Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New S40/V50

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The convertible C50 is approx 1 yr away.
    It will feature a retracting hardtop.
    So it will look like a coupe with the roof up.

No word on whether or not we will recieve a fixed roof car as well.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,432
    the V50 ain't a coupe.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• I know, I know,
    Couple of things:
    #1. I swear, I saw a reference to V50 in the original message, and when I was looking, I was thinking that V usually stands for the wagon. But,
    #2. The movie looked cool, and I decided to post those links regardless of my doubts.
  • josh684josh684 Posts: 55
    Is there any free serivce for volvo 3 years/36k? Free oil changes or something of that sort? Also, I was wondering....Are EPA MPG, do that figure in Premium Fuel?

Thanks
    Josh
  • josh684josh684 Posts: 55
    Inside the gas tank, its list what my tires should be inflated to. Its says 36 PSI, if I am carrying 5 people....30 PSI if i normally only ride with 3. What advantage do I get when tires are inflated only to 30 PSI?
  • Softer ride and more even wear.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    "What advantage do I get when tires are inflated only to 30 PSI?"

Larger foot-print during braking.

Since I corner a lot, my tire wear tend to be more on the outer side. So I usually inflate to 44 psi, as the tires will lose pressure gradually anyway. Then flip inside out during mid life to even out the wear, as most radial tires today allow that.
    "Is there any free serivce for volvo 3 years/36k?"

I believe so.

"Free oil changes or something of that sort?"

Only every..., not every 3 months or 3k mi.

"Also, I was wondering....Are EPA MPG, do that figure in Premium Fuel?"

If the tags on the car sez premium unleaded required, then yes.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 797
    Here's what you give up!

Fuel economy, wet traction, snow traction, steering crispness, and tire durability.

I think it is better to always use the higher value. Then you'll never overload your tires.

Hope this helps.
  • For our education can you elaborate a bit? It would be really interesting to learn more details about the process.
    My understanding of tire mechanics is that you need the "optimal" size of contact patch. Therefore tire manufacturers provide several sets of recommended pressures for the different load conditions, that will allow for that optimum and do not advise both - over pressure and under pressure.

Also my understanding is that you trade fuel economy and "crispness" of steering for safety, and I am not sure of how the slightly bigger (and actually optimal, recommended) contact patch can reduce the wet and snow traction. My understanding is that it is other way around.

I would appreciate if you can provide the links to some info. My knowledge is based on some internet reading and on what I have learned when I was 17 - almost 30 years ago, The technology could change...
     Besides the leather & moonroof, it adds to the 2.4i:

1)one power seat(driver) w/ no more adjustment than the manual driver seat

2)auto climate control(still no charcoal)

3)Audio Control in Steering Wheel(suppose to worth $50, as this is how much it deducts off the premium sound option on the T-5 which already has the A.C. in Steering Wheel std )

4)leather shift knob

5)Wood trim(still fake)

So are these worth much?

while adds to the T-5:

1)one power seat(passenger) w/ more adjustment including cushion height & tilt plus manual lumbar.

2)Memory Function for Driver's (already pwr)Seat and Exterior Mirrors

The above is worth more!

The BMW 325i, which doesn't have std pwr driver seat to begin with, charges $995 for a similar "pwr-seats w/ memory" package but only adds the cushion-tilt-adjustment feature for both seats, while its weak lumbar support remains non-adjustable for both seats!

Sometimes these European cars are black mailing us rich Americans by keeping these nice features on the high-end models only, as the foreign-spec cars don't got this kind of B.S.

For example, the new Honda Accord has good driving position even w/o the cushion-tilt from the optional power seat. & its lumbar support, even w/o adjustment, already provide very good support! Wonder why it sells better?
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 797
    Elaborate? You bet!

What you are actually referring to when you talk about different pressures for different load conditions is "The Load Table". This is based on a complex formula that in theory gives you the same deflection, and again in theory, the same footprint. However, the footprint pressure distribution is different because the load is different.

So what happens when you use something different than that? Let's assume a higher pressure.

A higher pressure results in a slightly stiffer tire, and less deflection. Since deflection results in internal friction, which consumes energy, higher pressure = better fuel economy.

Stiffer tire = less sideways deflection as well, so the steering becomes a little more responsive.

Hydroplaning resistance is a function of how effectively the tire penetrates thru the film of water. A higher pressure, with its smaller footprint, results in better penetration. This is also true for wet traction and snow traction as penetrating to the road surface always results in a better friction than riding on the film of water or snow.

Loss of dry traction? Sure, but you've got gobs of that compared to wet traction and you don't want to be changing your inflation pressure every time it rains (which is what those of us who race in the rain do).

And my favorite subject - tire durability.

Higher inflation pressures result in lower operating temperatures. Heat is the tire killer and anything you do to reduce the operating temperature will result in better durability.

Because you have a stiffer tire, you'll also get less squirm as the tire goes thru the footprint, and therefore less wear. Even though the footprint is less than optimal, the rate of wear slows down faster than the change in footprint changes the wear pattern. Therefore, the overall wear life is also extended.

IMHO, increased inflation pressures have a better overall safety postion and you get some added benefits with very little negative.

Hope this helps.
  • Thank you very much, Barry
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The firdt 4 sched services are free.
    Includes oil changes.
    Services must be completed within 3 yrs or 36,000 miles
    Motor Trend just did an interesting article on this subject:
    http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0405_tires/index1- .html

So I went to the auto show this past weekend and finally got to see the new vehicles in person and crawl around them.

I gotta say, unfortunately, that I was disappointed. My sister said "well, what did you expect for the price??!" And, I guess she's right. I was just hoping that it would still feel like my S70. But, it doesn't. I felt like I was in a different brand of car (cheaper) completely. I'm not saying its a bad car or anything like that, just not what I'm looking for.

It was also quite a bit smaller on the inside than all the reviews and comments had me believe. Folks can preach all they want that its almost as big as the S60 on the inside. I didn't get that feeling at all. Definitely felt like a compact car to me.

The S60R on the other hand .... :)

• benjaminsbenjamins Posts: 56
    So I went to the auto show this past weekend and finally got to see the new vehicles in person and crawl around them.

I gotta say, unfortunately, that I was disappointed. My sister said "well, what did you expect for the price??!" And, I guess she's right. I was just hoping that it would still feel like my S70. But, it doesn't. I felt like I was in a different brand of car (cheaper) completely. I'm not saying its a bad car or anything like that, just not what I'm looking for.

It was also quite a bit smaller on the inside than all the reviews and comments had me believe. Folks can preach all they want that its almost as big as the S60 on the inside. I didn't get that feeling at all. Definitely felt like a compact car to me.

The S60R on the other hand .... :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------ -------

Exactly what I thought. I don't think it helped that all of the interiors were grey. No contrast. Maybe the interior needs contrasting colors to really pop. I don't know. But coming out of the cx90, s80, and v70, the car felt cheaper and not in the same league. Unlike the Audi A4, Mercedes C, BMW 3, it doesn't feel like a small premium sedan or decontented version of the larger cars. It feels like an economy car. It doesn't feel as nice as the Honda Accord and I see no compelling reason, outside of any enthusiasts reasons, but none for most car buyers who aren't going to test cars at the limits and buy cars for room, comfort ,and utility with some measure of enjoyability to drive--it doesn't measure up. The interior isn't that appealing, nor is it very large inside. The seats aren't unbelieveably comfortable as the larger cars, just comfortable. The door panels are flat and plain. The console, while nice, isn't that distinctive. There's a lack of heft in the shifter and other areas of the car that is present in the other Volvos. It isn't close to being in the same realm as the s60, feels considerably downmarket from the s60 at least in terms of its interior. As far as the exterior goes, looks like a current design Volvo, but doesn't look as striking (or hefty) to my eyes as the s60 or as balanced as the s60 and xc90.

The R is lovely. Interior fit and finish, and much of the materials, as good as BMW. The back space is unacceptable. The next s60 needs to have more legroom and headroom in its rear seats. I wouldn't buy an s60 because of the limited rear space (I care about the comfort of my back seat passengers).

The xc90 is marvelous as well. Like it better than VW Taureg. More comfortable seats, more open, although not as ostensibly rich inside, interior makes sense and is well finished. 3rd row of seats have limited space. Fine SUV (but I wouldn't buy one due to its, I feel, excessive size).
  • benjaminsbenjamins Posts: 56
    "I was just hoping that it would still feel like my S70."

You know, I'm not that sure it feels better inside than the old s40. At least the old s40 had nice door panels and used much of the materials of the s70. The new s40 seems to use its own materials, and I don't find them convincing. At least not in grey. I like the padded dash, I wish there was a bit more to it. The console may work well, I'll have to see at the Volvo event . The doors slammed OK, better than the old s40. But the car seem kind of empty inside, not just clean and understated, but missing something.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'm scheduled for the DC event this Saturday, any suggestions? In other words, what to drive first, which lines are shorter, etc.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,857
    juice - I did the Boston event about 3 weeks ago. The lines were longest for T5 6 speed but never any longer than 2-3 minutes. I drove the S40i first as that line seemed shortest. If the setup is anything like Boston, you'll never really get out of 2nd gear - but there's lots of fun to be had in 2nd gear.

Take a moment to check out the teak lined porta-potties!!
    That's a must-see.

How's the food at the event? I'll be there around lunch time.

-juice
    Start w/ 16" 2.4i 1st, otherwise you might skid it out if you start w/ the 17" T-5.

Stick has short line & no waiting.

Time is limited, so be there early to watch the presentation & even video tape their comparison speech to see if it intrigues you in anyway.

Play with the seat/steering adjusters in the 2.4i indoor, so you can immediately tailor the car once you're on the track.

& watch the interesting climate control switches on the T-5. It seems to have the blue/red temperature button on both sides. & tell us about it.
    Seats - good suggestion.

Dual-zone setup? I'll look out for that.

-juice
    but ours uses only the right knob to adjust the temperature for both sides. I'm just wondering, since the left knob is also taken by the temp function, how do you adjust the fan speed. Just curious.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,857
    The food was disappointing compared to the Fire and Ice event from 2 years ago. Little finger sandwiches (iirc roast beef with apple mayo was one) with salad and brownies. The presentation was a little long - run by a guy from AMCI. They brought in a TSX, 330, and A4 onto the stage for comparison. MC then introduced the obligatory cliche: a cute pig-tailed blond woman who works at the OSD center in Gothesburg.

We used the dual zone and bun warmers in Boston as it was overcast, about 38 degrees, with a stiff breeze. All the Volvo folks were freezing!!
    Fire & Ice was cool, I caught that one also.

Hope our weather is better!

-juice
    “I gotta say, unfortunately, that I was disappointed. My sister said "well, what did you expect for the price??!"”

The price? The 2.4i already costs way more than the smooth-revving TSX when similarly equipped, & the T-5's near the 325i category. The 5-cyl 2.4i can't compete w/ the smooth-inline-6 325i 'cause it revs louder than the Mazda 3S's Mazda-developed Duratec 4-cyl!

Around here, we're having $6k discount on the S60 these days, so when do I begin to see the $6k discount on the new S40? ;-) Can't wait!

I'm sure all the conspiracy of keeping the back seat small in the S40/60 is to protect the rip-off S80. You lucky 850/S70 or even 240 DL owners got away with this b/c the S80 wasn't introduced yet.

I'm sure the better-dynamic new S40 has to come w/ a cheaper-looking & even dorky-styling interior to save rest of the Volvo line up.

Isn't it already a pain in the butt that the S40 2.4i equipped w/ the optional Sport Package still doesn't include the leather shifter just b/c this car is not the upper-trim T-5? While the Mazda3 requires the top-trim 2.3 S to let you have the std leather shifter, at least it's still a relatively inexpensive car & the steering-wheel audio control is already on almost every single Mazda3.
    A shift knob is a $40 accessory.

But don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. ;-)

-juice
  • socal007socal007 Posts: 23
    Volvomax,
    Spent some of my time today searching for info re: my original question, this is what I found.
    I liked the last sentence in the c/c article.
    "It is expected that Volvo will introduce the new C50 this summer,possibly along w/ a convertible model".
    Any comments ?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6940&sid=17- 8&n=158

http://www.swedespeed.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&alb- um=/Concept%20Cars/SCC
  • larscalarsca Posts: 60
    From what I heard, the C50 is now being called C70, and it's a hard top convertible that will go on sale in Europe in August and end up in the U.S. any time between Sep-Nov.

But don't take my word for it, because I've been wrong before (many times actually)!
This discussion has been closed.