Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln 2001--Daytime Running Lights Not Working

remo9344remo9344 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Lincoln
I purchased a used 2001 Towncar about 6 months ago and recently noticed the DRL's were not operating. The dealer told me that the instrument cluster had been changed out because it was manufactured for sale in Canada so therefore an aftermarket instrument cluster was installed. The new cluster doesn't allow the DRL's to operate...he said. He basically acted like the DRL's did not have to work in Canada which I now know is not true because Canada requires them.
I knew this was a Canadian car but manufactured in the US because the VIN number starts with"1". I ran a CarFax report before I bought it and everything appeared on the up and up.
I feel this problem is under warranty (I have 15100) miles on it and the dealer is obligated to fix it. Also does anyone know if it might be easy for me to look for a fuse that may be missing or blown.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Carfax is useful but is really only second-hand information that is not complete. This car could have been smashed to pieces and Carfax wouldn't know about it if the car hadn't actually been totalled by an insurance company.

This is not to imply your car was in an accident, only to advise you to take nothing for granted regarding the car's history.

Hopefully some of our Canadian friends can verify the DRL story one way or the other.
  • scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    but on the LS the only cars that have DRLs are the ones made for export to Canada. Lincoln is generally consistent with this sort of option across their entire model line. Sounds nit-picky, I know, but a US dealer may not be obligated to fix it under warranty. I've found Lincoln customer service to be pretty responsive to questions and comments. Contact information at www.lincolnvehicles.com
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    Sounds like a Grey Market car alright, but I am at a loss as to why the instrument cluster had to be changed, or if it really did, why that would prevent the DRLs from working OR, why it should be an aftermarket product. Ford has plenty. Sounds like a creative explanation to me. I would agree, call the Lincoln Hotline.

Secondly, why do you care if the DRLs work or not? They not mandated in the US, thank goodness. On the Chevy boards, there are thousands of people running around with their E-brakes partially on to shut theirs off!
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    why not just cheat the e-brake switch instead of click the e-brake actuator on? that could kill the brakes for you. makes no sense to me, that's bordering on dangerously too lazy.
    It's amazing to me too.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    navigator3740,
    why do you care if the DRLs work or not? They not mandated in the US, thank goodness.
    Well, that is not entirely accurate.
    According to DOT, if it is a factory equipped light, then it must work. If you are in an area that does emmissions testing and they are thorough, then they also do a safety check. If all factory installed lighting is not working, they can fail the vehicle on the testing.
    Mind you, I am talking about a state run facility and I stated they may fail the vehicle.
    Oh, I'm in Nevada, home of the unregulated. We barely have emissions testing here, and no safety checks at all. So you never know if the 72 Bonneville behind you can stop or not. We didn't have state highway speed limits until 75 when they were federally mandated! It's the last frontier.....but we have no respect for DRLs here.
This discussion has been closed.