Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New S40/V50

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    "Yes, your are correct but that was recently changed. Up until that change CR stated the 3 Series reliability had fallen below average and the car was no longer recommended. The same was true with Audi A4, Mercedes C240, and VW Jetta. There were not many German cars recommended by CR other than the VW Passat."

There's an explanation.

The 325i was mixed w/ some S. African made ones, which had some bad reputation, I heard.

The Passat 2.8 is the only less-unreliable one because only that old 2.8 V6 Audi engine didn't have the coil recall. Audi cars use their own newer V6 w/ 3.0 displacement. Real VW's(read transversely mounted engine) don't use Audi engines except the 5-valve 1.8 turbo. The 2.8 Jetta/Golf use VW's own 15-degree VR6, not Audi's V6. The only VW engine used in the Audi-design Passat is the limited-production W8, which is another bulky-weight stupid idea next to the Phaeton, both of which will be discontinued soon!

The new S40 is a mix of the engine/Belgian factory of the (ok-reliability)S60 & the design/parts sharing of the German-made Focus, which topped the reliability rating in Germany.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,691
    We're really going to have to wait for U.S. test numbers of production models, but I'm willing to bet the T5 is going to spank the 325. I think it will be closer to the 330 in performance (yet, again, far cheaper).

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I like the console.

Maybe they did it for driver's with nice shoes. Your date could glance over and say, "Nice Bruno Maglis you have there".

Total ice breaker.

-juice (not being entirely serious)
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    I did not even realize Volvo was coming out with a new S40 until I saw it at the auto show. The look of the car, and especially the interior, really have me interested.

Interested enough that I will attend the Chicago area Volvo drive experience next month.

Volvo wants to sell what, 20 - 30k of these per year in the US? I like to think there are at least 20 to 30k people like me who really love the design.
    "We're really going to have to wait for U.S. test numbers of production models, but I'm willing to bet the T5 is going to spank the 325. I think it will be closer to the 330 in performance (yet, again, far cheaper)."

I thought so, too, based on the max 236 torque available since 1500 rpm. But AUTOCAR gave it 7.0 sec 0-60 & 7.2 to the 325i. & then there's the turbo's "every time" boost-built-up time delay.

I never felt the max torque by 1500 rpm 'cause by the time it takes to spool up the boost, I already accelerated way past 1500 rpm. I did feel the boost coming up in the power curve at a much higher rpm WAY after I took off from stop.

AUTOCAR said, "Although light-pressure turbo installations aren't known for their red line charges, there's a real laziness in the way this five goes about its work. Below 2000rpm there's very little action and the boost arrives with such a polite surge it removes much of the excitement from driving the T5. Very soft throttle response makes meting out the power frustratingly inaccurate, too. A glance at the speedo will tell you the T5 has real pace on the road, especially from 3000-4000rpm, but overtaking and using the engine's full performance often feels like too much hard work."

So the 325i can't match the T5 around 3000-4000rpm. Other than that...
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    motorweek on speed channel will have a test on the new s40 on the next episode.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,691
    I think you are putting WAY too much weight on that one review.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,182
    I've never been so enthusiastic about a wagon until the V50 (and it's sibling, Mazda 3 hatch) came along! Now, if it was possible to get the manual tranny AND the AWD with the T5, I'll be the first one through the door at my local dealer.

Looking forward to April 10th at New York!
  • josh684josh684 Posts: 55
    I got my S40 today and I love it. At first I was suppose to get a Base, Black Inside, Black Outside. My dealer made a swap for one, but when it arrived it was the wrong color inside. I then requested a Flint Grey, they told me they could get it....but later that day he told me the dealer that had it did not want to do a swap. At this point I had wasted a whole day at the dealer. Dealer then offered me a Flint Grey, Black Leather inside that he had on the lot. Premium, and Convience package. I got it for invoice because they were sorry for all the hassel.I also got no dealer fee because my Father had just bought a Infiniti QX56 a week before at the same dealer. So at 26,300....I got a hell of deal.
  • caminacamina Posts: 31
    Hey Lev,
              Relax. I'm just one person with an opinion. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. I encourage and enjoy other opinions.

This is a car forum not a sugar-coating factory. The S40 is a car, not a family member, so lets not take auto critisism personally.

Your right about the BMW "snobby" label. I think the dealers/service are either snobby, crooks or both.

Lets see what happens this weekend at the drive event.
    I was under the impression final assembly for all 3 Series was South Africa. This was the case with my 1988 and every 3 Series I have looked at from the past year.
    The Acura TSX fully loaded goes for $26.9K. The S40 with the Premium Package goes for $27.1K.

Acura's goal is to sell 15K cars in the US. They are exactly on track to do so with not much to spare.

To say Volvo will sell 15K to 20K S40's is really reaching. However, If you throw in the huge customary Volvo rebate then it's possible.
    Josh,
            Normally, how much are they discounting the S40's ?
    invoice on the NEW S40? Congrats!
    "I was under the impression final assembly for all 3 Series was South Africa."

only the 325i sedans, I've seen. & only on every other shipment. Rest of the 325i sedans are assembled in Germany.
    Volvo's original plan was to only bring over 6.5k wagons. My understanding is public interest is already pushing that figure up.

Sedans generally outsell their wagon cousins about three to one. I think 20k or so is in the books.

That Acura TSX is one tawdry looking overwrought piece of work if you ask me. Too bad so many people buy them.
    Did not want to budge from MSRP. All they would offer was no dealer fees.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    "Acura's goal is to sell 15K cars in the US. They are exactly on track to do so with not much to spare."

well it's not because they can't sell them. They just don't build many of those things for some reason. But there are tons of ohio built TLs on the lot.
    Invoice at this point is unbelievable, they must really want to keep your family's business. Congrats.

Heck, you could turn around and re-sell for a small profit, probably.

-juice
  • new4doornew4door Posts: 5
    how long until the local Volvo dealer is discounting the new S40? By summer or later?
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    but will you be able to get a manual tranny on the S40/V50 (more curious about the wagon). And if so, is it only with certain motors or packages? Seems like I can only find them equiped with autos on Volvo's site or Edmunds.
    I know the S40 will come 5 Speed during the summer. I think as the 2005 Model. There will be a 6 Speed on the T5.
    Like I said, if Volvo offers a big rebate then they may sell 15K maybe 20K but thats it. I thought you were talking S40 sedans.

What specifically don't you like about the TSX ? I thought it was a nice car. The only thing I don't like about it was it's a lot of money for a 4 cylinder.

It has good reviews, it's made by a quality company, and has has the lowest TCO in it's category.
    I have a problem with dealers not giving discounts especially in this economy. When I looked at the TSX when it first came out thats what they told me and I said "See Ya".

First off, if dealers don't deal then why do we need them ?

Secondly, there is no car in today's market and economy that is so special that it deserves no discount.

Lastly, why should any consumer pay sticker for a new model car when you know you will be used as beta tester ?

They all play the game. The factory sends each dealer 3 or 4 cars at first. Then all the dealers tell thier customers they are selling like hot cakes and have nothing left.

They want you to think that a dime-a-dozen car is as rare as an autographed 1918 Red Sox World Series Program.
    I include the wagon and sedan for sales numbers as it is my understanding the industry people usually do that as well.

You and I, it appears, have almost opposite taste in sedans at least.

I am fairly impressed with TSX mechanicals and would not mind the 4. What I do not like is the, for me, overworked chrome-like body accents and the busy interior.

I accept that many do like the car. With Acura keeping US shipments down, I do not doubt that it will have no problem selling them at list. As Venus points out, the TLs are not moving.
    The local Volvo dealer tells me there will be a manny in the V50.

I know there is a manny in the S40. Appears the dealers bought mostly autos. The only mannys I have heard about are the ones in the Volvo drive experience.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,674
    the sticks won't come out until the summer as '05s. I think it will be the same time that the V50 arrives, and should also be when the AWD version appears.

I don't remember if the AWD and stick will be available together, or just FWD/stick.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

The answer to that is simple - wait. The market determines the price of any vehicle. Either that or it won't sell.

First on the block always pays more.

Remember the New Beetle on E-Bay that sold for $25 grand? Could have waited and bought one today with a rebate and at invoice with 0% financing and free floor mats. The dealer will beg you to take it for $10 grand less that the guy on E-bay.

-juice
    The XC90 Stayed at MSRP for a while. It also still sells pretty close to MSRP I think. So if that is ant indication, the S40 might do the same. Alot of people like the car, It does turn heads when I drive it.
This discussion has been closed.