Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota 4Runner Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
edited January 28 in Toyota
I am looking into a 2003 4-Runner. Just wanting to find out what most people are paying for it. Please post all models and accessories.

Comments

• The 2 dealers I have been working with are selling a pretty much loaded (no naviagtion)Limited MSRP slightly over 40,100 for $ 36,300 and 36,900.
  • Two weeks ago I purchased a V8 SR5 MSRP: $34,849.
    I paid: $31,200. Included Sun roof, upgraded JBL stereo with changer, anti theft system, V8, and lots more!
  • beagles3beagles3 Posts: 132
    Was that a 4x4? Or 4x2?
  • sticker 36,300 otd for 33,000 with sunroof, upgraided jbl, etc....
  • North Pole Alaska Purchased the one and only Sport 4x4 Multi Mode /V6 Stratosphere Mica Blue with Power Moon roof Black Running Boards Double Decker Cargo System Rear Spoiler Daytime Running Lamps
    Preferred Accessory Package

MSRP $33631
    My TMV $32200 with Auto Service Company
    Edmunds $33300

Dealer in Anchorage wanted $226 Less, but had additional paper work/admin $$ that would have eaten up any savings, plus who would travel 400 miles one way to save a few peanuts???

Also, Winterization Package here in North Pole was $355 for Battery Warmer, Block Heater, Oil Pan Heater, and all synthetic lubricants for differential, tranny, brake fluid, and radiator protection to -60 F, versus Anchorage price of $595 for a Block Heater and fluid change out.

The day before I took delivery of the Sport, the one and only Limited sold for full price $37,600.
    I'm pleased with the deal I got, and really feel comfortable with the dealership in every aspect, especially for warranty and service needs. They're holding for me a Toyota Extended Warranty 7yr/100,000 miles with $0 deductible for $1400- the Nye Dealership wanted $2295 for the same product.
  • I have to admit. I was impressed with the increase in size in the 2003 4Runner. It is slightly shorter than the Explorer and longer than the 2003 Honda Pilot. But the Explorer and Pilot have one feature still missing in the bigger 4Runner. It is a 3rd row seat. It is especially for those like my girlfriend and me who just changed from a minivan to an SUV with the same seating room and better traction.

With that problem, the 4Runners are overpriced. And it is bad when their standard V6 has more horsepower than the optional V8. Our current SUV I highly recommend over the 4Runner and the other 2 I covered we got is a 2003 Chevrolet EXT Trailblazer LT with its standard V6. It has plenty of horsepower. It is more than the 4Runner's V6 or V8. But the EXT Trailblazer's optional V8 has more horsepower than its standard V6. I hope Toyota straighten those problems out with their 2004's. I called both to their attention. The rest is on them.

For those not needing as much passenger room, I highly recommend the 2003 4Runner. It has more cargo room than the 2002. But I suggest getting it with the standard 4.0L V6. I hope this helps.
  • Performance
    Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 4 liters
    Base Engine Type: V6 -1 Horsepower: 245 hp
    Max Horsepower: 5200 rpm Torque: 282 ft-lbs.
    Max Torque: 3800 rpm Maximum Payload: 1060 lbs.

Performance
    Base Number of Cylinders: 8 Base Engine Size: 4.7 liters
    Base Engine Type: V8 -1 Horsepower: 235 hp
    Max Horsepower: 4800 rpm Torque: 320 ft-lbs.
    torque is were its at not hp 10 points is not big
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    For more general comments, try the Toyota 4Runner discussion.

Steve, Host
  • vodgutvodgut Posts: 162
    I've test driven both the TrailBlazer and the 4Runner. For me there was no comparison. I would not get the TrailBlazer over the 4Runner. The TB has a 275HP 6 cylinder (at least the one I tested) and the 4Runner has a 235HP 8 cylinder. But with more torque, the 4Runner felt much, much faster and had a lot more low-end grunt.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a V8 TB EXT I could drive. Maybe it would do better, but it's also a heavier, larger vehicle than the 4Runner. However, I just wasn't as impressed with the interior, the looks, the reliability record, or a lot of other stuff about the TB in order to make it nearly as appealing as the 4Runner.

As for the 3rd row seat, I don't really care that it's 'missing'. For me, it would be more of a bug than a feature. I rarely cart more than 2 or 3 people anyway. There's always a minivan if you really need more seating. I do wish the new 4Runner did have a bit more cargo room, though, it seems a little below par for the class.
  • To the person touting the Chevy Trailblazer, I feel sorry for you for buying that GM vehicle instead of a Toyota. I had GM's in the past, will never give them my business again. I've done Ford, same thing there. I've never tried Buick, Chrysler, or Dodge and probably never will except for when I get my Viper ;).

I just traded in my unreliable Ford on a new 03 SR5 V8 and love the truck so far. I had a 96 Mustang GT that I loved and babied but it sure was not a quality vehicle. Too many little things going wrong, stuff that should never break or wear out were falling appart. The GT only had 57k miles on it when I traded it in.

Back to the subject.. After having to work for just over three hours on the tradein price, I had to pay sticker which was 29,800 something US. They told me after going up 4k on what they'd give me for my Ford I had no room to work on the price for the 4runner. I expect my new Toyota to last much longer than my last vehicle.

My brother had a 96 4runner and finally got rid of it after hitting 250,000 miles on the original motor. It was in bad shape, but you think that Chevy will live that long?
  • beagles3beagles3 Posts: 132
    I feel sorry for you....You feel great and I am happy for you,but, let's talk in a few years and see how you really feel....My motto is "You get what you pay for" or "Pay me now or pay me later". I truly hope that I am wrong about your TB! I just have been there and done that with the Chevy, Ford and Jeep!!
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    It lacks a modern 4WD system. Auto 4WD is a poor excuse compared to the 4Runners Full-Time system. It also lacks the butter smooth V8 of the 4Runner. I absolutely lacks the reliability of a Toyota product.

Let's see: drivetrain, engine, and reliability vs third row seat. Hmmmmm, which should I choose?
  • mcdonpmcdonp Posts: 1
    I got the vehicle for $200 over invoice or $29,600. It is the Blk Sport, fully loaded... sunroof, running boards, 6 CD changer, rear spoiler, rear audio system..... did not come with 4 wheel drive, however, did some off-road this past weekend in Owens VAlley... no complaints.
    I'm very satisfied with the handling as well as looks to this black and silver colored 4 Runner.
  • Got a 2003 Limited V8, 2wd (my mistake-should have gotten 4WD), 6CD, sunroof, no NAV, for $35,400 after doing research on Edmunds. List was about $37000. 4Runner is great; but after an outing in snow and ice, I should have gotten the 4WD for another $2K. Rear end limited slip works well, but the truck is very capable, despite its prettiness. With 4WD it would do wonders and go anywhere in comfort and style.
  • I live in central N.J. and looking for a good deal on a 2003 4-runner.I am willing to travel 100miles if the deal is right. Please let me know A.S.A.P if anyone has a dealer to work with me.
              Thanks
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    Genemachine1, you could try getting some quotes via our Dealer Price Quotes link once the '03's go live there.

Meanwhile you can get dealer emails from the toyota.com site and try some of the ideas in Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying before you leave home. Good luck shopping!

Steve, Host
  • Last week bought a 2003 sport edition 4x2 v6, with black running boards, preferred accessory package for $28,059. I consider this to be a very
    good deal since Edmunds TMV with the accesory package added is $28,471 while cars direct.com pricing is $28,503. Bought it in southern California.
  • I got a 2003 4Runner Sport V8 4WD with these options:

* Moonroof
    * 6-cd stereo w/ 10 speakers
    * Running boards
    * Rear spoiler
    * Side curtain airbags
    * Garage door opener
    * Silly double-decker cargo thing
    * Floor mats, cargo net, first aid kit

MSRP: $35,921
    My out-the-door price was $32,652
  • Hi,

I just came home with a V8 LTD with side and curtain air bags, JBL upgrade, floor mats, sunroof, running lights for 35550, about 600 over invoice. I suspect I might have been able to squeeze a few more hundred out of them, but there was only one unit in stock with the options I wanted and I wanted it this weekend...I think 4000$ under MSRP is pretty fair, and I had a wonderful dealership experience...no tricks or BS, no ad fees, no ADM or prep fees, just a solid deal. Dealer was Luther Toyota, Golden Valley Minnesota.

So far, awesome in the snow...childs play for this vehicle.
  • Congrats on the LTD V8....By chance is yours 4WD or 2WD? and What color?
    Thanks