Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/images/gallery/wall1_1024x768.jpg

http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/images/gallery/wall2_1024x768.jpg

http://www.detnews.com/pix/2003/12/28/asec/A028-cobalt1-1203n-2.j- pg

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0312/28/a01-20140.htm

I don't like GM very much but this seems to be a decent effort on their part. From the small interior picture I still like the Mazda3 interior better and the Mazda3 probably is higher quality but the Cobalt doesn't look too bad for the most part. If the price is reasonable and they offer big rebates then this will definetly hurt the Mazda3.

Engines will be 2.2 140hp/150lb-ft, 2.4 VVT 170hp/170lb-ft, 2.0 supercharged with estimated 200hp.

Available 15, 16, 17, and 18-inch wheels, ABS standard on all trims except base model, traction control available, heated leather seats, XM satellite radio, MP3 playback and Onstar. Also side curtain airbags are available.

The one bad thing is 4-wheel disc brakes aren't available except on the SS trim and above, which I think is the 170hp version.
  • Options
    mazdaortoyotamazdaortoyota Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for your comments guys. Yet, I am still undecided lol

What do you think about Acura RSX? It's my next choice (other than Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic Coupe). I think it has the sexiest look among the four! I guess I'd turn more heads with that one (ha!), and the premium trim is only 3000 CAD more.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi mazdaortoyota -- it would be better if you asked about these other vehicles in their respective discussions and looked to the good people here for their opinions on the 3 alone. It's not very likely you will find someone here telling you that any vehicle BUT the 3 would be a better choice. ;-)

You might want to set up a specific comparo amongst your short list. We have a Comparisons board where a discussion of that nature would be a welcome addition. We don't want this discussion to turn into a comparo since the subject is a single vehicle.

And of course the search features on the left side of the page are a great way to find other discussions that would be helpful to you.

Good luck - feel free to drop me an email if I can help you find anything in the Town Hall.

:-)
  • Options
    axelakunaxelakun Member Posts: 1
    I live in Japan and am thinking about buying a Mazda3
    ("Axela" over here). I'm wondering about the ease/pain
    of bringing this model back to the US with me in a
    few years. My research so far suggests that this is
    in fact a rather painful&expensive experience -- 2 weeks
    of emission+??? testing, at a cost of more than $6500,
    plus $1500 to petition to add the model to a list
    of "approved cars". The shipping costs are apparently
    the least of worries. Naturally, if this is picture is
    accurate, it's barely worth one's while to ship rather
    than buy new in the US. I was wondering if anyone
    has insight into this process. Though I've seen these
    figures quoted in several web sites, I find them a bit
    hard to believe. Can anyone confirm or refute
    these findings? What is it like bringing a car from
    the US to Canada? I suppose a question is, how
    different is the Mazda3 sold in the US from an
    Axela sold in Japan? If I could show that the cars
    were identical in every respect, perhaps that
    would obviate the necessity for such thorough
    testing... Any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    mondo540mondo540 Member Posts: 5
    Guskim...thanks for the info...it crossed my mind that it might be the brakes seating but I thought it would be done by now...maybe I'll wait another few hundred miles and see what happens.

Couple other impressions I thought of since I wrote my initial impressions.

Handling: Pretty awesome for what this car is. It plants well and stays on line...I haven't had the chance to really take it thru a lot of curves, etc. but initial impressions are very good. This car can take the off-ramps and roads near where I live and drive everyday arguably as well as a BMW I owned for a few years.

Suspension: Firm but very reasonable and exactly what I like in a car. The car feels very sturdy...haven't driven a Protege but my guess is the 40% more stiffness in the frame is responsible here and well worth it to me. You feel the expansion joints and cracks in the freeway but the car takes them well with a solid and damped "thunk", not a whack that feels like it will loosen the fillings in your teeth.

Wind noise....a bit of this but then at 80 mph, I expect it...nothing objectionable.

Heater: does take a bit to warm up totally and then it is hot but not enough to really bother me.

Power windows. Fastest power windows I've ever had in a car, up or down...I barely touch the button and the window is 1/4 way down. Also, I always seem to hit the rear window buttons first...need to train my hand to feel around a bit...it always seems to land naturally on the rear window buttons.

Dash: I like it. People have said switchgear is cheap...I dunno, seems fine to me...all buttons and controls within easy reach, like the red backlighting, etc. Radio presets took me a sec to get used to...the top 3 you push on the top portion of the button, the bottom 3 you push on the bottm part of the button...pushing on the middle does nothing...the little Hello! message you get when you start the car is kinda funny but I guess the Japanese are being polite, ey?

Have had no rear seat passengers yet so can't comment on how tight or how comfortable it is back there...

Throw out the fact that you can get this car like I have it optioned in the mid $18K range and it feels to me like you are getting a lot for your money...

That's about it fellas...
  • Options
    steveflstevefl Member Posts: 62
    I have no experience in what you are trying to do, but my neighbor brought over a German-bought Mercedes when he recently retired from military service. He never mentioned any administrative problems.

My suggestion to you would be to immediately contact Mazda Consumer Affairs. I'm certain they have a staff member who specializes in this type of operation and who is familiar with the latest legalities, and possibly knows some key shortcuts. Maybe Mazda can even assist you with documentation. Good luck.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    :-)

There have been discussions on the Smart Shopper board about relocating vehicles into the US from Canada and from Europe. That's the best place I know of to get expert information on the subject in the Town Hall. It's worth a look.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Thats a little different from the Corolla, Civic, or 3. I think on long drives the RSX will hurt your back a little bit. The RSX has been pretty reliable though. Acura customer service should brove to be better than Honda, Toyota, or Mazda.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I would think there would be DoT issues with a Japanese model MZ3, such as the bumpers and other componants not meeting DoT/EPA requirements. Then there is the problem of everything on the car being labeled in Japanese; an issue when you take it in for service and warrenty work. Will American dealers honor the warrenty? Your main problem with buying in Japan is the righthand drive setup if you use it there and then ship it to the States.

Military people in Europe do not buy the European model Mercedes and BMWs, they buy the export models for the USA market, drive them while there and then ship them home. The government pays for shipping officers' cars, GIs pay their own shipping costs.

It's another matter when buying a German car here and taking delivery in Germany so one car tour Europe and then have it shipped home. That kind of arrangement is made through American dealers and their European manufacturers with few, if any, problems.

What it comes down to is which MZ3 model you buy, Japanese or American; who you buy it from, a dealer or direct from Mazda; and who handles the shipping, you or Mazda. BMW contracts with shippers to prep cars for export and to deliver them to the port.

fowler3
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Will American dealers honor the warranty?

I doubt it, my N/A P5 is out of warranty as soon as it leaves N/A shore.
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    You can't bring a Japanese-spec Axela to N. America because Axela's are right-hand drive.

I know someone who imported a right-hand drive Aston Martin from the UK to Canada, but it was for display purposes (and it was still tons of hassles).

PS. The Cobalt looks great - the concept pics I've seen looked great and I'm glad the production version has kept the great looks (unlike the production '05 Mustang).
  • Options
    everfebeverfeb Member Posts: 115
    Dec. 24 @ 900 km (540 mi.) Shoot...3 hours one way to nearest dealer-4 hours to my dealer. Gas cap was tight and weather was around 0-C (32F). This happened twice with my 3.2 TL before the CEL light coming on was corrected (nothing was ever wrong with the car-the light just came on). Hope Mazda gets it right the first time.
    Some impressions after 980 km (600 mi) on my Sport GT Auto/Air/Sunroof
    I don't hear the high pitched sound mentioned by others. Heater is excellent. Winning Blue colour doesn't get real dirty looking (had dealer install mudguards front and back) Don't like the automatic rain sensing wiper feature-it's a very unimportant gadget to me-I prefer to decide when I want wipers to come on and how frequently. In fact am going to contact Mazda Canada about how useless this feature is...get rid of it..and give us traction control in Canada. The wipers themselves however are excellent. All in all the M3 rides and handles great. Still no word on block heater. Any other Canadians get block heater with their Sport.
    Am a little upset with CEL light...it was one of my concerns before buying that I might have to drive 3-4 hours one way to get a warning light turned off-however..the car will be broken in for the trip home-and I'm kind of looking forward to driving a 100 mile stretch of hilly curvy bumpy highway at maximum speeds instead of as on my first trip when had to take it easy due to break in period.
    Happy New Year everyone.
    everfeb
  • Options
    Shutt, it seems happen more often than I wish. Everfeb, thanks for let us know. Did you ask your dealer what's the warning code?
  • Options
    Petpad, you did well with that amound w/out negotiating. My dealer is asking for 21345 MSRP + 1995 including GFX and leather + 1000 automatic + freight and taxes. I ain't buying it at this price.

I testdrove the 4 cars I mentioned, and in fact Mazda gave me the best feeling. I dunno much about cars but I know how I felt. I didn't even realize that the engine was running when I got into the car. And you could feel the power the car had when you drove. That's why I wanted to go with Mazda3 first. Other than that, I am not a fan of any car brand like you guys. I didn't even know what cars were out there until I wanted to get one. I just never looked at cars before no matter how nicethey looked, but I am checking out every single car that passes by me these days.
  • Options
    Haven't had a chance to talk to dealer yet. Will tomorrow. Regards,
    everfeb
  • Options
    gandrigogandrigo Member Posts: 87
    Hey all,
    Still waiting on my 3 GT, dealer says late January. For those unable to get the price down from MSRP, try cars4u.com. They are an online auto sales company listed on the TSX and provide quotes at +/- 600 under MSRP. I got roughly the same deal through an actual dealer and am a leery of internet sales, but maybe someone out there is a little more adventurous. apparently all you have to do is provide a deposit ($350) and they do the rest.
  • Options
    Hummer H2? LOL. What do u say that? It'd be good to run over those stupid drivers around town though..

Well, Mazda3 rides very nice but the looks of Honda Civic Coupe are better. I find myself more attached to Mazda3 after the ride though. I could go either way at this point though, so it all boils down to the dealer's acceptance of my offer.

If I end up buying Mazda3, should I buy both sets of tires (16" and 17") from the dealer or somewhere else? I heard that some people made mp3player part of the negoatiation, but I don't see any mp3 players as part of accessories. If the CD player would play mp3's burnt on a CD, that'd work just as fine.
  • Options
    weaponousweaponous Member Posts: 38
    If you wait a bit, the launch of the cobalt will likely force Mazda's hand to 0% financing, like the 2003 protege's.

The cobalt looks like a cavalier to me!!! How could they ever call this a new car!! In fact it looks like a neon slash cavalier, EVEN WORSE!!!

Pound for pound, the 3 is still the best value in its class, INTERIOR, POWER, HANDLING and definately not VANILLA.
  • Options
    you could save a couple of hundred bucks by buying your winter wheels else where.

Yes, the mp3 is an accessory, costs 565.25 CAD. It plays mp3 files stored burnt on a CD.

If the look is important for you, then you should be aware about the GFX package on the Mazda3 GT. This package changes drastically the look of the car. Which one looks better depends entirely your opinion. Also there are two types of spoiler available as accessories.
  • Options
    carbonkerscarbonkers Member Posts: 9
    Hello All,

I wanted to share my new purchase with you all. I too have bought a 5 Speed Silver Mazda3 GT Sport with Moonrooof. I will pickup the car tomorrow.

Hopefully there won't be any problems. But I am fully aware of the risks of buying a first year model. At least I have a winter car to use until the spring.

In a few days, I will report on the car.
  • Options
    mazda3indymazda3indy Member Posts: 13
    Regarding my CEL indicident (post#5068):

I called my salesman and he got my 3 into the service department immediately. They scanned the computer, discovered that the thermostat was stuck open, and replaced it. I found this odd because the temp gauge always rose fairly quickly to the hot-cold midpoint and stayed there.
  • Options
    xgbtxgbt Member Posts: 28
    I took a test drive of the GS (2.0) and then the GT (2.3), both automatic, last Saturday. One thing I noticed on the GT was that the car lean forward when I touched the brake on a slight downhill road. Feels like you depress the clutch all the way at the same time you hit the brake on a manual. It's just normal braking, not panic stop, and I was in D before braking and the indicator in the speedometer says it was in the 4th gear.

I can't remember if I felt the same on the GS.

Does anybody else have similar observation ? Or is it just a tuning problem on my test vehicle ?

Also I found the GT requiring greater action to get it going and I am wondering if it is because of the adaptive automatic and the previous drivers on the GT have heavier foot than those driving the GS ?

Anybody else noticed any difference in the driving dynamics between an automatic 2.0 and 2.3, other than better power when pressed hard ? I like the better gas mileage of the 2.0, and I find its power adequate for my use, but I like the fabric of the GT and the look of the GFX...
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    We have not seen any CEL issues with any of the MZ3's we have sold... Is this a canadian thing? Gas?
  • Options
    LOL... finally, someone who puts Celine Dion with Mad Cow! I'll pay you a beer for that.

Rich, I heard CEL reported from three Mazda3 owners, two from Canada, one from US.
  • Options
    As I posted earlier-my CEL is on. Spoke with my dealer's service supervisor in Winnipeg this A.M. and he said he didn't have a CD to reset the CEL and he didn't know anything about a CD coming. He did say to drive it for another 100-200 km (60-120 mi) and that the light might go out on it's own. If it doesn't...bring it in.
    I thought someone had posted a while back that the CD was available in Canada??? or was it available in the States?
    Anyway..called Mazda Canada and they said they are working on this CD but it wouldn't be available for a while. Meanwhile, Mazda head office said if the local Ford dealer has a WDS computer/machine they could check my engine with it and see what it says. Mazda said if CODE 128 is showing then there is nothing wrong. My nickel to get the engine scanned at the Ford dealer, Mazda won't pay them for this work.
      Sorry, I am not a technical guy at all...just put it in "D" and go. At this time the car still runs great, no strange sounds, temp. gauge is normal, wasn't a gas cap issue that I could tell. Anyone have any thoughts on my driving with the CEL on??? Regards
    everfeb
  • Options
    the P0128 code means the coolant thermostat report abnormally.

I heard a rumor that the Mazda3 CEL would come on when the ambient temperature is very cold and the car hasn't warm up yet. It seems to me Mazda needs to recalibrate the coolant thermostat.

There are few hundred codes for hundred reasons. Without the code we can't tell you what is going on. It's very easy to get your car scanned.
  • Options
    bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    The thermostat being stuck open is not that big of a deal. It might take the car a few minutes more to warm to operating temperature, but unless it is several degrees below freezing, you probably would not notice it on a small 4 cylinder.

Now, if the thermostat got stuck closed, then you might have a problem. Less of a problem in the winter time, but still a problem, especially with aluminum block engines. They don't take so kindly to overheating.
  • Options
    mazda3indy is all right since they did replace his thermostat.
  • Options
    How about a GFX pulling a mad cow with Celine on top of it? That would probably make the thermostat rise...do we need the CD now to diagnose?
  • Options
    barry42barry42 Member Posts: 64
    I certainly want to echo the comments by fowler 3.
    Let me tell you my experience !!
    I am a Canadian born --but, now a citizen of the Ol' USA [ for the last 44 years ].
    In 01 I bought a Toyota Yaris [ in Canada and the USA it is called an ECHO.
    I then made the decision to move back to the Ol' USA and checked with a local dealer in Florida, The Customs and DOT. All of them said don't try it unless you want to pay more then the original price of the car to change it to USA specs !!
    I think it is just best to wait 'till you get to NA. Good Luck .
  • Options
    mazda3indymazda3indy Member Posts: 13
    Here's my take on the Mazda3 sedan:

Model: Mazda3 S - Titanium Gray
    Options: Sport package, Automatic, ABS/SAB/EBD
    Paid: $17400 US

Power train: lacks low-end torque, but has lots of power in the mid range. The automatic mode is very conservative, but its a lot of fun to drive in manual mode. The engine is *very* smooth and quiet, almost too quiet for those of us who enjoy hearing an engine rev....

Interior: Very stylish interior. Everything is of high quality, except the vanity mirrors, which feel very cheap and flimsy. It has a huge glove box, large trunk, independently folding rear seats....and a politically incorrect lighter & ashtray are included!

Handling: It has a rigid suspension and hangs tight into curves. You get a lot of feedback from the road, but the ride isn't harsh at all.
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    "We have not seen any CEL issues with any of the MZ3's we have sold... Is this a canadian thing? Gas?"

It's colder up there, maybe that's a contributing factor.

Are there any incentives on the Mazda3?
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I was wondering...we have 10 MZ3 on the road so far and no CEL problems. But most have only had thier cars for less than 2 weeks.... I just happen to notice more canadian flags than americans flags with CEL problems, I'm not picking on canadians, even though they are to blame for celine dion and mad cow ;) The reason I ask about the gas is due to some problems we had in the past with gasoline....Here in the US there are over 60+ different formula's of gasoline sold, it has been blamed for a whole list of problems.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    CELs, Mad Cow, Celine Dion, yet no mention of Bryan Adams or Terrance & Phillip? What's going on?
  • Options
    it has some to do with all those ultra-liberal politicians up there? ;)
  • Options
    groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    The fact that we're not a conservative theocracy is setting off check engine lights across the country.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that is struggling with the Mazda3-vs-Mazda6 decision? This is making me nuts. Even after a back-to-back drive yesterday I can't decide. They're both great cars. I called my car insurance company and there is only a small difference in rates between the two, so that's not going to help at all.
  • Options
    Ha, that's it then!
  • Options
    The 3 interior is vastly superior to the 6 which feels cheaper/plasticky.

If exteriors are deemed equal, if handling is deemed equal, if torque is deemed equal, take the 3. You are going to spend most of your time INSIDE the car anyway.

Plus: If you were to buy the 3 in Canada, you'd get a free X Box.

They aren't giving anything out for the 6 I don't think...How about the Baren*ked Ladies greatest hits??
  • Options
    Does that make us a liberal hypocracy?
  • Options
    howhohowho Member Posts: 77
    The reason Canadians get more CEL's than anybody else is that when its -25 outside, you can't feel your hands or the the gas cap anymore, never mind clicking it three times.
  • Options
    You're right, I should stop agonizing over it and just go get the Mazda3. I thought the Mazda3 interior was nicer, but not as quiet as the Mazda6s. A little more noise is something you can get used to, but not inferior design. I rented a Jetta for a week, and at first I thought it was noisy, but after a couple of days I didn't even think about it.

Don't know about the liberal hypocracy in Canada, but we have plenty of those types here. ;)
  • Options
    hope you are aware that the current incentives runs until Jan 02. Who knows what will happen afterward.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "The 3 interior is vastly superior to the 6 which feels cheaper/plasticky."

It's funny you say that because the Mazda3 uses cheaper dash materials than the Mazda6. The only advantage of the 3 interior IMO is that it doesn't have the silver center stack. The dash covering and the main LCD display on the Mazda6 are better than the 3's. Mags have compared the dash covering in the Mazda6 to BMW. BMW and Mazda6 dash material do look similiar, they are both soft touch, and have similiar textures. The Mazda3 has the less desireable and cheaper hard plastic. Besides that, I don't see a huge difference in interior materials quality between the 6 and 3.
  • Options
    Yes, I know. I suspect that sales will be slow after the holidays and inventory will be increasing, so my guess is that the incentives may be increased, but that's just a guess on my part. In any case, the 3.9% they are offering isn't much better than the 3.99% I can get through AAA (no down payment, no application fee), so that's pretty much a wash.

I'm more concerned that they will sell the one that's there, meaning I'll have to hunt for one with the equippment I want if they sell it. Then again, the one they have has a really low VIN (#08500), so maybe it's not such a bad thing if I get a later built unit.

Then there's the Winning Blue vs Strato Blue issue to make it even more confusing.
  • Options
    all that should torment you. Do you get enough sleep? Say this at night:

one Mazda3,
    two Mazda3,
    three Mazda3,
  • Options
    To My question:

Dear Mazda,

I would like to ask whereas Mazda3 owners could change the factory oil earlier than the recommended by the manual, i.e., around 1000 miles. I wonder whereas the factory oil is a special formulated break-in oil or just a normal oil (5W-20), and whereas it's would be harmful to make the first oil change too early. Could you please provide the information about the factory oil.

Mazda responses

Dear Bruno,

Thank you for contacting Mazda North American Operations. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you.

We recommend changing the oil as listed in the Owners Manual. In regards to your question, please understand I'm not technically trained and therefore not in a position to instruct on the effects of changing the oil early. For this I would recommend that you contact the factory-trained technicians at authorized Mazda dealerships.

The vehicle comes with 5W-20 oil from the factory.
  • Options
    shroudshroud Member Posts: 78
    Actually the ad in the paper here says you get an Xbox with the purchase of "any new Mazda". I figure that includes the 6.

I drove today on the first cold day in about 2 weeks (-16c, which feels cold after 2 weeks of -5). The heater definitely is a let down for me. It gets plenty warm enough, but takes forever to warm up. I'm actually really surprised how long it takes. My Paseo heats up before I leave my subdivision. The 3 takes me halfway to my destination before even becoming vaguely warm. That's my one beef with the car. Everything else so far is great.

Jarrett
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    Mazda6 vs Mazda3:

newcar31's right, the interior materials are of higher quality on the Mazda6. It's just that the silver stack on the Mazda6 may give the impression it's cheaper (that silver stack is not for everyone). I used to know the supplier for the Flat Rock assembled Mazda6 silver stack (don't remember it anymore), and I'm very sure it actually costs Mazda more to make than the black Mazda3 center stack.

Mazda3 engine oil from factory:

I'm 90% sure the factory fill is just regular 5W-20 (i.e. no break-in oil). As such, there's no issues doing the first oil change early.

Mazda3 CEL:

I'm very, very interested to see how this goes. The N. American-spec Mazda6 2.3l had the same issues. Interestingly all the CEL's appear to be from 2.3l's (but again, most early adoptors are probably 2.3l customers).
  • Options
    Local dealer called me after I made an inquiry on the AAA pricing program. $300 over invoice on any Mazda3, no other fees added. Not bad.