id=2009

Meade
  • For me, the lip spoiler looks classier and the wing is sportier. Depends on what look you're going for. I prefer the lip, as it also extends the back edge of the trunk out just a little bit, which helps minimize the rear bumper that sticks out halfway to Cleveland.
  • nicolanicola Posts: 2
    i am looking for a 2004 mazda3i and live in utah. we get a fair amount of snow here, and i am just now hearing that snow handling isn't great on this car. is it something that should deter me from buying it?