Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New S40/V50

cermedescermedes Posts: 8
edited March 23 in Volvo
I read on another site that Volvo has finished retooling the Gent factory and is already making pre-production models of the new S40/V50 cars.
Does anybody have more information in this matter? For example, what these cars will look like or what it means for them to be Focus II based: better or worse than current model?
The cars will be introduced in Frankfurt in September I suppose.

The question now is will they come out in the US as MY 04 cars in the fall or not?

c

Comments

• kogyokogyo Posts: 4
    Automotive News reported the new Volvo S40/V40 series is supposed to debut this fall as a 2004 model. It will use the same platform as the new Ford Focus. Styling is based on the now familiar S60 and S80 series.
  • thanks kogyo

I'm surprised, that there have not been any pictures of the new S40 on the net anywhere.
    Did automotive news say anything about the available engines eg. will there be a nice turbo?

u
    Try the website http://volvospy.com/spy/s40v50/s40v50.php. There are artist sketches and a listing of possible engines.

There was a photoshop of the v50 but I can't remember what site it was on. Hope this helps.
    I found the site try http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=227850

Remember - this is a photoshop but I hope the sedan looks this good.
  • Given the likelihood of using the Ford Focus platform should I jump all over the 2003 at $4,000 under invoice?
  • sully

The next generation S40 is based on the NEXT generation Ford Focus - not the current one. And even the current one is actually a great handling car.
    And another thing: the current S40 shares a platform with the european Mitsubishi Carisma - one of the least carismatic cars for sale today.
    I truely believe the next S40 will be better in every way. European Fords are actually really good cars. E.g. the current, german-built Ford Mondeo is at least as good as a Passat. And the Focus is no worse than any Golf.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    actaully, i think you have it backwards. The Focus will be based on the V40 platform, which is also going to be used for the next Mazda protege. More like they are all being developed at the same time on the same basic platform.

So no, the Volvo won't be tainted by being based on a Focus. The new car should be a huge leap forward, since the current platform is nothing special.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Will Volvo hold the line on pricing or will it raise the price up a little bit? Any photos would be excellent! Post them on this discussion!
    they really can't raise the price much, or they will bump into the pricing on the S60. Not that the current car goes anywhere near MSRP these days.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• The all new X3 will arrive on the shores in November 2003 and it is looking really nice but what about the Volvo XC50 the one that is suppose to compete against the BMW X3. There has not been any information on it Volvo is keeping it under tight security. Not even edmunds has it listed in the future vechicles forecast section will Volvo be able to compete with the new X3 when it arrives. Anyone with info please reply.
    there was a link on another thread recently (slast day or so) with a pic of an XC50. Quite cool looking, similar to a XC90.

Look at the XC90 thread postings for the last couple of days.

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    Why do you have to be ashamed of driving a European Ford? Even the so-so early '70's Cortina/Tunus is some beautiful sculpture I'd urge Ford or anyone else to re-create in modern-day form just like the Mini & Beetle! Even Rolls & other European cars are unreliable anyway.

Mazda3, a reliable Japanese car based on an excellent-dynamic European car(the Focus II), is the ideal combination.

Volvo S40/V40, an unreliable Dutch-built car based on a disappointing-dynamic Japanese car, is the worst possible combination & is the 1st thing the new boss Ford had to get rid off his mind as soon as possible! So Ford is taking the NECESSARY action to do so, while all other Volvo designs get to stay!

Many of your snob-appeal attitude is causing Ford to mislead the public that the new C-platform design is the combined work of Volvo and... Volvo probably only contributed some underhood front-end packaging for crashworthiness.

The new C-platform Focus II is a genuine Ford ingenuity! Patented by Ford! & Mazda replaced the crude Ford drivetrain.

FYI, years ago BMW almost adopted the Focus platform for its future fwd-compact project!

Recent April Automobile magazine called the Focus SVT "almost-M3 like" in important/expensive areas and its ability to absorb road bumps "like a 3-series"!

VW already hired the "famous" Focus designer & pretty much "copied" the rear half of the Focus platform for the next Golf/Jetta/Passat!

So, be proud of the new S40/V50's "Focus" origin! Or go find some other car. From the side-view drawing of the new S40 sedan, you can see the present Focus sedan's "beautiful silhouette"! & that explained why the superior Ford design contributed so much more comfortable interior space, enough to put the Volvo S60 to shame! The Volvo C-platform version might get better quietness than the Ford/Mazda's, though.

Remember in the early '90's when Toyota advertised the new Camry as "Lexus technology"? What kind of crap is "Lexus technology"? Is there such thing as "Lexus technology"? These Lexus LS400/GS300/SC300/ES300 were just called Toyota Celcius/Aristo/Soarer/Windom in Japan! Back then, the name "Lexus" was just a "tourist trap" for the American (& maybe some 3rd-world countries') blind suckers. These Acura/Infiniti "snob brands" don't even exist in Britain, etc.!
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    I just read Brit's Auto Express Weekly special issue today. Volvo will spawn several different C-platform cars to compete w/ every 3-series model ranging from the M3, convertible, to the X3 SUV.

This platform-based vehicles are light-weight enough to achieve excellent handling/dynamic. The sporty C50 coupe(or hatch) will get up to 200hp 5-cyl turbo w/ S60-type AWD/active-damper system. Eventually there will be a 300hp version.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Actually will get a 220 hp turbo 5 for the US.

The P1 chassis is a VOLVO chassis, not a Ford chassis.
    Mazda and Ford will use lesser versions of the chassis for their products.
    Yes there will be a small SUV, a hardtop convertible, a sedan and a wagon form the P1 chassis.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,892
    i hope this is true. A hardtop convertible? This is in the volvo line, right? when? when? when?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Probably 2005
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    Wake up, everyone. I have a question. Is the Volvo S40 going to compete more against the IS300 or ES300? I assume ES300 because S60 fills the IS300 spot. I think the styling of the 2005 S40/V50 is wonderful!!!
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    Will you please rename the discussion since we know "when" they are coming? Or is this too much trouble for you?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,892
    I assume you must have reversed those. The IS is smaller than the ES. Therefore, the S40 would be comparable to the IS while the S60 is already comparable to the ES.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

This discussion has been closed.